Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I randomly booted up New Dawn, which was a bunch of fun, so I decided to go back to 6. But idk something about that game just doesn't click the same way. I don't want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I liked 6 but some campaigns are way better than the others. The legends one was easily the best for me and the Maximas Matanzas was the worst. I have no idea why the game would make you put up with Bembe's poo poo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

blackguy32 posted:

I liked 6 but some campaigns are way better than the others. The legends one was easily the best for me and the Maximas Matanzas was the worst. I have no idea why the game would make you put up with Bembe's poo poo.
Yup. I got to the end of that campaign and was looking forward to finally killing that rear end in a top hat, but nope, when you turn around at the end of the cutscene he's vanished. The game lets you choose whether or not to shoot the business guy, but not him?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
In Far Cry 6, is there a way to get the game to quit showing a prompt for the Stranger Things DLC?

I've got a "Yaran story nearby" prompt for The Vanishing that I can't seem to make disappear, so is there some way to hide that prompt without doing the mission?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

azflyboy posted:

In Far Cry 6, is there a way to get the game to quit showing a prompt for the Stranger Things DLC?

I've got a "Yaran story nearby" prompt for The Vanishing that I can't seem to make disappear, so is there some way to hide that prompt without doing the mission?

Other than doing it, nope.

Ugh I though upgrading from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1650 would improve preformance, and it does, until i go into the armory screen and suddenly it goes all potato mode. This is supposed to have been fixed in a patch in December but my version is updated. Its too bad because the game looks really, really good even at medium settings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The 1650 isn’t actually much of a step up from a 970, unfortunately. You do get Freesync support, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 1650 actually performs worse than the 970 in most games. I'm sorry, but that was not an upgrade unless you got the Super version, which does perform just slightly better.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I want to play the Stranger Things mission but I haven't fully caught up on the show. Does it have anything that could be considered a spoiler for season 3?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
No. It's barely connected to the show except for a jaunt into the Upside Down from what I can tell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 1650 actually performs worse than the 970 in most games. I'm sorry, but that was not an upgrade unless you got the Super version, which does perform just slightly better.

I know it is improvement in some ways, as I can play FC6 at medium settings until the aformentioned bug happens, and i couldn't play Guardians of the Galaxy at all but it ran fine with the 1650.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does choosing to let McKay live versus killing him actually do anything? I killed him and expected to at least get chewed out by Juan but other than a quick message from Yelena about not taking the deal nobody ever mentioned it again.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

muscles like this! posted:

Does choosing to let McKay live versus killing him actually do anything? I killed him and expected to at least get chewed out by Juan but other than a quick message from Yelena about not taking the deal nobody ever mentioned it again.

Been awhile since I played but is that the Canadian guy? If so, nothing is different other than the mission reward. He is never mentioned again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished FC6 recently and was kind of surprised by the lack of any choice or options in the ending. Sure it never really amounted to much in the previous games but it was still nice to have them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just replaying far cry five again and my God does it just poo poo all over far cry six. Something just felt so meh about far cry 6 that I couldn’t even bother to remotely try and finish it, compared to me actually doing FC5 a few times now.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
It's not perfect by a long shot but I honestly prefer 6 over 5 on most days.

Then I think I'd take 4 and the first half of 3 over both of them.

2 is still the all time best of the series though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going back for another trip to Big Sky Country and Jesus I wish I could skip the opening, especially on New Game Plus. Oh well such is life, it’s funny the worst part of the game is the immediate beginning, since you can’t skip ahead, (after the crash is GTG) and the last five minutes of the game, which is hot garbage, (even if I do really like New Dawn), thank god the rest of the game is amazing. Can’t wait to see my bro Hurk again. :)

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 5, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So against my better judgment, Far Cry 6 was on sale a week ago for $25 on PC so I bought it. And actually, I am enjoying this game a lot? This has ended up being a very good open world FPS that is a lot of fun to play, and the storyline is no where near as neutral as UBISoft tried to claim before it released. I think i'm maybe half way through the main story? 13 hours in, and so there is still time for the game to be like "actually, both sides are right." like what happened in Far Cry 5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

57 minutes of end credits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I said come in! posted:

So against my better judgment, Far Cry 6 was on sale a week ago for $25 on PC so I bought it. And actually, I am enjoying this game a lot? This has ended up being a very good open world FPS that is a lot of fun to play, and the storyline is no where near as neutral as UBISoft tried to claim before it released. I think i'm maybe half way through the main story? 13 hours in, and so there is still time for the game to be like "actually, both sides are right." like what happened in Far Cry 5.

No, FC6 never goes "actually even though he's murdered a bunch of people, and enslaved a whole ton of others, Moff Gideon did improve Yara's economy". The Communist rebels of the first revolution are always shown as heroic and in the right, The Fascists are always in the wrong, and it never gets trying killing them.

