Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

N. Senada posted:

Saying sir or ma’am is something I literally only say to people I do not respect

Who uses these words sincerely any more?
The military?

The south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dwarf Named Magnus posted:

just call everyone comrade, problem solved

This would probably be the most hilarious way to get fired from my job

I'm considering it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"fellow human"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deported to Canada posted:

I can see how using sir and ma'am may be assuming someone's gender and potentially inappropriate or some classist statement.

But I do tend to use 'mate' and 'friend' a lot and have lost count of the amount of times I've said 'excuse me, mate' only to be told 'I'M NOT YOUR MATE'

I think that people that respond negatively to others attempting to be polite should go choke on a bucket of dicks.

Yeah its pretty annoying when strangers call me BOSS or CHIEF or whatever and my mom gets really annoyed at southern women calling her SWEETIE or DARLIN' or HONEY or whatever but...

you can tell if they are attempting to be polite or not. Unless they are explicitly misgendering you or something there is no need to be confrontational about it, especially if it's a one off interaction like a restaurant server or something