Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bessantj posted:

As we probably saw coming

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1406875813878943744

In 16 years he missed only 14 bouts. Amazing.

My congrats to him on an excellent career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Were I a woman, I would only have eyes for AOIYAMA.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O: Terunofuji / Hakuho / Takakeisho
S/K: Meisei / Mitakeumi / Daieisho
M1-M5: Endo / Hoshoryu / Ichinojo
M6-M10: AOIYAMA / Terutsuyoshi / Kiribayama
M11+: Ura / Tochinoshin / Ichiyamamoto

I begin my title defense this tournament. Trying to shake things up and pick guys that could surprise from the lower ranks. However, with great rewards comes risk.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 2, 2021

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My post has been edited.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kenning posted:

Ugh, brutal to see Takakeisho get taken out like that. I really hope this is like a weird nerve pinch thing rather than serious damage to his neck. I'll also be trading for Teru/Hak/Shodai in that order.

In terms of how to deal with thin y/o ranks, if we have a basho with just like 2 y/o slots we'll just not restrict how many people can take a given wrestler. Y/O is the least important rank set in terms of potential points scored (because they don't qualify for kinboshi or special prizes), so I'm not too worried about it affecting competitiveness. Plus, the nature of the points economy is that if there are only 2 y/o ranked wrestlers ozeki runs become more common because there are more wins that will be allocated to the top non-y/o wrestlers. It'll resolve itself soon enough.

Anyway, all the trades posted so far will be registered for Day 3. The y/o rank will be opened to 1/2 of the field, which is also what I did with s/k because Takayasu was out.

Day 2 standings

Makuuchi

code:
8	scripterror
8	Skjorte
7	bartolimu
7	Everyones Favorite Poster
7	Lid
7	MyChemicalImbalance
6	Beeswax
6	Brut
6	captainblastum
6	Fluffdaddy
6	Helianthus Annuus
6	Shiroc
5	GoatSeeGuy
5	jmzero
5	Kenning
5	Khizan
5	Pakled
5	QuasiQuack
5	Scythe
5	Teddybear
5	Thauros
5	whats for dinner
4	Banana Canada
4	Biosys
4	Cage Kicker
4	Charles Gnarwin
4	Chinook
4	Crusty Nutsack
4	Dias
4	Liquid Communism
4	Maigius
4	MalarkeyToboggan
4	Marching Powder
4	Neodoomium
4	ratmosphere
4	Tiny Bug Child
4	Tochiazuma
4	Vargatron
3	anakha
3	bessantj
3	Ice Phisherman
3	Jobbo_Fett
3	Robviously
3	sivad
2	pseudodragon
Juryo

code:
6	Eli949
6	Halloween Jack
6	LlamaTrauma
6	TwoWordName
5	rare Magic card l00k
4	Bellwether
4	Communist Thoughts
4	KungFu Grip
4	Martytoof
4	Netsky
3	Foehammer007
3	ilmucche
3	Log082
2	Glugglugs
2	NuclearPotato

I'm definitely working through a title hangover this basho. Hopefully I'll start evening up after the first third and I don't end up like Tokushoryu!!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would like to trade Endo for Ichinojo. Failing that, Hokutofuji.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I also kind of wait for the 2nd week of bouts as well because my upper ranking Maegashira generally have issues with the sanyaku ranks at first. That said, Endo's injury and Meisei having a tepid start has definitely hurt my title defense.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Khizan posted:

I had been planning to trade Tochinoshin on day 4, and then he pulled out two more wins so gently caress it. I'm sticking with the Georgian giant, even if he goes 2-13.

I swear this happens like CLOCKWORK. As soon as you make a trade that wrestler will bust out like 3 or 4 wins in a row.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Omnikin posted:

so ready for 14-0 vs 14-0. There's no way they would put them earlier in the tourney, right?

Almost assuredly no.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm hoping Meisei secures a KK by closing day. I think he's done well at his rank this tournament.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kind of ties into the nebulous hinkaku thing a Yokozuna is supposed to have. I wish they'd dispense with some of the expectations on the higher ranks and let wrestlers actually take time off to heal. I think that kind of thing killed Kisenosato's yokozuna career. If he got his pectoral repaired he might have had a better run.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the equivalent of a bat flip in sumo? An extra shove to an opponent once they're out of the ring?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I NEED a Meisei KK on the final day!!! Not quite sure if I'm on an Ozeki run in fantasy sumo, but I'm pleased with my stable's second week performance!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Takayasu was sacrificed to the altar of Shodai

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like Hakuho has a vendetta against the YDC after they recommended that the JSA end honorary elder stock.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Terunofuji wincing in pain as he knelt down to bow. I can’t imagine the type of resolve it took to reach the highest rank in the sport in that condition.

