Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Name: Walter Reynolds

Locale: The Hub

Background: Governor Walter Reynolds is a high-ranking Water Merchant who believes any problem can be solved through the correct application of pressure. This usually means The Hub's wealth, but he also carries a loaded revolver with him everywhere he goes. Reynolds has benefitted enormously from the status quo and wants to keep it the same, "but more of it." As the senior governor (NEVER "representative") for the delegation from The Hub, he maintains a sizeable entourage of attaches and aides who manage access to him at all times.

Political affiliation: Republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Canonically, the Bishops win, which means that New Reno joins the NCR but with significant carve-outs for New Reno in the laws of the Republic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

We've made good points so far. But good points are just that: points. Unfocused, unconnected. If we're going to make an alliance with these people, we need to make it clear what we want from them. When my grandfather ran water to Necropolis, he didn't just bring however much water they had on hand at the time! He spelled it out to the drop, and he knew exactly what he was getting in return from them. If we leave things vague, who knows what they'll expect from us in return. We need to be the ones setting the agenda here, making our demands clear. Therefore, The Hub proposes we amend the SHI act to read as follows:

quote:

3. The NCR shall establish an Embassy in or near San Francisco for the purpose of a military alliance against the Brotherhood of Steel

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Captain Walker posted:

San-Francisco Handshake Initiative, amended once
1. The NCR shall send Ambassadors on a diplomatic mission to San Francisco with the goal of forming a strategic alliance with the Shi against the Brotherhood of Steel.

2. The NCR Ambassadors shall be authorized to offer to the Shi workers and any resources they deem necessary to secure this alliance.

3. The NCR shall establish an Embassy in or near San Francisco for the purpose of continued diplomatic communications and to defend the Republic's nearby borders from attack.

4. The NCR Senate shall allocate funds and resources as needed to to maintain the Embassy and its garrison.

What we have here is a strong declaration of purpose. We'll lay it out clear for San Francisco, and I'm sure they're reasonable people who can understand the value of mutual defense. And with the Brotherhood's actions the past few years, they'll be making the strongest case for an alliance with our Republic there is. And if they decline, well... the Republic army will of course respect the territorial borders of our neighbors, correct? We'd never interfere in their affairs unless we were invited.

And now, if I may, I'd like to discuss infrastructure. But not in the vague notions we've heard so far. Ask anyone in The Hub and they'll tell you the same: Governor Walter Reynolds is a man who talks about specifics. Well, when I talk about infrastructure, I do the same. When you start a project, you begin from a central axis and build out. This is true whether you're talking about irrigation, shipbuilding or roads. And The Hub proposes that we focus on our central line here: the old-world Highway 395.

quote:

New California Highway Act

1. The NCR shall assemble work crews to make repairs on and clear debris from Highway 395, to better facilitate trade along the NCR's main axis and create a better travel experience for all.
1a. Workers are to be paid the market wage for labor
1b. Room and board, calculated at cost, may be withheld from worker wages on request

2. The NCR Senate shall procure funding for a team from the Office of Science and Industry to offer engineering guidance on road repair.
2a. Any major repairs to the roadway which would exceed the agreed upon cost for the project, such as clearing landslides or bridge repair, will require approval from the NCR Senate

3. Following the completion of the repair project, a Senate Transportation Committee shall be formed to identify additional old-world roadways of value to the Republic

We're going to strengthen the Republic's ability to move resources swiftly from North to South, and establish a central spine to build outward from in every direction. Rather than building another government body, why not build something physical, something permanent? You wanna get people jobs, well, I've got jobs for them right here.

(Note: I found an overlaid real world map to use for reference)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Three meals a day? Temporary housing? I support education as much as anyone, but this is overambitious. Rolling it out everywhere at once is going to be a disaster. Why not try a pilot program in one major city limited to JUST education? Then we don't need to materialize a system for housing and feeding every kid in the Republic out of thin air.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Takanago posted:

"Baron" Joe Worthington
(R-Shady Sands)
Tom, I got a lot of respect for you but this is absolutely intolerable. Kids need to be helping out on their family farms to help keep their families alive! It takes a lot of hard work to keep a ranch or a farm running, you know. Way too much for Ma and Pa to do all by themselves. Do you want this whole nation to starve?! Who do you think feeds us?

