Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Benjamin Wade
(D-Vault City)

Fellow Senators, we've all said our piece, and we now have some fine bills on the table before us. I move to begin a vote on these drat things before they blow away in the wind.

enough talk! get out the vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

(OOC: okay so, how do we vote?)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

The Hub moves to call the question beginning with the New California Highway Act. Is there a second?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Siegkrow posted:

(OOC: okay so, how do we vote?)

(I'll put up a list of bills proposed and you post yea or nay to each one)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Protect our Citizens Act
San-Francisco Handshake Initiative
San-Francisco Handshake Initiative (Amended, Wade)
Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (REV II)
Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (Amended, O’Sullivan)
New California Highway Act
Minimum Required Education Act
Patrol Act

Begin voting!

Mycroft Holmes fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 22, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

(Wait, I only wanted to amend the Plowshare initiative, not the SHI)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

(Wait, I only wanted to amend the Plowshare initiative, not the SHI)

Fixed

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

OOC: Oh yeah, my Patrol Act is missing, although you can put it as an amendment to Reynolds' bill.

John O'Sullivan
[R-Sac-Town]

YEA

quote:

Protect our Citizens Act
New California Highway Act (And Patrol Act)

As you all know, I was elected on a defense platform. It is for that reason that I am voting in all of these acts in order to increase the readiness of our Republic in protecting its citizens from the many dangers of the Wasteland, and ensure their right to live without fearing being enslaved by raiders or eaten by a gigantic scorpion. For this reason I am willing to support Senator Santiago's other provisions on his bill, even though I have my ideological differences with his party.

quote:

The children of the republic are its future, and in order to ensure that future is peaceful and prosperous, and to make them more patriotic and productive ones, I believe that a measure of basic education is necessary. I support this act, and will ensure that the curriculum taught to our children will ensure that they will become a trustworthy future generation of citizens that will lead this country into the right path.

NAY

quote:

The inscrutable Shi still keep many of their practices secret, and it's far too early to know what exactly are their objectives. Perhaps in the future, but they are still not worthy of our trust.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Thomas "Green Man" Wayne.
(R-Broken Hills)
YEA

quote:

quote:

Since I was the one who proposed the Minimum Required Education act, I cannot in good conscience vote for it, but I will vote for the Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (REV II), as it does everything my own bill proposed and MORE!

Edit: vote fix

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 22, 2021

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
OOC: the old SF Handshake Initiative from my first post was retracted and superseded by the amended version. full post incoming

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 23, 2021

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Benjamin Wade
(D-Vault City)

YEA

quote:

Patrol Act
To be blunt, my esteemed colleagues: I didn't expect much from this meeting, except a lot of arguing with nothing to show. How goddamn delightful it is to be wrong! It is my honor to lend my John Hancock to the collected efforts of Ranger Santiago, Governor Reynolds, and Senator O'Sullivan.

ABSTAIN

quote:

Protect Our Citizens Act
San Francisco Handshake Initiative (Amended, Wade)

Like Senator Wayne, I won't vote for my own bill, partly as a matter of decorum, and partly because -- also like Senator Wayne -- my bill is redundant with another proposal, in this case Governor Reynolds' Highway Act. San Francisco is close to Fort Mariposa and Sac-Town; it'll just be more practical to talk to the Shi before we start paving the road.
As for Senator Worthington, I'm confident a well-apportioned Highway Patrol at our borders will be more effective than giving an ultimatum to thugs in power armor. Out of deference to my colleague, and since I did offer to support his bill previously, I will not oppose the Protect Our Citizens Act either.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 24, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Jesse "Shot Tower" Santiago
S - New Reno

Yea
Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (REV II) - I apologize for any hubris inherent, but I sincerely think I've found a way to make almost everyone happy and do it for relatively low expense. I'd like to think it doesn't get better than that.

New California Highway Act - I find myself against clause 1b, but that can be discussed at a later date. We need our roads cleared of centuries-old wrecks and debris and this has my full support.

San-Francisco Handshake Initiative - I agree, nothing more to be said

Abstain

Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (Amended, O’Sullivan) - Representative O'Sullivan's recommendation has been incorporated and expanded upon into the SaPRA- Rev II.

Minimum Required Education Act - I specifically wish the record to show that while I am in favor of this bill, its requirements have been incorporated and expanded upon into the SaPRA- Rev II.

NAY

Patrol Act - Let the record show that while I agree with the concept, the details leave much out. The patrol is not explicitly defined as either a military or civilian organization, and without such a specific definition permanent boots on the ground inside the borders of the NCR looking for trouble are close enough to martial law that I am too uncomfortable with endorsing it as-is. A later revision, focusing more upon the patrolling, and emergency services, and reporting military threats to garrisons and units would have my endorsement. Pending successful completion of the ground vehicle program specified in the SaPRA- Rev II, a new patrol unit might be the ideal place for such a vehicle to be used.

