Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
There’s also “Engineering a Compiler: VAX-11 Code Generation and Optimization” written by and about the VAX-11 PL/I compiler team’s work, for a look at the interplay between hardware and software for a brand new platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

I designed something with a MSP430, it had a capacitive sensor.

The factory reported that they would put the device into the test jig, turn the power on, and the software would report PASS before they got anywhere near the capacitive sensor. The eventual root cause was the UART lines TX/RX were providing enough juice for the chip to boot and limp through the cap sense procedure. When it got a real power supply the numbers got big enough that the SW recorded the PASS because it saw enough swing on the pads.

The ISA was understandably limited. I had a few bit-shifts, but the ISA didn't have anything variable so they just had a function that was 10 of them they'd jump into at the appropriate point. Switch statements got boiled down to a jump table. An intern wrote something like (I%40) and saw it executing orders of magnitude slower because it was spending the vast majority of time doing that division.

I hate MSP430s. Used them in space applications (at the time, it was the 'lol FRAM is invincible logic') and ran into the same issues as above, but due to I2C. No built in CAN controller also sucked. FRAM is destructive reads, so IIRC, at least the FR5969 had a stupidly large amount of die area spent on capacitance to help not corrupt itself upon power loss.

Also -- thanks for this thread appearing! I had typed up a vague OP with a list of random archs to toss out for discussion, but it's now lost to the ages. Anyone use any of the weird Japanese market uArchs? NEC V850s were popular in automotive for a short bit of time -- I'm still fascinated by how many of those uArchs are still running around even with Cortex-M eating everything. That market tends to be insular / leverage local suppliers, so some of those are gonna be around for awhile.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CommieGIR posted:

Tried to power up the Power 770s but the HMC is toast so if I want to boot them I'll need another HMC or connect to them serially to boot

Ever get things going to the point of loading up an OS and running any benchmarks btw?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

Ever get things going to the point of loading up an OS and running any benchmarks btw?

Gonna get there, work has had me loaded down.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

movax posted:

I hate MSP430s. Used them in space applications (at the time, it was the 'lol FRAM is invincible logic') and ran into the same issues as above, but due to I2C. No built in CAN controller also sucked. FRAM is destructive reads, so IIRC, at least the FR5969 had a stupidly large amount of die area spent on capacitance to help not corrupt itself upon power loss.

Also -- thanks for this thread appearing! I had typed up a vague OP with a list of random archs to toss out for discussion, but it's now lost to the ages. Anyone use any of the weird Japanese market uArchs? NEC V850s were popular in automotive for a short bit of time -- I'm still fascinated by how many of those uArchs are still running around even with Cortex-M eating everything. That market tends to be insular / leverage local suppliers, so some of those are gonna be around for awhile.

What kinda cool space stuff did you work on? Is CAN-bus used for space applications too?

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 8, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got the Power 770's reset, added to a Virtual HMC, and got a console! Trying to boot Ubuntu from USB via the SMS menu now!

Unfortunately it seems to hang after GRUB launches. But progress! In the meantime, we've got all the resources available: 24 CPUs and 256GB of RAM. Took some troubleshooting because it wasn't bringing up both nodes originally, turns out the cross connect bridge was loose.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 9, 2021

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Port NetBSD!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This chunky fucker sucked down double my normal amps during the firmware factory reset:

Normally hovers around ~7Amps with everything running, this guy added another 7 on top of it.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

eschaton posted:

Port NetBSD!

Considering there’s a cheerful lunatic porting Slackware to Power, I’m shocked NetBSD doesn’t support it. Maybe CommieGIR can offer some level of server access to an OSS project.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 9, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

Considering there’s a cheerful lunatic porting Slackware to Power, I’m shocked NetBSD doesn’t support it. Maybe CommieGIR can offer some level of server access to an OSS project.

If anyone would like access to a Power VM, sure. Right now gotta get the disks partition and OS setup, but we're 90% of the way there.

There's also a Power8 server at work that may fall into my possession here soon.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Selklubber posted:

What kinda cool space stuff did you work on? Is CAN-bus used for space applications too?

