Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Switch thread has suffered enough.

This is the thread for arguing about whether weapon durability in Breath of the Wild is good or bad. If you argue about that anywhere else you'll be told to post about it here instead.

Moderators reserve the right to randomly 6er anyone who posts in this thread because their posting weapon broke. By posting in this thread you forfeit the right to get mad about joke 6ers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hatty posted:

It’s good, all weapons are disposable. Just throw them and pick up new ones it’s fine.

:hmmyes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

but they didnt do that in BOTW because theres no way to repair any weapons. Every weapon, with a few exceptions, is meant to be broken and easily replaced. Almost every enemy drops new weapons when defeated so running out of swords should never be a concern outside of the early-game or specific challenges. Instead of forcing the player to go back to town to repair their favorite gear, they instead are pushed to explore new areas and look for chests that will hopefully contain new weapons.

I think this is key to the whole thing. I have my issues with the durability system, but I think what made it work at all was that you couldn't repair weapons. If you could, I think it would very quickly turn into a chore where you feel compelled to go to a town or checkpoint of some sort to repair your good stuff on a regular basis.

Instead, they're fully disposable. They're ammunition. You use them, they break, you pick up something else.

The biggest issues come from the general lack of weapon variety, so the system doesn't shine as much as it should, and inflated endgame enemy health pushing you really hard to stock up on high-damage weapons instead of just using bombs and whatever weapons you can find. The core idea of the system, though, is I think worth iterating on, and it's a balance issue more than anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Weapon durability in any game doesn't add anything to the gameplay other than the tedium of Yet Another Resource To Manage.

It doesn't make things more difficult, it makes things more annoying, thus, it shouldn't be in games

I would argue resource management, as a general statement, is a perfectly valid difficulty lever. It does, in fact, make things more difficult if your strongest weapons are also a sharply limited resource.

I think BotW doesn't really use the system the way it could--greater weapon variety and less enemy health inflation would go a long way towards making improvisation more fun and more viable--but I think that is a balance issue more than anything and could be solved in a sequel without removing the durability system.

The greatest mistake would be making weapons repairable, because that would change them from an expendable resource into a thing to be maintained.

External Organs posted:

When they break you should've been able to take the chunks, throw them into the cooking pot with other ingredients and make real weird poo poo.

This would be fun