Again, I am for the essence of the bill, and would vote for it should language be clarified more in a more satisfactory manner, but we must be extremely careful not to introduce a paramilitary force, beholden neither to civilian or military command, inside our borders.

Protect our Citizens Act - While the situation may very well come to war, I do not believe the time is now, especially if we're in the middle of reforming our military. You'll save a lot of lives if you don't order our boys and girls to try to engage Tb-51 battle armor with medium caliber service rifle rounds.

San-Francisco Handshake Initiative (Amended, Wade) - The original act was fine, and would have my vote, but again, the time to declare war against the BoS, if it comes, is not now.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 23, 2021

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

Here are my votes. Once this round of voting is over we will see if we will have a coherent foreign policy, or if we won't.

YEA

Protect our Citizens Act
New California Highway Patrol Act

NAY

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
R-The Hub

AYE
Patrol Act
Protect our Citizens Act

While I would have preferred something to get kids off the streets in Adytum or Junktown, I am willing to concede that a pilot program in a smaller town will require the Republic to expend fewer resources setting it up than it would for major cities. But keep in mind that this body will be making regular checks on the progress of your program.

NAY
[/b]

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nathan "Flint-Eyes" Harriman (S-Boneyard)

Apologies for my delayed arrival, gentlemen. My caravan was attacked just outside of Junktown, and we were forced to wait several days for repairs. If nothing else, though, the incident goes to show just how much work we have to do in protecting the people and roads of this Republic—and why I'll be voting Yes for the Highway Patrol Act and the Highway Act.

Of course, it's no wonder why we were ambushed. Too many young kids grow up in ruined cities or irradiated wastelands with no hope for the future, and no family to teach them right from wrong. Is it any wonder why there are so many raiders in our territory, when our youth have nothing to live for? The Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act REV II, if nothing else, offers an opportunity to those who would otherwise have nothing. It offers hope, and that's why I'm voting Yes.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about the Protect Our Citizens Act and the San-Francisco Handshake Initiative (As amended). I'm fully aware of the need to 'protect our citizens,' and I don't like the Brotherhood of Steel as much as anyone else in this room. They're hording technology that could be of much-needed use in rebuilding our shattered cities and poisoned land—but war should be our last resort, not our first. Until you've convinced me there's no other choice, I am a firm No vote on any legislation that threatens to escalate tensions with the Brotherhood, and that's final.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 24, 2021

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The following acts pass:

Protect our Citizens Act
Patrol Act

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Protect our Citizens Act:This act ratchets up tensions with the Brotherhood of Steel. Armed standoffs become more common, with several firefights seeing heavy NCR losses for few BoS losses. The BoS ambassador protests most strongly, but previous BoS incursions have drained what sympathy there is. On the other hand, expeditions to fight against the Great Khans go better.The NCR military may lack heavy weapons, but just having enough ammunition and medical supplies turns the tide of the campaign. The Great Khans are driven further and further from the frontiers, even as those in turn expand.

Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (REV II): The founding of the first non-Followers of the Apocalypse university/school is met with great acclaim. Most of the initial crop of professors and teachers are Followers of the Apocalypse, but this should even out as more classes graduate. This is seen as a step away from the current apprenticeship system, which sees some protests from certain organizations, such as the Gun Runners.

The military research facility is established and already sees some success. Plans for new firearms are designed and the Gun Runners contacted to produce them. Mostly these are known pre-war weapons, often redesigned to be used by non-power armor users. For example, miniguns mounted on tripods or wheeled mounts, .50 cals rebuilt for conventional use, etc. It will be some time before they become general issue, but already, NCR Rangers are using them to great effect. Ever see a bazooka hit a deathclaw?

The vehicle program sees more setbacks. There simply isn’t enough uranium to provide for something like pre-war car culture. Limited military use is possible, but it is more efficient to simply design more efficient reactors and use uranium to power them for electricity. Ethanol seems promising, but current extraction is not efficient enough. The arguments go on.

Similarly, fuel proves to be the stumbling block for aircraft development. Ethanol powered biplanes are created, but prove finicky and fall into the same efficiency trap. Defectors from the BoS and pre-war ghouls prove helpful to the power armor program, with a stripped down civilian version being created and seeing limited deployment in Broken Hills mines as a test. Robust military models are some time away, given our lack of understanding of advanced pre-war tech.

New California Highway Act: The clearing of highways and recycling of junked cars goes well, though NCR military patrols are required to keep the more dangerous wildlife off the workers. Rebuilding bridges and repairing roads takes more time, and the main highway won’t be repaired to pre-war standards for at least another year.

Patrol Act: The formation of a State Patrol goes well. Basing itself on pre-war state patrols, albeit more heavily armed, it sees skirmishes with bandits and hunts of dangerous wildlife. The refurbished motorcycles and bicycles prove handy, and soon the regular military becomes interested, contracting for new-build ethanol models.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Current conditions:

BoS Incursions: The Brotherhood of Steel continues to intervene on our soil and take high technology items from private individuals. Recent legislation has taken a hard line against this, and firefights have become common, with heavy losses.

