Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

I like hearing why everybody has the av they have, what it means to them and why they picked it.

I'll start!

Mine is supposed to be me, wearing a blue kilt and boots, sitting on a dragon I just slayed with my tiny wooden sword. There's a laptop on my lap too. I had it drawn based on how my daughter described me. I believe at that time she thought I was really strong and brave, and also a computer nerd, and she liked the stompy boots I wore with the denim utilikilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

mine just goes

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
a editorialized catoon ("toon" for less syllables ) of a bad down under prime ministour writing bad posts.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

mine is one i drew to replace the one i had before, which was just some saints row 2 character i had at the time in a doctor getup wielding a chainsaw. i also wanted a tag to denote that i was a gal who posts!

take the moon

by sebmojo
taken from byob goldmined thread on the moonlit cliff by olive! & jazzed up by tvsveryown

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

biosterous

i was rocking the orb with the dream theater logo from the album octavarium for a very long time, and then this past halloween i had and idea of turning it into a jack'o'lantern, and then i figured out how to turn it into a gif that made it look like the wind was blowing the candle a bit and changing the colours

i've just stuck with round object + dt logo for a lot of online stuff for a while now so it's A Thing I Guess

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
A goon named The Splash PM'd me and offered to make me an av because IIRC they liked my posts in the Comic Strip Megathread over in BSS. I asked for Little My from the Moomin comics because at the time I thought those were the cutest comics in that thread and I wanted a little trans flag motif incorporated because I thought visibility was sort of neat and important. I really like it and even though I occasionally changed it back when I had the mod power to have new free avs whenever I think this is the av for me deep down in my heart.

Which worked out well because I like all of my sigs with Little My in them and I was very touched to get a Little My mug in my BYOB secret santa package (ty again Fluffie Duckie).

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

cruft

How Wonderful! posted:

I wanted a little trans flag motif

Oh poo poo, that's been staring me in the face this whole time and I never noticed!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
just doing my part to keep byob at least half pokemon. It used 2 be all pokey man avs but idk what happened :shrug:

tyvm Justa Dandelion and Ravenous Scoot

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I was Splatmaster in another life but then there was talk about BYOB being deleted and going away forever and I said "BYOB will never be deleted, it will come back like a pot smoke phoenix!" and here we are.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

my av is a very small section of what is one of my favourite photos of myself and my siblings:

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

my av is a very small section of what is one of my favourite photos of myself and my siblings:

That homemade Rainbow Brite costume owns.

cruft

Each and every one of these tiny stories is as mind-blowing and awesome as I had hoped!

Heather Papps

hello friend

cruft posted:

That homemade Rainbow Brite costume owns.

mom tried her best!

e: the mouse costume is also home made!

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 17, 2021

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Jaguars!

My current one is a cartoon for 'The Bus' by Paul Kirchner, which was goon recommended. He still sells the books on eBay which was a nightmare to deal with from NZ but totally worth it. I animated it frame by frame using Paint.net and gifcam as an experiment.

Some old ones:

From an advertisement for the McGillyCuddy Serious Party, a joke party in NZ that campaigned on carpeting the highways and good weather if voters behaved among other things.

One year I entered the LP forum's wrestling tournament. My wrestler had a very poorly thought out gimmick that rapidly devolved from 'Ivory tower medical academic' to 'nurse' to 'nerdy girl'. Here she is using her incredibly underwelming finishing move to win the Kawaii championship.

My original av was commisioned from a user called Hellbeard who used to do loads of Avatars. IIRC I paid him $5 per jaguar.

Twenty Four

forums user Baron Cyber Skull (spelling might be off?) made mine and I was feeling nostalgic for Alaska and I have had it for many years, but like I said the other day, sometimes it feels weird having a landscape AV instead of some character like most, but, I've had it for so long I can't imagine changing. super interesting!

Farecoal

There he go

Twenty Four posted:

forums user Baron Cyber Skull (spelling might be off?) made mine and I was feeling nostalgic for Alaska and I have had it for many years, but like I said the other day, sometimes it feels weird having a landscape AV instead of some character like most, but, I've had it for so long I can't imagine changing. super interesting!