Mostly CubeSats / small spacecraft, and then one deep-space mission before everything ran out of money. People are making rad-tolerant CAN transceivers now, so it’s gaining a bit of traction with the newer players. Other common space architectures are SPARC, and a few folks are getting ARM and RISC-V up-to-snuff to get flying. POWER of course is represented — RAD750 runs both Curiosity and Perseverance.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Anyone here know much about Intel i960? I've used a bunch of equipment built around that chip, most of which was an upgrade from the company's previous hardware platform of multiple z80-based uCs (Hitachi HD64180) and a TI TMS320C20.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

corgski posted:

Anyone here know much about Intel i960? I've used a bunch of equipment built around that chip, most of which was an upgrade from the company's previous hardware platform of multiple z80-based uCs (Hitachi HD64180) and a TI TMS320C20.

IIRC it was a victim of politics / lawsuits, but it was popular in RAID controllers, military applications and its design-intent was to support high-reliability applications by designing silicon around the expected usage of very high-level languages like Ada where memory safety, garbage collection and so on were all first class citizens.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

corgski posted:

It’s basically a RISCish 32-bit microcontroller completely unrelated to the i860. I think there were variants with MMUs but the only “computer” applications I’ve ever seen any i960 in were a couple of X terminals, otherwise they were mainly used for things like high-end storage controllers.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Huh. With that target market it seems weird that it’d find its way into an entertainment lighting controller unless they were just really obsessed with having a single chip that could do everything instead of one or more general purpose CPUs and a DSP for fast 8/16-bit integer matrix multiplication.

The equipment by the way is later revisions of the ETC Expression/Insight/Express line of lighting consoles, as well as a bunch of the same company’s architectural lighting controls.

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 9, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

JawnV6 posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ascenium-reinvent-the-cpu Ascenium Wants to Reinvent the CPU - And Kill Instruction Sets Altogether

It's not a Mill rebrand, but some of this sounds pretty nonsensical to me?

I get a kick out of showing more software oriented folks register renaming, but someone doing this since 2005 ought to have heard of it. But "data through the pipeline" isn't quite even that. Or it's a slightly different point on the Cell curve, you've got a zillion simple FPGA slices that can be configured a few ways based on workload.

Anyway, ISA's are a thing of the past, good riddance, now throw your code into the magical parallelism machine.

"The magic compiler will save us", but now with LLVM.

Anyone had luck with any of the HLL->FPGA tools? I have not been impressed.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Supposedly that’s SiFive’s bread and butter via Chris Lattner and others’ MLVM project.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Reading the wiki page for the i960 led me to the Am 29000, which I'd never heard of.

Long story short, it was AMD's flavor of Berkeley RISC, and lived long enough to grow into a superscalar design. The last iteration had some of its functional units swiped for use in the K5 architecture, which is off-topic for this thread.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

One of our vendors had a reference implementation with a really skinny ARM, pulled up the data sheet and its lowest possible current in any sleep mode was an order of magnitude over the MSP's idle current. The "investigation" took hours.

What's the smallest thing with an integrated CAN? M3 or better? When I was jobless and kinda hungry for work I asked a robot startup I'd talked with, they were having CAN gremlins and really needed that specific expertise. It sounds like a ridiculous bus, swings that would zap most stuff are the norm.

PCjr sidecar posted:

"The magic compiler will save us", but now with LLVM.

Anyone had luck with any of the HLL->FPGA tools? I have not been impressed.
Clash with the silly l? Having spent a big chunk of my career FPGA-adjacent, they're quite good at some applications but the amount of magic ascribed to them is incredible.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

movax posted:

Mostly CubeSats / small spacecraft, and then one deep-space mission before everything ran out of money. People are making rad-tolerant CAN transceivers now, so it’s gaining a bit of traction with the newer players. Other common space architectures are SPARC, and a few folks are getting ARM and RISC-V up-to-snuff to get flying. POWER of course is represented — RAD750 runs both Curiosity and Perseverance.

Oh that's cool. I like reading about space computers and stuff.
I mostly worked with PLCs, and worst case if you gently caress up the programming remotely you have to take a plane to the other side of the country to fix it. Must be exiting/assclenchingly to make stuff that can't be easily reprogrammed.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I now have an HP 3000-917LX minicomputer too.