But Yea, I really liked running around Yara doing stuff. Its a really fun map with a lot of neat stuff to explore and there's some decent environmental storytelling here and there. The weapons feel great and there is a good variety of them. Its too bad a few that should be earlier unlocks are not available until the very late game. Like the Sig Saur 228 is not available until literally the second last mission.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The only disappointment I had with Yara is the capital not being a big open world environment.

An urban center would've been a fun contrast to the rest of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mokinokaro posted:

The only disappointment I had with Yara is the capital not being a big open world environment.

An urban center would've been a fun contrast to the rest of it.

I know my friend who works for Ubisoft mentioned they had to cut down on some features due to the game needing to run on older hardware due to the lack of current gen consoles and video cards out there. if you made something that required a Ps5 or at a 3000 series geforce, you're really limiting yourself because of the market would be a lot smaller if only people lucky enough to get the latest hardware in an time of scarcity. I'd not be surprised if the Capital suffered from that.

The best thing in the game is traveling around in the flying lawnchair. Once I had that thing unlocked I used nothing but it to travel around.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Perhaps I should give FC6 a chance, since it’s dirt cheap on Series X now and I assume it will be better playing that way as opposed to GeForce now. I know keyboard and mouse are better, I’m just more comfortable using a controller.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a fun game. Encounters become pretty samey quickly because a lot of the things you previously had to unlock are there from the word go but it has a lot of wacky characters, a great MC and some fun set-pieces. It's a great game to muck around in and find fun ways to amuse yourself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Perhaps I should give FC6 a chance, since it’s dirt cheap on Series X now and I assume it will be better playing that way as opposed to GeForce now. I know keyboard and mouse are better, I’m just more comfortable using a controller.

Yeah get it with Series X support, completely worth it, but even the PC version is not that system demanding. All I had was raytracing turned off and the game ran at a constant 60fps.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Yeah get it with Series X support, completely worth it, but even the PC version is not that system demanding. All I had was raytracing turned off and the game ran at a constant 60fps.

Mine is incredibly old and was originally built for Deus Ex human revolution with some minor ram upgrades and a mid to low budget upgrade on graphics card.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I just got fc6 for £20 on the epic games store. If anyone was waiting for a price drop. It runs well on my old machine so I'm happy so far.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've been replaying FC3 and FC4 recently. Woof, FC3 doesn't age very well. The story is still garbage, the side activities are flimsy and almost nothing, and the guns are pretty boring. The saving grace is the setting - running around Rook Island with just a handgun and bow and taking on random pirates can still be fun, but overall it feels very empty. And good god is Jason Brody just a douchebag.

FC4, on the other hand, has aged a lot better in my opinion. While Ajay is much more of a blank slate than Jason ever was, at least he's not a typical douchebro shitbag. The story is much more interesting and Pagan Min is a far more compelling villain than Hoyt could ever hope to be. The side activities are a lot more fun, I enjoy the collectible hunting more than FC3's statues, and the world feels much more alive.

Edit: Sabal is unintentionally hilarious. "I've got some evidence for you. And it's SOLID." The line reading is fantastic.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 2, 2022

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i still think 4 is the peak of the series

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

New Dawn, imho

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

punishedkissinger posted:

i still think 4 is the peak of the series

Back when 4 came out, I would have disagreed with you. Now that all these years have past, I agree with you to the extent that I've only played a little of 5, and none of 6. Blood Dragon was a fun gimmick, but only a few hours worth of fun. New Dawn is a blast, but it's pretty small and somehow feels less interesting even in the post-apoc setting that we get.

Edit: I think one of the things I enjoyed in FC3 was starting a new game and playing with only the guns I picked up from the ground or fallen enemies. Ammo had to be found in the wild. If I wanted some body armor, I'd have to go looking. I wouldn't do the final hunting challenges, so I had 3/4 upgrades for all of my gear. A survival type run. I can do that as well with FC4. I can't do that in New Dawn, with how the enemies 'level up' and get so much more health. Or at least it feels much more impossible to do it in a fun way.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 2, 2022

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rinkles posted:

New Dawn, imho

i liked new dawn but found the writing pretty dull

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ll grant that, but as long as it’s not outright offensive or really dumb (admittedly ND has some stupid moments) writing is a tertiary concern for me in an FC game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I haven't really played a FarCry game in a while. The original, then a bit of 2 until the instantly respawning checkpoints annoyed me, I started 3 about a year or so ago. Now I played through 6 and it was okay?

The story completely falls apart towards the end and I wish I had known about insurgency mode so I could have stopped before the stealth mission and never finished (because the conclusion was completely garbo). I wanted to clean up the map in peace, not have entire sectors reset every week.

Also I played the Xbox version and that still has bugs people mentioned months ago. That one checkpoint never coming up as a checkpoint until very late in the game, car customization not unlocking, missions not completing. What were they actually doing at Ubi HQ since release? Oh yeah, releasing costume packs for monopoly money.

