Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dias posted:

Kenning, you should add the hot rikishi video to the OP, preferably the top of it.

I added it to the OP, because it definitely belongs there, but to the bottom, because I think it's more impactful there :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shiroc posted:

'What should Hakuho's last basho be?' is hard to peg. It would be cool to see him go 15-0 again but if he does, he absolutely would decide he's good to keep going. Something mediocre like 10-5 would be disappointing. Passing the torch absolutely isn't him because he is a bully rear end in a top hat to challengers. Its gotta be something special.

Ideally, I think it would be a Terunofuji v Hakuho playoff. Losing to Hakuho in a playoff should still get Teru the rope, so I'd be okay with either one winning it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bessantj posted:

It's good to hear that he's getting his health back in check.

Here's an important update from him:

https://twitter.com/satoshi551/status/1407644197457383426

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to be interesting to see what happens to Hakuho now more than ever. He’s been pining to do the opening ceremonies in the Olympics so it would be super weird for him to withdraw due to “injury” and then go do a dohyo-iri or something a week later on national TV. Hopefully he’s not injured and competes to the last day but if he does get tweaked or starts to approach some kind of yokozuna-makekoshi of like 5 losses things GON GET SPICY

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I mean no matter what he is probably retiring after the Olympics yeah?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean who knows. He’s obviously closer to retirement than not but if he were to go 15-0 with another yusho and he feels good I’m not sure he’s got any actual pressure to retire as long as he’s delivering the goods.

Smart money is on yes, but I guess it all depends on how he does this basho.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

harperdc posted:

He gets to take part in the basho that happens during the Olympics, and likely gets to play a part in ceremonies leading up to the Games. I’m pretty sure that’s more important to him than what his record in Nagoya is going to be. I think Hakuho was worried that if he was no longer active, he wouldn’t be allowed to do those things.

It’s specifically wanting to perform the dohyo-iri ceremony to bless the opening ceremonies. He’d probably get a part in the torch lighting or something that wouldn’t depend on his active/retired status.

But preforming the actual dohyo-iri is something that literally only he can do now that Kak is retired as performing it is a privilege reserved only for active Yokozuna. And that’s a hard sumo as a quasi-religious institution rule, not a grumpy old men out to screw him over rule.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 23, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, he basically announced last year that that was going to be the last year he fought, but then the Olympics got delayed. He's got at least 3 uchi-deshi (Ishiura, Enho, Hokuseiho), but I think there are a couple others in the lower divisions. The last tournament he completed was in March 2020, and before that he was on a 2 on 1 off schedule since mid-2016. Keep in mind, from January 2007 to July 2015 he hadn't missed a single day (and in that period won 34 yusho, lol).

I think if Kisenosato hadn't gotten hurt and was fighting the way he should have been Hakuho might have retired a couple years ago. It feels like he's been fighting to retain the honor of the yokozuna rank, but that can only go so far. I would be astonished if he's on the banzuke for Aki.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Even recognizing that everyone would do better with time off, that Hakuho hasn't had a single completed tournament with less than 10 wins, with 15-0s and 14-1s in there, is ridiculous. His last <10 win completed tournament was 2006 when he was an ozeki.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Shiroc posted:

'What should Hakuho's last basho be?' is hard to peg. It would be cool to see him go 15-0 again but if he does, he absolutely would decide he's good to keep going. Something mediocre like 10-5 would be disappointing. Passing the torch absolutely isn't him because he is a bully rear end in a top hat to challengers. Its gotta be something special.

0-15 with 11 kinboshi just staring at the shimpans as he walks out of the dohyo because they won't give him the honorary elder stock.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
even at 60% hakuho would be the favourite to take any basho he completes. i think he'll go on until his body literally can't any more but what do i know.

sivad posted:

0-15 with 11 kinboshi just staring at the shimpans as he walks out of the dohyo because they won't give him the honorary elder stock.

i really, really want him to do something like this though. sumo is a wonderful sport with some incredible ritualistic / spiritual aspects that i love but there's also a lot of weird, regressive poo poo that i hate and a lot of it has been focussed on hakuho. he hasn't really 'responded' to any of it though, and i'm wondering what it will look like when / if he does.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I extremely doubt that Hakuho will do anything except attempt his best.