Infrastructure: While efforts have begun on Highway 395, other vital roads are still clogged and in bad repair.

Raiders: The Great Khans have been pushed back, but other raider groups still threaten the republic.

Water: Clean water is scarce within the NCR, yet vital for agriculture. We should do something about this.

Regulation of business: The Brahmin Barons and Water Merchants continue to lobby for decreased regulation and less government intervention.

Technology: There remain a great many hidden things in the deserts and cities of the wasteland. How should we approach the high technology of the pre-War world?

Education, the economy, foreign relations, trade, etc.: Feel free to weigh in on other topics and request information.

Bills may be proposed and RP may now start.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

John O'Sullivan
[R-Sac-Town]

Esteemed colleagues! It is with great pride that I bring news about our recent victories against the Khans. No longer will these mustache-wearing barbarians threaten our citizens on the border regions, and the number of cases of deaths by dangerous wildlife are already beginning to diminish. Unfortunately, however, we seem to lack such good results when dealing with the madmen in armor from the Brotherhood! It proves that an actual war against them might turn into a terrible fight of attrition, and our troops are not yet equipped well enough to deal with them. Our current efforts to refit them with heavier weapons also seems to have hit a snag, with barely enough vehicles to fully motorize our army, not to mention civilian use.

Therefore, in order to further our military research program and ensure advantage against any technologically advanced armor, I therefore submit the proposal of a Reclamation Bounty Bill to be voted and implemented in order to encourage the entrepreneurial spirit of our citizens and deny heavy tech from the hands of hostiles.

quote:

Reclamation Bounty Bill
1) The New California Republic, after the passing of this bill, will reward, in a quantity of dollars to be agreed upon, the reclamation and retrieval of advanced pre-war technological artifacts, including, but not restricted to, vehicles, machine parts, weapons and utilities.
1a) The amount of money will yet to be agreed by the secretary of treasury, but will be tiered in accordance with the importance, reliability and state of the recovered artifact.
1b) Recovered artifacts with military use will be sent to the Green Zone in order to be studied and possibly replicated by our researchers.

I am aware some would prefer to use our own troops or to hire people specifically for this purpose alone, but I believe the bounty system might actually be a cheaper option in the long run than maintaining a full time agency for it or diverting our troops from their vital task of patrolling the wasteland.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

First of all let me thank the senate for their support, and allowing the NCR to take a strong stance on foreign policy. Though the fighting against the Brotherhood of Steel has been bloody, our fight against the Great Khans is already paying dividends. And I am confident that as long as we keep taking measures to support and improve our military, it's only a matter of time before the fight against the BoS starts to look like the fight against the Khans. Let's see how strong those steel cans look when they're up against our new 50 cals and bazookas!

Anyway, I would like to call attention the matter of food and water. As you all know, water is pretty drat scare around here these days. I don't think I need to explain to you all how important water is, but I will remind everybody that having more water means having more food as well. And food and water, these two things are the basic goddamn foundation to having a healthy country. So, let's do something about it.

I propose the Food And Water Act:

quote:

Food And Water Act

To secure the supply of Food and Water, and to ensure the growth and overall health of our Nation, this bill proposes:

1. That all Food and Water products shall be exempt from all sales taxes and tariffs.

2. All farmers and ranchers shall be granted a "water deduction" on their income taxes, which will allow them to subtract the yearly cost of water irrigation on their properties (or in other words, to "write-off" the cost of water) from their taxable income.

3. A government committee will be created which shall review and re-write current regulations on the Food and Water Industries with the goal of lessing burdens on said industries and creating a more "business-friendly" environment within the NCR. Once these regulations have been reviewed and re-written, they shall be immediately take effect unless vetoed by the President of the NCR.

4. To promote the use of more efficient, large-scale farms, the current limits on the size of farms and ranches shall be abolished. (This clause has been stricken from the proposal)

Takanago fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 24, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Here here, Worthington! I say if the Brotherhood doesn't like that we're raising our preparedness, they should quit crossing the border! Don't like getting shot at, Maxson? Stop giving us reason to.

But as for this new bill, I have got to say... I have problems with this fourth part. Those are very sensible regulations that keep farms from getting past the size that irrigation projects and water caravans can service them. What good's more land if we don't have the irrigation in place to service them, right? And we've only got so many caravans to make up the difference. Until we've expanded our water sources, we have to recognize our limits.

Let's not put the cart before the horse here. The first thing we should be doing is expanding excavation for aquifers! The Hub proposes the following:

quote:

Aquifer Exploration Act

1. The Office of Science and Technology will partner with mining teams from Redding and Broken Hills to seek underground water sources along the Sierra Madres. These prospecting teams, when successful, will be paid a finders' fee by the Republic.

2. When found, these water sources will be auctioned by blind bid from any caravan companies with sufficient capacity to transport water to NCR farms and ranches.

