Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Legions of Nagash should be Soulblight Gravelords, OP ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Someone at my LGS pointed out that the Bombardier warlock is the only new model Skaven have gotten (outside of endless spells/terrain) in AoS.
They also got an Underworlds warband.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Am I mad to use dominion rules with Soulbound go create the ultimate warhammer narrative experience?
You are the opposite of mad, go for it!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm as bummed as the next guy that the double turn still exists, but I don't see how anyone can say that they did absolutely nothing to address it.
  • CP changes
  • Hero abilities
  • New "Interrupts" e.g. Unleash Hell
  • Endless Spell changes
And I'm sure I missed a few, but I think they did a lot to shift the gameplay in a way that de-emphasizes the priority roll by giving the defending player more agency and interaction during the turn. To me it seems like the guiding principle for this edition was "keep the priority roll at all costs, but mitigate its impact."

I wish that they had just nixed it entirely, but for whatever reason its important to them to keep it. On the bright side, designing around the priority roll might have resulted in some really exciting changes that minimize downtime and make the game more interesting in ways that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise. Obviously no one knows if any of these changes will be successful yet, but it seems really promising to me.

Agreed. Personally, I like the priority roll, but I know it's not for everyone. At least, for the very recent batreps coming out with AoS 3.0 rules, it seems like its impact is quite diminished, more than I first thought, as you can see in this example, where both players traded priority rolls in the second and third turn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRd4-S21QJ0

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

You also get to destroy an objective if you go second on round 3.
This is only if your battle is located in the Realm of Ghur.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GreenMarine posted:

Have they made available any information on new unit sizes or related changes?
Not yet, they should be out with the new General's Handbook.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Yesterday, the tickets for AoS US Open Series in Orlando, FL, New Orleans, LA, and Austin, TX were up and gone in three minutes (apparently)... and I couldn't get one :cry:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/14/get-ready-to-roll-secure-your-us-open-series-ticket-today/

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've been told AoS (or its attached RPGs) gives some actual depictions of the Chaos gods' positive aspects, in contrast to 40k. I don't play, so I don't know, but is that true and if so where do I go find it?
Not sure about Soulbound, but in the Slaves to Darkness Battletome, there're lists of the aspects of the Chaos Gods that different tribes worship and some are a little less blatantly evil than others.

You can find the list of each god's aspects and alternate names in Lexicanum:
https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Elemental_Deity#Chaos_Gods

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

New GHB with the new points for all factions, increases all around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGwGjNBBwk

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I can't believe Katakros went down 30 points for OBR. Let's hope we see some changes for their discipline points.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Batreps with the new rules have starting to pop up on YouTube and Twitch, they look quite fun with the new reactions, smaller maps, and abilities. We'll have to see what the new points do, but it looks like they did it to compensate for the smaller map.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Apparently we all missed the asterisk next to GW's statement that there would be "a huge number of boxes available," because while that's technically true, it turns out that the great majority of those won't actually be turning up until Christmas.
This is good for me because I was thinking of getting two boxes anyway. If I can get one this pre-order, another one for Christmas would be nice.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

I am pretty concerned about Unleash Hell to be honest. Shooting was already pretty oppressive at times.
If someone charges 30 Lumineth Sentinels, they deserve it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Just pre-ordered through my FLGS with an extra discount... and so, the waiting begins.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

edit: lmao naturally everyone with ten piles of unpainted models and nobody to play with are declaring this as proof that games workshop is dead dead dead because it didn't get insta-gobbled up by scalpers and flipped on ebay for six times the price. it's either fake fomo scarcity bullshit and also GW is incompetent and also its all a hoax for the shareholders and they HATE their fans and gw is going woke and broke or its nobody wants the game because it didn't instantly sell out in twelve hours and GW has been lying to their investors these last few years and GW is going woke and broke. I wish i had the ability to live in copeland like this
:psypop:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dominion's price and availability meant that our local AoS group convinced at least seven 40k players to take the plunge and start an AoS army. Hopefully, the new rules can keep them, a lot of the 40k guys complain about the double turn every single time we are playing AoS around them... without trying it when we offer a demo, of course.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, good news for them - I've heard a couple people say AoS 3.0 is getting into the territory of 40K-lite now, with the changes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if it is, I don't know how I feel about that. I like the two sharing a core, but I'm not at all keen on playing Warhammer: Age of 40K and only really seeing a change in army types (yes, I know it's not at that point - just saying I like the differentiation.)
Sadly, that was one of the things that attracted some of them to the new rules. Well, that and space-marine exhaustion...

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Sneak peak at some new SCE points from their (presumed) new battletome, along with a hint at a new battleline unit called Vanquishers. Notably, Sequitors no longer have a Lord Arcanum as general requirement to be battleline.

The lack of Vanguard-Hunters with the rest of the battleline makes me think they could be renamed.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The comparison is probably not to cursed city but more to the 40k box, which GW also kinda compared it to. That one sold out in hours and they had to do a super special extra run for half a year, despite an immense amount of reassurance that there would be more than enough for everyone before the launch. There hype for 9 was real, and space marines are way more popular than sigmarines.
Indomitus was like that because almost every single 40k player plays Space Marines and look! More space marines with different hats!

