Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I believe I read somewhere that it is considered good luck if a rikishi falls on you. I feel like it's one of those things where you have to consider it good luck, because otherwise holy poo poo a huge man just fell on you. I agree that every spectator I've seen who ever had a rikishi ever get close looked like it was the best thing they could have hoped for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Kenning posted:

I believe I read somewhere that it is considered good luck if a rikishi falls on you. I feel like it's one of those things where you have to consider it good luck, because otherwise holy poo poo a huge man just fell on you. I agree that every spectator I've seen who ever had a rikishi ever get close looked like it was the best thing they could have hoped for.

I'm just imagining them explaining it away to the family of someone who gets steamrolled "nah, nah, it's good luck! they'll have fantastic luck... once they regain consciousness"

Kinda reminds me of something I've started noticing and is quickly becoming my favourite little touch. When a rikishi wins by yorikiri and holds on to their opponent and leans back to keep them on the dohyo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think of that as the Kaisei special, because he is so incredibly considerate and always tries to catch his opponents when he forces them out. He's one of my favorite dudes in sumo because he's big, extremely talented when his injuries aren't acting up, and just the sweetest guy in and out of the ring. He's also sansei Japanese-Brazilian, which I only learned recently. His given name is Ricardo Sugano, which is loving cool as hell.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm new and haven't seen a tournament with more than one Yokozuna. Is it normal/expected for Yokozuna to fight each other during the course of a tournament(excepting the final)? Or do they just fight lower ranked people?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Takuan posted:

I'm new and haven't seen a tournament with more than one Yokozuna. Is it normal/expected for Yokozuna to fight each other during the course of a tournament(excepting the final)? Or do they just fight lower ranked people?

They fight on the final day if both remain injury-free.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Watch it, pal--a yokozuna only gets one smile a year.

(I'm so happy for him! Almost didn't recognize him with that big ol' grin.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
For those who don't know, Isegahama-oyakata (dude up there with Terunofuji wearing the red rope) was former yokozuna Asahifuji.

Yokozuna who make it to 60 and are still in the NSK get to do a kanreki dohyo-iri at the Kokugikan, which is the usual yokozuna dohyo-iri but they get to wear that red tsuna and usually any yokozuna will be the dew sweeper and sword bearer. Isegahama turned 60 last year, but had to postpone due to COVID, so its kind of cool that Terunofuji has the rope now and gets to be part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanreki_dohy%C5%8D-iri

Its not brilliant quality, but this is Kokonoe-oyakata (Chiyonofuji) from 2015 with Hakuho and Harumafuji. The gyoji is Kimura Yodo, who is the more senior of the two gyoji in Kokonoe-beya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc7W8szMmZE

And Kitanoumi with Chiyonofuji and Takanohana from 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aYe_c4SnRo

The gyoji is the last Kimura Shonosuke, I think. Its definitely A Kimura Shonosuke.

And here's a small bit with the making of the tsuna and T-Fu learning the dohyo-iri, which will be the two arms out Shiranui style, like Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTeaD9Ascw

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

that red tsuna

In the first video it was all red, in the second just the waist was red like the above pic. That mean anything?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Kenning posted:

The good luck is that you survive.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was rewatching the Ishizaki/Hokuseiho decider that saw Hokuseiho take the yusho. Ishizaki has to get into Juryo soon if he keeps going like he is. He's Ms56 at the moment, his July 6-1 record will have him shooting up the Banzuke but maybe not into the Ms15 golden zone. You'd think that November would see him go up though, if he keeps his winning pace up as I say.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

They fight on the final day if both remain injury-free.

And if there’s more than 2, the last however many days are required are reserved from the start for intra-Yokozuna matches. Which can lead to some weirdness in scheduling where the Yoks are like 13-1 and 8-6 going into the final day instead of more dramatic matchups.

