Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Fame Douglas posted:

Time to break into AC: Valhalla!

It's unfortunately a pretty big step back from Odyssey in almost every way. I'm assuming Covid must have hampered production hard. It feels like something that would have come before Origins, with much of the improvements from the last two games missing.
Also no Kassandra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I turned the difficulty down to Story Mode early on because I was constantly getting shredded while needing a dozen bullets to plink down one guy, then forgot I'd done so. Now that I've got the maxed-out Desert Eagle with 5x scope and can capture high-level bases with ease, should I put it back up again, or just enjoy my strolls around not-Cuba with my instant death gun?

Also, after the mission with the artist, can you find his wife again? Because there's another sicko deserving a bullet to the head.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

text editor posted:

Vaas DLC is next tuesday. It's a roguelike, apparently

Apparently it leaked early on Stadia so there are streams of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ebGyqkFsZ4

I'm pretty down on FC / Ubisoft but these are good experiments even if I doubt they'll be as good as like, Mooncrash

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's unfortunately a pretty big step back from Odyssey in almost every way. I'm assuming Covid must have hampered production hard. It feels like something that would have come before Origins, with much of the improvements from the last two games missing.
Also no Kassandra.

Yeah Valhalla is just boring. It doesn't have the setting and charm of Origins and its player character Bayek, nor the roleplaying and sass of Odyssey and its player character Kassandra. Just frolicking around boring green fields, killing everything because stealth is even less necessary now and with an absolutely dour protagonist in Eivor.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Payndz posted:

I turned the difficulty down to Story Mode early on because I was constantly getting shredded while needing a dozen bullets to plink down one guy, then forgot I'd done so. Now that I've got the maxed-out Desert Eagle with 5x scope and can capture high-level bases with ease, should I put it back up again, or just enjoy my strolls around not-Cuba with my instant death gun?

The game is pretty easy once you have some decent weapons. You’ll probably be fine putting it back up to normal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's annoying, the P228 says that you can get it from FND chest, but apparently its actually a quest reward?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah and it's one of the very last quests in the game too; I am not even sure why that's a base weapon type and not just a unique gun

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Most of the gear in the moneda shop has been pretty underwhelming but this week there's a really good piece of headgear that lets you tag enemies through walls.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Whoever designed the race with the truck in the tank training ground is a piece of poo poo

take everything that sucks about the races in this game (they're too long and most vehicles aren't fun to drive in a race situation), add repeated scenery instead of at least going somewhere, and throw in a one-shot end the race mechanic that can hit you at any time in the interminably long-rear end time you're on this stupid track

e: my record of completing one of these right after complaining about it remains 100%. The trick to this one is to abuse the fact that the race wont end if you miss a gate or 3 and just avoid the tanks at all costs

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 11, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The hovercraft race filled with 90+ degree corners was some of the most braindead game design i've seen in a while.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The truck-tank one glitched out and the driver of one of the tanks got out and ran over by me, so it it only had one tank I had to avoid. That was probably the hardest race in the entire game and you don't get anything worthwhile from it. The race that rewards you with the best protection thing was a cakewalk by comparison.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The best for me was the flying car one

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The hovercraft race filled with 90+ degree corners was some of the most braindead game design i've seen in a while.

It's the very first race you come across too, completely baffling.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

It's really not that bad and you can do the race more or less wide open throttle if you just get used to turning really early. It's basically drifting. Don't turn at the corner, turn way before the corner.

The one on the tank course took me the most tries because I kept getting exploded. That may have been the only one I had to do more than once.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah and it's one of the very last quests in the game too; I am not even sure why that's a base weapon type and not just a unique gun

Yea, its a real weird choice honestly. It feels like the Deagle would make more sense for that reward, or maybe one of the top tier assault rifles.

Hovercraft and the buggy are tied for the word vehicle. They have zero turning rate.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah once I figured out the hovercraft thing was kinda like flying a spaceship, it was easy

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

twistedmentat posted:

Hovercraft and the buggy are tied for the word vehicle. They have zero turning rate.
The buggy is really loving stupid, because the front wheels start to grip as soon you get some speed. Typically it's the other way around.

Actually, the whole vehicle system is hosed up. Cars, they all take ages to start accelerating, and steering them builds tension in whatever they simulate for a drive train, which makes them lose speed considerably. In certain vehicles you actually notice when that tension eventually overcomes some threshold. Especially the tank. Try to accelerate from a standstill while constantly steering to a direction. That thing isn't gonna budge, and then a certain moment, it suddenly leaps ahead.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

the most braindead game design i've seen in a while

farcry6.txt

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Also no Kassandra.

i am mixed. i liked Valhalla more then odyssey story wise though eivor is step down from Kassandra or alyxios but she isn't bad by any means. I think the combat is a nice mix of origins and odyssey mostly works and the story while not the best flows better then odyssey. that being said, none of the AC games have amazing pacing, though origins has better of the newest ones.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Origins I played until a bug reset my upgrades making doing the endgame stuff I was doing a pain in the rear end. Odyssey I got probably, I dunno, 50% through it before the sheer amount of stuff wore thin on me, although in terms of lore and cool stuff it's right up my alley even more than Origins was. Valhalla I don't particularly care to try the actual game as vikings bore me comparatively with all the literally unlimited other places and times they could (and have) done

I tried one of those ops things today to finish the insurgency. Seems like co-op would completely trivialize it unless they sent huge waves of enemies, as one person could solely be responsible for cooling the thinger while person 2 just whomped all the enemies. Then again I only did the first difficultly level.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think you get one thingy each. The cooler has.multiple slots.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Oh, I see

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There was a patch and I gave it a try to see whether I still have the stuttering issues. Now the game does a mode switch whenever I enter and exit the menu screen, despite being set to borderless window mode. Anyone else have that, too?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm not having any issues after the patch, but holy poo poo, taking down the Admiral took way to long because i kept dying before my loving gun came up too slowly and she kept killing me. I had to go in with damage reduction buffs to avoid being killed by her. Who thought that was a good idea?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Had the same issue, just headshotted her without aiming down sights at all. Was the only way to complete that section.

Also, the "Big Papi in Little Yara" story is still broken and doesn't trigger.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
So how's this Vaas DLC? It's a rogue-like or something? Sounds cool.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Also, the "Big Papi in Little Yara" story is still broken and doesn't trigger.

That's a bummer. I managed to do that one the other day and it's really dumb and great and you get the best shirt from it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

busalover posted:

So how's this Vaas DLC? It's a rogue-like or something? Sounds cool.

From what I can tell it's basically New Dawn roguelike with powerups and a bunch of hoodoo magic crap. I haven't played it though.

I did enjoy how it made the protag from FC3 look like the maniacal killer that he is.

I assume it costs extra to get the DLC?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man I knew about the death of El Tigre but i wasn't expecting Jonron to go out the same way

I'm trying to figure out when i want to do the Vass DLC, probably after finishing the El Este stuff.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

My pet hate with this, and previous games is the iron sights. I don’t know what it is but aiming always seems so clunky in these games. The gun fills too much of the screen, the sights are imprecise and ugly. I honestly prefer shooting from the hip.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

smellmycheese posted:

My pet hate with this, and previous games is the iron sights. I don’t know what it is but aiming always seems so clunky in these games. The gun fills too much of the screen, the sights are imprecise and ugly. I honestly prefer shooting from the hip.

my favourite is using a silencer on a pistol blocks the iron sights completely

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

my favourite is using a silencer on a pistol blocks the iron sights completely

Just like real life unless your gun is specifically made to use with a suppressor, and has raised sights. Most guns aren't. It's a real thing.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BitBasher posted:

Just like real life unless your gun is specifically made to use with a suppressor, and has raised sights. Most guns aren't. It's a real thing.

Yeah - one of the best reasons in real life to switch to reflex or red dot sight. Owning/using both an m9 and m17 I kinda wish the 17/p320 showed up earlier. Also wish more modern modular AKs variants showed up. Kinda hate that the t4 gun selection is a bit thin. Having a gadget mag slot to accommodate for drum or quick pull mags would have been fun plus we’d have the resolver “quick reload” mag which would involve literally duct taping two magazines together.

Really enjoy this game and found the groove. The story is decent but I really like the voice acting and the amigos. Racing sucks but it’s Farcry so I normally just skip it when I can. The stealing air drop missions are such much easier when you can use a heli and can’t imagine how annoying it would be to go the way they intended with ground vehicles. The amigos just amuse me to no end. Boomer is great, Chorizo is the best but also props to all the others. Bird Lord of Murder amuses me and gets nasty when he’s levelled up but the secret quest amigo is just lethal. He takes out everything bar helicopters and tanks.

