Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Back toward the beginning of the Nowtimes, I was looking to scratch my levergun itch, and naturally, I looked hard at Henry. Sure, they cost more than Rossi, but not as much as some other brands, and they generally look great and get great reviews. But, while I liked the idea of the rounds ejecting on the side, there was no loading gate on most of the models. You had to load the magazine tube through a cartridge-shaped hole after pulling out a brass tube follower rod thing. For .357 or .44 magnum, that didn't sound like what I was looking for. In the end, I went with Rossi, and I love my 44 mag rifle. Side loading gates are nice.

So this past Saturday, my wife brought her M&P-15 to the shop so they could install a red dot since they have a laser bullet thing that makes initial alignment really easy. And I spotted a couple of Henry's on the rack. No, not not two ohms divided by one Hertz--I know you were thinking that--but a couple of rifles. One was in 30-30, and the other was a pump action in Twenty-Twos Short, Long, and Long Rifle. I have spotted a few older (borderline antique) pump-action 22's in some Fuddly shops I have been to, but I didn't know there was a new production model out there.

We went home. I thought about it. We went back. I gave them money and filled out paperwork. I waited 72 hours. And NICS took exactly that long to do their thing.

I picked it up today:

I happen to think it's really nice looking. A little plain, perhaps--no checkering--but I like how clean and classic it looks. The pictures don't do the wood justice.

It comes with the usual gun stuff. Less than Ruger would give you, but it's enough for me. No lock, interestingly, unless I just haven't found it yet. I like how they put all the calibers right there on the barrel, which is an octagon barrel and thus really cool. All of this for less than $500, which is a better deal than I found at some online shops:

Below is where the magic happens. I did run some rounds through this--some CCI Mini-Mags and CCI 22 Short CB's. Not a whole lot, but I did want to at least get a few pews in.

Below is where the magic is loaded. This bothered me when I was considering larger calibers, but for 22, who cares? I even mixed LR's and S's on the last run today, and it works flawlessly. Also, the rod being brass is a nice touch:

The sight picture, below, isn't much to write home about, but it works. My Rugers (10/22 and RAR--hey, do they make anything that isn't a 22?) have similar open rear sights, but these are better. The notch seems to be the perfect size for the front brass bead. I'll almost certainly shoot this with the stock sights exclusively. The only thing I could imagine doing is putting on a good rear peep sight--something better (read: more old-fashioned) than a Tech Sight.

Edit: This has a 3/8ths dovetail machined into the receiver, so I could mount a scope if I wanted to. But I don't think I want to.

I shot a magazine or two of Long Rifle, a magazine of Short, and a magazine alternating the two. Everything ran fine. This is my first pump-action anything, so there was a tiny bit of a learning curve--you can get bolt bite if you have your trigger hand in the wrong spot; this is impossible on a lever-action for obvious reasons, but it's something to keep in mind here. Also, I learned the function of the little "grooved release button" and how to put this gun into what it considers "safe" mode. Don't know if I'd trust that safety, but then again, I generally don't trust them at all anyway, so... meh.

The action is really smooth and crisp, and the draw... pull... whatever, the distance you have to move the forearm to cycle the action; I'm sure there's a name for that... it's fairly short. Which makes sense, since these are little bitty cartridges. Once I started shooting, though, the entire motion felt intuitive. A guy came in with his wife, saw what I had, and said, "That's fuckin' awesome! Where'd you get that?"

There's a trap competition at my rifle range this weekend, so I probably won't go out there. But, with this little 22, I wouldn't mind wasting a little ammo and time at the indoor pistol range.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Congrats!

I have a few Henry's and the pump is one of them. Shorts are ridiculously fun.

If you're looking for a good peep sight, Skinner Sights makes some nice ones for Henry rimfires.

thr33n0r
Nov 18, 2006
www.theowla.com

My Henrys are my favorite rifles by far. I have the youth model .22 lever and the .22 mag small game carbine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Iv'e never owned one of those, but I had a buddy in college who had a similar pump .22. They're just fun on a bun. I have a lot of fond memories of sitting in a lawn chair at the edge of a clearing in some woods with him, passing the rifle back and forth and taking pot shots at random poo poo until we'd eaten through a bulk box of thunderbolt or some other equally awful .22LR. Throwing a tennis ball out and chasing it around never, ever got old.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Every time I see these things I want one.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Iíve always wanted a Henry lever action, Iíve heard great things about the pump rifles but the lever actions just have that little additional cool factor IMO.

Now that I have kids, Iíll probably end up using them as an excuse to get one. Itíll probably be 4-5 years before that happens though (first one is 3.5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

smax posted:

Iíve always wanted a Henry lever action, Iíve heard great things about the pump rifles but the lever actions just have that little additional cool factor IMO.

Now that I have kids, Iíll probably end up using them as an excuse to get one. Itíll probably be 4-5 years before that happens though (first one is 3.5).

They're both great rifles and you can't go wrong with either for the price.

I have a few lever actions, including a factory tuned 1873 and a gunsmith tuned 1892, and my Goldenboy has the smoothest action by far.