Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

Okay so specifically: WTYP doesn't work because you've got donoteat going patiently through some disaster while Alice and the other guy shout jokes at him, and it's like watching someone try to build a wall while being pelted with baseballs.

you're entitled to your opinion and all but you described a v. funny thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

Okay uh form the sake of this analogy assume that you really like walls, and you want it finished because it will keep the Mongols away from your fields or something

that would be bad then! :ohdear:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the CIA probably killed JFK in the same way you say any political figure 'did' any tragedy that happened under them, they probably had no actual hand in the action itself but through either cartoonish ineptitude or much more realistic apathy on the topic they did nothing to stop it as it barreled closer and closer, and were incredibly eager to exploit the fallout for personal gain. Like, yea, Oswald shot Kenney, that was not good, but there were people at play who continue to actively profit and benefit from that and I think if we're talking about 'who did what' that conversation is a lot more important than just 'who pulled the trigger'.

Also unironically HW Bush probably like...knew what was going down, he probably didn't make it happen but he knew what was coming.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea tbh the one genuine 'Oswald did not put a bullet inside Kennedy's brain' thing I kinda half believe is the secret service one because it actually does sync up and yea no poo poo the government will never admit that 'lol woopsie doopsie we accidentally noscoped the president'.

But yea the 'the CIA killed Kennedy' is really more 'the CIA was very happy Kennedy died and if they knew something was happening that'd put him in danger at the time they probably would have rather not acted on it'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
as a non-brit I really dug that episode too. I think I picked up a bit about Vine through general osmosis (and probably seeing clips of him without realizing it) so I wasn't completely lost and yea hearing a dude with his job be actually quite open about the weirder/more annoying parts of his job mixed with genuinely funny poo poo like segues loving up and all was really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Vine is a weird one for non brits to contextualise, it's sort of like a morning phone-in show, but with elements of Springer / Dr Phil tabloid baiting, and also whereas Springer's ultimate moral message is usually 'learn from these people's mistakes and be kind to each other,' Vine's is more of a right-leaning 'this country is going to the dogs and we all need to toughen up / stop doing ridiculous things like [topic of the day].'

Also weird how often it'll swing from the thing ruining Britain being pedophile gangs or police underfunding one day, and the next it's light up trainers or fidget spinners.

I will say I think you have a very kind view of Springer/Phil if you think we're meant to take compassion from their shows, I think we just share a cultural freak show point of reference with them and Vine, though it sounds like Vine is more political/cultural based than 'MY DAUGHTER hosed MY NEW HUSBAND???????????' so...I guess that's a point.