Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Holy gently caress why did no one tell me we had a pin collecting thread!!!

I might have a small problem. Most of these aren't artisan though or even enamel pins, unfortunately.

These two for sure are. I don't remember who on eBay the right was but the left came from here.

Bonus pic: Soviet space pins and other stuff.

Goddamn its hard to light things well in this room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks guys, if I can get some light on the subject, you might actually be able to see more! (that and I can't decide which ones to show off). I just recently redid the boards since they were getting out of hand and made some cuts.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Man those etsy ones are nice StrixNebulosa, I really need to find cool artists to follow. I think the pink luna moth is my favorite.

And poo poo that's what the latest Sanrio pin of the month stuff looks like? Looks much better than the old polaroid photo ones.

And for the hell of it my other Sanrio related enamel pins. I got a couple of Hello Kitty buttons too but they're nothing special.

As you can see I got too deep into figpins at one point and have since cut that out. At the moment I'm spinning my wheels waiting for the 25th anniversary card set of Pokémon to come out next week as a couple of the collection boxes have pins included that I want.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Man, those kickstarter projects are neat, I'm kinda considering the Dragon Ladies one now myself. Of course something cool would pop up the instant I decide to cut back on frivoulous spending, never fails. Speaking of, I got one of the new offical flying/surfing pikachu pins:

You rotate the clouds/waves for either pikachu variant and its neat. I got semi-unlucky that mine isn't in top tier condition straight out of the package, but given the mass insanity with pokemon lately I'm not going to complain further about it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Soviet pins are fun to collect and there are a billion of them out there! They commemorated any old event or thing with them from state holidays and leaders, to town crests, to vehicles, to military, to spaceflights, to Christmas/New Years, to fairytales, etc. Apparently the thing to do in Soviet Russia was to collect them and pin them to a banner you'd have hanging. I wound up importing most of mine from Ebay, and now am probably on a watch list for having bought poo poo from Russia and the eastern block countries. The pin backs are small and cheap and can be a bitch to pin to something taught (like my boards) though. And they are cheap as poo poo quality and price wise but eh.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Everyone is doing it so I guess I should come clean. My big orange pin boards were posted earlier in the thread, but I also have these, that are just Pokemon pins:

The only thing that sucks about Pokemon pins is that Japan gets the cooler poo poo and I'm currently not digging the designs that the US Pokemon Center site has. Never was big on the box sprites.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Dang that Chandelure line is better than the offical ones! I haven't really felt the need yet to go unoffical but I may if I find more that are as awesome as these. Previous ones I've stumbled upon have been lame or bogged down in stoner references; I'm so sick of the mountain of pins that are just pop franchise x weed/LSD/shrooms whatever. It's not my jam at all. Plus, the pokemon center site thinks I'm a bot again and is blocking me which is always lovely.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

kreeningsons posted:

i own one pin

Great start!

Woo it's pokemon time again, dynamic poses are great!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve also got a bunch of FiGPiNs, anyone else into those?

Yes, had to stop for a bit though, since I was buying anything with a nifty design, not just things I liked the franchise of. And the limited and exclusive edition poo poo they like to do on their site was getting to me. I also ruined the resale by taking nearly all of them out of the box and putting them on my boards, so there nyah. Let's see if I can get pics in a black hole....

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Image dump with crap photos but here's all the figpins and figpin related stuff I got.

When I redid my boards I put most of them together. I think I wound up with so many Dragon Ball characters just as a result of liking Akira Toriyama's character designs more than anything. My knowledge of the show is entirely through osmosis and Team Four Star.

Chococat however was the last addition so he's in a different spot below the big group. It's supposed to be from the Sanrio X Naruto Shippuden set, and he is wearing Sasuke's clothes, but let's face it if you didn't know it'd just be a black cat wearing an old timey Japanese costume.

Sonic and Spyro are on the video game section of the board. Sonic I only have because I lucked into the exclusive glitter version at Target one day.

Randy is special and gets to be on the music (and flowers) board on a technicality, instead of in video games.

Yes I only bought this because of the deep discount and the character happens to be in a primary color scheme. While its awesome that they make enamel pins this big (it's like 7 inches tall!) it's also takes up a ton of space on the boards so I took him down and put him back in the box.