I would love to see him hand out kinboshi like candy as the ultimate gently caress you, but I'd also like to watch him demolish everybody as the ultimate gently caress you.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Hope enho has a better time this coming basho

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think angry hakuho will try and murder everyone, as fun as it would be to see him henka and walk out of the dohyo every match

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As hilarious as Hakuho's Discount Kinboshi Extravaganza would be, there's no way he goes out like that. He takes his place as yokozuna way too seriously to ever taint it or his record that way.

That said, I think he's absolutely gonna henka a motherfucker on his way out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Before the injury he was carrying forced his withdrawal Hakuho wrecked then champion Daieisho and Takarafuji. The only thing that can stop him is him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

AOIYAMA

Brut fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just ordered an Ozeki era Tochinoshin tegata and one from AOIYAMA. I'm going to call my tegata collection complete for now.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Shiroc posted:

I just ordered an Ozeki era Tochinoshin tegata and one from AOIYAMA. I'm going to call my tegata collection complete for now.

Yeah I mean you got both the main ones

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Shiroc posted:

gently caress thats some good taste. I don't have any but now that I'm into this I might grab an AOIYAMA or Terutsuyoshi

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Chinook posted:

Yeah I mean you got both the main ones

I do also have my Hakuho, Takayasu and Kisenosato ones that out for framing. If they come out as well as they should, I'll get the two new ones to match that set. And have a big confusing to everyone I know display of handprints.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I only have the fake printed Takayasu tegata, mainly because as much as I love Sumo the price on the authentic ones is JUST out of impulse-buy range. Of course having said that, it’ll be way more out of impulse buy range the longer I wait given Takayasu isn’t getting any younger so I really should bite the bullet.

E: But I mean I somehow had no problem paying $150 to have Tochinoshin’s death mask shipped to Canada so what am I even doing with priorities??

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A real one, especially from the top rankers with the extra stamps, is an honestly gorgeous art piece. If you want one and can afford it, I'd say to go for it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
From discussion of COVID precautions:
https://twitter.com/yurinojo/status/1408089837870239750

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
sheesh nice needle

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do they sell authentic tegata at the Kokugikan or the little outdoor market they have on the way to the train station, or are they only available if you know someone? I could have sworn all the tegata I saw for sale inside were the re-print kind.

I think that’ll be the souvenir I aim for if I go next May.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martytoof posted:

Do they sell authentic tegata at the Kokugikan or the little outdoor market they have on the way to the train station, or are they only available if you know someone? I could have sworn all the tegata I saw for sale inside were the re-print kind.

I think that’ll be the souvenir I aim for if I go next May.

My understanding is that all authentic tegata are, by sumo rule, only allowed to be given by the rikishi to their supporters for free. The recipients are allowed to sell them. The association only sells prints.

Mine have all come from here: https://bigsumofan.com/collections/products-for-sumo-fans/products/authentic-autographs-handprint-and-signature-tegata which I don't think are the best prices but they get a lot and you can email the owner to ask for specific wrestlers. He let me know as soon as he got in the Hakuho one that I bought. Ships fast and in good packaging.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Youtube's algorithm in its omniscient majesty decided to bless me with a video of Hakuho vs Enho, from a single-elimination one-day mini tournament last year. Did not know they were stablemates (which also means they normally never get matched up even without the ranking gap), and they have some fun with the match - very playful.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

they need to do hakuho vs. shonanzakura at a non basho deal like that before hakuho retires

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Shonanzakura defeats Hakuho by presenting such a transcendent level of sheer ineptitude that Hakuho's natural prowess and mastery of sumo are of no use to him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

they need to do hakuho vs. shonanzakura at a non basho deal like that before hakuho retires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4miMXdjHE

Here you go

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

3/3 kids stood up from the crouch, went forward to attack, and didn’t fall down. That’s a better tachiai than Shonanzakura has demonstrated.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Nice shiny new op! Humbled to be sitting at M12. I shall try to further refine my brand of fantasy sumo for July.

Question: what are the +/- nums next to our names on the banzuke? Movement from the previous banzuke?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yep, that's how far everybody went up or down.

Speaking of, it's time again to put in your Fantasy Sumo picks!