So like in the 3 yok days, it would be something like

Day 13: Harumafuji/Kakuryu, Haukho/Whoever was O1e (Usually Kisenosato so we’ll use him as an example)
Day 14: Kakuryu/Kisenosato , Hakuho/Harumafuji
Day 15: Harumafuji/Kisenosato, Hakuho/Kakuryu

The only real flexibility they have would be which order the Yoks face each other (hopefully the 2 best record on the last day).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sub Rosa posted:

In the first video it was all red, in the second just the waist was red like the above pic. That mean anything?

I don't know, it looks like a stylistic choice. Chiyonofuji seems to be the only person who has gone all red - every other picture, even the old B&W ones, are clearly red with white tassels.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Elissimpark posted:

For those who don't know, Isegahama-oyakata (dude up there with Terunofuji wearing the red rope) was former yokozuna Asahifuji.

Yokozuna who make it to 60 and are still in the NSK get to do a kanreki dohyo-iri at the Kokugikan, which is the usual yokozuna dohyo-iri but they get to wear that red tsuna and usually any yokozuna will be the dew sweeper and sword bearer. Isegahama turned 60 last year, but had to postpone due to COVID, so its kind of cool that Terunofuji has the rope now and gets to be part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanreki_dohy%C5%8D-iri

Its not brilliant quality, but this is Kokonoe-oyakata (Chiyonofuji) from 2015 with Hakuho and Harumafuji. The gyoji is Kimura Yodo, who is the more senior of the two gyoji in Kokonoe-beya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc7W8szMmZE

And Kitanoumi with Chiyonofuji and Takanohana from 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aYe_c4SnRo

The gyoji is the last Kimura Shonosuke, I think. Its definitely A Kimura Shonosuke.

And here's a small bit with the making of the tsuna and T-Fu learning the dohyo-iri, which will be the two arms out Shiranui style, like Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTeaD9Ascw

this is so cool and something i've not known about! the red ropes look sick as hell and to have sword bearers and dew sweepers of that caliber is so sick.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Kenning posted:

I really want to make a coffee table book of glossy, high quality photos of spectators faces the second before a rikishi lands on them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Elissimpark posted:

Its not brilliant quality, but this is Kokonoe-oyakata (Chiyonofuji) from 2015 with Hakuho and Harumafuji. T

Here's a better quality vid of that one from a different angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXySp2hgUw

I came across that trying to find a video of Chiyonofuji doing his dohyo-iri back in his competing days, but I couldn't find any.

Elissimpark posted:

And here's a small bit with the making of the tsuna and T-Fu learning the dohyo-iri, which will be the two arms out Shiranui style, like Hakuho

As a note, Hakuho was also taught the dohyo-iri by Isegahama-oyakata, which means that he's guided three different yokozuna(Harumafuji/Hakuho/Terunofuji) through the dohyo-iri and two of them were his own students.

Seeing Isegahama smiling is more surprising than seeing Terunofuji smile, imo.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Dr. Miracle posted:

I really want to make a coffee table book of glossy, high quality photos of spectators faces the second before a rikishi lands on them.

I would definitely buy this

I've had the biggest grin on my face reading about Terunofuji and Isegahama getting their tsuna made. For all of its quirks and backward bullshit, this sport is really goddamn amazing.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Khizan posted:

Seeing Isegahama smiling is more surprising than seeing Terunofuji smile, imo.

I legit looked at the picture for a minute wondering if it was him because of the smiling

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

whats for dinner posted:

For all of its quirks and backward bullshit, this sport is really goddamn amazing.

this has been my overall position on the sport since i started watching it.

my main hope for the future is that modern training methods are implemented in stables with regards to full contact sparring and tachiai practice. i'm so worried about their brains. i think wrestlers could extend their fighting life and fighting prime by cutting way back on the number of full speed collisions.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This makes me wish there was more space there. Tochi lands with the end halfway up his back. 300+ pounds falling on your spine and part of it can bend away :stonk:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

my main hope for the future is that modern training methods are implemented in stables with regards to full contact sparring and tachiai practice. i'm so worried about their brains. i think wrestlers could extend their fighting life and fighting prime by cutting way back on the number of full speed collisions.

