Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008

Hi everyone! I am an automation engineer, in eastern europe, and have the great job of reviving all the garbage that western europe sends our way. I’m talking about machines with step5, eberle pls, pilz pssu 3k and other ancient hardware that nobody wants anymore. I was lucky enough to work with new machines that run on Twincat 3 and all I learned is that this beautiful world of control engineering is nothing but garbage. Everything new is either overly complicated and needs 20 different licenses to do one thing and all the old stuff has 0 support.

A special shout out to beckhoff’s terrible hardware thats built to last 2 months tops.

PS: Thank you siemens for selling us an ipc that runs wincc rt on a loving cpu that seems to be from 2008 (i think it has a celeron in it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008

We just received these brand new 2020 case-packers that are so incredibly over-engineered its amazing! I complain a lot about the old stuff but at least they kept it somewhat simple, now you need a PhD or something to diagnose these goddamn things. I literally can't even imagine where you would add another servo-motor inside of these, there's like 40 of them in a machine that just makes a box and puts a bunch of pouches in it. I can't wait for the slightest mechanical issue to completely grind the machine to a halt and be really annoying to diagnose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J1yflDMTBw

wipe up or ship out fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 3, 2021

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008

dervinosdoom posted:

Are the casepackers all AB? The HMI there is a panelview 7 plus 1500 brandless (roughly $5000, yes $5000) If they used all AB, probably compactlogix 5480 and kinetix 5500 or 5700 drives with AB servo motors.

They’re all equipped with one Schneider PacDrive control unit with a whole bunch of those stupid servos with the driver mounted on the back of the motor (ugh). Its a big stupid sercos network thats going to be annoying once we get any issues with the communication between them.

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008

Great now I'm stuck with a machine with an IPC, I/O modules and Servo-drives that not only communicate on Can Open but also are very old! So I need to find a replacement for the Parker servo-drives from 20 years ago that have a lot of programming inside of them and also need to consider that they need to communicate over Canbus. Everything is terrible!

Now at least I have a job offer to move to Ireland which has me a bit vexed, since I don't know anyone there, it's a lovely rainy island and it's still a maintenance job which I think has to be some form of satanic influence on this world.

wipe up or ship out fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 25, 2021