It’s a PA-RISC 1.1 system whose design is mostly shared hardware with the HP 9000-807 server, the big differences being that the 3000 runs MPE/iX and the 9000 runs HP-UX and there’s a different primary I/O board.

128MB of RAM and 4GB of disk, which isn’t too shabby for a system built in 1991.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to fully boot it yet, it’s pretty unhappy with the contents of the NVRAM/RTC. I need to figure out how to reset those to a reasonable state from the management console before bringing up the main CPU and booting MPE/iX. I might even have to reinstall everything from scratch. Hopefully I can find the necessary stuff to do so…

MPE/iX on PA-RISC is interesting: The HP 3000 mini was a 16-bit system, and the PA-RISC variant of MPE uses a CPU emulator with mixed-mode support to run old code—including some parts of the OS! Very reminiscent of the way mixed-mode calling worked on the Power Mac, including some of the reasons why, except HP did it a few years ahead of Apple.

One weird thing about MPE: Users and directories (with no nesting) are “in” accounts, directories are called “groups,” and all of files, users, groups, and accounts can have distinct passwords.

Also, get this: Paths are backwards! The path POOPCHRT.POOPERS.BUTTHEAD indicates the file POOPCHRT in the POOPERS group in the BUTTHEAD account, which the user BEAVIS might log in to in order to update.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just discovered a Sun Ultra 10 in the crawlspace under my house. Trying to decide if I want to ask the landlord about it or just let sleeping SPARCs lie; god knows I've got enough old computer hardware around already.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Someone on Twitter found a "RISC-V High Performance Engineer" job posting from Apple -- what are they up too, I wonder...

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just discovered a Sun Ultra 10 in the crawlspace under my house. Trying to decide if I want to ask the landlord about it or just let sleeping SPARCs lie; god knows I've got enough old computer hardware around already.

Mail it to me? I could use a SPARC, if your landlord doesn’t care.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

Mail it to me? I could use a SPARC, if your landlord doesn’t care.

I don't even know if it works, and the shipping would be hells of expensive, and when I look at your avatar I worry that you might try to revive Plan 9's sparc64 kernel and that's just not good for anyone :v:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't even know if it works, and the shipping would be hells of expensive, and when I look at your avatar I worry that you might try to revive Plan 9's sparc64 kernel and that's just not good for anyone :v:

If it doesn’t work I’ll Frankenstein an x86 machine or a cluster of Pi’s into it. You can trust me! And I solemnly swear Plan 9 will not find a home there.

Heck, if you want to see if it powers on that’d be a useful first step. I’ll cover shipping if it comes down to it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

If it doesn’t work I’ll Frankenstein an x86 machine or a cluster of Pi’s into it. You can trust me! And I solemnly swear Plan 9 will not find a home there.

Heck, if you want to see if it powers on that’d be a useful first step. I’ll cover shipping if it comes down to it.

If I ask the landlord about it and he says I can have it, and if it powers up, and if I don't want to keep it myself because I have always kinda liked Sun hardware, I'll check in with you.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

It’s a deal. Thank you. :cheersbird:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

movax posted:

Someone on Twitter found a "RISC-V High Performance Engineer" job posting from Apple -- what are they up too, I wonder...

Wow. I had seen some article header about RISC-V multicore linux capable cpus and wonder if that’s what they’re getting into first perhaps. Something in the data center (no idea what) or perhaps a new wifi base station powered by one?

Oh it was the new SiFive boards and I was excited til I saw they were $999, lol.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

priznat posted:

Wow. I had seen some article header about RISC-V multicore linux capable cpus and wonder if that’s what they’re getting into first perhaps. Something in the data center (no idea what) or perhaps a new wifi base station powered by one?

Oh it was the new SiFive boards and I was excited til I saw they were $999, lol.

Newer than the Unmatched? Because those are going for a mere $680. Which is more than my alternative CPU-curious rear end can rationalize for sub-Raspberry Pi 4-class performance, but I know boutique hardware will never be cost-competitive with commodity kit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

Newer than the Unmatched? Because those are going for a mere $680. Which is more than my alternative CPU-curious rear end can rationalize for sub-Raspberry Pi 4-class performance, but I know boutique hardware will never be cost-competitive with commodity kit.

