Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Oh goddamn that is something else.

Do you have any plans to shoot it? I'm always curious how period sniper rifles perform.

I had no idea that the M1D was still being produced (for certain values of "produced" - not like they were forging new receivers) into the late 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

FYI there's a really good article in the latest edition of the GCA magazine about repro/fake M82 scopes and how to spot them, complete with some really good side-by-side comparison shots of a real and a repro. They're calling a specific type out in particular because they're not marked as repros, which is shady.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yay on the letter.

And m82. They talk about the repros but note that these arenít marked that way:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Now I really can't wait for that article. drat, the whole sniper scene is a shitshow of fakes. That's why I wanted an M1C from the CMP directly (even Ian in forgotten weapons mistakes a bubba'd M1C for a USMC one...)

The A4s are nice with the unique serial stamping but I still haven't found an original mount for mine. To make matters worse, there's 2 versions that are mainly distinguished by the slope on the rear of the mount.

Yeah, all this is why I both stay far away from snipers in general, and jumped all the gently caress over the sniper m91/30s when they were being imported. Right out of the box from being packed as a "hunting rifle" by TOZ is pretty much as good as you're ever going to get for provenance, and absent that I really was not interested in learning how to spot a fake.

I mean, when the guy who has entire folders on his computer dedicated to examples of the fonts that German gun makers used to stamp serial numbers goes "nope, not getting into that, too much fake BS" then you know poo poo's bad.