This guy I bought because cool winged dude since I don't actually care about My Hero Academia. But I've never taken this one out of the box because he shot up in value pretty quickly. Now it make no sense to keep him in there because both Spyro and Randy are much more expensive and hard to get now.

Bonus factoid, you see all those chunky pixel Pacman/ghosts/powerups going diagonally up through this image? They're from a blind bag series of Pacman pins made years ago by the same company, CMD Collectibles. I'm half certain its one of the first pin things they made. And just so no one has any illusions about where these pins come from and the kind of of business making them, CMD stands for China Manufacturing Direct. Make of it what you will. At least they are a high quality pin, they do have the process down pat.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sockser posted:

Where did all those asteroids / digdug / etc pins come from? I must have them.

Mostly ebay, I scored a good chunk of them in a lot. They are enamel collector pins Atari put out in the early 80s for their arcade games and they're getting hard to come by these days. Here's a (not mine) picture of the retail display ganked from a thread on Atariage.

And this isn't all of them there are a few more here and there. I'm guessing the ones in this display were the first run. There's ones of Quantum, Crystal Castle, Liberator, and Star Wars which is perhaps the rarest to find.

There's also a bunch of pins that were included with Atari Lynx games in Europe, you can see a few in the next line under the arcade games. They're kinda small and cruddy looking tbh but last I looked most were plentiful and cheap if you don't mind importing them from France. And of course I had to have Atari's pin from the 1984 Olympics, makes for a good "title card". It's also easy and cheap to get.

Edit: You could try the Atariage facebook group, they have a separate market one for buying and selling stuff. A dude there had the Asteroids deluxe pin and that's where I bought it.

Double edit: There's buttons as well.

Clearly I cannot stfu about pins.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 27, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I am a corporate whore apparently.

To be fair I did think long and hard about this custom eeveelution set, but this year's official Christmas pins won out. I have some other slightly less shallow pins coming in from France that I am also hype for, but it will be a long while before they get here.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

HopperUK posted:

Listen, I love Pokemon and I'm thinking of looking for pins of each of my team after I beat BDSP, and those pins rule. Pikachu is over-exposed but completely adorable imo.

They do make quality pins! And yeah they use Pikachu way too much even though he is the franchise mascot. I have way too much of the yellow rat on my board with out even trying. At least this one is making a snowman and I liked the expression enough on the New Year's one so it gets a pass. Good luck hunting down the BDSP team, between official and custom made you should be able to do it pretty well!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
New pins for everybody! Half my French imports arrived.

As far as I can tell the company that made these (Saggay) specialized in partnering with a bunch of French artists. The left one is Speedy Graphito and the right I think is this Mezzo, it's hard to find examples of his work and I am bad at traversing non US internet in general. It would make sense though because there's a Moebius inspired pin floating around made by the same company. And as a bonus they're not as expensive as all the fine art and designer pins made by Acme Studio. The prices of those even on the secondary market are often a major yikes.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

And the rest of my French imports. The left I think is advertising a sugar company over there and is done in the style of Paul Cezanne, who's one of my favorite painters thanks to Animal Crossing, and the right is a Keith Haring design but I suspect it may be a fake as there's no marking on it. Oh Well.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ah, the listing I bought it from really talked up le sucre, so I just assumed a sugar company, it goes with coffee anyways. I have a habit of checking out what else a seller is selling and it was in and among the other pins they have listed or it was in the Ebay recommendations.

The seller I got it from also has the Salvador Dali one BUT at that price of shipping it's gonna be the pin in a small block of foam, in a baggie with the back, in a letter envelope untracked which can be a risk to say the least. Also I should have paid more attention to the size of it; it was surprisingly small when it arrived. I have no problem with this, just know it's like 3/4 inch by 7/8 inch big.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Zeenovos posted:

A LETTER ENVELOPE? Oh god that's awful and not how to ship pins oh sweet lord - I've worked with the machines that sort lettermail and the number of commemorative employee pins that got ripped out of envelopes by the machine.... and then we couldn't find the envelope it belonged to... Absolutely awful, because then these okay to super cool things would get sent off to get destroyed. 8') If you ever have a seller/trader ask if you're cool with receiving a pin in a regular letter envelope, please please please tell them to send it in a bubble/eco mailer, the padding will save your pin.