3. Under NO circumstances will water found in this method be exported to other states.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

In opinion we should let the farmers and ranchers out there decide how big their farms should be, not some government bureaucrat. Ranchers and farmers aren't dumb people, Walt, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out how much land you can take care of! And plus, if somebody does happen to bite off more than they can chew, you know what's gonna happen? They're going to go out of business! Then other people will buy up the land at auction and it all balances out again. The free market at work!

I don't want to try to explain to you how water works just like I wouldn't want you to explain to me how beef works, but surely you see how much the water merchants and farmers out there want the rules changed! They want the government to stay out of their business! Speaking as a brahmin man to a water man, shouldn't we listen to them? I would of course have no problem supporting your bill in addition to my own.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 24, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

John O'Sullivan
[R-Sac-Town]

I have to agree with Governor Reynolds there, Senator Worthington. This isn't a matter of government intrusion, but rather of protecting the small scale farmer, the true salt of the earth who sustains our very own society there. Even with our borders expanding as they are, there's the risk that this important segment of our country might be unable to find arable land if we let the big fish scoop them all first. How about we drop that last part, and then you'll have my full support on that bill?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

If I can find no support from Mr. Reynolds or Mr. O'Sullivan, then I suppose I have no choice but to compromise, for now. If there is one thing I believe, it is that allowing our farms and ranches to centralize efficiently is imperative for promoting the future economic growth of our nation. Ask any expert on ranching or farming out there, large farms are much more efficient than small ones. There's a thing called Economy of Scale, and it's effects can be drat huge. It's the very thing that makes the NCR able to do what it can do.

Think about it this way, what has a better chance of survival: ten men running around the wasteland on their own, each of them living on whatever scraps they can forage with their own two hands, or ten men working together? There's things you can do if you work together that you simply can't do by yourself. Farms and ranches work the same way.

That said, I'm not stubborn to the point where I'll let the issue sink all the other good things that bill does. I amend the Food and Water Act to remove Clause 4.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

I assure you, I am wholly on board with that as a final goal. If our aquifer drilling project is successful, surely we can revisit this question in the future. We'll just need to wait until the time is right and then our irrigation projects will unleash a whole new wave of expansion for the Republic.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

S - New Reno

*Santiago takes his seat. Notably, he has a large, framed, high quality glossy photo. Its a 1 by 2 foot landscape of a Ranger unit smiling and standing around a puddle of...stuff. It's hard to tell what most of it is but the deathclaw head front and center and the rocket launcher slung over the back of one of the rangers indicates what happened. Below is written "Thanks for the new toys Captain, wish you were here!"*

Santiago has made a few copies to pass around to interested parties and has saved one particularly for Rep. Harriman when he arrives. (OOC: Not sure if Harriman's past incident with the deathclaw is public knowledge, but either way, Santiago figured he'd enjoy seeing Gun Runner products in action.)

Adventurers have their uses, plus I'd rather they sell their findings to us rather than some warlord. Whenever we got news of a new vault or cache being opened everyone was on edge because that's usually when a rando raider would open fire on you with laser weaponry. Not fun. I therefore I endorse the Reclamation Bounty Bill

I fully support the Governor's Aquifer Exploration Act as well as the amended Food and Water Act

Governor Reynolds, when you have time I would like to speak with you about making the next branch of the University of the New California Republic be the Hub. Yes, that would include the child schooling plan. I'm not sure what special needs the Hub has that might make it differ from Broken Hills, and how you would like to fund it, let's hammer those details out.

I do not wish to flood this session, but I have several items on the plate today; to start off with, New Reno has some of the largest distilleries, and best cooks and chemists in the Republic. Let's put them to use for something less seedy. Everyone here, me most of all, would like stories of something besides vice coming out of there. We need fuel for our vehicles or else we're gonna be riding and walking across the vast expanse of this Republic.

And to our very own Baron and others who may be worried about brahmin pulled caravans becoming obsolete and their price dropping, not so! These fuels, biodiesel especially, have animal fat and material as a precursor chemical. One can also use dung as a component in many fuels and chemicals. Imagine loading them up into a vehicle, driving them to market, and getting paid even faster than having them pull for you. Plus, the Bishop family has graciously offered to pick up the tab on much of the construction in exchange for recognition for their patriotism. This is literally turning crap into cash!

quote:

The Double Bear Chemical and Refining Corporation Act

1) A State Owned corporation shall be founded under the title “The Double Bear Chemical and Refining Corporation” in the jurisdiction of New Reno.

1a) The purpose of the corporation is the mass production of the following, in order of how the facilities should be constructed and production began from first to last in the following phases:
1a1) Ethanol, biodiesel, and other chemical fuels, suitable for generators and engines.
1a2) Road tar for asphalt and synthetic rubber or rubber equivalents for vehicle tires
1a3) Medical precursors, such as stimpack ingredients, and other drugs
1a4) Other chemicals and products as the Corporation and Republic requires.

