Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
JULIA VS PENELOPE 3 3.26%
HANDICAP MATCH 16 17.39%
CEZAR VS PRETTY ORANGE 43 46.74%
ELITE VS ELITE HUNTER, SKELETON AND KING 25 27.17%
CODY AND BROCK VS FACTORY 2 2.17%
CAGE FIGHT 3 3.26%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

smarxist posted:

that show was loving great, my face hurt from laughing by the end of wingmen vs best friends and i hope we have a feud on our hands

orange cassidy deserves better than a feud with the Dark jobbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Aye Doc posted:

The Wingmen are fun and it keeps Orange on TV in a low stakes way for a week before AEW returns to normal time slots and touring.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

You're right, The Wingmen should be on Dynamite more.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it was the dregs of the tapings they couldn't use for dark or elevation. But like the dregs of a premium shelf coffee, its a guilty pleasure best enjoyed rarely.

I thought it was a good episode cleverly edited together. One thing I appreciate about this new era of closed set wrestling is they're allowed a lot more production leeway. So they could things like open with a stupid cage match. That Wardlow stupidly lost. Don't get silly with a can crusher Wardlow, don't you have an MMA background. They tell you about these things. Matt Sera is screaming at you Wardlow. He's crying. Why did you make Matt Sera cry Wardlow?

Er, anyway, was also suprised by the Penelope Ford/Julia Hart match. It was very much structured in a japanese style junior vs senior match. I'd remarked in discord that Penelope had to act that hard because Julia brought her whole crew and Penelope is alone. Sometimes when some fool with a crew starts frontin, you gotta break their arm to make sure everyone knows which way the wind pisses.

The Kenny/Jungle Boy segments have been fantastic. Kenny's gone drugged out lunatic to just a straight up dickhead.

The Cody stuff needs to go to dark. what nonsense.

Also seriously, Gallows can afford to eat a pinfall. That tat on the back of his neck even says BIG FUCKIN JOBBER if you zoom in. Quit with the silly bullshit.

the Best Friends/Wingmen stuff should have ended Dynamite.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

Orange only gains by being in comedy matches so that the stakes are higher when it comes around to the main event.

His gimmick has the very real risk of becoming overexposed at the main event level, so dropping him down or keeping him the background periodically increases his longevity.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Seems weird that we know more matches for Dynamite on the 30th than we do for Dynamite on the 26th.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
"the cleaner", kenny omega is gonna come out and put on a 45 minute masterpiece with jack "jungle boy" perry - no wonder they can't announce that many matches

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
cody ditching his wife and hours-old child for a tag team match with a pro golfer rules. he loves the business and loves us

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

:wrong:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

"the cleaner", kenny omega is gonna come out and put on a 45 minute masterpiece with jack "jungle boy" perry - no wonder they can't announce that many matches

please, he's going to go broadway with the kid

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
best friends feuding with the wingmen is gonna be incredible and im ashamed of anyone who is doubting it

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I Before E posted:

The show starts at 8 though, it's not a 3 hour Dynamite

I got confused about times. I apparently decided to take Wednesday and Friday and split the difference.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dynamite thoughts:

- MMA fight sucked, it was bad pro wrestling and bad MMA

- Kazarian's promo was hella dope and the main event was another fun clusterfuck

- I like that Darby's self hot-tag is now an established character trait

- Not getting the love for OC/Cezar at all, it wasn't that good a comedy match

- I really dug the natural flow from Julia/Penelope to the Miro/Pillman brawl, that match is gonna be fun

- The Dark Order are the most wholesome stable in wrestling :3:

- MJF/Sammy is a PPV worthy match, goddam

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Rarity posted:

lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yeah that FTR/PnP package was A++

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WatermelonGun posted:

cody ditching his wife and hours-old child for a tag team match with a pro golfer rules. he loves the business and loves us

Very rude of commentary to not even congratulate him on his new baby :thunkher:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am glad to see PnP finally getting an angle to shine in. They were getting a bit buried in all the Inner Circle drama for a while, but at least for now they get to be babyfaces in their own story.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
really curious about how they'll book Sammy / MJF, i feel like I'd rather MJF go over clean than a hosed finish if he has to be protected some more, but it'll probably be another ring shot

production had some good shots this week of Wardog behind MJF really rattled by everything, so who knooooows

Wardlow is a warrior not a heel and it's starting to grate on him

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rarity posted:

The Wingmen's schtick was pure-vein wrestling nonsense gold, OC was a great foil for it. And we love Best Friends on general principle.
Shame that Cezar Bononi isn't very good at wrestling though.