And that's exactly why I say we start small, with classes in one of NCR's cities. Kids here got no farms to work on, if anything we're doing parents a favor! Have you ever heard about The Den, way up north? Some creep turned all the kids into pickpockets since they didn't have anything else to do. I say we get kids in school here before the same thing starts happening in our backyard!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

The Hub moves to call the question beginning with the New California Highway Act. Is there a second?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
R-The Hub

AYE
New California Highway Act
Patrol Act
Protect our Citizens Act
San-Francisco Handshake Initiative (Amended, Wade)
Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (REV II)

While I would have preferred something to get kids off the streets in Adytum or Junktown, I am willing to concede that a pilot program in a smaller town will require the Republic to expend fewer resources setting it up than it would for major cities. But keep in mind that this body will be making regular checks on the progress of your program.

NAY
San-Francisco Handshake Initiative
Swords and Ploughshares Reform Act (Amended, O’Sullivan)
Minimum Required Education Act
[/b]

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Here here, Worthington! I say if the Brotherhood doesn't like that we're raising our preparedness, they should quit crossing the border! Don't like getting shot at, Maxson? Stop giving us reason to.

But as for this new bill, I have got to say... I have problems with this fourth part. Those are very sensible regulations that keep farms from getting past the size that irrigation projects and water caravans can service them. What good's more land if we don't have the irrigation in place to service them, right? And we've only got so many caravans to make up the difference. Until we've expanded our water sources, we have to recognize our limits.

Let's not put the cart before the horse here. The first thing we should be doing is expanding excavation for aquifers! The Hub proposes the following:

quote:

Aquifer Exploration Act

1. The Office of Science and Technology will partner with mining teams from Redding and Broken Hills to seek underground water sources along the Sierra Madres. These prospecting teams, when successful, will be paid a finders' fee by the Republic.

2. When found, these water sources will be auctioned by blind bid from any caravan companies with sufficient capacity to transport water to NCR farms and ranches.

3. Under NO circumstances will water found in this method be exported to other states.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

I assure you, I am wholly on board with that as a final goal. If our aquifer drilling project is successful, surely we can revisit this question in the future. We'll just need to wait until the time is right and then our irrigation projects will unleash a whole new wave of expansion for the Republic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Warren Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Congressman Santiago, your chemical plant idea is intriguing and will definitely help with future highway expansions. I also think it will help clean up New Reno, like you said. But I have some questions about perpetual government ownership.

I am well aware it will be necessary for the Republic to put its arms under the plant and lift so it can get on its feet. There's only one group in New Reno that has the capital to start a project like this otherwise, and you'll excuse me if I say I'd rather not have the Reno Families controlling our fuel supply. But once the project is established and profitable, and the immediate needs of the government are supplied, wouldn't it be better to open the fuel industry up to competition from the private sector? Nobody else is ever going to be able to break into the industry if the biggest buyer, us, has a supplier that sells fuel to every branch of the NCR government at cost.

I would like to propose that section 1b of the bill be amended to read

quote:

The New California Republic will maintain a controlling majority of at least 51% of all shares of the company until such time as the project has proven profitable for three years.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
R-The Hub

I think we've all had some good discussion about this. I propose that we table questions of permanent future ownership for now, to be revisited once our fuel production is stable and reliable. It's great to have plans for the future, but let's not put the brahmin before the cart. Right now, what we're going to have is Republic investment in a project that will, if all goes according to plan, produce fuel later. Here's my suggestion: instead of mandating right now what the ownership structure of this plant is going to be forever, let's revisit it periodically so we can reassess. For every year of operation after completion of the plant, this body will reconvene to assess the state of fuel production in the Republic. I agree, it's important to have our government supplied with fuel. But one day in the future, the Republic's industry will be strong enough that we'll have multiple fuel producers vying to do it for us. And when that day comes, we should open our own doors to them. But not before.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mycroft Holmes posted:

"This is NCR public radio, bringing the news to you. Two days ago, the southern fishing village of Pez Grande was attacked by raiders from Baja. What is unusual is that these raiders came from the sea. In refurbished pre-war boats, former fishing trawlers and speedboats, they attacked the seaside town, looted and took slaves, and left , but not before torching the town. This demonstration of the NCRs naval weakness has caused calls for the funding of a navy within congress, with one representative stating "The US Navy once ruled the seas, now we can't even protect our coasts." This has been Jack Bight, for NCR news.

Glad to be back on the air with you, Jack.

