Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

June 4 2021 posted:

The only indecent SciFi series was LEXX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

my name is lexx and im here to

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I watched the first episode of Altered Carbon and that was pretty good.

Stargate is awful and I love it for that.

Thanks for listening to my exhaustive list of sci-fi knowledge. I hope we all learned something.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Life X years from now will become easier than what we did to make life easier from X years ago up to the present day - whether X is 1 or 500 years.

Were good at luxury, and tending to our own filthy, selfish needs. And were only getting better. Think about what life was like 500 years ago. Getting the flu was a death sentence, and the greatest kings didn't have ice in their drinks.

Now think about 500 years from now. Who could be bothered to wage a war when you're getting your dick sucked literally 24/7?

Hell, even today the richest of the rich don't have better phones, or watch better movies than we do. More and more will come to the masses - capitalism demands it.

What that means basically is that there will be much less conflict. Much less friction. Wars? Uprisings? lol nah. But does that make for a compelling book/movie/streaming grift TV show? No! So something's gotta give - and that thing is the tech. It MUST suck somehow, otherwise the characters have nothing to do.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

The Bramble posted:

I stopped reading sci Fi as much because the genres obsession with "hard" science. It's annoying and often counterproductive to good literature.

Oh you're gonna hate the growing and increasingly popular trend of ''Hard Fantasy".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Expanse is pretty good for sci fi, the only suspension of disbelief tech is the insanely efficient 'epstein' fusion drive, and the unknowable alien goo that can disregard newtonian physics.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MA-Horus posted:

Expanse is pretty good for sci fi, the only suspension of disbelief tech is the insanely efficient 'epstein' fusion drive, and the unknowable alien goo that can disregard newtonian physics.

Anti-g-force drugs, too but that's a pretty minor conceit all things considered

It's good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Oh you're gonna hate the growing and increasingly popular trend of ''Hard Fantasy".

wtf is this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Randarkman posted:

I've always felt it's a shame that the sequels and subsequent media deviated from this and essentially just made them normal guns that shoot lasers for the most part.

That's probably too many words about that.

Why is the galactic empire equipping their troops with clumsy garbage weapons? And also armor that doesn’t do anything.

More importantly, if you have hyperdrive vehicles, why not send one through the Death Star and annihilate with a faster than light impact? Seems much easier than attacking it. Same with star destroyers. One drone-manned freighter could take out any of the capital ships.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

because it's not trying to be anything more than a ww2 commando movie in space

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Management posted:

Why is the galactic empire equipping their troops with clumsy garbage weapons? And also armor that doesn’t do anything.

Because Star Wars is a space adventure film.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Not gonna lie, I am a bit disappointed that there was never a "ramming speed!" moment now.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MA-Horus posted:

The expanse was great except for the belter creole.

Science fiction is allowed to have things that are fictional as yet undiscovered science. The Epstein drive and goo are fine. The show uses torpedos, has relative velocities, acceleration effects, low G, vacuum, and the ships are constantly decelerating in reverse, which you never see in other mainstream sci-fi.

But this is all good stuff. The expanse uses the technology. People find blue goo, they immediately make it into a weapon. They have medicine printers and autodocs. The use zero g to their advantage. You never see the crew of the enterprise floating in zero g.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Slayerjerman posted:

Why would anyone beam down to any planet without a pocket shield emitter that can save you from taking a disrupter blast to the chest.

Or better, just use your big screen tv to zoom and enhance whatever it is on the surface you need to see. Absolutely no reason to have "boots on the ground".

Stay at home, explore the planet from your holodeck. Send a remote probe down there and through instant subspace communication you can feel like you’re right there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
No scifi show uses robots to do anything, despite obviously having the technology to do so. That abandoned spaceship you’re trying to salvage, send a drone in there before you walk around and discover the terrible thing that murdered the crew.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The Bloop posted:

Anti-g-force drugs, too but that's a pretty minor conceit all things considered

It's good

I liked the gforce drugs because it was not a miracle drug. It was clearly not a healthy cocktail and came with substantial risk. This was better than everyone standing on a star trek bridge and shaking slightly when the ship moves.

