Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Let’s talk about podcasts.

Here’s a better OP of good pods that are cast from pantlesswithwolves

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I completely missed that SMEGA_MAIL had made their own podcast thread while I was working on the OP for my own. So, here's the content from my OP before McNally gasses mine:

Updated Regularly
Lions Led by Donkeys: Apple Podcasts, Spotify An irreverent military history podcast led by Joe Kassabian. Mixed with equal parts shittalking humor, good research skills and great writing, Kassabian retells some of the biggest military blunders in a fun and compelling way.
What a Hell of a Way to Die: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Two disgruntled Army vets talk about current events from the perspective of their service in a way that wouldn’t be out of place in our monthly CE thread.
Popular Front: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Hosted by Jake Hanrahan, Popular Front looks different elements of modern conflict/war and brings on guests who are knowledgeable about the topic at hand.
QAnon Anonymous: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Blending humor with excellent research skills and occasionally on the ground journalism, QAnon Anonymous has covered the whole QAnon bullshit since its inception. Now that Q hasn’t posted in months, the show has increasingly focused on following up on key players and the batshit insane directions this already batshit insane “movement” has taken.
Behind the Bastards: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Hosted by potentially soon-to-be-former goon and current Special Activities Division operator (according to CSPAM I guess) Robert Evans, this show tells the story of some of the worst people in history, ranging from mere war criminals to modern tech bros.
The Dirtbag Diaries: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Combining rich storytelling with a wonderful subject matter, the Dirtbag Diaries tells its listeners and contributors’ stories of outdoor adventures and mishaps in a fun and engaging way. You don’t have to be a backpacker, mountain biker, rafter or climber to appreciate this show, but it certainly helps.
Reply All Apple Podcasts, Spotify A podcast that mostly deals about the intersection of technology and society, often in very funny ways. Recently underwent a major :hooboy: moment of its own but is now back to updating pretty regularly. The older material is still well worth listening to.
Bikes or Death: Apple Podcasts, Spotify I hesitated to post this one given its somewhat niche subject matter, but if you’re into bikepacking or bike touring, this is a great podcast that not only has a lot of good information in it, but also features some of the biggest names in the sport right now talking with the host as if they’re old friends, and in many cases they are.
Backpacker Radio: Apple Podcasts, Spotify A podcast all about backpacking and outdoor adventures. The hosts are decent, but the guest stars are where it really shines.
Worst Year Ever: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Join host Robert Evans as he lends his years of experience as a grizzled SAD operator to his incredulous succdem lib cohosts as they dissect current events. This one can be hit or miss and frankly is more dependent on the quality of the guest than the interplay between the hosts, but more often than not, there are great perspectives and insider information offered here.
Well There’s Your Problem: Apple Podcasts, Spotify A leftist podcast about engineering disasters. Admittedly this one hasn’t grabbed me as quickly as its high reviews suggest that it would, but the hosts seem to really know their poo poo.

Updated Periodically
Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Recently described as not a podcast but an audiobook updated quarterly, Hardcore History tells the stories of history’s most cataclysmic events in a long, gripping and captivating way. Archival material goes back to 2013 and it’s definitely worth the listen if you have an interest in history.
Q Clearance: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Hosted by Popular Front’s Jake Hanrahan, this show could be seen as the Cliffs Notes to QAnon Anonymous by looking at critical moments in the Q Anon saga. The first season examines the origin of Q Anon, the second season (ongoing as of late June 2021) looks at how diehard Q believers have been acting since the January 6 CHUD attack on the Capitol.
Spooked Apple Podcasts, Spotify sSpoOooOokY stories about g-g-g-g-ghosts! Probably the best scary stories podcast out there, with listener submitted tails and excellent production values. Apparently there’s more content available if you pay for it via the Luminosity app, but what’s freely available is a lot of fun.
Bundyville Apple Podcasts, Spotify A (to date) two-season podcast about the Bundy family and their intersections with/motivation of the far right in the US. Really good, albeit somewhat terrifying, listening.
Scene on Radio: Apple Podcasts, Spotify This is a long-form podcast that examines a different topic in each of its four seasons (to date), including whiteness, masculinity and the entire concept of American democracy. This is thought-provoking and at times difficult to listen to, but it’s good stuff. c