I agree, this is troubling news, and cannot be allowed to stand. Now, a navy is a difficult thing to field for a government that has no major cities on the coast. But I believe I have a solution. When the legislature reopens for bills following the upcoming vote, I am going to propose an NCR expedition to the Old World city of San Diego. For those of you who aren't familiar, San Diego was south of the Angel's Boneyard and west of Dayglow, on the coast. It was one of the main headquarters for the US Navy. Once we establish a base there, we can begin the work of better securing our coastline.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A good question. That's going to depend on what we find there. If there is heavy equipment which we can get working still there, then I am sure we'll try to move in with all haste and begin recruiting scientists to work there. If all we can find are documents and other things which we could transport back to the core NCR territories, then the best move would be to return them to the OSI offices for the time being. The best case scenario would be to discover working machinery there, but if we don't we must be prepared for other possibilities. If we find only easily-moved documents, it would likely be more economical to begin our shipbuilding efforts in a preexisting coastal city, such as the Boneyard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

The Hub votes Aye on this slate of bills. But I promise you that we'll be returning to the question of refinery ownership once production commences!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

As you probably heard, I discussed the question of a coast guard with the media a while ago. And I still stand by what I said. In conjunction with plans for a Coast Guard, I propose we send an expedition to the naval base in San Diego to determine if anything there is of use. Worst case scenario, we will find some schematics tucked away somewhere, but it's possible we could find working equipment there. And when we get it working we'd have a working naval facility to start off coastal operations.

quote:

San Diego Expeditionary Order
1. This order commissions an expeditionary team from OSI to head from the Boneyard to San Diego to determine the status of the old world naval facilities there.

2. Any surviving technical documents will be returned to OSI headquarters for analysis and duplication.

3. The team will report back on the status of industrial equipment there and whether the facilities can be repaired.

4. A protective detail will accompany them from the NCR infantry to provide security.

5. This team will report back to Congress with their findings so an informed decision on San Diego can be made.

No, it's not going to instantly change the course of the nation. No, it won't instantly solve the problems with intruders on the coast. But it could be the key to both of those things, if we bother to investigate.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 8, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

You're right, Ben. It's a dangerous place. All the better that we know what's there, correct? It's in the Boneyard's backyard, and we'll need to pass by if we ever want to explore the Baja. And that's why I'm willing to retract my motion and put my support behind the New San Diego Military Colony Charter Act. I was thinking we'd need to do this in steps, but I'm more than happy to expand my reach.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

No need to worry about me, Thomas! I got all the protection I need right here!

Walter reaches down into his sock and holds up a loaded revolver

Appreciate the thought, though. Real nice of you. Now, first thing's first, let's get to what we're all wondering.

YEA
The Coast Guard Act
New San Diego Military Colony Charter Act
San Francisco Hello-Neighbor Initiative

NAY
Blue Water & Boneyard Act
Steel Skeleton Metal & Mechanics Corporation Act, Artifact-Funding Revision

I asked for my measure to be withdrawn, so no vote on that. Anyway, I have to agree with Joe here. In fact, I think he's really on to something! So what do you say, Joe? Got any future plans you'd like to declare?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Look, if they make the same deal with the Brotherhood, it's a push. They don't help or bother either side, I'm gonna say that's a win for now. But they are offering to trade with us, and as we use to say in the water business, that's the first pipe laid. And it could definitely turn to our advantage; do you think the Brotherhood can offer the same volume or variety of products we can? Hah! They can barely feed themselves! I say, plant the seed now and see what sprouts!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R- The Hub)

quote:

Not to mention that the way that the common folk there are treated is downright inhuman, would you really think the honest citizens of our nation would like to buy products made by the slaves of a corrupt nobility?

Hell if I know, John, because I can't speak for everyone. But if you're right, that's just the free market making its voice heard. If we establish open markets with the Shi, and they try to move their goods but they don't sell any on account of their labor practices, well, that sends a message too, right? I say you gotta take the openings that you've given.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Here, here, Santiago. If the Brotherhood wants to operate as a police force then it should be accountable as one. If the Brotherhood believes it is intervening only in dangerous scenarios, why do they not officially report where they are going, what they are taking and what situation led them to act? This is a nation of laws, and we require probable cause first and foremost.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

Forty years I've been in this legislature, and I've seen a lot of change in that time. We've built roads, schools, an army, even a coast guard now. But the Brotherhood is pretending none of that has happened. If you're trying to keep technology away from people who aren't qualified, why exactly have your actions increased so far? You aren't even stuck in the past, but you're actively regressing! And I, for one, object to the infantilization of our proud Republic, of which you claim to be members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Walter Reynolds
(R-The Hub)

In the event of an emergency we've always got imminent domain to fall back on. And if someone finds stuff and they want to sell it to the NCR, there's already programs in place for that. Doesn't seem like we need to bolt an extra component onto the bill to me.

(I'm not running because I'm not only a 40-year congressional veteran, I was also one of the nominees rolled out to get trounced by Tandi 30 years ago.)