And seconded. It's good

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The greatest and final technological advancement humanity will ever make is a drug that has all the effects of something like Fentanyl, but without side effects, and is as cheap/easy to grow as weed.

We will all basically curl into the societal fetal position of pure unmitigated bliss as automation takes care of our other basic needs, and we will never get around to sending anything outside our planet's orbit again.

Gone will be the persistent egotistical desires of reproduction, socialization, identity, or self-worth. There is only bliss, cradle to grave, and no one will mourn your loss - because no one mourns anything. Basically becoming a self-pleasuring mold that persist along the surface of this rock - refining and mastering the uptime of the drug over the course of all moments of all waking life.

As if the ambitous desire to conquer half the galaxy in some intergalactic future space war was anything but an instinctive desire to feel that particular flavor of bliss anyway. The drug will get you there, without the pesky war. And if not you then your kids, or your kid's kids. The evergreen idea outliving any sort of conservatism about it.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’ll take bad tech over hokey-rear end space religion. So the God-Aliens in the wormhole just blinked the entire Dominion fleet out of existence? gently caress that, Bejor should be a smoking hole and everyone in the Alpha Quadrant should be all hosed up on tetracel white.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

sure okay posted:

Life X years from now will become easier than what we did to make life easier from X years ago up to the present day - whether X is 1 or 500 years.

Were good at luxury, and tending to our own filthy, selfish needs. And were only getting better. Think about what life was like 500 years ago. Getting the flu was a death sentence, and the greatest kings didn't have ice in their drinks.

Now think about 500 years from now. Who could be bothered to wage a war when you're getting your dick sucked literally 24/7?

Hell, even today the richest of the rich don't have better phones, or watch better movies than we do. More and more will come to the masses - capitalism demands it.

What that means basically is that there will be much less conflict. Much less friction. Wars? Uprisings? lol nah. But does that make for a compelling book/movie/streaming grift TV show? No! So something's gotta give - and that thing is the tech. It MUST suck somehow, otherwise the characters have nothing to do.

Have you heard about global climate change or the anthropocene extinction event? Give it twenty years and it's gonna be Bezos, Musk et al kicking each other out of the way to get on the rockets first along with their indentured servants while the rest of us burn.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

sure okay posted:

This is amazingly tonedeaf and 1st world centric. There's going to be plenty of fighting when the problems like failing agriculture, limited water, and no clean air can't be fixed with more tech. It's not that the tech sucks, but we can't just build our way out of these problems.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lol at the people in thread deriding fantasy as being less legitimate than sci-fi when it’s all deus ex machina bullshit - as Asimov said, “any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The Management posted:

No scifi show uses robots to do anything, despite obviously having the technology to do so. That abandoned spaceship you’re trying to salvage, send a drone in there before you walk around and discover the terrible thing that murdered the crew.

They use probes to map out the engineer ship in Prometheus and still go walk over to check out the black goo and bitey wildlife in-person. I think that was pretty realistic for a bunch of bros on an interstellar road trip but pretty dubious for a supposed science team that ought to have protocols for exploring stuff. Even with robots we'll find a way to gently caress it up is what I'm saying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Any really good scifi OR fantasy is really about PEOPLE anyway

Change THIS and how would people be?

Internal consistency and not pulling poo poo out of your rear end at the end is generally good for making it satisfying though, yes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Stormtroopers in star wars are only so useless because the protagonists have the force on their side just loving up all the probabilities and making them super lucky :)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Stormtroopers in star wars are only so useless because the protagonists have the force on their side just loving up all the probabilities and making them super lucky :)

It's true, they explicitly have plot armor

Just not against other strong force users like Sith or JarJar

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Stormtroopers have bad aim because of their poorly designed helmets OP. The empire ordered them in bulk though and it’s too costly to reoutfit them with proper helmets that let them see and aim.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

Not gonna lie, I am a bit disappointed that there was never a "ramming speed!" moment now.