Two of my favorites of What A Hell Of A Way to Die and Behind the Bastards. Hell of a way to die is a vaguely leftist podcast by a bunch of former army types talking about various military dumbassery. They also share a lot of crossover with Lions Led By Donkeys which is about the great military gently caress ups of history. They also did a great collab with goon train podcast Well There’s Your Problem about the V-22

Behind the Bastards is a comedy history podcast with Robert Evans, also a now inactive TFR goon. It’s about Bastards of history, at first mostly focused on dictators but more recently on people tangental to the current situation in the US. There’s some BTB spin-offs but IMO they aren’t very good compared to BTB save for It Could Happen Here. There’s also QCS/CSPAM forum drama about Robert because he works with Brown Moses and was a bad poster on as as a teen but it’s extremely tedious and dumb.

Tell me about your favorite podcasts.

What a hell of a way to die:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/what-a-hell-of-a-way-to-die

Behind the bastards:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Most of the podcasts I listen to are nerd stuff, but I do like Behind the Bastards. Evans also co-hosts Worst Year Ever with Some More News/Even More News hosts Cody Johnston and Katy Stoll which started off as a 2020 election podcast but turned into a current events thing due to the pandemic, and it's pretty good. https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-worst-year-ever-49377032/

Uncivil is a completed (as far as I know) 15 episode run about the less well known aspects of the Civil War and its legacy, focused on PoC. If I were to recommend only one podcast out of these, this would be it. https://gimletmedia.com/shows/uncivil

Sunday School Dropouts was fun: a lapsed Evangelical and a non-religious Jew read the Bible and discuss each book's history, context, and impact on Christianity. After the second season they kind of ran out of Bible, but they tried their best for another season and did okay. I suspect it's done for good now. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sunday-school-dropouts/id1092700322

Factually is hosted by Adam Conover from Adam Ruins Everything, and it started out as a way to have long-form in-depth discussions with the experts he has on the TV segments who only get a couple minutes to discuss complex issues. Conover drops the insufferable character he uses for the TV show. (There was actually an Adam Ruins Everything Podcast before, but I think they ran into rights issues with the name and had to reboot. That was good too and I think you can still find them.) It's morphed into a general "talk with experts" interview show but I got way behind during the pandemic and haven't caught up. https://www.earwolf.com/show/factually-with-adam-conover/

Archaeological Fantasies Podcast looks at Ancient Aliens, Atlantis and other lost civilization myths, Out-of-Place Artifacts and all that nonsense and debunks it, talking about why it's bad science/bad history and what some of the drivers are. Spoiler alert: it's racism. On a long hiatus but most of the 120ish episodes that are in the back catalog are pretty interesting, especially when Ken Feder and Jeb Card are co-hosting along with host Sarah Head. Neither of them have any patience for bullshit and it's great. https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-archaeological-fantasies-podcast

My Year in Mensa is a four episode miniseries from comedian Jamie Loftus, who wrote a kinda half-assed set of articles about joining Mensa on a lark and received so much pushback that she decided to dig deeper to find out what that was all about, and got more than she bargained for. https://www.iheart.com/podcast/867-my-year-in-mensa-55379945/

I've got a bunch more that sounded interesting but I haven't gotten to yet because I have this weird need to go through the back catalog and listen to everything, and I never have enough time to do it.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 20, 2021

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 18, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Oh yeah, My Year in Mensa is amazing- while most of Robert, Katy and Cody’s other stuff is very hit or miss to me personally My Year in Mensa is perfect, and a relatively short listen.

It all started because of an article Katy wrote called “How this dumb stupid slut joined Mensa” and her crashing their parties after she enraged a bunch of very self important but very unimportant people.

E: I thanks for the recommend, I’ve never heard of Bundyville until now

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 18, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh yeah, My Year in Mensa is amazing- while most of Robert, Katy and Cody’s other stuff is very hit or miss to me personally My Year in Mensa is perfect, and a relatively short listen.

It all started because of an article Katy wrote called “How this dumb stupid slut joined Mensa” and her crashing their parties after she enraged a bunch of very self important but very unimportant people.

E: I thanks for the recommend, I’ve never heard of Bundyville until now

Just to be pedantic: this was Jamie Loftus, not Katy Stoll.