As for the rest of the show; really I was too distracted with bullshit on my mind to pay attention to most of it, aside from my weekly Elite gripes.
I just gotta say, the comeuppance better be earthshaking.
Like Mount Rushmore 2.0 Guerrila Warfare earthshaking.
Schiavone jumping out of the announce booth and tackling Don as he runs down to interfere.
Britt braining Don with the mic when he gets up and goes to attack Tony.
A dozen dudes backstage beating the poo poo out of Good Brothers and kicking them out of the building because everybody is done with a couple of outsiders wrecking poo poo in their company.
Aubrey kicking Rick Knox in the tenderness and taking over as ref.
Dark Order dragging The Young Bucks away. A returning Anna Jay chokes out Matt, the others shave Nick Bald. Their clothes get ripped apart.

That sort of poo poo. If you're going to go this hard on antagonizing me it's going to take more than an Adam Page victory lap with the belt to achieve catharsis.

Kenny and the Bucks come out the next night and try to fire everybody, Cody comes out and has his first good feud in like 2 years. (Optional)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sammy should go over because he is cool and good and a star and MJF is a buttlicker

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Hager and Wardlow walk to the ring. I like this presentation.

1) Wardlow vs Jake Hager. OK, this ring looks good. Spears takes the role of cornerman well. gently caress, Wardlow is great. Huge pop for Aubrey as ref. Lots of dancing round to start. They make this feel different. Hager gets the early advantage, which makes sense, but Wardlow counters well. Wardlow doing the Superman punch off the cage was good. Hager is getting owned in this second round. Eventually he turns it round. Things get a bit Wrestling as it goes along. And then Wardlow... passes out? Boo. Didn't hate the match but didn't like the finish. The post match was good though. And Dean Malenko gets punched out by MJF.

Penta, Kaz, and Kingston. Hell of a Kaz promo. Hell of a promo overall.

Team Taz group promo. Hook's hair. Hangman vs Hobbs, I can dig it.

2) Men of the Year vs Darby Allin. Darby is the 2000 breakout star of the year apparently. Allin and Page pair so well. Page is so good at yeeting him around the ring. Darby is just getting murdered this whole time. It makes him look feisty but it doesn't necessarily make the match fun. Darby's fightback is good and the zip tie spot is effective. I end up liking this match but I would like a Page / Allin match more.

3) Orange Cassidy vs Cezar Bononi. As one of the forum's Bononi stans, I'm looking forward to this. Toney, the common thread with the Wingmen is that they're hunks. Cassidy gets smacked around and spray tanned. Bononi has fake tan on his shoulder and Cassidy is in Honk's jacket. This is fun more than it's good. The Best Friends Assisted Tope was great. Bononi is improving. Drake gets booped. Silly stuff.

Wait... Right at the end Cassidy puts on Avalon's glasses! The Honks got him!

Kenny interrupts a Jungle Boy interview. Offers Jungle Boy a free shot. Nak sucker punches Jungle Boy. Okay.

Hardy Family Office interview. They lock Christian in a cage.

4) Cody Rhodes and BROCK... Anderson vs QT Marshall and Aaron Solow. Brock Anderson looks like a meathead good guy on a CW show. Solow is a great chickenshit bully. I'm more sold on Marshall than most people. Brock is... Well, he's a guy in his first match. He's not bad, and he takes a beating well, but it's clear that his role here is to absorb punishment until Cody hot tags. I hope that being in this faction doesn't bury Solow too much. I liked Cody's drop into the Figure 4. Ugh, not a fan of Brock getting the pin.

