Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

toiletbrush posted:

I wanted to like Farcry 5 but 30 minutes of that loving one minute loop of cultist music that you can't turn off and I couldn't handle it any longer

I literally have no idea what you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
I think that happened to me as well, some music that plays at one point during one of the capture sequences. It's supposed to stop after a bit but sometimes a trigger doesn't fire properly and the music keeps going until you quit and reload.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Kobal2 posted:

:eng101: technically Empty Quiver is when one of the big firecrackers gets nicked or lost somehow ; Broken Arrow is when one gets blown up accidentally (not necessarily a full-on nuclear blast). Bent Spear means it leaked green juice all over the place and your cornfields are about to get seven types of cancer.

That's way cooler than I was expecting, which was that Broken Arrow was just a made-up hollywood term.

Trustworthy posted:

Far Cry 2 had an amazing setting and tone, and I sure wish the series would have continued in that direction.

I've enjoyed the subsequent games, but I'm so sick of all the "wacky" cringe poo poo, from the first word out of Vaas's one-dimensional piehole to the last Bananarama CD fired from my Discos Locos.

I totally agree with all this except I really liked Vaas, I thought he nailed that being a legit terrifying dude who's just crazy enough to seem genuinely unhinged and unpredictable. Whereas old crab rangoon Pagan Min was a bit too much for me and just seemed like Ubisoft trying to fluke Vaas 2.0

But 2 was still the best because you were basically the villain and all the henchmen you fought had amazing dialogue where they just got more and more terrified of you as the game went on.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 29, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

I havent played *any* of the Far Cry games, and the summer Steam sale seems like a good opportunity. Which games in the series are essential for a newcomer?

4 is The Best. Primal is an interesting twist on the formula. 3 is the one that started the new-style and is solid but slightly dated. 5 is technically competent but beginning to feel stale.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
OG Far Cry had Predator mode in MP and I've never enjoyed anything in the series as much as I enjoyed playing that with my buds.

We've had a dozen asymmetrical MP modes for major releases since then and none of them were half as good, playing that in a 2v10 or 4v24 or something is one of my gaming dreams.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im about to beat Far Cry 5 againand Im thinking of doing another NG+. I think part of it is the opening hours of the game are just amazing. The rest is good, but that truly back against the wall when you exit Dutchs bunker and start your first attacks, is fantastic.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 1, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So apparently I have 60+ hours in FC3 and Ive completed 68% of the total game.

My last save was from 2014 and I legit forgot about that. Thank god for the cloud. Ill give UBIsoft credit for that at least ( or maybe its steam).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Bring back Far Cry Predator.
New Dawn didn't go far enough with the powers.
Hell, just make it a DLC for 6. It's 6 but you have super animal powers.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'd never played any Far Cry games before, but I downloaded Far Cry 5 a few days ago, and holy poo poo, this game is so fun and funny. I've never laughed out loud at a video game so much -- the dialogue, the acting, even the written notes and descriptions of weapons and vehicles are hilarious. It feels like everyone involved in making the game were having a blast.

Plus, it really captures the look and feel of Montana, at least the western and central parts of the state. (On a personal note, I lived in very rural southeastern MT in my 20s and now I'm in megalopolis hell in PA, and the game is both satisfying my nostalgia to go back to MT and making me pine for it even harder.)

I'd replay this endlessly if it weren't for those loving forced, timed obstacle courses in Jacob Seed's territory. I saved his territory for last, and now I'm on the fourth mission with him ("Only You"), and I've rage-quit so many times, goddamn. I hate timed missions, period, but having to do this same course 4 separate times is, well, torture. :rimshot:

Some reviews I saw were complaining that the game is too apolitical, and I've got to say, if you don't see digs at Trump/his followers/Republicans/right-wing gun nuts everywhere, uhhhhhhh....you're missing a lot, to put it nicely. Hurk Drubman Sr. talking about gerrymandering and discouraging people from voting in a mission called "Make Hope Great Again" -- come on, man. That's the most obvious example, but even the description of burned meat in your inventory is making fun of Trump. The digs are everywhere. Even Joseph Seed complains that "communities are being torn apart, walls are being erected"...like....come on.

