Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
just realized the charge reroll CA is now done *after* the roll and it suddenly seems so much more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I'm referring to 2.0, we have a final 2.0 tournament this weekend.

should be kosher.

Just for reference 3.0 specifically limits units to a max of two fight or shoot phase activations (1.6.5).

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Flesh-eater Courts and Ogor Mawtribes/Beastclaw Raiders are pretty notorious for being able to make good 1000pt lists out of a pair of Start Collecting boxes.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Was this the guy everyone cited as the only relatable character in early AoS fiction?

edit: saw some GHB leaks and RIP using marked chaos warriors as battleline in my Tzeentch and Slaanesh armies :smith:

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 17, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Soulblight's exactly the same save for Cursed City Radukar and only Radukar now being available by himself.

Also someone posted the endless spells updates and there were definitely some choices that were made.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Squig Herd minimum unit size also went to 12. Still paying 20 over what you were before though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

you can but they no longer count towards your compulsory batleline. Specifically just that, they're still part of your army still count as battleline for the purposes of reinforcements et al.

Essentially you'll need to take 2+ Acolytes/Tzaangors/Horrors or whatever your general or change coven gives you.

Also loving lol on the core book finally making 1500 a supported points level and the GHB only being 1k or 2k.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 18, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Grave Guard are decent and are battleline if you take a Wight King as general. Can't do true skeleton blobs anymore but you can fill the board with them pretty easy.

Problem is most of the subfactions have buffs or auras that require Vampires so you're probably going to want at least one.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

black knights staying at 120 makes a little more sense in our post-pointsmageddon world.

Also the Wight King's CA both makes sense in that the core reroll 1's CA doesn't exist anymore *and* they obviously hosed up in writing it and needs an errata.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I find it kinda funny because 40k became AoS+ first.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Its simply streamlining by having the one roll that dictates whether or not you will win the game happen at the beginning of the match instead of between turns.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I mean its mostly about what battletomes are on their roadmap after Stormcast and Orruks assuming its not going to be like that weird 4 month delay between 9e and SM/Necrons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

never use battlescribe for aos.

Everyone makes their lists in warscroll builder anyway.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm holding onto the vain hope that it's literally just Azyr but with the battletome code backend stuff.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

There's the aformentioned stuff but I want to say my specific beef with the Battlescribe AoS data at the time at least was that I was trying to make a Tzeentch list and it was an absolute pain in the rear end to figure out how to incorporate StD units into it whereas Warscroll Builder would give you all your valid options and mark out the Battleline ones.

TBF this was back when Warscroll Builder was more consistent with linking the actual warscrolls to the unit list.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

wfb always had that weird problem of the Lizardmen being a really, really cool faction that was very poorly integrated with what the setting actually focused on.

Tomb Kings too, to a lesser extent.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

actually3raccoons posted:

WHFB, as much as I get nostalgic about it, always had rules issues. Did 8th still have crazy problems with spellcaster dominance? I remember Dark Elves being able to sweep an army on T1 with a single spell, or some similar nonsense.

barely remember the specifics but iirc it basically involved a basic dark elf sorceress rushing to one of the opponent's flanks, using as many casting dice possible on the high tier version of Pit of Shades or Purple Sun, likely exploding because a miscast will happen but you've basically sacrificed a ~100pt model to kill like a quarter of an army.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

random pick outs:

gloomspite just have the +1 wound at 10 models now.

StD characters can no longer be generals in god-dedicated armies so the mortal-specific command traits kinda do nothing now I guess?

Endless Legions confirmed to have an end and you can't keep re-summoning the same slowly dwindling unit of zombies.

Bonereapers... get an extra relentless discipline point if they go second. yay.

Cities of Sigmar get a +1 to casting endless spells to make up for losing the realm bonuses. Hallowheart wizards seems to have completely lost their extra spell?

Core rules saying that if you have multiple generals and one dies you get the +2 to the command point bonus roll... except Slaanesh because gently caress you that's why.

^^^edit:
literally only read the first page of that pdf when I posted this. loving finally

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

gonna be honest having your general be a literal dog would've been cool and good.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Honestly a few of them filling that niche of "thing you can take for less than 100pts that aren't a min strength unit of skeletons or fell bats"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I am a big believer in the contrast over metallic method IRT stormcasts.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

a bit surprised they didn't do a separate box a la recruit/elite edition for cheap extra troops like 40k

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

Recruit/elite/command edition came after Indomitus was already out. I imagine they're coming.
E: though my hazy memory is saying they were announced after indomitus' initial preorders but before it released so maybe another covid delay.

Oh hey there we go.

More cheap(?) gutrippaz and vindicators.

and then the addon tier is praetors (yay) vs hobgrots (oof) but you do get another shaman.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

poo poo my mistake

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Bonereapers got the "tough to kill chunky elite army" part of Necrons and SBGL have the "individually fragile but constantly self-regenerating army based around auras" part of Necrons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

also wouldn't they have counted as a single leader choice in the un-eratta'd version anyway?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

After playing a game involving VLoZD, Blood Knights, and a Nomad Prince yesterday I am very much in agreement with the view that All Out Defense et al needs to be capped at a 3+ even without the god units entering into the conversation.

