Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

Problem description: My brother's boss gave him a 2001ish MAME cabinet, and now it's in my hands. It's obviously been sitting a while, and at one point the tower was separated from the cabinet, so here I am trying to wire it back up and get it to work. It's quite a Frankenstein mess.

Right now, when I hit the power switch, the fans turn on and everything spins up, the CRT moniter gives me the VGA BIOS screen for the GeForce card, then the system shuts off. Can't get it to display anything beyond that one screen.

I have another tower to put into the cabinet with an i5, but I'm kinda curious as to what's on this old system and how they had it set up.

Attempted fixes: I've taken everything off the power supply except the tower (they're using the PSU to run the cabinet fans and lights etc), reseated the RAM and GPU, tried to boot without the graphics card (motherboard gave me 6 beeps), tried to boot without the PATA hard drive, without the battery, tried to reset CMOS. Have read up on this old mobo and it seems they die with bad caps but since I'm getting a VGA BIOS screen it might be good? I'm kinda stumped, my next move is to replace the mobo battery and see what happens.

Recent changes: Never seen it booted up so not sure.

--

Operating system: Windows, gonna guess XP? Haven't gotten it to boot yet.

System specs: k7s5a motherboard, AMD athalon xp 1800+, mx4000 graphics card, old PATA hdd, 350w PSU, 8gb DDR RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The ECS K7S5A will in my experience boot but once it actually needs to send power fail; this is a weird power delivery side effect of it's dual RAM system as it doesn't send power to both at the same time. It sounds like it's cooked.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

The ECS K7S5A will in my experience boot but once it actually needs to send power fail; this is a weird power delivery side effect of it's dual RAM system as it doesn't send power to both at the same time. It sounds like it's cooked.

Thanks for the reply! I figured someone from the forums would know about that old motherboard. I think it's dead too, it seemed to have a ton of problems in 2003 so I doubt age has been kind to it. Just for kicks I'm gonna replace the board with a tested one from ebay. Kinda fun to play with this old stuff, ngl.

I hooked up the i5 to the cabinet and the Kortek CRT moniter really didn't like the modern resolution and refresh rate, I couldn't get an image without creating a custom 800x600 50khz resolution - so I went digging around and found an old Vista tower also from my brother with an 8800GTX in it! Like striking gold. Gonna hook that one into the cabinet and see what happens.