This is a good article about the way the game portrays cults, too, and it links out to a great Buzzfeed News article about neo-Nazis taking over Whitefish, MT and the resistance movement against them.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Replying to add -- I finally beat Jacob's final timed obstacle course mission easily after simply muting the sound and relaxing a little. The burning hellscape after the course wasn't too bad (only died twice :v:) with some remote explosives and a good sniper rifle. If/when I replay this game, I'll start with his territory just to get this nonsense out of the way.

The "resistance points" mechanic is something that may have sounded good on paper (I guess it reduces the feeling of grinding, since you can get points by choosing your favorite type of mission/activity to do and ignoring others?), but it really puts a damper on things when you want to run around exploring and doing side missions, but you don't want to progress the story. (Especially if "progressing the story" = "once again you're kidnapped and forced into a frustrating timed mission" :argh:). Plus, running around exploring a territory after you've killed the Seed sibling isn't as fun, since you no longer have all those random encounters with civilians in trouble by the side of the road, who lead to more unmarked side missions. It felt like there were much fewer liberate outpost missions in Jacob's territory than the others and I'm wondering if it's because I killed him too early and cut myself off from those missions.

(Just want to say -- I understand how the concept of the timed missions with shorter and shorter times fits into the narrative of Jacob Seed programming you to be a better and better killer, and if this were a novel, I'd have no problem with this concept.....but as this concept was fleshed out as a game, I had no fun playing this out. I had negative fun, even.)

Anyway, overall the game was still fun, 8/10, will play again.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For some reason I kinda want to play Far Cry Primal again. Maybe this time an Expert Survival mode playthrough, which I've never done. Any tips?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Rabbit Hill posted:

,Some reviews I saw were complaining that the game is too apolitical, and I've got to say, if you don't see digs at Trump/his followers/Republicans/right-wing gun nuts everywhere, uhhhhhhh....you're missing a lot, to put it nicely.

'apolitical' is the wrong word, the problem is that it's cowardly. there's tons of anti-authortarian overtones in Far Cry 5 and Watch Dogs, and to a degree in The Division (when it isn't being super lazy and pro-authoritarian instead) but those games also bend over backwards to not include the actual real-world attitudes, politics and policies that enable the grim worldstate they're using as a backdrop, so you get wild poo poo like the hacktivists in WD: Legion cooperating with loving section 5, who in real life are one hundred percent in favor of and directly work to ensure the kind of corporate extraterritory that Watch Dogs spends it's screen time raging against.

none of which is a problem when you abstract hard enough, but Ubi puts a huge amount of effort into keeping it's settings relatable... and then a huge amount of effort not talking about the real life details they're mining for content.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For some reason I kinda want to play Far Cry Primal again. Maybe this time an Expert Survival mode playthrough, which I've never done. Any tips?

Start every encounter by using your owl to drop bees on people. It's maybe the most overpowered mechanic in any Far Cry game and can clear out groups of non-heavy enemies without any risk.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'd never played any Far Cry games before, but I downloaded Far Cry 5 a few days ago, and holy poo poo, this game is so fun and funny.

Pick up Far Cry New Dawn when you're done. The Far Cry series is at it's best when things are going batshit insane.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sammus posted:

Pick up Far Cry New Dawn when you're done. The Far Cry series is at it's best when things are going batshit insane.

Oh yeah, I started playing New Dawn this weekend and it's great so far. Pastor Jerome as a companion is a true delight. :3:

But back to Far Cry 5 for a moment... I finished it on Friday and chose the "resist" ending.

Okay, forgetting for a moment how skin-crawling it was to be playing as a female deputy and ending up trapped in a bunker alone with Joseph for years to come***, WTF was up with half of your friends being high on Bliss and turning against you? At least the nuclear attack was foreshadowed by the radio announcements -- was there a clue that your friends were in danger of being rounded up and drugged that I missed? That whole fight was irritating because it didn't make any sense to me why this was happening and it just felt stupid.

