Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Just remember not to accidentally a whole planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What benefit do you get from making the home base a Large space port rather than a small? Since you're going a minimalist design anyhow.

I usually throw fuel cells on space ports to make sure freighters keep fuel on them. Because there's nothing like having a squadron of ships come in and have no fuel there.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Strategic Sage posted:

Mentioned it a bit in the first video, but the point of having large for the spaceport is so freighters will use it as a resource hub. I think that makes sense for the homeworld. Small spaceports are lower priority ofc so they will run short of fuel a lot and just stock the bare essentials - I'm experimenting with using mediums in key spots which in theory should get enough resources brought to them. Making the private shipping economy not suck is very much it's own little mini-game.

Ah, I didn't realise there was a preference even when its your only starport. actually I assumed the classification was just for personal preference, so will be interesting to learn actual game mechanics.

I prefer rail guns if we're going the drive people off route - they do component damage quicker (they have armour or shield pierce IIRC) than other kinds of weapons as I recall
Though this may be outdated knowledge. But early game eh, Cheaper and easier just to pay the pirates off till you have at least hyperdrives.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

OddObserver posted:

... Was that "traits: Foreign Spy" on the scientist?

It is absolutely a trait they can roll. It lowers your defence against enemy tech stealing as I recall.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oooh, is that how it works.

So if you put two scientists on the same station, it'll only take the highest cumulative number?

Edit: Update on previous page

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Strategic Sage posted:

Correct. Putting two scientists on the same station wouldn't do any good in any scenario I can imagine. For each research category, you'll want your best scientist for it at the best location for it.

I can only think of one - your best science nerd and a less good scientist with Inspiring Presence (the one that gives bonus XP for other characters at the same location)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Strategic Sage posted:

:siren:
Beginning the Pirate Wars (28:55)

Pushing back against the galaxy's version of organized crime that occupies too much of what is *our* rightful territory ... because reasons that we'll retroactively make up later ... has begun. We now have a Fleet Admiral, and are beginning to find Black Holes which are tricky to exploit but worth it because apparently the galactic tourism business just can't enough of them. The process of building a serious early space navy is now underway, and we kick the interlopers out of the Kurbus system with more to come. A couple of new fortuitous discoveries are made, and the time to occupy other balls of matter - previously occupied and otherwhise - is fast approaching.

What normally happens when you auto-build a base near a black hole? Does the ship just come in too close and jump away or?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I'm curious, why did you skip over the planet colonisation techs in setting up your research? Do you just have enough colonial targets on current tech for the moment or?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

And just to spite you, the trade lanes have redrawn so it's a straight run from Reese to the front lines

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Strategic Sage posted:

The Fall of Ridri (23:53)

A breakdown of the 4th weapons tier takes up a significant portion of this session. We also see the Resupply ships in action and make a correction there - apparently they are considered stations for size purposes which I didn't realize and think is really quite dumb. More research is laid out and then we get back to war, where we have enough troops in place to take down the Durvalla homeworld. It's a long battle but the outcome is assured, and there is only cleanup left in this war.

I did not realise that population based troops would surrender once you won. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SIGSEGV posted:

The first time you destroy a world by accident, you'll laugh a lot, that's an important selling point.

Yeah, but Sage played with that feature turned off. I'm guessing that and the derelict starfleets is a Shakturi only feature.