Current banzuke:

code:
Hakuho		Yokozuna	
Terunofuji	  Ozeki		Takakeisho
Shodai		  Ozeki		Asanoyama
Takayasu	Sekiwake	Mitakeumi
Wakatakakage 	Komusubi	Meisei
Endo		   M1		Daiesho
Takanosho	   M2		Ichinojo
Hokutofuji	   M3		Tobizaru
Koteko		   M4		Chiyotairyu
Okinoumi	   M5		Hoshoryu
Onosho		   M6		Kiribayama
Myogiryu	   M7		Chiyoshoma
Takarafuji	   M8		Aoiyama
Hidenoumi	   M9		Shimanoumi
Tamawashi	   M10		Terutsuyoshi
Kaisei		   M11		Kotonowaka
Tochinoshin	   M12		Kagayaki
Chiyomaru	   M13		Ura
Daiamami	   M14		Chiyonoo
Tsurugisho	   M15		Tokushoryu
Chiyonokuni	   M16		Ishiura
Ichiyamamoto	   M17
For anyone new, drafting in Fantasy Sumo is very easy, and it's the only thing you really need to do as a player (trading during the first week is optional, and most people don't trade). Just give me an ordered list of 3 choices for each of the rank sets: yokozuna/ozeki, sekiwake/komusubi, maegashira 1-5, maegashira 6-10, and maegashira 11+.

Here's an example draft from last tournament:

Y/O: Terunofuji / Asanoyama / Takakeisho
S/K: Takayasu / Daiesho / Takanosho
M1-M5: Wakatakakage / Hokutofuji / Meisei
M6-M10: Tsurugisho / Tamawashi / Ichinojo
M11+: Kotonowaka / Chiyoshoma / Kaisei

Just swap out the names for guys you'd like to have on your team. You'll end up with 1 wrestler at each rank set, but you choose 3 in case one of them fills up quickly and is no longer available. Don't be intimidated if you're just starting out and don't know most of the dudes -- random picks are totally valid, and a great way to start learning who's who.

Hakkeyoi!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 27, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

thanks as always for running this, but btw you made a small mistake. mitakeumi is west sekiwake and you have takanosho listed twice

Y/O: Terunofuji / Hakuho / Takakeisho
S/K: Takayasu/Wakatakakage/Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Daieisho/Hokotufuji/Endo
M6-M10: Onosho/Tamawashi/Terutsuyoshi
M11+: Ura/Chiyonoo/Ishiura

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Y/O: Terunofuji / Shodai / Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi / Wakatakakage / Meisei
M1-M5: Okinoumi / Hokutofuji / Daeisho
M6-M10: Hidenoumi / Tamawashi / Takarafuji
M11+: Ura / Chiyomaru / Kaisei

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O: Hakuho/ Terunofuji / Shodai
S/K: Meisei / Wakatakakage / Takanosho
M1-M5: Tobizaru / Ichinojo / Endo
M6-M10: Aoiyama / Onosho / Shimanoumi
M11+: Ichiyamamoto / Tochinoshin / Tokushoryu

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Time to make my triumphant return to Goonuuchi

Y/O: Terunofuji / Hakuho / Takakeisho
S/K: Wakatakakage / Meisei / Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Tobizaru / Takanosho / Chiyotairyu
M6-M10: Aoiyama / Takarafuji / Kiribayama
M11+: Chiyomaru / Tokoshoryu / Ura

Also FYI you have Takanosho at both S and M2 in your listing

E: Beaten on Takanosho

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 2, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's been a while since I've tried this but hey

Y/O Shodai/Terunofuji/takakeisho
S/K Meisei/takanosho/wakatakakage
M1-M5 Daiesho/Endo/Hokotofuji
M6-M10 Onosho/Kiribayama/Myogiryu
M11+ TOCHINOSHIN/Tokushoryu/Chiyomaru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Y/O: Terunofuji / Takakeisho / Shodai
S/K: Wakatakakage / Meisei / Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Ichinojo / Endo / Tobizaru
M6-M10: Aoiyama / Myogiryu / Shimanoumi
M11+: Chiyonokuni / Daiamami / Ishiura

I'm betting on Hak making an early exit.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 2, 2021