US Berder Patrol posted:

I think Tides of History would be a really popular listen around here. Lately the series has focused on archaeology driven deep history type stories, but there's lots of european history content as well. They occasionally have guests, usually academics to talk about their research on mammoth poop dna or whatever.

edit: Revolutions is my favorite history podcast right now, I'm actually a little sad I'm all caught up right before Mike Duncan finishes working on it. It examines a revolution over the course of a season, and they're done chronologically so you see how each successive revolution is contextualized with the revolutions that came before. I still don't understand what Europe went through in the mid 1800s tho lol

Dangit, this is the hazard with these kinds of threads. I want to pick these up but I just don't have the time. I'm thoroughly jealous of my wife, who has been WFH for more than a year now and has been listening to true crime podcasts basically nonstop.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I completely missed that SMEGA_MAIL had made their own podcast thread while I was working on the OP for my own. So, here's the content from my OP before McNally gasses mine:

Updated Regularly
Lions Led by Donkeys: Apple Podcasts, Spotify An irreverent military history podcast led by Joe Kassabian. Mixed with equal parts shittalking humor, good research skills and great writing, Kassabian retells some of the biggest military blunders in a fun and compelling way.
What a Hell of a Way to Die: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Two disgruntled Army vets talk about current events from the perspective of their service in a way that wouldn’t be out of place in our monthly CE thread.
Popular Front: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Hosted by Jake Hanrahan, Popular Front looks different elements of modern conflict/war and brings on guests who are knowledgeable about the topic at hand.
QAnon Anonymous: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Blending humor with excellent research skills and occasionally on the ground journalism, QAnon Anonymous has covered the whole QAnon bullshit since its inception. Now that Q hasn’t posted in months, the show has increasingly focused on following up on key players and the batshit insane directions this already batshit insane “movement” has taken.
Behind the Bastards: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Hosted by potentially soon-to-be-former goon and current Special Activities Division operator (according to CSPAM I guess) Robert Evans, this show tells the story of some of the worst people in history, ranging from mere war criminals to modern tech bros.
The Dirtbag Diaries: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Combining rich storytelling with a wonderful subject matter, the Dirtbag Diaries tells its listeners and contributors’ stories of outdoor adventures and mishaps in a fun and engaging way. You don’t have to be a backpacker, mountain biker, rafter or climber to appreciate this show, but it certainly helps.
Reply All Apple Podcasts, Spotify A podcast that mostly deals about the intersection of technology and society, often in very funny ways. Recently underwent a major :hooboy: moment of its own but is now back to updating pretty regularly. The older material is still well worth listening to.
Bikes or Death: Apple Podcasts, Spotify I hesitated to post this one given its somewhat niche subject matter, but if you’re into bikepacking or bike touring, this is a great podcast that not only has a lot of good information in it, but also features some of the biggest names in the sport right now talking with the host as if they’re old friends, and in many cases they are.
Backpacker Radio: Apple Podcasts, Spotify A podcast all about backpacking and outdoor adventures. The hosts are decent, but the guest stars are where it really shines.
Worst Year Ever: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Join host Robert Evans as he lends his years of experience as a grizzled SAD operator to his incredulous succdem lib cohosts as they dissect current events. This one can be hit or miss and frankly is more dependent on the quality of the guest than the interplay between the hosts, but more often than not, there are great perspectives and insider information offered here.
Well There’s Your Problem: Apple Podcasts, Spotify A leftist podcast about engineering disasters. Admittedly this one hasn’t grabbed me as quickly as its high reviews suggest that it would, but the hosts seem to really know their poo poo.

