Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Wizard Master posted:

Can anyone recommend some atmospheric suspenseful horror movies that don't rely on cheap "jump scares"? Movies that rely on plot/setting/atmosphere to make it scary instead

The Sentinel. Go in as fresh as you can because it's one of those movies that just gradually ramps up the weirdness. There's a few movies called The Sentinel, this one is from 1977. I'd also say The original 1974 Black Christmas. I can come up with all kinds of poo poo. You can PM me if you want a long rear end list of movies that fit.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

Why not post the long rear end list here?

I tend to make lists that can de daunting and I figured it might be easier to have a back and forth with the OP via PM to help narrow it down. I also just remembered there's a thread superficially for this in cinema discusso.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891340

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turpitude posted:

The best one is We Need to Talk About Kevin, masterfully made horror film.

It's not scary it's just sad and kind of gross. I can see maybe why one might call it a horror movie but it's really not.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

it's way more of a horror movie than any of the conjuring/insidious/cgi spooky ghost genre movies have to offer

That's mainly because they're bad movies. If we're just counting movies where disturbing poo poo happens we could call just about anything a horror movie. We Need to Talk About Kevin doesn't really use or display any of the conventions used in horror movies. There's no creeping unease (which is what I consider to be essential for an atmospheric horror film) because right from the get go we pretty much know exactly what to expect. It does have an escalation for sure but with one exception we're never really surprised at where it goes. I wouldn't say it's not worth watching because it is (not lightly). But I don't think it really fits what kind of thing the OP is probably looking for. It's disturbing not scary.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

the first time i watched it i had no idea why everyone was treating tilda swinton so poorly and there was A LOT of creeping unease
and i did not know from the get go what to expect

I guess maybe it depends on how much one knows going in. But once we know the setup we more or less have a good idea where this is going. I think that just throwing dramas with disturbing premises into the horror genre broadens things too much and is probably moving away from what the OP is looking for because that film is not the sort of thing people typically associate with the horror movies. I think part of what makes horror movies horror movies is that they're usually far enough removed from reality to not disturb us the way something like We Need to Talk About Kevin, Room, or Compliance would. The genre provides a sort of relief because even if we're not consciously thinking it a part of us is going "Okay things in life are scary but at least they're not that scary. That's not to say that there aren't disturbing horror movies because obviously there are. But something like Kevin, Room, or Compliance is too grounded. This is probably going to cause a whole derail about what exactly horror is. I basically just want to put it out there that We Need To Talk About Kevin is more likely than not, something the OP isn't looking for in this case.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 13, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

so every home invasion horror movie is bunk now. just wipe out 1/4 of the genre right there

What do you consider a horror movie?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

i even consider safde brothers movies to be horror movies. ask some other genre warrior

I can see the logic behind what you're saying but do you at least understand that the OP is probably looking for something more like a spooky ghost or scary murder man thing than something like Good Time?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

Blair Witch Project is really good and, if you can find it, I'd also suggest Curse of the Blair Witch. That was a Sci Fi Channel Mockumentary ABOUT the first movie and people trying to find out if it was real or not. I know that sounds ridiculously stupid but it was really well done.

This one might be an acquired taste, but I also really enjoyed The WNUF Halloween Special as a fun found footage flick. It's supposedly a broadcast of a local news channel's Halloween broadcast from a "Haunted' house. The real draw of this, to me, is a bunch of fake commercials that pop up during the broadcast. They're weird and funny and by the end of the movie they're helping to set the pace of the reveals and leave you on the edge of your seat waiting for the main show to come back. I know some people hated this movie, though.

Curse of the Blair Witch was kind of a precursor to viral marketing. And before the movie came out people did think it was real so a documentary about the lore and the town coming out ahead of the movie helped sell that illusion. That made the movie hit much harder as a 13 year old when that came out. It's probably still cool to watch but I have no idea how that will work outside of its original context. A lot of people really were convinced the movie was real until the actors started going on talk shows after it blew up.

Have you seen Ghostwatch? I've never seen WNUF but the premise sounds similar. It was a BBC broadcast where a news crew investigated a haunted house. It ended up causing a War of the Worlds type reaction because they used actual tv personalities. Cool stuff. Ghostwatch is also a good entry for this thread in general.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think there's a difference between a movie having one or two jump scares and a movie that uses them heavily enough where it relies on them.

Chrs posted:

Its aged a bit now but there was this TV movie which aired in the UK in the 90s called Ghostwatch. I still maintain it’s one of the scariest films I’ve ever seen.

The movie was shown on Halloween night 1992 and was presented and marketed as a live on air investigation into a haunted house. Like they actually pretended it wasn’t a movie and was in fact just some family friendly reality tv thing and they even got a few UK TV personalities in to play themselves to really sell it. Except the investigation ends up getting out of hand when the ghost turns out to be both real and extremely violent.

There’s also sections set in a studio where the public were calling in reacting to what they were seeing plus some other things I won’t spoil. Again this was all fake too but presented as real.

It came out before things like Blair Witch and such made found footage type movies well known so at the time it was very effective. The fact that its set in a normal British house not unlike the one most people watching would have been living in made the whole thing scarier too.

If you can find the movie anywhere I recommend it. Its not that hard to find legally to say its a 30 year old TV movie.

I mentioned this already but mentioning it twice (now three times!) is good because people should watch it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This movie called Ritual from Indonesia is good too. Don't read anything about it more than the IMDB synopsis.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2182019/?ref_=tt_sims_tt_t_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hector Delgado posted:

Pontypool was a pretty good zombie movie with an unique way of transmission.

Pontypool is half of a good movie. The second half of the movie just abandons the cool gimmick they're using in favor of the same old boring zombie movie cliches.