Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm afraid to get those because I like getting the rare one in the regular bag and I think that might be being too greedy. The hubris of man.

Go for it. You know you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If it helps any, they're NOT quite as seasoned as the ones you get in the regular mix.
They're more of a plain rye chip, or at least were on the last occasion I got them 47 seconds ago and then 1121 seconds prior to that, your t..ti..time they are.

Less, seasoned. Less cultivated, you...wouldn't understand

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

uh, oak milk? Is that a thing now too?

its good

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
First I head to the bathroom, do my business, and wash my hands. Then I get a paper towel to dry my hands and then fold it up and pocket it. Now I have a moist towelette for later.

In my old heavy carb days I would get 2 bottles of Gatorade, preferring blue frost (I am likely hung over at the start). I'd get a big bag of spicy nacho Doritos and two buffalo chicken rollerbites in a paper sleeve.

In my low carb style of today I get a zero sugar added Muscle Milk (I stopped drinking so no hangover), two hot dogs in a sleeve, and Tom's hot pork rinds.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

if it is a nicer store and they have Hunt Brothers pizza that looks like it was actually made that day, i might grab a slice
A fresh slice is good. An old slice is not food but rather a blunt weapon.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Since I'm the one driving, I always go for some form of caffeine. In cold/cool weather, my standby is coffee, black. But in the summer, I'll go for something cool. If they have a Stok dispenser, I'll do that. Otherwise, a bottled Starbucks drink from the cooler.

Then, some kind of food ranging from pastry to candy bar. Since I'm driving, I don't want something messy, so something like muffins are right out. If I'm in the mood for candy, it's a Snickers bar. Sometimes it's a cereal bar like Golden Grams or Lucky Charms.

But lately my convenience store junk food of choice is something from Steve's Snacks in Maine (https://www.stevessnacks.com/). Their whoopie pies are all amazing, but maple is my favorite and in VT the variety they put in stores is maple, chocolate, red velvet, and double chocolate. However, the closer you are to their HQ in Maine, you'll see other varieties. Last year in Conway, NH I tried the orange and loved it. I've been mildly tempted to place an order to try the lemon and coconut.

But what they don't show on their web site is another sandwich they make consisting of two cookies with the same whoopie pie filling inbetween. Holy hell thee are awesome and I've had both the varieties that I've seen: chocolate chip and oatmeal/raisin. The former is good, but can be crumbly. The latter is not crumbly at all and amazing. I could probably mainline them.

That's usually it for my typically 6 hour drive to visit my in laws.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I tend to go for a couple cans of Vienna sausages and slurp them down while I drive. Low carb baby! Goes well with a nice tall milk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Gross.

----------------

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I think I posted this in another thread, maybe the soda one? But the best drink strat for a gas station/convenience store is:

Grab the stupid huge bigass cup

2-4 "airplane bottles" of single serve liquor. The place I go to always has cheap Jim Beam Devil's Cut (90 proof). Covertly pour them into the bigass cup and look over your shoulder at the cashier like they are an FBI informant.

Squirt of vanilla, either from the soda fountain or the coffee station.

Fill your bigass cup with 1/3 ice.

Fill the rest with your choice of Coke, Dr. Pepper, or Root Beer.

That's a lot of drunk, and very palatable, for the price!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I think I posted this in another thread, maybe the soda one? But the best drink strat for a gas station/convenience store is:

2-4 "airplane bottles" of single serve liquor. The place I go to always has cheap Jim Beam Devil's Cut (90 proof). Covertly pour them into the bigass cup and look over your shoulder at the cashier like they are an FBI informant.

insanely sick strat

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

WITCHCRAFT posted:

And then you just hop in the car and hit the interstate yeah?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

First of all, as an alcoholic, lmao forever at '2 airplane bottles/shots' and the words "That's a lotta drunk" used together. If I was still actively drinking 2-4 of those little bottles would make a nice appetizer before I decided to get a slight buzz.
Secondly, never put vanilla syrup in anything that poo poo is loving disgusting. If anything, here, maybe mix sprite/7-up with a lime slushie to get a fiz one going, or just straight up do cherry coke in your cup.
Thirdly, don't loving do this if you're driving, c'mon.

