Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I really enjoy how they made undead a real threat, and made anti-undead spells actually super useful. The whole opening peninsula was such a good sequence of exploration and understanding how this world works.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tektolnes posted:

It makes the paladin style character with anti-undead spells and traditional weapons for everything else completely viable.

I will say the early game feels harder than the later game, not having talents or skills makes you pretty vulnerable early on.

Oh totally, early game is a ball buster for sure.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tektolnes posted:

You just have to recognize that you may not be able to kill everything you encounter for a while. The game doesn’t scale to your level, if you go into an area that’s too dangerous it’s going to be really hard. Retreat and come back later when you’re stronger and better equipped.

Right, which rocks, and the game doesn't TELL you this, it shows you, violently.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Does loot scale to your level or is everything fixed? I am looking at some armor sets but am worried about getting things too early and making equipment weaker.

Iirc everything is fixed. No level or loot scaling. Enemies get tough the further into the world you go.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kestral posted:

Stumbled across this today and it looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm in the mood for! Since it's apparently mechanically distinct from Skyrim, does anyone have advice for builds that they enjoyed, or ones they'd warn a new player off of?

Magic is actually good, so a mage build can be a lot of fun. Anti Undead spells are strong and useful against the very strong undead, so a paladin style build is viable now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I remember Nehrim being a big improvement compared to Oblivion, I haven't tried Enderal but it's probably worth playing

It is. Enderal is hands down better than Skyrim is basically every way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

-always move around during combat you cant really tank hits like og skyrim

At least in early game. Early game is very tough in Enderal, but the lack of scaling means that as you gear up better and get better skills, you will be better able to tank stuff and deal with more damage.

Also note that healing magic has a limit in "arcane fever", so don't expect to be a melee guy that just tanks poo poo and heals constantly. Not getting hit in the first place is the name of the game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bremen posted:

I've seen talk about melee and talk about magic, how are bows as a specialization?

Yeah, but I think everyone is fuckin sick of em from vanilla lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ironslave posted:

I did, as far as I know, everything there was to do in the game, and I don't recall anything like that.

Yeah same. What quest are they talking about?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yes, that post feels really disingenuous based on my experience with the game. They make it sound like there is a scene where you are forced to watch someone get beaten and raped, when I have zero experience with that at all after playing the game through three times.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol sinister suggestive dialogue is not a graphic rape scene. Who are you trying to impress with your outrage here?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shyrka posted:

Finished this now, got the Catharsis ending. Ending spoilers ahead.

I feel like the ending moral of 'The High Ones are powerless but for the power we give them' doesn't really work. Between the red madness making people go on berserk killing rampages (and that is absolutely shown as getting worse towards the end with the possessed villager enemies showing up), the swarms of undead being raised up, and animals being made rabid, it feels abundantly clear that poo poo is falling apart fast and even if you stop the beacon, civilization is basically done.

I still went for the ending of stopping the beacon because becoming god of a bunch of cavemen to make them not greedy or egotistic just sounds absolutely dumb as a concept. May as well just save the lives still around!

You can absolutely bet your rear end that if undead existed in reality that we would be going through the same poo poo rn lol

Also, did you drink the Dreamflower elixer? Gives the ending a lot more interesting connotations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shyrka posted:

I did not drink the Dreamflower Elixer. I was actually going to but after finishing Yuslan's quest and basically pulling him out of his own suicidal idyllic fantasy I was really moved by his concern about me doing the same and felt like we'd formed a real connection so trusted his word. Made the stuff with the Numinos sting that much worse.

I'm happy with it ending on a moral of the prophet trusting the people of this cycle will get it right and dying rather than trying to become another immortal god-king who'll solve everything himself.

Game made me feel a lot of things! Was definitely time well spent, got 73 hours according to Steam and that's some serious value for money.

If you're interested in what happens if you did, It's the same as the regular ending, except you survive and wake up from your coma 2 weeks later in another country to tell the Queen there about the cycle and what to expect and how to beat it.

or do you?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Debating narrative choices in media is a good thing. Claiming there is a graphic rape scene when there is not isn't, and that's the entire point trying to be made here.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, so then what's your definition for "graphic" and why is "happens off screen but the lead up is fully voiced and broadcast to the player" significantly better?

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Saying there is a "graphic rape scene" absolutely implies that someone is being raped on screen with a visual portrayal. You seem to think I'm arguing in favor of rape somehow, when I'm not. I just think it's neccesary to make it clear what actually happens in the game so people don't go "wtf there is an unskippabke rape cutscene?" and pass on this very good game based on that.

Tabletops posted:

I have no dog in this discussion but graphic in media is quite literally visual, graphic descriptions are another

Correct. And even here, there isn't a graphic description, but rather heavy implication.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Everyone should log off the god damned internet for a while, holy poo poo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I read it as justification for being awful. See see, it's HIS fault that his wife is cheating on him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Remember too that the original mod was in German, so some of the translation could be spotty

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ironslave posted:

It's also weird to take the words of the lying, murderous adulterer who is trying to either buy you off or kill you as an authoritative source on what's happened. I'm pretty sure him talking like an rear end in a top hat just means he's... an rear end in a top hat, not a secret vehicle for ideological misogynist sentiment.

But but, my crusade!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If you play Enderal then you support rape and are a red pill nazi, and that's all there is to it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GrayDorian posted:

I thought the game had bad writing but then I looked at this thread

BREAKING: Random goon thinks something has "bad writing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Megazver posted:

Good job making GBS threads yet another thread to death, fellow goons!

Yeah it did suck that terminally online performative bullshit accusations of graphic rape happened huh

Play the game or don't, it's really good. I see no reason to leave this poo poo bookmarked anymore