Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
boo!

hahaha just kidding around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
btw it's called blumhouse cause it's a mixture of blood + c*m

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Turpitude posted:

The best one is We Need to Talk About Kevin, masterfully made horror film.

yeah i fully endorse this. scariest movie since 'the ring' when i was 12

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

It's not scary it's just sad and kind of gross. I can see maybe why one might call it a horror movie but it's really not.

it's way more of a horror movie than any of the conjuring/insidious/cgi spooky ghost genre movies have to offer

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Pulvis Sumus posted:

A Dark Song is fantastic if you're into occult horror - a good, slow build that ends on a note unusual for horror films.

this movie rules. i don't think it nearly lives up to its potential but i'm not one of those people that hate the ending either. pro watch if you have ocd and enjoy meticulous rituals

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

That's mainly because they're bad movies. If we're just counting movies where disturbing poo poo happens we could call just about anything a horror movie. We Need to Talk About Kevin doesn't really use or display any of the conventions used in horror movies. There's no creeping unease (which is what I consider to be essential for an atmospheric horror film) because right from the get go we pretty much know exactly what to expect. It does have an escalation for sure but with one exception we're never really surprised at where it goes. I wouldn't say it's not worth watching because it is (not lightly). But I don't think it really fits what kind of thing the OP is probably looking for. It's disturbing not scary.

the first time i watched it i had no idea why everyone was treating tilda swinton so poorly and there was A LOT of creeping unease
and i did not know from the get go what to expect

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

I guess maybe it depends on how much one knows going in. But once we know the setup we more or less have a good idea where this is going. I think that just throwing dramas with disturbing premises into the horror genre broadens things too much and is probably moving away from what the OP is looking for because that film is not the sort of thing people typically associate with the horror movies. I think part of what makes horror movies horror movies is that they're usually far enough removed from reality to not disturb us the way something like We Need to Talk About Kevin, Room, or Compliance would. The genre provides a sort of relief because even if we're not consciously thinking it a part of us is going "Okay things in life are scary but at least they're not that scary. That's not to say that there aren't disturbing horror movies because obviously there are. But something like Kevin, Room, or Compliance is too grounded. This is probably going to cause a whole derail about what exactly horror is. I basically just want to put it out there that We Need To Talk About Kevin is more likely than not, something the OP isn't looking for in this case.

so every home invasion horror movie is bunk now. just wipe out 1/4 of the genre right there

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 13, 2021

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

What do you consider a horror movie?

i even consider safde brothers movies to be horror movies. ask some other genre warrior

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

I can see the logic behind what you're saying but do you at least understand that the OP is probably looking for something more like a spooky ghost or scary murder man thing than something like Good Time?

woopsie watching the sentinal rn

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 13, 2021

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
trip report: couldn't find it. wasn't scared. not horror

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

wizard master

where did you go wizard master we gave you all these movies

i hate you wizard master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
and what was it all for? nothing!!

Valko posted:

I just watched 'I Can See You'.

It seems like a kind of big budget widely released film but I just stumbled across it on netflix having never heard of it. It doesn't have jump-scares but a lot of twists and revelations that make previous scenes make more sense - in fact, it might even be better on the second watch. Like Fight Club. I think describing the plot would just ruin it.

I also watched Day of the Dead: Bloodlines. I only got halfway through it. It's worse than the 2008 remake they did of Day of the Dead with the stupid vegetarian zombies. Jesus, vegetarians already ruined vampires at that point.

it's called "i see you" and it's a very solid entry in the 'way better than you think it's going to be judging by the thumbnail/description/cast list' genre