In short literally all of that is an awful and stupid way to do what you're suggesting.

----------------

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Big Beef City posted:

First of all, as an alcoholic, lmao forever at '2 airplane bottles/shots' and the words "That's a lotta drunk" used together. If I was still actively drinking 2-4 of those little bottles would make a nice appetizer before I decided to get a slight buzz.
Secondly, never put vanilla syrup in anything that poo poo is loving disgusting. If anything, here, maybe mix sprite/7-up with a lime slushie to get a fiz one going, or just straight up do cherry coke in your cup.
Thirdly, don't loving do this if you're driving, c'mon.

In short literally all of that is an awful and stupid way to do what you're suggesting.

Hey, he never said he’s driving. Every good road trip needs a cheap date riding shotgun.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
It is fine for the navigator to get a good buzz, it keeps them calm while doing their job on a road trip. im not being sarcastic at all. when the driver starts flipping out about what turn to make or what exit/onramp to take, a calm cool navigator is essential

Like Maverick and Goose

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
personally i dont think u shuold drink while inside a car at all, but thats just me.. and also... THE LAW

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
unless ur in a limo, which i am, right now. on my way to the red carpet and then to the private airport to fly my cessna to the vineyard. :byewhore:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

:hmmyes:

I drink straight whiskey and fill a tumbler completely. I drink that before I drink my next one. And the one after that.

----------------

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:hmmyes:

I drink straight whiskey and fill a tumbler completely. I drink that before I drink my next one. And the one after that.

seems not great. lets not turn this thread into Alcoholism Chat, as i do not like it. :thanks:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hey heres a strat, fill that big rear end cup with nacho cheese

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hey heres a strat, fill that big rear end cup with nacho cheese

you could use a taquito as a straw

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm going to do my part for the environment.
...no straw for me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Smythe posted:

personally i dont think u shuold drink while inside a car at all, but thats just me.. and also... THE LAW

It's considered no different than open liquor in public here, always be car beerin' as a passenger.

G'head, fine me!

----------------

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

I'm going to do my part for the environment.
...no straw for me.

Turtles can't choke on taquito straws.

----------------

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's considered no different than open liquor in public here, always be car beerin' as a passenger.

G'head, fine me!
My grandfather was a huge guy, well over 6 feet tall, grew up on a farm in the 1930s, and for 20 years worked hauling logs to mills. From the looks of him alone, you'd have to be stupid to mess with him. One hot summer day in the 1950s a friend needed something in Canada and didn't have a way to get there. My grandfather loaded the wife and kids in the back seat, his friend sat in the front passenger seat, and they drove to Quebec to get whatever it was. On the way back, grandpa was thirsty so he went into a store and came back with drinks and snacks for grandma, my father and aunt. For himself and his friend, he had two six packs of beer. He opened a bottle, handed the six packs to his friend, and started driving. The friend admonished my grandfather with "I don't think we should be drinking and driving".

Genuinely progressive attitude for the 1950s! And admirable even ignoring a) my grandfather's size, b) that he spent weekends drinking so he had a high tolerance, and c) that it's doubtful that even 1950s Quebec beer was significantly higher in ABV than American, much less modern "craft" beers. I'd bet money that my grandfather would have no problem downing a six pack from Montreal to Addison county, Vermont without impairment.

I'm not sure what the smart move would have been at that point. If the friend passed the beer to the backseat, surely my grandmother would have dutifully handed my grandfather another bottle as he asked for one. If the friend got out of the car with the intention of putting them in the trunk, I could see my grandfather getting pissed and just driving off. The move that was made was this: once my grandfather started the driving in earnest, the friend, shouted, "I said, we're not going to drink on the drive home!" and tossed the beer out the open window of the moving car.