Vyrkos VLoZD can get a free command *each turn* so its not hard to maintain a near permanent 2+ save on itself (or a unit of blood knights its supporting). Living City Nomad prince can get a 2+ with a command trait and the rest can be put to negating rend.

Lotta cases of tanky as gently caress units fighting eachother with maybe two wounds to show for it, which are most likely immediately healed, at least until one of the d6 damage dragon attacks makes its way through a save.

Also Gotrek was there and because I was playing death he successfully killed about 40+ models of a 30 model unit.

That said mission scoring is neat and battle tactics being one of your main vp sources is a really drat good idea.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm only on Daemonslayer but that seems about right, why does he get a buff vs death tho?

I was using skeletons. Just to see if trying to swamp him with a horde of them would work. I had enough combats that he needed to fight first, killed about 17 which was a combination of rolling low on his MWs on 6's to hit, and some clutch 6+ all out defense saves. About 11 or 12 of those came back, plinked him for a pair of wounds, and then he did his end of fight phase action and just loving wiped everyone between about 16 mortal wounds and all of his 3 damage hits getting through.

Naturally I tried again a turn later this time with a necromance I used the extra spell enhancement to give both Decrepify and Overwhelming Dread, plus a Chronomantic Cogs I cast last turn to give gotrek -1 to hit, wound, and (non-mortal) damage. Only killed about 6 when the turn was done.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm assuming its identical to the current version where you're basically choosing at army creation which of two special rules applies to your army.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

okay first off I think you might be using old point values because you should have 330pts left.

being tzeentch is squishy so I feel like you need a) more casting and b) a unit that can take some hits. A Changcaster + Tzaangors is exactly 330pts. Magister + Tzeentch marked Warriors is 325.

Also keep in mind you also have an Exalted Flamer in the kit, but that leaves behind a bit of an awkward points value that's just over the threshold where you can take tzaangors.

Alternatively the Pink Horrors can be your tanky unit by grabbing two boxes of blue/brimstones. You should probably get these anyway.

If you wanna go with a behemoth option, the Sorceror on a Manticore is actually priced to move at 270pts and gets you another caster, but leaves you with a 60pt gap you can really only fill with an endless spell.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Lucinice posted:

You're right about the points I just hosed up the count.

I will definitely get extra horrors when I start expanding but for now with this army I need the pink horrors alone to fill the required 2 battleline units. Unless I misunderstood how that works.

If I went for the StD sorcerer what would be a good endless spell to fill with? Honestly I think I want to avoid this option but it depends how good the new monster rules are and not having one is make or break.

horrors stay battlline as long as the unit starts with pinks, they can still split and stuff. Also you can use the blues, brimstones, and exalted flamer as summoned units.

monsters are heavily pushed and can get you (or cost you) extra victory points in the current battlepack.

as for endless spells I'm not sure. Chronomantic Cogs is a good one at 45pts but unless you can somehow snag one separately its part of an expensive boxed set. Never really had much experience with the tzeentch endless spells.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I mean its dancing around the idea that the correct answer to "what monster do I use in a Tzeentch army" is a Lord of Change but a Manticore is almost a third of the price and still quite good.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

skitarii made me realize people gotta normalize just not painting parts of the model that nobody will ever actually see unless they're specifically looking for it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

nobody likes them because they keep demanding they keep all the bones

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I've just realized that they never posted the warscroll pdfs for the dominion units and while its likely they're just waiting for the battletomes I'm slightly worried that this is going to be a thing going forward.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh jeez Horrors no longer count as taking actual casualties until a brimstone dies.

edit: oh wow the unit's changed a lot.

Icons no longer bring back models but now each one in the unit grants a fate point on 3+. Musician grants a +1 to save instead of morale stuff. No to hit bonuses for size or from spellcasting anymore (hence the icon change) so they're stuck with the basic +5/+4/D1 magical flames profile.

Petty Vengeance triggers on a lower roll per horror type. A new wrinkle as written is splitting seems to be mandatory now?

edit 2: nothing else quite as drastic so far. Also they updated a bunch of the legends warscrolls with Cities of Sigmar tags :unsmith:

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 27, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Forever stuck with the burning question of "is it A Loreseeker or The Loreseeker?"

also yeah pinks are no longer conditional wizards but I guess the icon change more than covers the fate points you'd be getting from casting Channeled Fire.

And, again, this is still a unit that's like 50-150 wounds and battleshock not counting till the last third of that if anything made them even better in Host Duplicitous.

my P2G-playing rear end is so loving psyched about the Legends warscrolls getting their keywords updated. Though, like, I feel like the old High Elf Archers and Spears/Seaguard not getting an update is this weird admission that everyone just uses them as Vanari Wardens and Sentinels anyway.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Also just noticed all of the Eldritch Council wizards come with spells but technically cannot cast them since their casts/denies aren't listed on the warscroll.

Mind since this isn't aimed anywhere towards matched play sensible people will assume 1/1.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Faction battalions feel like less of a big deal than it really is since they only grant the listed benefit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

They all have statblocks in the 3e core rules, IIRC. So you just need to get the models.

they're in the GHB, actually, I think.