Updated Periodically
Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Recently described as not a podcast but an audiobook updated quarterly, Hardcore History tells the stories of history’s most cataclysmic events in a long, gripping and captivating way. Archival material goes back to 2013 and it’s definitely worth the listen if you have an interest in history.
Q Clearance: Apple Podcasts, Spotify Hosted by Popular Front’s Jake Hanrahan, this show could be seen as the Cliffs Notes to QAnon Anonymous by looking at critical moments in the Q Anon saga. The first season examines the origin of Q Anon, the second season (ongoing as of late June 2021) looks at how diehard Q believers have been acting since the January 6 CHUD attack on the Capitol.
Spooked Apple Podcasts, Spotify sSpoOooOokY stories about g-g-g-g-ghosts! Probably the best scary stories podcast out there, with listener submitted tails and excellent production values. Apparently there’s more content available if you pay for it via the Luminosity app, but what’s freely available is a lot of fun.
Bundyville Apple Podcasts, Spotify A (to date) two-season podcast about the Bundy family and their intersections with/motivation of the far right in the US. Really good, albeit somewhat terrifying, listening.
Scene on Radio: Apple Podcasts, Spotify This is a long-form podcast that examines a different topic in each of its four seasons (to date), including whiteness, masculinity and the entire concept of American democracy. This is thought-provoking and at times difficult to listen to, but it’s good stuff. c

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I’m just gonna edit the OP to be your post since you’re a much better poster

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If forced to choose just one desert island pod, it would be, with no reservation, Episode One.

Perhaps more akin to radio drama than a traditional podcast, the central conceit of the show is that each episode is the first and only episode of a different failed podcast. The hosts are absolute masters at the form of identifying and fully inhabiting Types Of Guys and then riffing as them for extended periods.

If there's anything that can be described as a typical episode of this show, it's the slow attention to worldbuilding, using the first third of each episode to set the stage and familiarize the characters before poo poo starts getting weird.

It's the funniest poo poo since Arrested Development got cancelled the first time. It's Frisky Dingo funny.

It's a podcast that did an hour long guided meditation on the experience of being Regis Philbin that was so compelling you'll not only revisit it but make other people listen to it while napping off a post-camping hangover in the middle of the woods.

It's a podcast that dared to reveal the truth behind Princess Diana's tragic death.

It's a podcast that documented the true story of the Terre Haute Bathroom Club

It's a podcast that perfectly nailed the gestalt experience of accidentally frustrating an ancient tenured professor's best efforts not to actually have to teach a section

It's a podcast that turned open mic night over to the free association stylings of Joe Biden

It's a podcast that gifted this into the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EPcGGKXM6E

Listen today.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 21, 2021

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not a good effort poster, but if you enjoy comedy and history might I recommend The Dollop. It's a simple premise of one host deep diving on a person or topic from american history, while the co-host has no clue even the subject of the episode, and they riff on it. It's a fun time and great on a commute. The 2-parter on George Pullman was remarkable.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No Such Thing As A Fish

British podcast by the people behind QI. General knowledge and curiosities, updated regularly, lots of old episodes to go through.

I use Podcast Addict, if it's on there, it's on pretty much any other podcast app.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

My current favorite is Doughboys, two comedians talk about chain restaurants. Top tier chemistry and I look forward every week.

Mystery Show is defunct but the belt buckle episode is the best ever of a podcast.

Agreed on the reply all recommendation, especially #158 the case of the missing hit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

US Berder Patrol posted:

edit: Revolutions is my favorite history podcast right now, I'm actually a little sad I'm all caught up right before Mike Duncan finishes working on it. It examines a revolution over the course of a season, and they're done chronologically so you see how each successive revolution is contextualized with the revolutions that came before. I still don't understand what Europe went through in the mid 1800s tho lol

Seconding this recommendation. It's probably one of my favorite podcasts for when I'm out driving or hiking around.

e:

shame on an IGA posted:

If forced to choose just one desert island pod, it would be, with no reservation, Episode One.

This is a really intriguing recommendation and I'll definitely take a listen, thanks!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
SRB Podcast do you like Russian and former Soviet Union academics discussing their research? SURE YOU DO. the SRB Podcast, formerly the Sean's Russia Blog Podcast and now an acronym that stands for nothing, is a weekly 1hr show that covers a wide variety of topics (not as much current events, though with some of that too), though primarily history, geopolitics, sociology/anthropology, ,edia analysis, and other humanities stuff. it's a much more digestible version of academic Russia research than reading the actual literature through, and a good way to find new books for particular topics that you wanna go more deep on

The Naked Pravda Meduza's English-language podcast. reporting and interviews with journalists for Russia and environs current events stuff. a bunch of stories that western media isn't going to cover because the average western media audience person gives no fucks about protests in Khabarovsk, the latest Duma bullshit, Roskomnadzor incompetence, Siberian ecopolitics, and so on. in a media market that has a dearth of good coverage, and especially English coverage, because lol Russian state and state-adjacent media, The Naked Pravda is my go-to recommendation for anyone looking for coverage that doesn't have the typical American outlet "we're only focused on the Russia-America interaction angle and rehashing the same clash of powers content we always do" basic-rear end reporting. uncertain future because of Meduza's recent foreign agent label and associated losing a shitton of Russian market revenue, but eh, get it while you can!