He had issues during his ozeki promotion as well. It's crazy that his knees are that hosed up yet he is one of the strongest wrestlers active now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Surely somebody in the JSA knew he was going to be there? He can't just dip out unnoticed from his heya!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

next time ride horses with some fighting spirit and gentle whispers of gambaremas as they approach the completely inanimate object

the horse did not possess the requisite dignity and grace to become grand champion

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nice to know Ikioi has a backup career waiting in the wings if the sumo coaching gig doesn't work out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Time to create my scouting report ahead of the tournament... Gotta keep my winning streak alive on the Goonzuke!!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fluffdaddy posted:

he will inexplicably get 11 wins and win a technique prize

I see you haven't been Endo'd yet.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm pretty sure Kise would routinely school Takayasu in training bouts even after retiring a Yokozuna. Probably one of the reasons why Takayasu has done so well in the san'yaku ranks.

I really wish they'd bring back the injury allowance of one tournament again. Really sucks to see my favorite rikishi fighting hurt.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't want to stereotype an entire country, but this seems to be a recurring problem in Japanese combat sports. Both the athletes and the fans love the narrative of showing "fighting spirit" and beating overwhelming odds, and they ignore the vast majority of instances where doing something unsafe just leads to losing and having your career truncated.

You see this too in hockey around playoff time. After a team gets eliminated, you'll always hear "oh this guy was playing with a broken foot the entire series, he's gonna be out next year after surgery".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Takayasu
Mitakeumi
Meisei

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Hokutofuji
Wakatakakage

M6-10:
AOIYAMA
Myogiryu
Ura

M11+:
Endo
Ichiyamamoto
Tsurugisho

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Real talk I look forward to fantasy sumo every basho. This is about the only league in which I feel I have a good scouting report of the participants.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When is the trade deadline? I'm uh... nursing a training injury right now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would like to trade Takayasu for Meisei if available.

I think I will stand pat with AOIYAMA and Ichiyamamoto in hopes that they will reverse course.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't find Chris Sumo's coverage sensational or anything. I think he's using sources that the mainstream sumo media won't use and he's really advocated for accountability in the JSA for a lot of issues in the sumo world. His match day reviews are also really good, especially of developing wrestlers.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This basho has been an abject disaster for my fantasy stable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

At this point I’m already too far behind to recover, so I will need to take drastic measures despite the trade penalties.

I would like to trade the following rikishi in this priority:

Hoshoryu for Kiribayama or Tamawashi or Wakatakakage
Ichiyamamoto for Chiyonokuni or Chiyonoo or Yutakayama

However, I will NOT be trading AOIYAMA.

I will endeavor to shore up my fighting spirit for the remainder of the basho and practice good sumo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ilmucche posted:

There are trade penalties?

My man/woman/NB dude

:cool::respek::cool:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971281#post515649583

Scoring and penalties are detailed in this post.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

NuclearPotato posted:

Well, at least I'm not the biggest jobber among both divisions now. :v: Ura and Takayasu are still very borderline, but I will have faith in them to get the kachi-koshi and win through. Also,

Who did I end up with out of this?

I was unmade by overconfidence and poor scouting!!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

In some ways it's hypocritical for the JSA to call out the Yokozuno for post match shoving, especially since Hakkaku (ex-Hokutoumi) was known for being rough with his opponent beyond what is considered normal.

Not that I condone the extracurriculars. It's bad form.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Southpaugh posted:

I think I'm turning into a shodai fan, hes just so consistently baffling.

I think he's going to be like, a career 8-7 Ozeki.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Beeswax posted:

My weakness for picking promising makuuchi newcomers came back to bite me hard, alongside Big Bear having a nightmare basho. I am dedicated to redeeming myself and showing the world my real fantasy sumo in November.

We're going to have to redouble our efforts on the practice dohyo...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was doing some reading last night, and I found out that Hakuho's coach, Miyagino-oyakata, only had two tournaments in makuuchi. His highest rank was Maegashira 13! And he coached the greatest yokozuna of all time who was considered too small and skinny to be taken by any other stable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

i only know gen 1 pokemon :(

however sleeping fat owl is analogous so that's cool.

whatup Gen 1 buddy

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Meisei
Mitakeumi
Ichinojo

M1-5:
Endo
Takayasu
Hoshoryu

M6-10:
Ura
Tamawashi
Tobizaru

M11+:
Abi
Akua
Kaisei

I have been diligent in keiko and have shored up my Fighting Spirit. My goals are 8 wins, 10 wins, yusho.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shiroc posted:

It was amusing when the two shimpan started to gesture at each other to figure out if they needed to call a water break.

It looked like they were in the process of calling it and then Takayasu made a move. Would have been cool to see one in the top division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lexorin posted:

We're aiming for the greatest number of losses, right?

It's like golf. Lower score is better!