Star trek has a few and one is even in a decent movie

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

Stormtroopers have bad aim because of their poorly designed helmets OP. The empire ordered them in bulk though and it’s too costly to reoutfit them with proper helmets that let them see and aim.

We give highly trained soldiers magnified optics and they still miss all the time. It's just more obvious when you're shooting lasers and everything is highly polished.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Simple projectiles with FTL engines seem like the endgame. Even without warheads.

Watching Admiral Purple hair lightspeed ram her cruiser into the capital/mother ship in the recent star war was the coolest thing I've seen in scifi in 30 years. I'd think if the rebels were really desperate, one cruiser to take out each deathstar would pretty much solve dealing with imperial super weapons.

It might not destroy Starkiller base, but I bet it'd greatly disable it. It's not like it's going to be very hidden. But I guess sith planet is hidden because the map triangle says it is?

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 15, 2021

Elburroman
Dec 27, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Hi can I pass your info on to Boston Dynamics? I get a 10% finder's fee so this would really help me buy more time for my device that lets me live forever.

Yes and I think we should join forces you are clearly mondo at science and I have clearly lost a great deal of penis

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Slayerjerman posted:

Simple projectiles with FTL engines seem like the endgame. Even without warheads.

Watching Admiral Purple hair lightspeed ram her cruiser into the capital/mother ship in the recent star war was the coolest thing I've seen in scifi in 30 years. I'd think if the rebels were really desperate, one cruiser to take out each deathstar would pretty much solve dealing with imperial super weapons.

Yeah a can of coke projected at .99999c could explode, well anything I can imagine.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

they should repeat the space battles at least 3x before they declare a winner imo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If you could move a can .9999c in a line you probably wouldn't need the can to kill them tbh

It's probably easier to build a death star lol

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Statutory Ape posted:

If you could move a can .9999c in a line you probably wouldn't need the can to kill them tbh

It's probably easier to build a death star lol

Ok a grain of sand or a tiny ingot of tungsten, whatevs, the filthy enemy still dies, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Atticus_1354 posted:

I liked the gforce drugs because it was not a miracle drug. It was clearly not a healthy cocktail and came with substantial risk. This was better than everyone standing on a star trek bridge and shaking slightly when the ship moves.

And seconded. It's good

also lets you lampshade writing out one of the main characters when the actor turns out to be a total pest. "oh no, he had a stroke from the gforce drugs and will not be appearing in the next season. moving on..."

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Any really good scifi OR fantasy is really about PEOPLE anyway

Change THIS and how would people be?

Internal consistency and not pulling poo poo out of your rear end at the end is generally good for making it satisfying though, yes

Holy poo poo wrong. WRONG sooooo wrong. It's all about the cool techno magic and world building and not your lovely cliche interchangeable bad generic character drama.

Best scifi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZRSwul7cE

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pawn 17 posted:

This just reminded me that the tie fighter design is terrible.

It's a fighter with a tiny field of view for the pilot because it only has forward windows and even if it had windows both sides are completely covered with the wings.

I never really thought about it until they released a VR star wars dogfighting game and everybody complained about flying those ships because you have to just look straight forward all the time. Not very compelling as a VR experience.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

With tech that advanced can't they just say "well of course there's external cameras, duh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

With tech that advanced can't they just say "well of course there's external cameras, duh."

My thought was they should just make it so that the pilot helmets have augmented reality built in that lets them see through the ship, like ones we already have in real life, but I'm guessing they think that it wouldn't feel like Star Wars or would be stepping too far out of the bounds of canon for a game that takes place in a very defined era.

I say gently caress all that and make the game fun.