What's weird is the high speed tachiai is a fairly recent thing, I believe if you watch matches even from like the 90s, you'll much more often seen wrestlers just kinda stand up, almost in the style of that day 14 Hakuho tachiai.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Marching Powder posted:

We’ll see what comes of it, but that’s what Kisenosato is doing with his heya. His Masters(?) thesis was on new ways to train in sumo and he’s opening up shop next week. If nothing else it certainly looks different than your normal heya, even if he has caught some poo poo for moving it so far outside of Tokyo.

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1420049561356283907?s=21

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll be damned if I don't make that a day-trip destination next time I'm in Tokyo.

Assuming there's some sort of guest area, I guess.

e: Though, uh, Ami looks pretty devoid of things to see outside of some peace museum and maybe now this.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 28, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i assume real estate costs are the main reason? does seem like it would be a hassle for certain things like inter heya training

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That makes sense to me. Under most circumstances it would be normal to just rent space for a martial arts school, even a large one. But if you need a sumo dohyo, or e.g. you insist on doing Shotokan karate on a sprung wooden floor...

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was going to get the picture banzuke from July framed because it was supposed to be Hakuho's last basho but now I wonder if I should wait for the September one to have both yokozuna on them. It feels like it might not even have been Hakuho's last yusho if he manages to keep going.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The answer is just to keep feeding the mail order banzuke industry and frame each successive one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martytoof posted:

The answer is just to keep feeding the mail order banzuke industry and frame each successive one.

:hmmyes:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Links for said banzuke please, lol

Also workshopping a Lady Gagamaru Halloween costume, don’t steal this idea

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Thauros posted:

i assume real estate costs are the main reason? does seem like it would be a hassle for certain things like inter heya training

Yeah, this is going to be more of a complex than jammed into a building in Tokyo, plus it's his home prefecture. I think I saw it was 45 mins or so by train to the Kokugikikan. One of the selling points to new recruits is, from what I gathered from Google Translate, maximum of 3 guys to a room compared to some of the sardine cans a lot of guys live in. I did like this bit from the New Recruit FAQ:

Q: I have no experience in sumo, is that okay?

A: The master himself has no experience in sumo, so there is no problem at all.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Omnikin posted:

Links for said banzuke please, lol

https://bigsumofan.com/

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I've a framed picture banzuke as well they look really good in person. Also got gifted Terunofuji and Takakeisho tegatas and I can't wait to get em framed - the authentic ones are worth it if you really like the rikishi imo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

We’ll see what comes of it, but that’s what Kisenosato is doing with his heya. His Masters(?) thesis was on new ways to train in sumo and he’s opening up shop next week. If nothing else it certainly looks different than your normal heya, even if he has caught some poo poo for moving it so far outside of Tokyo.

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1420049561356283907?s=21

Really interested to see how this works out.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, are they actually gonna have olympic sumo? If so, when?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The most I can see is a special, two-day exhibition tournament staged between the closing of the Olympic Games and the opening of the Paralympic Games. I don't know if it'll ever become an official Olympic sport, though apparently it did get the okay some years back.

e: More here, though note this was before all the COVID poo poo hit the fan: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/b032f3daf74b-olympics-sumo-meet-to-be-held-as-part-of-2020-games-cultural-program.html

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Takagenji dismissed from sumo, his stablemaster is demoted.

https://hochi.news/articles/20210730-OHT1T51178.html

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

drat, owned. Got fat for nothing

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lexorin posted:

So, are they actually gonna have olympic sumo? If so, when?

I very much doubt this, sumo at an amateur/hobby level can only be found extremely rarely in just some countries, and Japan is the only nation that practices it at the pro level.

It's recognized as a sport by the IOC, but that doesn't mean it will ever be an olympic event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if it didn't happen this year it's def never happening as i don't see an ulaanbaatar olympics ever occurring