1b) The land should be acquired with donations first, voluntary sales second, and eminent domain as a last resort. Should New Reno require additional funding to improve its infrastructure for the Corporation to function, the Republic is authorized to grant additional funding in the form of bonds, grants, or earmarked funds from the Federal Budget. If the Corporation is to sell shares in itself, the New California Republic must maintain a controlling majority of at least 51% of all shares.

1c) Private and public sales of products and services to individuals, groups, and local governments are permitted with the goal of balancing the factory's budget, and improving, maintaining, and expanding its facilities. The Republic will always be the preferred buyer, with its orders preceding all others.

1d) The Corporation shall take care to avoid contaminating the local water table and agricultural areas, and shall be physically located downwind of the town from prevailing winds. The Corporation shall at all times retain the services, as an employee or a contractor, of at least one environmental expert with the equivalent of a Doctorate in the relevant field per Followers of the Apocalypse Educational Standards, and shall employ them to prevent, and clean up, any spills or other industrial accidents that might arise.

1e) The Corporation shall install, maintain, and train employees in the usage of firefighting and emergency spill containment equipment and techniques.

1f) The Corporation shall publish their accounting books annually, with copies delivered to this legislative body, the Dept of the Treasurer, and the Followers of the Apocalypse archive in the Capitol. The Dept of the Treasurer is authorized to conduct audits as needed.

1g) The Corporation shall construct and maintain an industrial pumping station, with the intention of refueling large containers from caravans, and pipelines across the NCR in the future.

1h) The Corporation shall dispose of all waste, chemical and otherwise, in a safe manner, and is permitted the purchase of one or more secure dumping sites away from any waterways, rivers, or creeks, as well as away from the town and water table of New Reno. Remote wasteland should not be expensive, but if relevant, the land for this dumping site(s) should be acquired per 1b.

Gentlemen, this act is necessary to continue building this nation into an industrial state, and vital for its ability to wage war. As important as foraging and rediscovering the resources of the Old World, we must build new things, and that gets a lot easier when we can drive there to do it, whether its to battle or to market.

quote:

New California Highway Act - Expansion 1

1a) Per the standards of the New California Highway Act, a route shall be cleared and built between the jurisdictions of Broken Hills and New Reno for the purposes of securing a safe route for fuel, trade, services, and so forth.

1b) The construction and clearing shall clear a way for, but not begin construction of, for a future pipeline suitable for high volume transfer of liquid fuels. This shall run parallel to the above described route when possible.

1c) The Republic is authorized to maintain toll booths on the above route for the next 10 years in order to recoup costs of construction and maintenance. The total cost of tolls shall not be exorbitant enough to seriously discourage traffic.

News about Brotherhood of Steel deserters was great news; If we welcome deserters in (monitored after the fact, obviously), we can bleed our enemies dry without firing a shot!

quote:

The Refugee and Amnesty Act.

1a) Those with open warrants and/or are known criminal and unauthorized private militias, such as but not limited to, The Great Khans, The Brotherhood of Steel, and similar organizations, shall be allowed to surrender to NCR Rangers, local administrative offices, or similar places without harm or detainment.

1b) In exchange for forgiveness of outstanding crimes against the republic, they shall turn in all arms other than personal tools such as utility knives, etc, armor, equipment other than that used and needed for personal survival, and information on their former allies. They shall be paid a fair market rate for all such surrendered equipment. The Rangers and other enforcement agencies such as the Patrol are authorized to use such deserters as scouts, heavily monitored, for the specific purpose of acting upon their former allies and related groups. Those that complete a term of service of at least one year in a manner satisfactory to the commander of their respective Ranger unit shall be offered enlistment in the Rangers.

1c) Those that surrender in such a manner and are not NCR citizens shall be granted resident alien status per the existing laws of the Republic.

1d) The Republic is authorized to offer transport such individuals, if they are willing, to Broken Hills or any similar future facilities, for the purposes of receiving education suitable to being a productive citizen and leaving their criminal ways behind.

1e) Notice of this act shall be publicized both inside the borders, and as far as feasible from the borders of the Republic. The Republic is authorized funds to pay for airtime and printspace on any extant private radio stations, newspapers, or other means of communication for the purpose of broadcasting news of this Act.

1f) This amnesty covers only past offenses. Those that commit, and are convicted of, a felony after accepting amnesty shall receive increased penalties and sentences, per the discretion of the Judge of the case.

Let's get some more paladins ready to hand over their toys for a place in our society! Then there will be less of them we have to shoot ourselves. We might have to get quite a bit of caps if anyone comes in with power armor, but how often do you just get to buy a functioning T-51 from its still living owner? In combination with the Reclamation Bounty Bill, we can have our former enemies start scouring the wasteland for stuff to sell to us, instead of the current vice versa.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 25, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

John O'Sullivan
[R-Sac-Town]

Defiance Industries posted:

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

I assure you, I am wholly on board with that as a final goal. If our aquifer drilling project is successful, surely we can revisit this question in the future. We'll just need to wait until the time is right and then our irrigation projects will unleash a whole new wave of expansion for the Republic.