My grandmother put her head on her hand. Grandpa finished his lone beer and completed the remaining several hour drive in utter silence. Once they got to his friends house, grandpa got out, courteously opened the passenger door, pulled his friend out, and beat the poo poo out of him for throwing out his beer.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
mmm, if its gonna be a few hours and multiple people like any good road trip I'm gonna say
-a few soda bottles
-couple of waters or juice
-big beef jerky bag or 2
-some kind of chip snack (pringles, doritos, etc)
-maybe some hot food like a taquito/pizza slice/one of those chicken burgers like am-pm has
-something sweet, depends on the mood if its fruity or chocolatey

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bag of cool ranch Doritos, bottle of water and a vanilla diet coke.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
has anybody said "a trip to the glory hole" yet? if you slip some money through the hole that counts as a purchase

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Maybe this question needs its own thread but do you take the paper off a slim jim before you eat it

----------------

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What paper?

----------------

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
The paper around the slim jims.

----------------

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I don't think that's a thing, but if you wanna peel your slim jims that's fine

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ny daily news

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

One time I was at a Flying J that was just over the Grapevine and I could have sworn the dude at the urinal next to me was Snoop Dogg. It probably wasn't.

Like 8 years later I bought a grapefruit Topo Chico at that same Flying J. Do what you will with that info.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Payment Day posted:

The paper around the slim jims.

That's not paper. That's the edible casing that I've never in my life heard of anyone removing. That would be so incredibly messy.

Do you open it with a knife like a vanilla bean and scrape out the inside? I'm so confused.

The casing snaps, hence:

----------------

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Payment Day posted:

Maybe this question needs its own thread but do you take the paper off a slim jim before you eat it

Is a Slim Jim an all-meat tamale? I don't think this particular variation of "is a poptart a ravioli?" has been asked before.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

No, listen, my dudes

Honey buns

Especially on those cold morning you have the defroster running, pop those bad boys on the dash to get 'em hot, they're loving delicious.

Also, energy drinks because it's too goddamn early - I recommend a random flavor of 5 Hour Energy washed down with a Full Throttle Blue Agave. Trail mix and sunflower seeds. Gatoraide cool blue and strawberry. A couple of Zero bars for a pick-me-up later. Pack of wet wipes, you'll be grateful later when you have to poo poo and the gas station/restaurant you pick only has John Wayne toilet paper - it's rough, it's tough, it doesn't take poo poo off no one.

Everyone piss now, we got 900 miles to go and I ain't stopping in every town.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

Honey buns

I thought this was the "what people buy from convenience stores before a road trip" thread, not the "what people buy from commissary for use as currency in prison" thread lol

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Chewy candy is crucial. LaffyTaffy (Ideally you have a passenger to read the jokes for you), maybe something like Starburst, or if I'm lucky and its available, BitOHoney. Other than that, jerky, smokes, and the biggest water bottle they have.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

rndmnmbr posted:

No, listen, my dudes

Honey buns

Especially on those cold morning you have the defroster running, pop those bad boys on the dash to get 'em hot, they're loving delicious.

Also, energy drinks because it's too goddamn early - I recommend a random flavor of 5 Hour Energy washed down with a Full Throttle Blue Agave. Trail mix and sunflower seeds. Gatoraide cool blue and strawberry. A couple of Zero bars for a pick-me-up later. Pack of wet wipes, you'll be grateful later when you have to poo poo and the gas station/restaurant you pick only has John Wayne toilet paper - it's rough, it's tough, it doesn't take poo poo off no one.

Everyone piss now, we got 900 miles to go and I ain't stopping in every town.

This is a good and powerful post. Agree with everything. Especially Zero bars. I don't think we have a candy bar thread, but lots of people would like Zero bars if they knew WTF it is. It is a grandpa Snickers that was invented in 1920. It has all the Snickers parts, but each one is a little different from a regular Snickers. If you like Snickers you will almost surely enjoy a Zero.

(white) chocolate shell
caramel
peanut/almond
nougat

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Idk I just kept thinking about how this Op will be the opening scene roleplay of my next Elder Scrolls game playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Especially Zero bars.

Zero bars, Whatchamacallits, 100 Grands, giant chewy SweeTarts, Peanut M&Ms. Kings of my candy basket.