People opt for the cheapest especially internationally, packing be damned. And that's why I don't frequently imports pins off of ebay unless it really grabs me enough to take the risk of damage and loss (and subsequent complaints to the seller) because its going to be in an envelope with miniscule padding. I would think the variation in thickness would be enough that it has to be hand processed though? Still it's super high risk, it must cut into their profits too much to spring for padded mailers.

What really bugs me is the people who think enamel is indestructible and just throw a bunch of pins loose into a padded mailer. That's why if you look closely at my Atari Tempest pin there's little chips out of the enamel. For the price I paid for the lot of 8 or 9 the seller could have at least wrapped each one in bubble wrap or at least some paper towel or something, anything would have been better. People are cheap as hell when it comes to packing and shipping and then wonder why their poo poo gets broken and the customer is mad.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Zeenovos posted:

However, I'm looking at this from indie shop perspective and experience as a lot of them do what I do or something similar, I'm not as familiar with what eBay sellers do when they're sending vintage pins, or what official franchise pin sellers tend to do for their packaging.

That's the problem, you care about your product being delivered. Many ebay sellers that I wind up going through are just big rear end resellers (for lack of a better term) the type that are clearly a business and have multi thousands of items listed. Some package well, some are going for pure profit and if it gets broken they'll just refund you and move on. Preserves rating and evidently a refund once in a while is cheaper than a proper pack job. Well, the American scalpers and junk resellers will get boned by taxes next year anyways, I bet ebay is going to look very different in terms of availability and who's behind the storefronts. I'm expecting more corporate accounts and less big time flippers and maybe the occasional actual person that is just looking to clean out their junk.

Fangamer is a fantastic site for pins, I've had to stay away from there as of late myself.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Jesus I'm having trouble comprehending how they're gonna even do that. I know enamel tech has come a long way but goddamn!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah I was more curious how they are gonna get that level of detail on the Sailor Moon characters, never mind the two layers of honking huge spinner pin happening.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Leraika posted:

Speaking of pinboards, what would you suggest for one? I'm currently using a corkboard from ikea but it is incredibly thin (the pins pierce through it entirely, but not enough to be easily capped) and I'm worried about durability.

I'm weird and like stretching canvas so my boards are a layer of either lovely old polyester blankets or quilt batting* stretched over wood stretcher bars, then I stretched some pretty yet neutral colored fabric over that. The advantages are you can make them any size you want and put bar and stick pins on them. The down side is with tack pins you won't be able to use the outside two inches or so of the edges for those type pins as the canvas bars will be in the way. If it helps I can pull one down off the wall and show the front/back of it.

*if you use quilt batting be very gentle in stretching it, it shreds and tears easily as it's not meant for this poo poo but it's there for some extra body for the pins to stab through. Felt could also work for this I would think.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Now pan the camera right again and tell us who made the flower pin.

Please and thank you it's neato!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sorry for making you ask!

No problem sorry for being snarky about it. I've clicked through to the Etsy shop and dang I can't decide these are some good flowers.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Forgive me pin thread for I have sinned and bought Metazoo merch.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And here I am asking about that adorably angry Ho-oh in the top left. He's so cute! And mad!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

While I think about all the amazing variety of custom pokemon pins here's a licensed Kirby, because I didn't have one somehow.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Bees on Wheat posted:

Bought this figpin because it was on sale and now I can't decide if I should put it on my pin banner or leave it in the box.. :sigh:

I wound up slapping them all on my boards, but now I have a pile of nice plastic boxes taking up space in the closet. Should probably dig out Hawks and put him up for the hell of it, I never did. Should also do something about the extra large All Might: while giant 7 inch pins are cool he of course takes up massive amounts of space and I have way too many My Hero Academia characters for a show I don't care about in the least. And the giant All Might was impulse bought only because he was on super deep discount due to a damaged box. This is why I don't look at figpins anymore, as cool as they are.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Bees on Wheat posted:

The four on the left were from a local artist at a festival; the four in the middle are from BoxLunch. Kinda bummed they didn't seem to have the other sailor senshi. Both of the Ariel pins also came from a festival and might be bootlegs idk, everything else at that stand obviously was.. :shrug:

Tbh I have no clue how to tell if a Disney pin is a bootleg, I've gotten a few from various places (mostly ebay) and I'm sure some of mine are but eh. Still look decent to my eye.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I've been slacking off when it comes to pins lately, the newest additions I've got are the radiant eevee and kleavor pins at the bottom of my board here. But, I did just buy a sweet pair of poke pins from a nice goon that I'm hype for!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got the goon pins in, my collection of Pokemon Nationals competitor and staff pins grows:

The new ones are the gen 8 starters pair, with a lot of shiny metal that didn't photo too well. They're super chunky and thick too, surprised they didn't put two pin backs on them.

and I got some from the Pokemon Center itself

These aren't totally a true enamel, I don't think, the colors feel like they're printed on in some fashion. That's how they can get the fine details and multiple colors next to each other without divisions it seems. The ponyta is a spinner pin (hence double photo) which I like the concept of but so far haven't been wild about the execution; I just wanted an official galarian pontya pin, even if it looks a bit neopets.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I assume some of y'all might still be on fangamer's mailing list: I just got the email that they're starting their own Pinverse thing. Which is all fine and good, but as some one who just cleaned out a ton of backer cards for pins, I'm not totally sure I dig all the extra stuff that comes with them. They also have two tiny 8x10 felt pin boards stylized to look like video game inventory screens for you to pin them to. My collection's way beyond that but I figured it's worth mentioning.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That's also a nice Sesshoumaru pin! (Yes, I am an old school Rumiko Takahashi dork, anybody else currently reading Mao?).

I've got nothing against Fangamer, they make great video game pins, I own a poo poo ton of them. I'm just in a quandary as to whether I need to hang on to all the cards and packaging from my pins. What do you guys do with it all?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Cloks posted:

hell yeah, i just read mermaid saga and ranma 1/2 was my introduction to manga

Awesome! It feels like nobody really talks about her stuff since Inuyasha ended, granted I thought Rin-ne sucked. I haven't ventured into ADTRW in years but I doubt there's a thread there for geeking out about her work.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Depending on what comes with a pin:

- backing cards either become bookmarks or get recycled. I keep the ones with cool art.
- packaging gets recycled or reused to send out pins
- prints / stickers go into their respect storage bins and used / held onto

Some good food for thought here. I keep eyeing up the figpin cases because they take up so much room. Perhaps I'll keep only the cases to the unusual and rare ones? Pretty sure no one cares about glitter sonic and the common dbz characters, versus spyro the dragon, the designer con mascot, and con exclusive orange dress hello kitty. I've already ruined much of their value by taking them out of the cases anyways.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Alder posted:

I actually completed Inuyasha a few decades later and yeah I feel like the endings felt way more disappointing me to now than before had I read it as a kid.

Her latest series Mao is just OK...the FeMC does fight a little and her art still is very retro but still reliable. I feel like it's closer to a hobby than a serious attempt at a popular series from her.

She remixed her cliches just enough to keep me interested in the mystery of who did what in Mao, I'm full on trying to "solve" it before the characters do. The female lead may be technically more active in fights, but she's still pretty sidelined and almost irrelevant plot wise and is doing the wish washy poo poo again of not revealing info/speaking her mind because she's too proper and doesn't want to rock the boat of the main character. Kagome did that poo poo whenever Kikyo showed up and it was annoying there too.

Probably should make a Takahashi appreciation station thread over in the anime subforum because boy do I have mixed feelings about the upcoming Urusei Yatsura anime remake too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Those are all great suggestions! However I already have too many dedicated bookmarks lol. I did recycle all the fancy packages and display cases for the figpins last week and feel so much better about it. I kept like seven that match the expensive and limited edition ones.

The next largest group is the raft of fangamer backing cards. They're nice but dont inspire me collage wise so they may hit the bin too.

Fake edit: Actually the pokemon pins are the largest group but idk if it's worth keeping any outside the ones for the championship pins. I dislike the new design for the card anyways, too utilitarian for my tastes. And they're huge like 5 x 7 ish, takes up quite a bit of space.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I now have a cute cupcake doggo pin after not buying any for months. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Have you ever stretched your own canvas? I did that for my pins by stretching a layer of batting on then a pretty fabric over it. Finished it by screwing in some eyelets and stringing hanging wire across. On the upside with this you can make any size you want, including standard frame sizes, but the down side is that the outside 1.5 inches are unusable for tack pins as the stretcher bars get in the way of the backs/points.