My thoughts exactly, if urbanization becomes large enough to allow for these large scale farms, or other conditions support it, I would support removing the limits in the future.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

An excerpt from the Golgotha Gazette:

Sensationalist Tabloid posted:

Gunfight at dusk!

our brave lads have engaged a Brotherhood of Steel patrol which has been harassing traveling merchant caravans in the wastes around New Reno.

honest sources have reported that the cowardly knights have refused orders to leave NCR territory and taken to aggravate the Republic troops with such names calling as "You bumbling primitive luddites" and "regressive gently caress heads" before attacking loyal Hans, the dog mascot of said NCR squad.
"I was back in the support vehicle when the shooting started, I ran outside and started throwing grenades. those frags don't do much to armour but eventually all the concentrated fire persuaded the rear end in a top hat tincans to it'd be best to leave" recalled an unnamed soldier who in the opinion of the writing staff deserves a medal for gallantry under fire.
Loyal Hans has been evacuated to safety and expected to make a full recovery.

(Most of the following pages are full of jingoistic opinion pieces separated by weapon and guard services advertising.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
NCR Military base Fort Tandi

"Alright, listen up you apes. We're going to be going over one of the new .50 cals we've been recently supplied with. This baby fires a 360 gr tungsten bullet at 4000 m/s. It's designed to penetrate 19mm of steel. Sustained fire from this will crack open one of those Brotherhood tin cans faster than you can blink. Either mounted on a vehicle or lugged on a tripod, it's a death dealing machine at 600 RPM. Treat it like a lover and it won't let you down!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsuGLHGcuik

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

NCR Military base Fort Tandi

"Alright, listen up you apes. We're going to be going over one of the new .50 cals we've been recently supplied with. This baby fires a 360 gr tungsten bullet at 4000 m/s. It's designed to penetrate 19mm of steel. Sustained fire from this will crack open one of those Brotherhood tin cans faster than you can blink. Either mounted on a vehicle or lugged on a tripod, it's a death dealing machine at 600 RPM. Treat it like a lover and it won't let you down!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsuGLHGcuik

"Does that mean I have to gently caress it sir?"

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Siegkrow posted:

"Does that mean I have to gently caress it sir?"

"Worrell, you put your loving dick near that gun and I will see to it that you dig latrines the rest of your time in this army, got it?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Warren Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Congressman Santiago, your chemical plant idea is intriguing and will definitely help with future highway expansions. I also think it will help clean up New Reno, like you said. But I have some questions about perpetual government ownership.

I am well aware it will be necessary for the Republic to put its arms under the plant and lift so it can get on its feet. There's only one group in New Reno that has the capital to start a project like this otherwise, and you'll excuse me if I say I'd rather not have the Reno Families controlling our fuel supply. But once the project is established and profitable, and the immediate needs of the government are supplied, wouldn't it be better to open the fuel industry up to competition from the private sector? Nobody else is ever going to be able to break into the industry if the biggest buyer, us, has a supplier that sells fuel to every branch of the NCR government at cost.

I would like to propose that section 1b of the bill be amended to read

quote:

The New California Republic will maintain a controlling majority of at least 51% of all shares of the company until such time as the project has proven profitable for three years.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jesse Santiago
S- New Reno

Governor, I can understand the concern, but such vital infrastructure, is, in the end ultimately a part of the government's ability to wage war and function effectively. It'd be like privatizing our armories. The government must maintain some level of control over the production of essential goods. I have no opposition to private companies building a similar facility to the refinery so long as care is taken not to poison the fields or the water, but some level of production capacity must be under the Republic's direct command in case the long term needs of the Republic are at the time, diverting from the current needs of the market. I realize this makes it hard for private interests to compete in such a market, but it widely expands the business opportunities for private businesses that USE fuel and chemicals to thrive. With a guaranteed fuel supply, an entire eco-system of business possibilities, vehicles servicing, producing refined medicines from our precursor chemicals, and so forth, opens up.

I see value in doing your "start, raise up, cut loose" plan for a host of smaller businesses. We should do that, for example, for the water merchants or brahmin drivers, when the vehicle and fuel production becomes stable enough, we should *absolutely* subsidize them, and other caravan owners, being able to aquire enough powered vehicles for at least a partial replacement of brahmin drawn carts. The 'eco-system' of businesses that would grow from the chemical plant's production should be encouraged, subsidized, and turned over to private hands (ideally with some production of essentials, such as a portion of refined medical good manufacturing, remaining in Republic ownership).

Long term, I see stocks in government owned business to be similar to bonds in they're valued as steady, moderately profitable investments while private industries would be free to have more volatile, but potentially higher returns. Having at least part of the speculative economy backed by government assurances would provide stability to the economy as a whole, just as the government policing the roads and providing a military provides physical stability.

