Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sorry, I work in a manufacturing plant and all of our machines are separate.

"Full-line integration" is a guy walking the length of the line pushing start/stop buttons or plugging/unplugging equipment.

A lot of our control boxes are relay ladder logic, but with actual relays. We have three-and-a-half machines with PLCs in them, though we just got three shiny new (2013) Bosch machines with ethernet-controlled motor drives in them that I can't wait to fondle.

Actually, a bunch of the standalone gear is pretty computerized; the metal detectors, automatic scales, and inkjet printers are really tightly integrated pieces of standalone equipment. They're always working and have straightforward plain-english warning and caution messages, so I don't have any complaints about those things.

Our newest piece of equipment is literally a Raspberry Pi with HDMI touchscreen in a stainless-steel case and a "serial" cord running to the equipment, which has a handful of servos, steppers, and solenoids. It appears to have been banged out by six guys in their basement, and the customer support and service help desk bears this notion out.

I have a vision that will eventually integrate all the equipment capable of being on a network to be on a network so that at least all the clocks are in sync. This may happen sometime after we get an air system that has an oil separator/dryer on it so I don't have to walk to every machine in the plant and drain water out of the water separators (if equipped) or pneumatic cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU