Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I do Ingition development. I hate lack of documentation. When setting up a networked device, put all the important files, and basic information on a shared / networked drive.

Important things are install drivers, pdf manuals , ip address and physical location!

I hate telegraph type communication. Like on netstal machines. I love opcua. So easy,

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Perspective is great for the most part. As long as you don't need the client to access local serial ports. The version we are on doesn't support it. I hope they are working on a fix.

For the clients the only issue is resizing. Some people still have the old square lcds, some have new hd wide screens. While the web browser does auto adjust somethings. Some objects don't shrink or grow correctly. Which is easily solved by having the same monitor type. ( We have some departments that refuse to replace any thing that isn't broke. I just finished a crusade to purge the last XP computers)

The real issue is the perspective designer. Lol .
The designer object trees collapse a lot, and you have to make sure your custom variables / attributes are marked as persistent. It's annoying, but still beats java updates or using the client launcher

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I wish they would include me in the new machine purchase conversation. It's not until after the machine is delivered that they have the idea that they want to view the mes data. When I ask things like is this machine networked, opcua? I get blank stares.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'm curious how other places work.

Is it normal to get stuck with project from entirely different departments, just because you are the only scada programmer in your plant? Ex engineer from department XYZ designs a super cool and useful water filter monitor. Said engineer later quits. Now it's suddenly my responsibility to fix it. But since not my department, I have no money to fix or repair it. Actually I couldn't as there is no documentation on where these are or what type of device it is outside of the PLC type. Which I got from the Ignition server.