I wish someone competent made another Just Cause because that's what FC6 reminded me of constantly, but fell short.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just got to Insurgency Mode last night, so I guess I'm close to done with the game at this point. I'd say it was fine. Not great, but fine. Even with the edgelordy idiocy in the storyline of FC5 I think I enjoyed that game more, and I liked New Dawn aside from the racism. I think my fondest memories are of FC4, but I did like FC3. I think I actually liked Primal a little more than FC6, but those two are in the same general level of fine for me, I think.

One thing I noticed about FC6 that I don't recall being as much of a thing in earlier games was that the movement feels way less fluid than it should. Maybe coming from Cyberpunk 2077 influences how I feel about it, but it seems like ledge-climbing and general responsiveness are worse in FC6 than in earlier games. I think I've died more from my parachute not working than any other cause, and the way ledges work in FC6 just feels wrong and finicky - like it's way too easy to get too close to a ledge and not trigger the climbing response, or not be close enough and have it not trigger, or be slightly off center and have it not trigger. Weirdly enough, the ladder mechanics worked great, which probably made the ledge mechanics feel that much worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just got to Insurgency Mode last night, so I guess I'm close to done with the game at this point. I'd say it was fine. Not great, but fine. Even with the edgelordy idiocy in the storyline of FC5 I think I enjoyed that game more, and I liked New Dawn aside from the racism. I think my fondest memories are of FC4, but I did like FC3. I think I actually liked Primal a little more than FC6, but those two are in the same general level of fine for me, I think.

One thing I noticed about FC6 that I don't recall being as much of a thing in earlier games was that the movement feels way less fluid than it should. Maybe coming from Cyberpunk 2077 influences how I feel about it, but it seems like ledge-climbing and general responsiveness are worse in FC6 than in earlier games. I think I've died more from my parachute not working than any other cause, and the way ledges work in FC6 just feels wrong and finicky - like it's way too easy to get too close to a ledge and not trigger the climbing response, or not be close enough and have it not trigger, or be slightly off center and have it not trigger. Weirdly enough, the ladder mechanics worked great, which probably made the ledge mechanics feel that much worse.

i think i liked 5 the most shooting/mechanically but 2/4 being the best story but 5 is solid over all, the issue i have is, it suffers from the weird RPG poo poo, though not as bad as other ubisoft games.

twistedmentat posted:

No, FC6 never goes "actually even though he's murdered a bunch of people, and enslaved a whole ton of others, Moff Gideon did improve Yara's economy". The Communist rebels of the first revolution are always shown as heroic and in the right, The Fascists are always in the wrong, and it never gets trying killing them.

But Yea, I really liked running around Yara doing stuff. Its a really fun map with a lot of neat stuff to explore and there's some decent environmental storytelling here and there. The weapons feel great and there is a good variety of them. Its too bad a few that should be earlier unlocks are not available until the very late game. Like the Sig Saur 228 is not available until literally the second last mission.

yeah, and it was a nice surprise for once. they clearly show that the first rebels while good definetly kinda hosed up because the dude who got in was kinda of a gently caress up and the rest kinda booked it back into the jungle to find themselves.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the ledges are very annoying because there are a bunch of jumping puzzles which want you to jump from ledge to ledge, but the only way to get the prompt was waiting for the breathing animation to move my head back half an inch or catch it in the split second of the shimmy animation before it disappeared. In general it felt odd to me how particular this game was about where you have to look use activation points (use vehicles and especially boats, hijack tanks, open containers) and in some places I couldn't pick up a collectible or open a container, like the criptograma boxes, if there was ammo sitting nearby. So I had to fire a gun, reload it, and make the ammo consumable go away because no moving around the item would make the prompt change from "ammo full" to use/open.

Oh I forgot another bug, the gun that was supposed to unlock from a treasure hunt but didn't, and apparently that has been an issue since April :thunk:

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 3, 2022

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

If 5 ever got a mod or something that turned it into a little hunting/fishing/survival sim, like you're just some random local ducking the cult and maybe loving their supply lines up off and on to keep yourself afloat, I'd reinstall it immediately.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoy sneaking around in the woods in montana with a silenced sniper rifle.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m still doing my usual Far Cry thing with this game (100% completion, collect everything except paid for items, every mission, etc) and I’m really enjoying it. The series scratches some kind of itch in my brain and I really like the formula.

I haven’t even conquered one territory yet, just searching for shrines and usb sticks while completing some Yaran Stories and the occasional mission.

Also glad to see the Primal love. I really hope the in between game is Primal 2, as I’m not using the bow at all this game and could use a good reason to return to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Also glad to see the Primal love. I really hope the in between game is Primal 2, as I’m not using the bow at all this game and could use a good reason to return to it.

Spear was the Primal MVP.