My only major gripes are more of my own personal preferences. I liked character perks more. I don’t mind gear getting bonuses or perks but I miss being able for them to be with my character. Just don’t like them tied to inventory. Backpacks are alright but I just don’t like the look. Also more of a fan of F4and F5’s environments overall. Love the music and culture but just a bit tired of the tropics. Hoping the next one has deserts and rocky mountains with some river valleys. Metro: Exodus had a good variety to it. Still kinda miss the bad guys from F5 as I think I just felt less bad killing Jesus Freaks and it explained dodgy homicidal berserker AI from the minions. That spiritual music channel was creepy as gently caress. Sometimes seeing soldatos decide to RPG a golden retriever just borders on silly. Nearing the end but yeah… good Farcry game. Really liked hanging out with the ‘67 and partying with NotFidel. I’m still missing on some of the backstory with NotChe and this thread has me intrigued as to his death. Still surprised a version of Chan Chan didn’t show up as that is not only one of THE most famous Cuban songs but should be cheap to get. Any Compay Segundo or Buena Vista Social Club really.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I unwittingly triggered the 'go and assassinate Castillo' mission in the city and now can't seem to get out of it. Fast travel is disabled, even if I switch the mission being tracked it doesn't make any difference, and if I try to leave the city I get a 'Mission Failed' message and am dumped back at a city base. Is there any way to get back to aimlessly pissing about doing treasure hunts and liberating checkpoints? (The mission first appeared so relatively early in the game that I'm 100% certain Anton will escape, there will be a Major Plot Twist! and Dani will be betrayed, etc, which I can't be bothered with right now.)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The beginning of this game is really badly designed. You start off with pathetic plink plink level 1 guns that take 10 shots to put anything down , then as soon as you get to the main island you can spend your free 300 Ubisoftbux on a Level 4 LMG that just devastates everything in sight

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Payndz posted:

I unwittingly triggered the 'go and assassinate Castillo' mission in the city and now can't seem to get out of it. Fast travel is disabled, even if I switch the mission being tracked it doesn't make any difference, and if I try to leave the city I get a 'Mission Failed' message and am dumped back at a city base. Is there any way to get back to aimlessly pissing about doing treasure hunts and liberating checkpoints? (The mission first appeared so relatively early in the game that I'm 100% certain Anton will escape, there will be a Major Plot Twist! and Dani will be betrayed, etc, which I can't be bothered with right now.)

I think there’s an abandon mission option somewhere in one of the menus. If not just knock the difficulty down to story mode.

Having that mission trigger so early was hosed up. Took me a good 7 or 8 tries to muddle through it. It was the only time I had trouble in the game because I had barely any good weapons available. There are so many enemies in the hotel lobby that I was convinced it was an infinite spawn situation and I was missing the true objective somehow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's why I left it, I figured it was a red herring, like you'd go to shoot Castillo but get captured or its a body double or something.

Anyways, I wish McKay had more health, one shot in the knee and he died. I wanted to follow that up with a head shot so his last moments of life would have been in credible pain. Curious, how many people left him alive vs killed him? I bet he voted for the Canadian Peoples Party, AKA the party for people who think the regular conservatives aren't racist enough, and probably from Alberta.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

That's why I left it, I figured it was a red herring, like you'd go to shoot Castillo but get captured or its a body double or something.

Anyways, I wish McKay had more health, one shot in the knee and he died. I wanted to follow that up with a head shot so his last moments of life would have been in credible pain. Curious, how many people left him alive vs killed him? I bet he voted for the Canadian Peoples Party, AKA the party for people who think the regular conservatives aren't racist enough, and probably from Alberta.

I short him in the dick and he laid there monologuing some more before I shot him the head. Pretty sure that’s canon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I short him in the dick and he laid there monologuing some more before I shot him the head. Pretty sure that’s canon.

He lay there moaning for a moment before dying, to fast for me to put one in his face.

I think maybe because I used the deagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Payndz posted:

Reloaded the game after using the PS4 to watch a DVD and problem solved, I could fast travel again and do whatever I wanted. Just a glitch, then.

So now I know to stay well clear of that one base until I drat well want to go into a mission I know I'm not going to win (yeah, I looked up how many there are after it).