Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
post-apocalyptic prospectors will be mining the ruins of human civilization for the precious enamel pins to use as currency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Vulture pin sequel project! This time with Owls!

Holy poo poo that pin of my namesake —-

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

My partner's pin collection is intense and powerful. She sells pins on Etsy and, back in the before times, would table at nerd conventions. Apparently, vendors at those conventions would trade art and pins on the last day, so a lot of her collection is from that.

Details of my fav pins:

Holy poo poo, I want that floppy labeled "fan fiction" so badly.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have that exact one! It appears to be out of stock right now, but it's from this shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MonsterCliche

I also bought these ones from them:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Am I the only person who imagines what all these pins will be doing 100 years from now? Will there be collectors who try to track down specific artists, especially when some of these pins are genuinely limited as part of a Kickstarter or just a small batch in general? What will future art and fashion historians draw from this period? There’s no way to know but gosh it’s neat.

Ever dug through the bulk pin bin at a vintage shop where you can get a handful for a few bucks?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pin mail! :toot:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

This kickstarter is only pin-adjacent, but:

I would probably want the starry one if it didn't have the fringe.

Edit: oh my gosh look what I just found :3:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/978376101/covid-vaccination-hard-enamel-pin

Everett False fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 20, 2021

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Vulture pin sequel project! This time with Owls!

Oh! I actually got the full set of New World vulture pins from the last one, but this wasn't even on my radar somehow. I can't NOT get the Old World vultures, too....

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
I have a crown royal bag full of pins but here are my favorites that I keep on my jacket

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She bought me one for Christmas last year. :kimchi:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Awww. It's now on MonsterCliche's shop, rather than Etsy; they said they had to take it down from Etsy. https://monstercliche.com/collections/enamel-pins/products/fan-fiction-floppy-disk-enamel-pin

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I started doing goruck stuff and now I collect patches. I just ordered a whole mess of non-branded, cute/gay/geeky ones to throw on my backpack when I'm not at an event or if I want to make my political views obvious at the event, but so far this is what I've got.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i also own one patch

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Probably like half of these were just things i came across on AliExpress that were like $1 or so, many others are legit

And my jacket, which is hard to get a good photo of

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I have an itabag for enamel pins... worth it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Alder posted:

Where did you get that one? It's nicely clean in design.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

kreeningsons posted:

i also own one patch

That’s hilarious.

I have a lot of enamel pins, they’re largely from places I’ve visited, gifts from friends from places *they* visited, or random pop culture stuff I like. It’s kind of a grab bag.

I have a row of pins representing controllers for retro video game consoles I own, arranged in chronological order.

I’ve also got a bunch of FiGPiNs, anyone else into those?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where did you get that one? It's nicely clean in design.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/855308485/cat-window-bag-ita-bag?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

It's from Blue Robotto.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Xenomrph posted:

That’s hilarious.

I have a lot of enamel pins, they’re largely from places I’ve visited, gifts from friends from places *they* visited, or random pop culture stuff I like. It’s kind of a grab bag.

I have a row of pins representing controllers for retro video game consoles I own, arranged in chronological order.

I'd never heard of Figpins and I like em!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, had to stop for a bit though, since I was buying anything with a nifty design, not just things I liked the franchise of. And the limited and exclusive edition poo poo they like to do on their site was getting to me. I also ruined the resale by taking nearly all of them out of the box and putting them on my boards, so there nyah. Let's see if I can get pics in a black hole....

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Alder posted:

That SilverAsh pin is super cute; where'd you get it?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Image dump with crap photos but here's all the figpins and figpin related stuff I got.

When I redid my boards I put most of them together. I think I wound up with so many Dragon Ball characters just as a result of liking Akira Toriyama's character designs more than anything. My knowledge of the show is entirely through osmosis and Team Four Star.

Chococat however was the last addition so he's in a different spot below the big group. It's supposed to be from the Sanrio X Naruto Shippuden set, and he is wearing Sasuke's clothes, but let's face it if you didn't know it'd just be a black cat wearing an old timey Japanese costume.

Sonic and Spyro are on the video game section of the board. Sonic I only have because I lucked into the exclusive glitter version at Target one day.

Randy is special and gets to be on the music (and flowers) board on a technicality, instead of in video games.

Yes I only bought this because of the deep discount and the character happens to be in a primary color scheme. While its awesome that they make enamel pins this big (it's like 7 inches tall!) it's also takes up a ton of space on the boards so I took him down and put him back in the box.

This guy I bought because cool winged dude since I don't actually care about My Hero Academia. But I've never taken this one out of the box because he shot up in value pretty quickly. Now it make no sense to keep him in there because both Spyro and Randy are much more expensive and hard to get now.

Bonus factoid, you see all those chunky pixel Pacman/ghosts/powerups going diagonally up through this image? They're from a blind bag series of Pacman pins made years ago by the same company, CMD Collectibles. I'm half certain its one of the first pin things they made. And just so no one has any illusions about where these pins come from and the kind of of business making them, CMD stands for China Manufacturing Direct. Make of it what you will. At least they are a high quality pin, they do have the process down pat.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Leraika posted:

That SilverAsh pin is super cute; where'd you get it?

