Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's also 10k posts, which is Hussein and Pheobe talking about internet stuff, but like with Masters of our Domain it's usually funniest when they're just doing the intro riffing or pointing and laughing about funny twitter stuff. A lot of the time when they get stuck into the main focus of the episode it kind of drifts and I realise my attention has wandered.

Depends if you want funny or interesting I guess. TF usually maintains a decent balance between the two. I still think KJB is probably my favourite extended universe podcast, but anything with Milo on usually slaps.

I might subscribe to the MoD patreon just for the 9/11 script reading and the Prince of Thieves episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/rocknrolga/status/1417870882387730435?s=19

Is it just me, or does it sound sort of like they just created their own, seperate trashfuture?

E2: looks like the first version of the tweet was deleted but linked straight to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/human-error

quote:

New technology podcast, Human Error, launches on BBC Sounds

Presented by comedian Olga Koch and journalist Hussein Kesvani, Human Error podcast will get listeners up to speed with the state of technology today while drawing upon the knowledge of relevant experts.

Published: 2:00 pm, 21 July 2021
Updated: 1:59 pm, 21 July 2021

Hussein and Olga will explore the biggest, most interesting and surprising tech stories as well as examining the unforeseen effects technological breakthroughs have had on communities across the world.

Human Error will take a deep dive into the tech world, covering topics such as; the world of bio-hacking, hate speech within gaming culture, the job of online moderators, the future and ethics of facial recognition software, the ways in which technology improves our health, wars taking place online rather than with violence, online anonymity and technology and the environment.

Olga says: “Oftentimes tech entrepreneurs spend a lot of time wondering whether or not they could, without stopping to think if they should. In Human Error, Hussein Kesvani, the Jeff Goldblum of the podcasting world, and I, the Jeff Goldblum of the stand-up circuit, finally stop to ask if they should. I sincerely hope listeners will enjoy our podcast as it answers hard-hitting questions like, what happens if you wi-fi enable your dog?”

Hussein says: “Human Error is a show about the weird, hilarious and unexpected effects of the technology we use, abuse and abandon in our everyday lives, and what it tells us about how we live as a society. If you find yourself up at night asking, ‘What happened to Microsoft Clippy?’ and ‘Will my Bluetooth Hoover turn on me in my sleep?’ It’s a must-listen.”

Human Error is a Daddy’s SuperYacht Production for BBC Sounds.

Human Error trailer is available to listen to here.

Episode 1 of Human Error will be available on BBC Sounds from Wednesday 28 July.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 21, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Same, but the Cars 2 episode where they were going off on the bits about "So if there is a car Pope who wears a crucifix, that means there was a car Jesus... And a car inquisition."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1428576274730168332?s=19

I would not be surprised to find this mentioned on the next free one.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

10k is an odd one, because they do make good analysis of posting, but the Owen Jones episode was deeply weird because they kept asking questions and then going on huge, long answers themselves and barely involving Jones at all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Like so many things in life, improv is fine if it's done well. But the vast bulk of it is not done well and is absolutely self-indulgent and embarrassing, and that seems to be what they're mocking.

Milo also seems to hate it with a passion and has occasionally brought it up on trashfuture.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://tenthousandposts.podbean.com/e/something-awful-this-way-comes-ft-nate-bethea/

quote:

Something Awful This Way Comes ft. Nate Bethea

This week, Nate (@inthesedeserts) comes back on the Posts Pod to tell us about some internet history, and this little forum you might have heard of called "Something Awful". Following the death of Something Awful's founder, "Lowtax", Nate tells us how the forums shaped much of contemporary internet culture, ranging from terms like 'doxxing' and the ubiquity of trolls, to Lolcats, gifs, and uh, a lot of racism and Nazi insignia. But, it did also give us Dril, so who's to say if it was good or bad???

Sempai has noticed us.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vine is a weird one for non brits to contextualise, it's sort of like a morning phone-in show, but with elements of Springer / Dr Phil tabloid baiting, and also whereas Springer's ultimate moral message is usually 'learn from these people's mistakes and be kind to each other,' Vine's is more of a right-leaning 'this country is going to the dogs and we all need to toughen up / stop doing ridiculous things like [topic of the day].'

Also weird how often it'll swing from the thing ruining Britain being pedophile gangs or police underfunding one day, and the next it's light up trainers or fidget spinners.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dr. Phil I've only seen clips on facebook and he seems like a small-minded pleb goader, lecturing people.

Springer at least takes the opportunity to say at the end of the episode to "be kind to each other, and yourselves." The difference is that with Springer it's generally the guests calling each other a piece of poo poo, whereas with Dr. Phil it's the host calling the guest a piece of poo poo.

Vine is somewhere along that spectrum, absolutely knowing that most of his guests are going to make the callers piss boil (which is why he has Owen Jones on so much), and that the angry callers are going to make some great TV while he sits back and pretends to be above it all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1571164728017264650?t=RbC9IkiI7eJtKZo6kptSWw&s=19

This should be interesting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A few times a day, my brain will remind me of the name "Barnabas Borbly" and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever know peace again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

simple as

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/teejaye84/status/1639470671351672832?t=ez6xU-GBy-4Q2IB6xOpyNQ&s=19

Tier 1 interaction, no notes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When I first started listening, he sounded exactly like one of the guys from Penny Arcade, so until I happened to see a photo I was imagining a huge bald guy, and it was kind of weird to eventually see what he does look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do the layers get wider at the bottom and narrower at the top? Impossible to say, really.