Things like the university, the chemical plant, and other backbone institutions provide the *context*, the "skeleton" as it were, around all those businesses grow. Those businessmen know that ethanol or biodiesel will always be available, and with that stability in mind, run their businesses accordingly. Stability boosts trade and trade draws the nation together.

If the Reno families controlling it is an issue, I'd say it'd be even more important for the NCR to retain majority control so you know, you, the Executive, the courts, and the rest of this legislative body could keep them in check and have a legal basis to tell them "no". Should sales in all the shares be opened to private buyers, who do you think is in a position to snap them up?

Our voting table is somewhat full, and I am hesitant to personally add even more bills at the moment. So if this body votes for the creation of the plant, then next session I am open to legislation defining how the Republic should subsidize emerging businesses downstream from the government owned production, for both the refinery, and any other state industries that may be created.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 27, 2021

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

Jesse, you had me and then you lost me.

Now, I understand the need for the government to kickstart certain types of production. Sometimes the army needs somethin', and sometimes the free market ain't providing that somethin'. And when that's the case, yeah, that's when it's time for the NCR government to come in and pay for some roads or guns or a refinery or somethin' like that.

But that's the thing, right? You only do this when you have to. The free market's just better at doing it. There's competition, incentives to improve and stay efficient and all that. Now what it sounds like you're saying, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is that you want to use this as a springboard to set up government monopolies. Or maybe not something that's "technically" a monopoly, but you're sure talking a lot about having the government step in and control the prices of things.

Now unless I'm wrong about that, I'm not sure if I can support your bill. As much as I like to support strategic production, I don't know if I can support us going down the slippery slope to some socialist government economy....

Though between you and me I'd hate to sink a mostly good bill over something like that, so I'd hopefully like to work something out with you to fix that. I think maybe we could either add Mr. Reynolds' amendment or something like that to make it a bit less government monopoly-like, or you could promise not to make any more government corporations after this. Or, if either of those are too much, I think if that bill directly helped out the Brahmin lobby in some way then I'd have no choice but to vote in the interests of my constituency...

Takanago fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 27, 2021

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Thomas "Green Man" Wayne.
(R-Broken Hills)

You'll excuse me, fellow members of congress. Some dumb old racist tried to shoot me on the way to this most hallowed hall. Had to give him a good wallop, then wait for medical personnel to arrive to make sure he didn't die because of the broken ribs.

Takanago posted:

"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

Jesse, you had me and then you lost me.

Now, I understand the need for the government to kickstart certain types of production. Sometimes the army needs somethin', and sometimes the free market ain't providing that somethin'. And when that's the case, yeah, that's when it's time for the NCR government to come in and pay for some roads or guns or a refinery or somethin' like that.

But that's the thing, right? You only do this when you have to. The free market's just better at doing it. There's competition, incentives to improve and stay efficient and all that. Now what it sounds like you're saying, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is that you want to use this as a springboard to set up government monopolies. Or maybe not something that's "technically" a monopoly, but you're sure talking a lot about having the government step in and control the prices of things.

Now unless I'm wrong about that, I'm not sure if I can support your bill. As much as I like to support strategic production, I don't know if I can support us going down the slippery slope to some socialist government economy....

Though between you and me I'd hate to sink a mostly good bill over something like that, so I'd hopefully like to work something out with you to fix that. I think maybe we could either add Mr. Reynolds' amendment or something like that to make it a bit less government monopoly-like, or you could promise not to make any more government corporations after this. Or, if either of those are too much, I think if that bill directly helped out the Brahmin lobby in some way then I'd have no choice but to vote in the interests of my constituency... if you catch my drift.

Now then, Joe, please, tell me you aren't asking for a bribe? In public? In congress? Where the press is covering your every move?

----------------------
Fellow members of congress, I am old. I have seen more of the wasteland than many men and women, with few exceptions, such as the Wasteland Walkers. We have all heard tales of those men and women, I hope? Like the Vault Dweller of Vault 13, the Chosen One of Arroyo, the Ghost Vaquero in old Mexico? I have made my way east, as far as the Mojave Desert, south into Mexico, as far north as I could before the cold made it impossible to go further. I have seen many caches of old war tech, but given how much time has passed, I doubt they are still untouched.

