Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Kins posted:

i don't have to remember it op, thanks to a revolving door of korean mmo publishers it never left us
I bought this to

and unfortunately it has a crippling bug where enemy corpses never despawn, eventually one glitches into a wall and causes like thousands of collision calls per frame (or something like that) and causes the framerate to go into fractions per second

wonder if they ever fixed that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

smdh that nobody else remembers the game that finally dethroned diablo 2

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I was a Diablo 2 superfan so I followed Hellgate closely when it came out. They had a weird two-class model where you'd buy the game for relatively cheap and could play the story mode and normal multiplayer like co-op, but you could also by a "Platinum member" or sth with a monthly sub or lifetime pass, and those got special bonuses like

uh

hold on

Anyway the idea of paying monthly for a game was insane to me back then (and I still don't), so this is just what I read in forums: they knew the game was super buggy, like half the skills of a certain class plain didn't work, making the coolest one with twin swords disgustingly useless, and other stuff was super OP like a joke weapon giving armor bonus, but so big that the Engineer class' drone was completely untouchable with it. But the devs couldn't devote time to fixing this obvious stuff, because they had to keep churning out content to make the Plat users feel like subbing for another month was worth it, or rather not bitch if they had the lifetime pass.

So every month they made a super half-assed endgame superboss, but because they didn't fix the OTHER issues, players instantly creamed them with broken builds and immediately screamed to fix THOSE bosses to not be boring and poo poo, so they devs just went into a death spiral of more and more issues, hemorrhaging subscribers until the servers were mercy-killed.

The ricochet build sure okay mentioned was one such broken issue with the endgame content, because those were all huge-rear end boss monster models, and the bullets could ricochet inside the enemy model, so the bigger the enemy, the more hilariously quickly it exploded. There was no reason to play anything but the sniper class, basically. great poo poo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

just remembered that the game has guns that shoot burning or acid bees