Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I hope I'm in the right place to ask this question.

I'm very right dominant when I shoot. However, my left eye sees better. The astigmatism on my right throws off my sight when shooting on irons only. No issue with a scope. Yes I wear glasses with the correct prescription.

It only became a problem over the last few years when my eyes decided to take a turn for the worse. It's stabilized now, but my right eye (which used to be a lazy eye when I was a kid) doesn't like shooting irons anymore.

I cant shoot left handed to save my soul. Hand gun or rifle. Is there anything that can be done? Or should I just stick scopes on my rifles and be done with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Not trying to backseat mod a drat thing, because this is a good question that has impacted a lot of shooters.

But some folks only browse the forums using bookmarked threads, so you might want to drop a link to this question thread in the Optics & General Question threads.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Good call Log. I dropped a note and link in the general questions thread, we'll see if that drives any traffic here.

OP, feel free to cross post this anywhere in the forum you think would be reasonable. General questions, newbie questions, etc. You're not going to bother anyone with that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

For what it's worth, I have seen a few shooters at the range who are right-handed and left-eye-dominant. It looks a little strange when they shoot, because it almost looks like they're looking off to the side when they're shooting handguns. But, I know it can be done, there's just apparently learning curve.

It will look unusual to any shooter who doesn't have this situation going on. Very unusual. So unusual that you might attract some well-meaning, unsolicited advice from people who are afraid you don't know how to guns. But a little bit of gunsplaining isn't the worst thing, because who knows? Maybe someone will see you, actually know what's going on, and give you useful advice.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

mostlygray posted:

I'm very right dominant when I shoot. However, my left eye sees better. The astigmatism on my right throws off my sight when shooting on irons only. No issue with a scope. Yes I wear glasses with the correct prescription.

It only became a problem over the last few years when my eyes decided to take a turn for the worse. It's stabilized now, but my right eye (which used to be a lazy eye when I was a kid) doesn't like shooting irons anymore.

I cant shoot left handed to save my soul. Hand gun or rifle. Is there anything that can be done? Or should I just stick scopes on my rifles and be done with it?

What kind of irons are you using?

With peep sights, the aperture on the rear sight acts as an artificial pupil and dramatically reduces the amount of optical aberration from the cornea and crystalline lens.

If you haven't tried a peep sight and want to see if it'll help in your situation, try poking a small hole in a piece of something opaque (aluminum foil works well), hold it to your eye with a few inches of separation, and look through it at a distant object.

If you have a severe astigmatism in the very center of your cornea, it probably won't do a lot, but otherwise things (in a reduced field of view) should look much clearer for you, which would suggest peep sights would work if appropriately sized.

Fun tidbit: This also bypasses the optical issues from myopia/hyperopia/presbyopia, and it can be used in some circumstances in lieu of corrective eyewear to assist in distance viewing or reading.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Obi_Wan_Kenobi_hello_there_meme.gif

I'm terminally left side dominant, have astigmatism, and my right eye is better than my left (It's not by much, but it's enough). I shoot left-handed and favor red dot/holographic sights as it only has two points of focus (dot and target) vs. traditional iron sights (rear sight, front sight, and target). Scoped/magnified shooting kind of falls in this category too.

I will say the best thing I've done for shooting better was dropping on LASIK which fixed almost all my vision issues.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My astigmatism is thankfully mild enough to usually not matter, but if I'm shooting an iron sighted pistol at 100+ meters it really helps if I stick a piece of matte finish tape over the left lens of my safety glasses.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

mostlygray posted:

I am cross dominant (left eye, right handed) and had to train out using my left eye when I was a teenager. It's probably for the best to use your hand-dominant eye, but it's definitely possible to shoot with your "off" eye. It puts your head in a pretty wacky position that may not be comfortable enough to use, and it probably doesn't work for action shooting stuff, but maybe you could give it a try. That said, I think scopes are a better solution to the problem and are generally the one people land upon when natural aging makes irons infeasible.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

poeticoddity posted:

What kind of irons are you using?

With peep sights, the aperture on the rear sight acts as an artificial pupil and dramatically reduces the amount of optical aberration from the cornea and crystalline lens.

If you haven't tried a peep sight and want to see if it'll help in your situation, try poking a small hole in a piece of something opaque (aluminum foil works well), hold it to your eye with a few inches of separation, and look through it at a distant object.

If you have a severe astigmatism in the very center of your cornea, it probably won't do a lot, but otherwise things (in a reduced field of view) should look much clearer for you, which would suggest peep sights would work if appropriately sized.

Fun tidbit: This also bypasses the optical issues from myopia/hyperopia/presbyopia, and it can be used in some circumstances in lieu of corrective eyewear to assist in distance viewing or reading.

I use a peep site. It doesn't help. It was fine before optic nerve damage (idiopathic) it's just better on the left. I have trouble seeing the target now once I dial in. It's like it disappears once I focus on the front sight. Shooting plain jane straight irons, like on my Steyr-Mannlicher M95 I'm pretty much useless these days. No worries there though, the ammo's too expensive anyway.

Making shooting glasses with the pin-prick is definitely a good idea. I'm going to try that next time I go shooting. It makes total sense.

Thank you so much!

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

What are your eye issues? You mentioned astigmatism, do you have keratoconus?

Have you talked to your eye doctor about getting fitted for hard contact lenses?

They create a bubble of water between the lens and your cornea and do more to correct severe astigmatism than glasses or soft contacts can.

They are also uncomfortable and a bitch to remove without a lot of practice or a special tool.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, with severe astigmatism in both eyes and the hilarious inability to close only my left eye (I can close the right or both, so I can vouch that shooting righty while looking out of your left eye sucks.

For some guns (handguns, carbines, etc.) it just looks silly. For others, I simply cannot get a good sight picture at all. When peripheral vision doesn't matter, I'll sometimes wear an eye patch over my left eye but I've also had success with putting a small piece of electrical tape on the top of left lens on my glasses or canting the bill of a baseball cap down pretty far over my left eye. That seems to "switch" my dominant eye from left to right while allowing both to be open while only obscuring a small area out of the left.

Sorry none of these directly apply to your situation.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Fwiw, I am strongly cross dominant and thought I couldn't shoot irons, till I got a pellet gun, set up a range in my hallway, and spent a winter learning to shoot lefty. I now shoot long guns lefty without issue, and shoot handguns right hand/left eyed with ny head cocked over a bit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I've had a condition that makes my left eye totally dominant since the center vision of my right eye is like 200 or something like that for basically most of my life. What you do is you just learn to shoot leftie and stick with pistols etc. If your arms are long enough you can do the thing where you shoulder a rifle on the left but while still handling it right-handed but I find it pretty uncomfortable.

I mean I guess if you wanted to get cute with it you could do one of those 45 degree sights but off to the left instead of the right and use that for your shooting, like how old-time WWI-era scopes were set up on rifles.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 19, 2021

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Comedy answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcVFrk7omk

Rob Leatham on shooting pistols cross dominant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPIxIZnadU

Others have already posted the long gun solutions I'm familiar with (occluding/squinting your dominant eye).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Iím cross eye/hand dominant and my vision is worse in my dominant eye.

Glasses and practice I guess. I still see well enough I donít need glasses at close range but it makes a significant different. Other than that i shoot handguns with my right hand and rifles with my left so itís a little weird but it works okay.