***And this is supposed to be the "good" ending?? At least Joseph doesn't say any creepy poo poo about wanting to repopulate the earth, I guess. :confuoot:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rabbit Hill posted:

Oh yeah, I started playing New Dawn this weekend and it's great so far. Pastor Jerome as a companion is a true delight. :3:

But back to Far Cry 5 for a moment... I finished it on Friday and chose the "resist" ending.

Okay, forgetting for a moment how skin-crawling it was to be playing as a female deputy and ending up trapped in a bunker alone with Joseph for years to come***, WTF was up with half of your friends being high on Bliss and turning against you? At least the nuclear attack was foreshadowed by the radio announcements -- was there a clue that your friends were in danger of being rounded up and drugged that I missed? That whole fight was irritating because it didn't make any sense to me why this was happening and it just felt stupid.

***And this is supposed to be the "good" ending?? At least Joseph doesn't say any creepy poo poo about wanting to repopulate the earth, I guess. :confuoot:

First I want to apologize for never replying to your extremely well thought out posts, especially as it was kind of the discussion I was hoping to kick off. Second, as much as I enjoyed New Dawn, the immediate events that lead to New Dawngod I hate that. I mean I get it, but man I kind of pissed. Gameplay is awesome and man some of those companions are goddamn hilarious and make me want to use the feature more, to mix and match people for different dialogue, if nothing else.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

The whole ending really bothered the hell out of me. I know that it's apparently alluded to in radios and such, but frankly I never wound up hearing anything like that (there's not a whole lot of reason to go out of your way to do so) so when it happened it felt arbitrary and kind of cheap. I remember people were calling it bold, but I thought it was just shocking for the sake of being shocking, it's not exactly thought-provoking or deep, it's just this big dumb twist ending that invalidates everything the player was doing before hand. And like you said, playing a female deputy during all this somehow makes it even worse.

I think part of the problem is that the game is actually pretty optimistic in a lot of respects, with the deputy going around Montana pushing back against hateful and reactionary forces to try and restore peace and a sense of community. But then here comes this downer ending, effectively saying "well I guess Seed wasn't ALL WRONG, huh??" and it's just so stupid.

I really enjoyed the game as I was moving through it, aside from the constantly being captured to do boring linear missions thing, but the ending really soured me on the whole thing. It's a real shame because the shooting finally felt good in a Far Cry game and the scenery was so well crafted, I wish they had come out with a mode for free roaming without having to deal with the plot.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Trustworthy posted:

Far Cry 2 had an amazing setting and tone, and I sure wish the series would have continued in that direction.

I've enjoyed the subsequent games, but I'm so sick of all the "wacky" cringe poo poo, from the first word out of Vaas's one-dimensional piehole to the last Bananarama CD fired from my Discos Locos.
I love 2, and go back to it every so often, but the dated visuals and gameplay irritations (malaria, checkpoints, etc) have started to become an issue. It's a shame, because for atmosphere it's the best of the series. It feels like a real place - a place you would not ever want to get stuck in real life, a corrupt, poverty-stricken hellhole where everyone hates each other and the few good people you encounter are almost as afraid of you as the people who are actively trying to murder them. And the whole immersive concept of 'you never leave the game world' with the map not doubling as a nice safe pause screen is fantastic.

3 was better as a game - slicker, more player-friendly - but started the trend of wacky NPCs and crazy missions (gee, another drug-induced hallucination, never saw that coming :rolleyes:) that only got sillier over time. I'll probably buy 6 because I love Cuba-style environments, but drat, there's some goofy-rear end stuff in the trailer. I just want a straight Cuban Revolution game where you get to be Castro loving things up for Batista, dammit!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I think part of the problem is that the game is actually pretty optimistic in a lot of respects, with the deputy going around Montana pushing back against hateful and reactionary forces to try and restore peace and a sense of community. But then here comes this downer ending, effectively saying "well I guess Seed wasn't ALL WRONG, huh??" and it's just so stupid.