You'll wonder why I have gone on such a tangent, yes? I believe the Republic needs more than just expanding our borders! We need to expand our HORIZONS! We must find if there are more nations rising out of the ashes! I propose that we form special scouting parties, to explore the wasteland and find any new societies that might have formed. After all, having trade partners would help our economy, and these societies might have managed to rediscover Old world technology, or even develop new world science!

quote:

Wasteland Mapping and Exploration bill
1- Train and outfit 5 man teams on wasteland survival and exploration techniques.
2- Send these teams to expand and map out the wastes of post war america
3- Find new civilizations to trade with

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

Oh of course I'm not asking for a bribe, don't be crass! I was just telling the good man across the aisle that I, like everybody else in this room, have a set of core constituents that I listen to. And if my constituency asks me to do something, I'm going to listen. That's basic democracy, Tom.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Headlines from the Golgotha Gazette:

A meticulously researched article posted:

A Brotherhood stealth incursion?
NCR Trooper KO'd and posed in embarrassing position with machine gun

Editorial poorly disguised as news posted:

The evils of government regulations.
Brahmin ranchers demand an end to incompetence and waste

Absolutely legal proceedings posted:

Racial discrimination suit dismissed
Ghoul litigants disappeared, "must've changed their minds" states a Bishop family representative.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 27, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

S- New Reno

Baron, let me put it like this, with tallow, excreta, and other parts of the creature, this biodiesel refinery will send thousands of your beasts into the engines of our nation. To say nothing of the uses for bones and such for fertilizers and similar products. We are setting about a new era for the Republic powered by steel beasts that devour flesh like a starving deathclaw and drink like a mirelurk. Combined with the ability to massively speed up the trip to markets, my bill is a river of wealth for y'all. The Brahmin will be a necessity for years to come, they simply won't be walking much by themselves anymore, which is another bonus: they'll keep a lot more fat when they get to their final destination. Yours as well Governor, the ability to get tanks of water to their destination far quicker than carts, faster time to market, less paid hourly wages per delivery.

Both of you will be making money while making money.

For what may seem to be "socialist" control of a single industry, a single *facility*, in turn your industries, across the entire NCR will be fundamentally transformed in a manner that is profitable in every single aspect and...

REPRESENTATIVE WAYNE, THEY SHOT YOU?! Good lord. My apologies on behalf of this body. Is there anything we can do to help compensate or assist you?
---------
*After the situation cools down*

I will say the Wasteland Mapping and Exploration bill is excellent thinking, although I would be more specific in stating what branch of the government that would fall under, it seems either under the military but more likely under the Dept of State. You'd need at least one trained diplomat per team, and Ideally one scientist and/or medical professional. I'd advise recruiting the rest from the Rangers or caravaners or similar groups. This would be my suggestion, would be something worded along this.

quote:

Wasteland Mapping and Exploration bill, amended

1- Train and outfit small, squad sized teams on wasteland survival and exploration techniques. These teams shall fall under the jurisdiction of the Dept of State and report all findings to same
1a. These teams shall contain professionals in each of the following areas:
1a1. At least one individual with diplomatic training per the Dept of State's standards
1a2. At least two individuals trained in emergency field care and medicine
1a3. At least one individual capable of scientific inquiry and/or field engineering
1a4. At least one individual capable of surveying and mapmaking
1a5. At least two individuals capable of using firearms in self defense.
1a6. At least one individual equipped and trained with a long range radio
1a7. A single individual may fill multiple of these rolls so long as they meet the requirements
1a8. Additional personel as the team leader deems fit.

2. Send these teams to expand and map out the wastes of post war america
2a. The team leader shall also be given funds and trade good to hire help in the field from locals, adventurers, or similar, or other immediate needs such as purchasing additional supplies.
2b. The team leader is allowed to directly recruit volunteers from active duty Rangers, per the permission of the respective Ranger unit commander. These Rangers will temporarily be employed directly by the Dept of State for the duration of the expedition and return to their original units, or closest equivalent upon the expeditions return. Time served on these expeditions will count towards years of service, pension, retirement, and all similar calculations of time of service.

3. Find new civilizations to trade with
3a. The team leader shall be authorized, to the best they are able, to represent the NCR in initial contact but if at all possible, attempt to get instructions from the Dept of State before entering into any treaties, etc.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 27, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

John O'Sullivan
[R-Sac-Town]

As much as I believe that there is indeed the need to make free enterprise the leading economical principle on our republic, there is the fact that there are certain strategic places where we must have production controlled by the state and military, and fuel is one of them. Now I believe it would be a compromise between us, gentlemen, if a state run corporation on biofuel is only required to supply the Republic's military, would not that be right? The civilian market can well be supplied by the entrepeneurs of New Reno and other places, while this agency of Mr. Santiago will only be concerned in ensuring the our budding air force, the highway patrol and our army to be well fueled for any "problem".

[Sullivan lifts an eyebrow at Wayne, looking unimpressed.] An unsavory attack, that is for sure. Security here must be heightened if this sort of incident against representatives of our republic doesn't prove to be isolated. But in any case, why form teams like that, a costly and demanding measure that will drain our military manpower, when we can perhaps just pay for private individuals or companies to just make maps for us?

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)

Ronwayne posted:

S- New Reno

Baron, let me put it like this [...]

See, now that's my kind of language. I might have had my reservations about your "subsidizing emerging businesses downstream from the government owned production" talk earlier, but what you're saying now is just common sense. Maybe in the future we can re-think the need for government control once the whole business is up and running, but for now you can rest assured that you will have my full support for this bill when it comes time to vote.