AoS is a different beast and if all the boring unboxing videos can get some people to make the jump and start an army with Dominion or whatever, that's a win in my book. And yes, Kruleboyz own.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Danimo posted:

Reports from people who have got a lot of 3.0 games in reflect a decent change in how the "double turn" feels. The heroic actions, monster rampages and extra command point legimately make your opponent's turns more interactive. It isn't going to completely nullify the advantage of getting two turns in a row, sure, but thats just the game.
Agreed, in the batreps I've seen, the impact of the priority roll is really diminished because you can do stuff. And most of the comments of the people that already played with the new rules have been really positive.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

PotatoManJack posted:

Am I also correct in thinking that buying one of the faction "Start Collecting" boxes is generally good value for money in terms of number of minis I get and will also give me what I need to actually play?
The launch box for the 3rd edition has an extremely good value too, for $200 USD you get over $500 USD of minis. And even with that, you could sell the faction you don't like on eBay.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Floppychop posted:

I played a demo game of 3.0 with my local Warhammer store's manager. He played the new storm cast and I played my Clan Skryre Skaven.

The Rally command ability is really, really good
How did you feel about the game in general while playing? Especially in comparison with 2nd edition. Slower? Faster? Cramped?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Good news, some rumors say that Nurgle is on the shortlist to get a new battletome. Bad news, the rumors are from 4chan.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm a little late to the sales-chat but there's actually a chart of the Top 5 Non-Collectible Miniature Lines that reflects sales based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. Warhammer 40k has been #1 for a while:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/41010/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-spring-2018

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/45370/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-fall-2019

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/47882/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-fall-2020

Still, once it reached the list back in 2018, AoS has been a constant presence among the top 5 in sales.

Now, look at this one from 2015:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32096/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-spring-2015

Or this one from 2014:

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/30000/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-summer-2014

The last time Warhammer Fantasy appeared in the top 5 sales was in the summer 2013 report:

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/27069/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-summer-2013

Now, there's not to say that it wasn't selling, but just take a look at the other games on that list and you'll see why it was worrying to GW. Yes, there was a lot of mismanaging, but I'm still in the opinion that ending Fantasy was the right choice, really badly done, but that's another conversation.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Floppychop posted:

To be fair, Privateer Press (Warmachine and Hordes) shot themselves in the foot and seems to be actively trying to kill themselves.
Definitely. I never played their games but knew people that did and it was very sad to see their place in the stores just disappear over time.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

neaden posted:

AoS is a better setting for a wargame then the Old World. The setting is more malleable so you can feel more free to create your own dudes without worrying where they fit in the map. It also makes it easier to explain why any two armies are fighting where in the Old World they might be on separate continents. Since it's also not as tied with a historically inspired setting it's also more diverse racially and gender wise where in the Old World nonwhite races were more just of the side of the map and not a playable faction. For all that people make fun of Stormcast as being sigmarines they give a showcase faction that lets you be more of a straightforward good guy rather then fascist child soldiers.
Agreed. Frankly, when I first became aware of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, it was a big turn-off that my part of the world was represented by dinosaurs wearing representations of local ancient cultures. Still, it was no better for a huge part of the world.
Years later, I played a bunch of Total War: Warhammer, decided to give the tabletop game another chance and I was pleasantly surprised that it was a whole new thing.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Not to mention they used those realms a lot in... well, "Broken REALMS". Now with the new General's Handbook only located in Ghur, it looks like they are going to use them for these "seasons" of matched play.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deofuta posted:

OBR seem to be in a rough spot if you decide not to play with Katakros. The generation of points is there but not having access to the new general command abilities is tough when they are so darn good. Also only being able to use each ability once and each unit can only be effected by one ability is something to get used to as well.
Arkhan can still spam Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield so that's something, but yeah, since you can only use command abilities once per phase, games are going to be pretty rough for them.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Really hope the battletomes are soon, Kruleboyz are kool but sitting around without a codex for a month or more is decidedly not kool
Since it would take me around two months to paint them, I'm okay with that.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Turns out the stream hosts got their info wrong:
The rumors said that Nurgle is one of the first battletomes, so I'm guessing that.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Also, Tabletop Titans are doing their AoS 3.0 debut in less than an hour.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/05/broken-realms-fiction-kunnin/

More stuff for Kruleboyz hinted at here, looks like we have Orcs riding "monstrous wyvern-like vultures" with one of them being a special character
Yeah, you can look at something like that on the cover of the new Orruk battletome... somewhere in the background.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Hopefully the underworlds warband is a sign of things to come, less african tribesman and more caveman
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed that. They are way better.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Agreed, I painted my own as Hallowed Knights, the superior color scheme.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I went to pick up my Dominion box and apparently, the owner of my FLGS got 50 boxes and already sold 30 in just preorders and another 10 from people coming to the store, not bad for a store in a third-world country. I can't wait to start teaching people to play.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Oh nice, the Extremis set has some scenery.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

moths posted:

What's the Extremis set?

This one:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I wish they had female sculpts for that unit, my girlfriend wants one to be Stormcast Noi.
I'm thinking about swapping one of their heads anyway for one from Forgeworld.
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Stormcast-Eternals-Heads-Upgrade-2-2019
I've had that set for a long time and I think it's time to finish using the few I have left with all the new stormcasts.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Agreed, we actually convinced a few 40k player to play AoS thanks to Dominion availability and price. And this is with a store that still has a couple of boxes of Indomitus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That bird is right out of The Dark Crystal, love it!