Sailor Business ENTIRELY unrelated to the above, Sailor Business is kinda like All Systems Goku, but for Sailor Moon, somehow doing an hour plus of commentary per 20ish-minute episode of Sailor Moon. it's my fav geek out podcast and, while basically over at this point (seriously as of now there's literally only one episode of series content left), it's a huge backlog of good evergreen casual listening content

The Drug Science Podcast David Nutt, noted British neuropsychopharmacologist who got kicked off the ACMD for not being on-message enough, conducts interviews with researchers, harm reduction activists, and drug policy people discussing, well, drugs. recent topical stuff for GiP is an interview with the MAPS founder on their ongoing MDMA-assisted therapy clinical trials for treatment-resistant PTSD

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 21, 2021

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Saw it mentioned a couple times upthread but Bundyville seasons 1 and 2 should be required listening (or reading) for GiPpers. Doubly so if you’re a PNW dweller.

Citations Needed (not to be confused with Citation Needed) is pretty good weekly discussion of media bullshit.

I’m also a big fan of You Are Not So Smart, which breaks down cognitive stuff and has great interviews and discussions with experts.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 18, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

US Berder Patrol posted:

Citations Needed
I love this one. The hosts call it "a history of PR, power, and bullshit." It's one of the best media/current events discussions out there, imo. Most individual episodes will focus on some twist of journalistic language or phrase that pundits are throwing around lately. This is for you if you want an explainer on "labor shortage", for example.

:yeah:

This show is kinda like a more accessible, funnier version of PBS FRONTLINE, here's my top 3 for those just jumping in

How the hell did the american health health insurance system end up like this in the first place?
#134: The 80 year PR campaign to kill universal healthcare

#85: Local Media's Genocidal Incitement Against Homeless People As housing costs skyrocket and inequality grows, homelessness is reaching crisis levels in large metropolitan areas. In response, the media––namely local news stations––routinely treat the homeless like an invading species, a vermin to be, at best, contained, and at worst eradicated. 

#64: Oh gently caress This Guy: A History of Mike Rowe

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 21, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

US Berder Patrol posted:

I'd say anywhere out west, really. The sagebrush rebellion type people are the ones who scare me most in these fashy times. The isolation of rural life in states like ID or NV makes it trivial for them to gather the critical mass of armed white psychos necessary to do serious harm at times.

I don't worry about these people that much, they largely are the type to have "issues" with their neighbors over trivial poo poo and aren't going to leave their little private fiefdoms to do much of anything besides run to walmart while armed with two pistols, five pocketknives, and an ego that requires their 3.5 ton F150 to transport.

Yeah, there are pockets of people who remember how to cooperate and are mildly well positioned to make initial stands in rural areas, but the bulk are selfish lunatics that, left to their own devices and fox propaganda, will just kill themselves in their basements with opiates, booze, or from ignoring medical issues. Not saying the minority of that group isn't something to worry about, but it's not at a point where they'd cooperatively overwhelm poo poo like a bunch of feds. We do need to be paying better attention to them, though.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 18, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lots of people, sure. They could definitely cause havoc and go on a murderous spree with very little to stop them. Local law enforcement would probably fold in on some scale, too.

I just don't see it as terribly likely, is all. Wouldn't surprise me if it did, but the feds would almost assuredly start dropping bombs on their compounds regardless of legal authority.

We're in for some quality shitshows though, that's for sure.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lots of people, sure. They could definitely cause havoc and go on a murderous spree with very little to stop them. Local law enforcement would probably fold in on some scale, too.

I just don't see it as terribly likely, is all. Wouldn't surprise me if it did, but the feds would almost assuredly start dropping bombs on their compounds regardless of legal authority.

We're in for some quality shitshows though, that's for sure.

