Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Cyrano4747 posted:

No gods, no masters, read your books and get 'em dirty.

Books are like guns - you're an idiot if you abuse them, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of honest wear from them being used for the purpose that they were made for.

I've got a lot of nice books and I'll read all of them. I try to take care of them, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I get a crease in a dustjacket or put a smudge on a page. I've also got even more not nice books that I am utterly ruthless towards and will write in with abandon.

It's OK to use nice things, even if it ends up with them not being in 100% NIB mint condition.

I still wouldn't muss up a signed limited edition of 500. A legit rare collectable with damage is extremely difficult to sell, which someone related to you will likely do someday in the next century. Nobody wants to shell out serious cash for a damaged version of their white whale.

It's like getting a rare coin certified, but it gets the dreaded designation of "CLEANED." I saw a $60-$80 coin, graded but with CLEANED on the label, sell for $23 yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol I came THIS close to posting “before log gets in I’ll also say I’d read his fancy signed books” just to rile you up.

Please put on your silver polishing gloves before coming at me, fine sir.