Oops weird, in my search results it said 5 days ago but the article (for the unleashed) was actually from 2018. I coulda sworn I saw some new RISC V server article pop up recently which I did a mental note to read then forgot about.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

They clearly have good ‘little’ ARM cores, but I wonder if they’re looking for something NVIDIA Falcon like, where it supports NoCs / things like that. Seems perfect to brew your own RV32/RV64 and pay $0 licensing / royalties.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

They clearly have good ‘little’ ARM cores, but I wonder if they’re looking for something NVIDIA Falcon like, where it supports NoCs / things like that. Seems perfect to brew your own RV32/RV64 and pay $0 licensing / royalties.

Yeah very interesting especially if they can stamp them into other silicon for some built in telemetry or control plane. Security processor perhaps hence the performance? Sky’s the limit really.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

Yeah very interesting especially if they can stamp them into other silicon for some built in telemetry or control plane. Security processor perhaps hence the performance? Sky’s the limit really.

Oh — duh, maybe in their baseband processors for the inevitable Apple modems!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Oh — duh, maybe in their baseband processors for the inevitable Apple modems!

Oooh yeah good call. That’d be perfect for it. I wonder if it’ll get use first on wireless chips for smaller products like the homepods (still think they should do a homepod/mesh wifi network thing) and then get rolled into 5G modems.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Why settle for the 32MB of L3 cache per chiplet that AMD offers when you could have 32MB of L2 per core instead? https://www.anandtech.com/show/16924/did-ibm-just-preview-the-future-of-caches

(Note: you only get virtual L3/L4)

Another article says that the CPU will have an on-board 6TFLOP AI accelerator. The claimed benefit is that instead of giving each core AVX512 instructions, you concentrate all that logic into one accelerator which any core can access.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's going to cause some interesting stall situations. Imagine you have 16 threads (as in pre-emptive multitasking execution threads, not simultaneous multithreading logical processors) that all want to access the AI accelerator and now need to schedule what order they each get to run their code in. Now you need to worry about saving/flushing/uploading/restoring state between each invocation, across each core, including situations where now you need to save and flush your thread's AI accelerator state to memory because there are 15 other threads ahead of you in the accelerator's work queue and you can't just idle because there's other non-accelerator-touching code to be executed.

I've not really been a fan of AVX because of the power/thermals/clock speed implications it has but losing 100 MHz on your all-core turbo when an AVX instruction enters the pipeline is preferable to having to completely re-juggle your scheduled threads in the event that one thread needs more linear time chugging away at a parallel vector math problem, because now processor X is hogging the AI accelerator and processors A through F are waiting for it to finish up and release the lock on the accelerator or process its job instead of just being able to do 8xFP64 FMAs in a normal ISA extension instruction that executes in series with the rest of the code. I suppose in an incredibly optimized environment it could have some excellent advantages because the CPU cores can be munching on some data returned from the AI accelerators in the integer/ALU path while they wait for their next AI job to be executed but since my low-level field of expertise is primarily in the memory/ALU space and not in the SIMD/vector space I'm not really sure what the difference is between this and an on-chip GPU that has no video output and only accepts compute shaders other than not having to deal with the overhead of needing to compile generic compute shader code to the shader cores' machine language.

(Disclaimer: I do not do kernel-level task scheduling algorithms for a living, just for fun. There are people who actually know more about this than I do and have written papers on it. I am just some dick who writes weird custom kernel poo poo for fun.)

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Pham Nuwen posted:

I refurbished my Ultra 10 two years ago and played around with the different BSD flavours. Eventually I went back to Solaris 9 (to have proper hardware acceleration on the Creator3D card)... it's a fun machine to doodle around with and I boot it up whenever I'm in the mood for some C coding.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

movax posted:

Negotiating leverage for when the acquisition closes and Jensen needs to boost his spatula budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

Negotiating leverage for when the acquisition closes and Jensen needs to boost his spatula budget.

Lol I was wondering what the ARM royalties are like for Apple, so they have fixed ones they have to re-up after x years or is it more fluid? They have got to be one of the biggest licensees of it.