Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
SIng me up for a scientist specializedd in whatever archaeology is in this world. Xeno or human kind, I am okay with both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
I say, pass me that vodka before going to bed.
I vote for Bedfellows

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
One question.
How are we going to stop them from "telegraphing" back home?

I know if Miltiades called for help, there is no chance it will come in time....
But how about we jamm ship's comm, so there is less chance Miltiades will send message telling their masters who attacked them.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

Considering the existence of tightbeam communications and the fact that the League has, it appears, boots and facilities on several celestial bodies, it's likely going to be complicated to jam anything but the most basic communication systems, and we'd still need to line up properly with the receiving body to fool anything but the most basic antenna design.

And I'm going to be honest, I don't think these guys are using AM with no carrier wave.

On the other hand that's entirely on the DM and if TNEs are magic don't care lol makes better space combat and story, then it's that.

Too bad.

Pharnakes posted:

Like I said earlier, even if we could stop them it wouldn't really change anything, there's no possible cover story that adequately explains the Militades disappearing whilst pursuing us, and if even try it just makes us look weak. We have to think like bullies here, blow this guy out of space then tell his boss "well he disrespected us so he had to die, but we know it was your ship so please accept apology and potentially booby trapped shakedown loot."

Ideally if we could capture the ship, then that means we could give it back to the Achileans, and maybe somehow engineer it so the boss and his buddies end up on the ship somehow? A decapitating strike would probably result in half their "navy" trying to set up their own shop, and a bunch of the other polities around here, even if they might not like us much, would surely join in on the golden opportunity to take out the arseholes that keep shaking them down.

You are right, but I was hoping we could jam their comms to get few extra hours, or whatever, for our own activities. But it is a moot point, as it seems we aren't even capable of jamming anything more complex than a toaster.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Fray posted:

“No. Not here, anyway. Not in the time limit Dias gave. That’s why I’d like you to cut it out of the floor for us. We’ll set up an airgap lab back home and keep working on it there.”

This is something I would have done if time was of the essence during the excavation, or had to do something in a lab. And... I was kinda part of something like this. Cut out skull and some other bones with soil and all, as well as the remains of trash pit or firespot, so it could be examined later and made more presentable.
So... bravo, you could be an archaeologist.

Also, hope that Idhrendur is careful while making the cut. I wouldn't be surprised that it has extra layers of security that aren't visible.

And I have a bad feeling about this unlooted place. Seems to me like someone attacked whoever owned this ship, wiped them out and left the place to rot. Either they were killing heretics or political opponents... or they were doing some purging of the sick.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Projects:
1. Eyes - We need to have some safeguard against foreign threat. At least to prepare our defenses, and not get caught with our pants down (I am assuming assault scenario, not small stealth scenario)
2. Legitimate Salvage - Even if we only get a decent ship, it would heighten our battle power, while spreading it in more than on basket. IT would mean enemy need to destroy two ships to cripple us, not one.
3. Armed and Operational - But, it is not prudent to ignore possibilitz to upgrade existing hardware.
4. Scrapper - Dunno what else to put.

Strategy Decisions
Sell Supplies – Yes and No – Keep most of them, sell only what is deemed non strategic.
Martian Hype – No– Let's wait and see, no need to take sides for the time being
Viva La – No– No need to antagonize anyone for time being

From the Ashes Upgrade Decision
Main Engineering– Surviving longer is more important than hitting harded. And yes, I agree, we are going to get hit, no matter what.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Honesty if there's any other polity that'll be directly involved with us, it'll be Teucer since they'll have the strongest bargaining position, they'll likely want a prime seat in whatever alliance/coalition/hegemony/federation we build.

Voting Frugal Shooper or similar idea of use the free bribe, fix the environmentals and move on. We've got at least five more asteroids to work with here, lets not blow our cash on the first one here and reduce our options down the line.

Add my voice to agree pile

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

We should pack some amount of trade goods,
(...)
(...)
forced to detour to Vesta and buy fuel if we end up burning enough that we can't get home on what's left in the tanks after dealing with the pirates.

I agree with having some contingency for purchasing fuel if need arises. But this would be best done with high value, low weight goods, so we don't lose too much mileage due to added weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Well it is good to hear that your wife is better.
Such a terrible disease with such innocent name...

Take your time, don't rush.