I got him and others from Taobao which often has AK fan merch too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kreeningsons posted:

i also own one patch

the people who makes these have a lot of stuff that would be of interest to this thread!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Graveface

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Alder posted:

I got him and others from Taobao which often has AK fan merch too.

Oh drat, then I'd have to figure out how to use taobao. I'm also looking for AK merch that's less character specific (maybe faction icons or some sort of rhodes island iconography) so I might as well learn that now.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Bonus factoid, you see all those chunky pixel Pacman/ghosts/powerups going diagonally up through this image? They're from a blind bag series of Pacman pins made years ago by the same company, CMD Collectibles. I'm half certain its one of the first pin things they made. And just so no one has any illusions about where these pins come from and the kind of of business making them, CMD stands for China Manufacturing Direct. Make of it what you will. At least they are a high quality pin, they do have the process down pat.

Where did all those asteroids / digdug / etc pins come from? I must have them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sockser posted:

Where did all those asteroids / digdug / etc pins come from? I must have them.

Mostly ebay, I scored a good chunk of them in a lot. They are enamel collector pins Atari put out in the early 80s for their arcade games and they're getting hard to come by these days. Here's a (not mine) picture of the retail display ganked from a thread on Atariage.

And this isn't all of them there are a few more here and there. I'm guessing the ones in this display were the first run. There's ones of Quantum, Crystal Castle, Liberator, and Star Wars which is perhaps the rarest to find.

There's also a bunch of pins that were included with Atari Lynx games in Europe, you can see a few in the next line under the arcade games. They're kinda small and cruddy looking tbh but last I looked most were plentiful and cheap if you don't mind importing them from France. And of course I had to have Atari's pin from the 1984 Olympics, makes for a good "title card". It's also easy and cheap to get.

Edit: You could try the Atariage facebook group, they have a separate market one for buying and selling stuff. A dude there had the Asteroids deluxe pin and that's where I bought it.

Double edit: There's buttons as well.

Clearly I cannot stfu about pins.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 27, 2021

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

the people who makes these have a lot of stuff that would be of interest to this thread!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Graveface

i got mine here https://feeluxheavensgate.bigcartel.com/ there are a lot of other makers of them on etsy/elsewhere though

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Sockser posted:

Probably like half of these were just things i came across on AliExpress that were like $1 or so, many others are legit

These are all great but I'm a big fan of that David Byrne pin.

I also own a skelly cat pin!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That David Byrne pin is indeed really powerful.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

These are all great but I'm a big fan of that David Byrne pin.

I also own a skelly cat pin!

JordanKai posted:

That David Byrne pin is indeed really powerful.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/650432241/david-byrne-stop-making-sense-moving?ref=lx_share

it moves

https://www.etsy.com/listing/650432241/david-byrne-stop-making-sense-moving?ref=lx_share
The tayne pin I have also does a hat wobble; from the same shop

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVqLDxxLYkf/?utm_medium=copy_link

quote:

Spooky collab with @authorcstarling: #TheLuminousDead pins are launching Halloween at 2pm EST. There are only about 200 for this run, and it is likely when they are made again they will be a different variation, so get em while you can

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vernilleart/little-witch-acatemy-enamel-pin-collection

:kimchi:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Oh I LOVE those witch cats, and the creator's previous pins are a goldmine also. :3:

That 'get hosed' pin would look great on my jacket underneath my 'queer' pin

https://www.etsy.com/listing/249218247/queer-enamel-lapel-pin-gay-stocking

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

These are technically needle minders, which means they are enamel pins with a magnet on the back instead of a spike. If you're displaying your needle minders rather than putting them on a jacket, they'd work just fine.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GingerStitchAu?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=669376147

But you can't have the one that is a combo needle-minder/ort holder, because it is now MINE. (and I'll be using it to mind needles.)

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Some of those needle minders are really nice!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I really wish that I'd known needle minders were a thing when I was doing sewing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

As long as you don't mind your needles being magnetized. (I don't, but some people do?)

I felt very smug last week. It took me no-lie four hours (while in Zoom calls and the like) but I successfully mended a large L-shaped tear in a new sheet the traditional way, where you put a patch on the back, neaten the tear on the front and whip it down, then fold in the edges of the patch on the back and sew them in. You wind up with three rows of stitching protecting the tear, which is pretty strong.

I really loved the sheet and it was brand-new, which made it worth it. Even granted that my foremothers would have been much faster sewers, I realize why the first-half-of-the-century cliche of Mom in the evenings was her working on the mending. I did learn how to mend a sock as a kid, but by the time I was an adult I didn't bother, nor, I think, did anybody else. (The late 70s, FWIW)

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

On a whim I recently bought a bag of 30 random pins from aliexpress. I was pleasantly surprised to find I liked about half of them. The best one was this rad Doraemon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I never really collect pins, but I've had these guys for.... a while. I'm surprised no one else here has posted some:

I also have these blinky guys that I got as a kid:

https://i.imgur.com/FOo8doP.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/7POPEqb.gifv