Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's been two years since the Scripps Spelling Bee had an event, and last time it had eight (eight!!) co-champions, which should've brought existential questions about whether spelling is a competition or not. This year they've been playing around with what's expected of the kids in the second round by throwing them questions about what words mean as opposed to simply just their spelling, so you have to know the dictionary backwards and forwards and not just rote memorize the letters in sequence, which... probably won't whittle things that down, to be honest. But maybe! Quarterfinals are today at noon on ESPN 3, while semifinals will be on June 27th with the finals on July 8th, which... seems very bizarre scheduling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why do spelling bees have to only allow children to be competitors? Surely there is room for a proper pro scene and more demanding formats.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

let's bee it up yo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they should add sections where the children have to do MMA moves and strikes to each other, like chessboxing

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they should add sections where the children have to do MMA moves and strikes to each other, like chessboxing
Let's see those little nerds try and remember how to spell anything after Bozo the bully gives them a severe wet nelly

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, they're doing it over Zoom, I was not expecting that. Explains the schedule more now.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

So just a trip report for those who can't watch right now because they have lives, but the kids are all at home, occasionally a studio if they're sponsored by a TV station or whatever, and have to hold their hands up for the camera. Feels like you'd more safeguards against cheating than that, maybe the camera operator is from the spelling bee? Dunno. Thing I like is they're complimenting these kids when they miss before going, a nice touch since it's done more or less in isolation without any support from the fellow spellers or anything like that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't catch any of the semifinals so I have no idea how differently it was formatted compared to the stuff I was seeing. Tomorrow's the finals and I recognize none of the spellers from any previous competitions, which is to be expected when a year passes. I will probably be recording something for a podcast during the time it's on (unfortunately) but I might try and watch it somehow during that. If the Suns are beating the Bucks' rear end badly enough, you could do worse than tune to ESPN 2 and watch middle schoolers try to tie each other as 12-way cochampions of spelling.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Zaila Avant-Garde is a pretty rocking name.