This is actually very true, that feeling you get when you liberate an area and people start arriving to fix it owns. Honestly I love the whole vibe of the game in terms of optimism and community.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
big stream for FC6 just aired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3L38LvnQaM

looks like a far cry game

i'm mostly looking forward to turning 90% of the hud off

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

big stream for FC6 just aired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3L38LvnQaM

looks like a far cry game

i'm mostly looking forward to turning 90% of the hud off

This guys video is pretty good too.

https://youtu.be/Mt-lPghqB_o

TLDR its more far cry but thats not a bad thing.

Looks like fun to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ugh, enemies have lifebars now?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Ugh, enemies have lifebars now?

They did in New Dawn and I think you can turn it off from being seen.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I saw a guy take like 5 headshots to go down

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mordja posted:

Which means they are going after Borderlands style of meatshields for enemies.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

apparently it's not as bad as new dawn but yeah it's dumb and you'd think they would have learned their lesson after ghost recon

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

apparently it's not as bad as new dawn but yeah it's dumb and you'd think they would have learned their lesson after ghost recon

Please keep that evil away from my beautiful Far Cry Team.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That whole thing was extremely overblown in ghost recon, you could always headshot dudes, the levelling system was basically pointless.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That whole thing was extremely overblown in ghost recon, you could always headshot dudes, the levelling system was basically pointless.

They just feel so goddamn spongey vs in Wildlands.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Extremely unimpressed by the gameplay demo. Even with $20 off and and bleak last couple years of video game quality I can't see myself finishing this. I've finished every far cry between 3 and New Dawn. 5 was barely tolerable. New Dawn was not.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
New Dawn was, uhh, much better than 5

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
OP should play Metal Gear Solid

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

this looks bad IMO

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The new game looks really cool and Im going to pet the poo poo out of my Amigos. Or try to, in Chicharrons case.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
New overview video of 6 in case anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxmejMnR78

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

genuinely fascinated about the politics in this game and how they're inevitably going to piss absolutely everybody off

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I fully expect that aspect to get handled as poorly as usual, though it would be interesting to see them try something. My suspicion is that they'll mostly just use the setting of a revolution in not-Cuba as a backdrop and flavor without much commentary besides something like "maybe both sides are bad."

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

just like socialist cuba, yara actually has a fairly advanced medical science industry

which is being used for evil obviously

please do not read too much into this

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just finished Far Cry 5 today, and... yikes. It may have the dumbest story I've ever seen in any AAA game.

And that's not even taking into account the batshit (and worse, unsatisfying) ending. I'm fine with unhappy endings, but it didn't make any goddamned sense. I didn't pay attention to the radio (I guess?) and didn't know anything about the cult potentially having nukes. Or was that the US Army/National Guard nuking the cult? I still have no idea. And getting trapped in a bunker with Joseph -- as a female deputy -- for potentially years on end felt pretty gross. But hey, they like their torture and mind control and taking away player agency at every turn, so let's go all in!

I started keeping a count of how many times you get captured as part of the story. I believe it was nine. Nine times you get rounded up and captured, and every time you get to listen to a five-minute monologue from someone talking... very... slowly (with no way to skip dialog lines other than skipping the entire cutscene). Then each time you randomly escape or get rescued.

Sometimes it would even happen right in the middle of an in-progress mission.

I'd just finished Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey right before starting FC5, and I think those games spoiled me. While AC has its own issues, those games feel much more polished, and the dialog feels like you're in a natural conversation that's part of the story, rather than having an NPC stare into the camera and fire-hose exposition at you.

Anyway, my goal wasn't to come in here and poo poo all over the game. I've played all of the other main-line Far Cry games and enjoyed them all. I sincerely wanted to like FC5, and the gunplay and environments are quite fun. Grabbing a helicopter and clearing a roadblock or convoy, or sneaking into a compound and taking out the entire garrison undetected with your doggo buddy was a blast. I'm even tempted to go back and finish the side missions, since there are presumably no more cutscenes or extended dialog.

Just... That story. Jeeze. I can't be the only one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The Far Cry 5 story gets a ton of criticism, I can't remember if I've seen anybody praise it at all outside of maybe the first couple days post-release. What a loving mess.