I've figured out one of my problems with Cody feuds. He doesn't allow himself or his allies to to be put in a situation where someone has a fair advantage over him. People can only beat him by cheating or numbers. That doesn't make him look strong, it makes his opponents look weak. And I don't like that.

Andrade interview. God, he's charismatic. He's in the Shot Of Brandi kitchen. I love him code switching English and Spanish. Kept mysterious tweener energy well.

Hangmin and the Dark Order. Hangman dodges questions about Kenny and praises Five's all right jacket. This is fun.

5) Penelope Ford vs Julia Hart. Penelope looks good and does a jumping splits. Hey, Julia does that! Penelope does some good Mean Girl bullying here. This is a workmanlike, storyless match. It's fine, but God do I miss stories in the women's division. Penelope's Indian Death Lock looks great, by the way.

Oh, and here's Miro. HERE'S the story of this match. Oh, I LOVE this. Miro claiming Penelope then setting up a Griff or Brian match. Love this.

Toney interviews Britt, Vickie interrupts and isn't good, but sets up the Nyla match. It's all going well until... Britt and Rebel vs Nyla and Vickie. loving ugh.

FTR and P&P video package. I really want this match.

Jade and Mark Sterling package. She's sponsored by the Toronto Four Seasons. OK, sure, that's funny.

6) Penta, Kaz, and Kingston vs Good Brothers and Matt Jackson. Hahaha, Matt looks like such a fuckwad. This is a predictably good garbage trios match. All these guys are good wrestlers who wrestle well against each other. I just wish I could escape the feeling that this is a holding pattern. But for a holding pattern this is pretty great. Jackson and Good Bros victory was expected, and that's fine.

Perfectly fine episode, but largely procedural.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
X-posting, the Good Brothers are now pulling triple duty

https://twitter.com/NJPWofAmerica/status/1406084325313966082

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

Sammy should go over because he is cool and good and a star and MJF is a buttlicker

Also Sammy should go over because having the babyfaces sweep the singles (plus FTR/P&P) is how you end a feud centered around two factions.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WatermelonGun posted:

All the Friday shows were pre-taped before crowds returned. He only ditched his pregnant wife.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the ringside makeover shouldve brainwashed OC into becoming a honk

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Seams posted:

the ringside makeover shouldve brainwashed OC into becoming a honk

they have videos online to this effect if that's what you're looking for

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Alaois posted:

they have videos online to this effect if that's what you're looking for

is this like the dude version of bimbofication or something

anyway big fan of BROCK anderson's massive tights.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Rarity posted:

- I like that Darby's self hot-tag is now an established character trait

I'm hearing self hot tag in my head in DDP's voice like the "Self. High. Five." at the beginning of his old entrance music.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
andrade is going to make los ingobernables de jacksonville and i cant wait

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Seams posted:

is this like the dude version of bimbofication or something

It's like no one's heard of himbos any more

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

It's like no one's heard of himbos any more

And yet Griff is right there.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just realized Brodie totally gave Griff the rub with his rage addled inquiry, what a charmed man just blessing everyone he came in contact with :rip:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lotsa good promos in this dynamite. andrade, jake, kaz etc.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The more I think about it, the better that Andrade promo was. I loved the language switching and the emphasis it added. Dude is going to be superhot in AEW.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Zombie Lemur posted:

I'm hearing self hot tag in my head in DDP's voice like the "Self. High. Five." at the beginning of his old entrance music.

That was intentional when I started phrasing it that way, yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Los Ingobernables de Elite is gonna be the coolest faction

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/Takesoup/status/1406124430124732416

Give the people what they want Tony.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

The more I think about it, the better that Andrade promo was. I loved the language switching and the emphasis it added. Dude is going to be superhot in AEW.

This is the man who taught Tetsuya Naito how to get over, he's gonna tear the goddamn house down before even having a single match.

Also a lot of good promos this week, I gotta say. FTR and PnP pulled off a top-tier performance too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I can’t wait for the Charlotte show. The fiancée got us VIP tickets and I am giddy as heck about it. :dance:

I can’t wait to LIGHT THE FUSE in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Jake the Snake's iridescent new teeth.