The point of the podcast isn’t to tell some burnout in Boulder that they should be worried. It’s a long two season story that weaves together a lot of the stuff that folks who grew up here or have lived here long term know inherently: it’s currently a pot waiting to boil over. The revolution probably won’t start in Panaca, NV, but that’s a small comfort to the family whose house got blown the gently caress up for ~reasons~. This isn’t some rando breathless reporting, it’s pretty well thought out and very long-form. Absolutely fascinating and riveting.

Have you listened to it?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 18, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't listened to it, but I'll download it now.

And yeah, Springs burnout. I'm too cheap for Boulder.

E: is it called Bundyville: The Remnant? Because that's all I'm seeing on Podcast Addict.

Ah. I see, two seasons under one title.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 22, 2021

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I haven't listened to it, but I'll download it now.

And yeah, Springs burnout. I'm too cheap for Boulder.

E: is it called Bundyville: The Remnant? Because that's all I'm seeing on Podcast Addict.

Ah. I see, two seasons under one title.

It’s good, man, I promise.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm listening to it now. It is good. On episode 3.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice
Didn't see one of my favorite weeklies mentioned, so here it is (comes in at ~30 minutes / episode):

All the Presidents' Lawyers Apple Podcasts Spotify All presidents have legal issues. Some have more than others. A weekly conversation about the law, executive power, and all the presidents' lawyers, good and bad.

(This is @popehat answering questions and discussing current legal affairs. It's interesting to me, to hear a former federal prosecutor explaining sentencing for everyone's favorite insurrectionists, and more!)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Just finished Episode One of Episode One, in dying. Stony recommend.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Haven't seen anyone mention Blowback, yet. Season 1 is a history of the US-Iraq conflict, featuring excellent breakdowns of mass media reporting especially. They use lots of sound clips of GWB, Rummy et al that come across absolutely haunting with our powers of hindsight. Also features H. Jon Benjamin as Saddam in a skit and reading a few quotes in ep 1.

Recommend, as an OIF vet and heavy podcast listener. Season 2, about US-Cuba relations is out, not sure if it's out from Stitcher's paywall yet.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I started listening to radio war nerd and while it’s paid only it’s honestly worth it in terms of analysis

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

US Berder Patrol posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention Blowback, yet. Season 1 is a history of the US-Iraq conflict, featuring excellent breakdowns of mass media reporting especially. They use lots of sound clips of GWB, Rummy et al that come across absolutely haunting with our powers of hindsight. Also features H. Jon Benjamin as Saddam in a skit and reading a few quotes in ep 1.

Recommend, as an OIF vet and heavy podcast listener. Season 2, about US-Cuba relations is out, not sure if it's out from Stitcher's paywall yet.

I binged season 1 on a road trip. I remember it being entertaining and also making me extremely angry.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Seems like a lot of the podcasts I listen to these days make me mad about something or other.

What podcast playing app do y'all use? I've used a couple different ones, but they keep changing features or losing access to podcasts I like so I switch. I'm currently happy with Pocket Casts, although the playlist interface took some getting used to.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Seems like a lot of the podcasts I listen to these days make me mad about something or other.

What podcast playing app do y'all use? I've used a couple different ones, but they keep changing features or losing access to podcasts I like so I switch. I'm currently happy with Pocket Casts, although the playlist interface took some getting used to.

I really like Overcast. Runs fast, updates new eps and lets you decide how they display, search function works fine, and has a lots of customization options like skipping intros or shortening silences if you want. I don't have a paid subscription but the only ads are little ones on the bottom of the screen that are manageable.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I was going to ask the same thing the new apple app is totally unusable. It says “not playing” when playing audio and usually just stays loading forever

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I started listening to radio war nerd and while it’s paid only it’s honestly worth it in terms of analysis

I use podbean for this podcast and it's free for me

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Oh that’s rad

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Looks like it's free on Podcast Addict too, up until the 3/11/2020 episode at least. Anything newer isn't listed.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yo if anyone wants a slightly less grim/intense pod than most of the ones mentioned so far, the dudes who made Workaholics have a weekly called "This is Important". It's just them talking poo poo for an hour or so but it's really loving funny and chill to listen to.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm down for some Blake, Adam and Ders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh that’s rad

Your post reminded me, this might be a weird topic but does anyone know of a podcast that goes into the history of nuclear tests/mishaps?