Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Elburroman posted:

I always think 3 olives and 50 foot ant are the same forums exile and get kinda startled to see either post, like seeing a driverless car in action or a car driven by a dog in action

i liked this post though what do i know

They're definitely very different posters.

Also I laugh at far too many 3O posts so please don't ban him.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

ill eat my own balls hows that for a loving american dream

Can I eat ur balls

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol at the idea of "renting." You should just indenture yourself to a multinational corporation. You'll work 18 hours a day, but they'll give you a place to stay and food! Not for free, of course... It would cost a mere PERCENTAGE* of your indentured wages. What a deal! What a dream!

*95% of your wages to be specific

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I kill bugs for a living and I now have 74 grand in inflated fugazi equity in a house I bought two years ago. Time to cash it in for a swimming pool and a lifted F150. This is the American Dream.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They call it the American dream cause you gotta be asleep to believe in that shitt lmao

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Suck it Dreamers

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I love how the article shines poo poo to make it sound like it's a good thing and people just need to be convinced that fewer property owners owning more and more property is actually beneficial to everyone else because, uh, liquidity of assets and fart.

It's kind of like those articles that claim millennials don't even want to own their own car, they love just taking Ubers everywhere and furthermore, millennials don't even want a full time job with benefits, they love working 2-3 gig jobs and scrambling with "side hustles".

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pimpcasso posted:

I look forward to the housing market collapsing again tbh

FYI anytime prices drop even a little the governments of the world will do literally anything to stop a serious correction, up to and including shovelling trillions into the maw of hedge funds so they can immediately hoover up any inventory.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The American Dream was never alive hth

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Three Olives posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a..._source=twitter

Congrats to the death of the American Dream and to the exciting future of being beholden to the whims of whatever hedge fund owns your home. No one ever wanted to be comfortable in a home anyways, this is a country of the kind of rugged independence of having your landlord jack up your rent knowing that the huge increase is barely more than the exorbitant emotional and financial cost of moving instead of paying the increased rent. When you really thing about it, you always really wanted better liquid financial investments, just like right to work gave you the freedom to find a new job whenever you wanted. Trust me, you'll love it!

Congrats America, your dream is dead to provide an even brighter future!

:911:

You vote for conservatives, you lose progress, cheers

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Strange Aeon posted:

I love how the article shines poo poo to make it sound like it's a good thing and people just need to be convinced that fewer property owners owning more and more property is actually beneficial to everyone else because, uh, liquidity of assets and fart.

It's kind of like those articles that claim millennials don't even want to own their own car, they love just taking Ubers everywhere and furthermore, millennials don't even want a full time job with benefits, they love working 2-3 gig jobs and scrambling with "side hustles".
Social management of land and residences is good for all the reasons the article mentions. It's just that it's not what we're tracking to. Landlords do everything they can to affect the opposite of the social benefits to trap people in one place and keep the fat floating to the top for themself.

Individual ownership hasn't been very social either lest we forget the entire point of building and owning your own home has generally meant "moving away from black people" for the past 70 years.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I just want to move away from people, regardless of their creed or color

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

CPL593H posted:

We've been living in a dystopia for a long time. Opiates are ravaging the underclass and the cops already use robots.

Yeah but it's got to have a cool name, make people psycho, and give them the inhuman strength. Meth would almost fit the bill if it rebranded as like "Havoc" or "Fury" or something but otherwise we're going to have to wait for the boys in the lab to whip up something new before we can truly say America is a dystopia.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

1redflag posted:

I just want to move away from people, regardless of their creed or color

bigot

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You vote for conservatives, you lose progress, cheers

Well known conservatives like Clinton and Obama

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I think misanthrope would be a better fit, tbh; bigotry typically has a connotation of hatred of a specific group of humans

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
the american dream is dead? over my dead body.

crash fuckin' everything that's essential for living. cmon Biden. you can do it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Pimpcasso posted:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It'd be cool if we could talk about the subject rather than dunking on three olives the whole time, as is tradition.

This is something that very much concerns me. I always bought into the home ownership thing. I now own my own home solely because I got backpay from the VA and the first thing I did was put a down payment on a house. Apartment renting is loving criminal. When I lived near Seattle my rent went up $100 every year. I had to move back to Wisconsin due to not being able to afford to live there.

It really upsets me that people who weren't as lucky as me are getting hosed over left and right.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It really upsets me that people who weren't as lucky as me are getting hosed over left and right.

THE WINNERS ARE AT WAR WITH THE LOSERS, AND THE FIX IS ON. THE PROSPECTS FOR PEACE ARE AWFUL.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Astronout looking at the earth:

"American dream is dead??"

Another astronaut holding a Glock to the astonnuust's back:
"Always has been"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure the span of a lease

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!
The American Dream involves settling down and having children, to whom you provide a better life than you were provided.

I don't even understand why gays live.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Hunter s Thompson wrote a book on this, might want to read it.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Soon companies like BlackRock will own every home and apartment in the country and rent them all out. They can easily outbid anyone else trying to buy. When there is a massive housing market crash, they will all get bailouts ofc so really no matter how much they pay for a house it’s a risk free investment.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Scald posted:

The American Dream involves settling down and having children, to whom you provide a better life than you were provided.

Yeah that's dead too.

Do you have it better than your parents?

I surely don't. As is just about anyone who has boomer parents.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Pimpcasso posted:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's gonna be one great bailout lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
When this article fell out of a portal that appeared in the sky you could also hear the song Sexy and I Know It coming out of the portal, as well as the sound of someone saying to someone else "I really love this new song that just came out today."

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The American Dream?

*Writes BACK DOOR BEAUTY??? on a napkin and slips it to 3O*

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah that's dead too.

Do you have it better than your parents?

I surely don't. As is just about anyone who has boomer parents.

Yes, I do?

My parents sucked though, and I don't quantify success in life in dollars or home-ownership.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Scald posted:

Yes, I do?

You're lucky. Many of my generation aren't.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Well known conservatives like Clinton and Obama

lol if you think that democrats are left wing.

Scald posted:

I don't even understand why gays live.

I do it for pure loving spite.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

This death to america thing might have some merit

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it certainly has a nice ring to it

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

A CRAB IRL posted:

Can I eat ur balls

hell yeah you can. that just so happens to be my america dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

gently caress the American Dream anyway, it was manufacturer for you by television and hollywood, in an era when people were trying their very best to become completely separated from anything natural. This was the era when they sucked babies out of women with vacuums, for chrissake; when aerodynamics were second fiddle to pure bombastic glitz. It's all a holdover, an artificial past that was created in front of our parents' eyes and is now pointed to as a golden era, as though nothing bad happened, as though the seeds for the modern decay of society weren't formented right behind the curtains, just offstage.

You want a real dream? You have to look at the rare moments in history when dreamers had a snatch of power. Napoleon's reshaping of Paris, for instance, or even Mussolini with Rome. That's a powerful dream - a concrete vision of change that is actually enacted in the world, at great expense but with even greater payback.

The idea of insulating ourselves into a comfortable, better-living-through-chemistry, sterilized suburban hellscape was just a reaction to the increasingly unlivable nature of the American inner city, after all; the dream was about getting away from something; glamourizing it is just a veneer put on top to help mollify us when we start to wonder why we even had to give up living near our jobs to begin with.