I really like yours! It's very atmospheric and makes me wish I was currently living in cold weather.

Mine is just walking Furret

Twenty Four

Farecoal posted:

I really like yours! It's very atmospheric and makes me wish I was currently living in cold weather.

Mine is just walking Furret

Thanks! I like yours too and I enjoyed the world tour video!

French Accent

it was given to me as ad space

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Other people changed my av a bunch of times, and eventually this one stuck.i think it's from a movie and I wish I could remember who it's from, but I've never had a working memory.

Farecoal

There he go

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Other people changed my av a bunch of times, and eventually this one stuck.i think it's from a movie and I wish I could remember who it's from, but I've never had a working memory.

It's John Glenn having fun skipping in a field at night imo

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I was Splatmaster in another life but then there was talk about BYOB being deleted and going away forever and I said "BYOB will never be deleted, it will come back like a pot smoke phoenix!" and here we are.

its funny how people get names, like "smith" bc you're a blacksmith or "shepherd" bc you herd sheep and sometimes its from one memorable event like if you gently caress one cow once at a byobcon

Macnult

you can't really snowboard, mountain bike, or skate the web but that's where surfing comes in

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Farecoal posted:

It's John Glenn having fun skipping in a field at night imo

Astronauts like the night because it reminds them of space. :hmmyes:

treasure bear

i traced a bear for a thread and liked it and then i made it wiggle

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/byob-bears-pigs/4/

later i found someone else had traced the same bear and it was on a sign in life is strange

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mine is truth in advertising.

Also I have a bunch of magical bullshit jammed in my forehead.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
City of Glompton

i stole a cute gif from the internet bc i love chickens. someone in byob colored it (maybe machai?) and later someone else made the shell rainbow (i think that was manifisto?)

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 18, 2021

Ass-penny

Some kind of "get an av" thread, possibly in GBS? I had it bookmarked until like 3 months ago. People posted a bunch of stuff that was sort of up for grabs. I liked this one because it is chill and vaguely psychedelic and has a cat, which are all important to me. Plus my account was over a decade old and it was really time I shed the stupid newbie one.

Elmnt80

I found some cute cartoon thingy and one of the stories was a cat fixing up a car. I felt like the frame where the car breaks down mid fix was appropriate given the whole car mod thing.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I was searching for medieval skeleton art and found this silly image.

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
Someone bought mine when I posted gbs after 100 years of lurking

IGgy IGsen

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Back in the day I had my own wrestling federation in WWE 2k14 and one week we had the bunny episode and a friend who was on the show actually booked that one as a guest booker. She drew that for it to put on the screen and I changed my avatar live on stream because I liked it so much.

I see no real reason to ever change it.

Mr. Baps

Yo ho?

Someone in an old GBS thread drew this for me for a few bucks. I love it, but to my great shame I don't remember their username.

Jinh

prepuce repurposed posted:

just doing my part to keep byob at least half pokemon. It used 2 be all pokey man avs but idk what happened :shrug:

:same: here and also my username was uglyducklett for a while

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
Mine is a Thunder Moose. :colbert:

barfdog

mine is a dog barfing posts

https://i.imgur.com/FLpAnfS.mp4

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

My brother made me sort of a version of this av a long long time ago but then when I started posting in byob I asked in the newbie ah thread (where has that gone????) and nut, the artist formerly known as bee eater, made this one for me and I love it

E: and to explain further, if anyone didn’t get it, it is a fried pork or veal cutlet (a schnitzel) wearing kaiserly garb and a monacle-a Kaiser schnitzel, if you will

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Ass-penny

okiedoke posted:

Someone bought mine when I posted gbs after 100 years of lurking

When you say your username do you enunciate the second e? Or is doke pronounced more like toke?

xcheopis

I had to turn on avs because I couldn't remember which one it was!
It's the spooooky version of an av that just popped up on me one day. I thought about finally requesting a revert to the original gif but then I went into "why take down the lights when it'll be christmas again any day now" mode.

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter

The only thing I remember about my av is that microwave drew it. I think it’s neat. I’ve had it for over a decade I think.