Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes, posting in the shiny, new fabulous fat fellas fighting fred!

Great OP.

So hyped to see Wakatakakage in the san'yaku ranks he has put in all the effort in the world. Also looking forward to seeing what Ura can do in the top division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ilmucche posted:

I will of course be cheering for (but probably not picking) half-man half-duct tape tochinoknee

Last time he was this far down the banzuke he bounced back with a 10-5 so it might be worth a shout even with his dusty knees.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

As we probably saw coming

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1406875813878943744

In 16 years he missed only 14 bouts. Amazing.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 21, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lunsku posted:

Worth noting that the 14 missed bouts are the last two bashos of this year. As far as I can see, Ikioi made every bout from May 2005 until his final active basho this January. In a sport like this, that is some resilience.

It is a remarkable run that you're unlikely to see often. Will be interesting to see if this ethic manages to rub off onto any of his students.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know I've got a cheek saying this in the sumo thread but that can't be healthy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Orora was definitely not healthy. There have been some interviews with him where it seemed like he was at a big stable where no one was really helping him manage the sumo lifestyle and body type, and he was just encouraged by other young wrestlers to eat a huge amount irrespective of the consequences. Him being a foreigner was probably also part of the issue, since he didn't fit in so well overall. It's really sad, because it seems like he wasn't really given a chance to do sumo as well as he could do, and he was unbelievably unfit by the end of his career (he used supplemental oxygen as a matter of course after walking around too much).

The good news is that he's in much better shape now and seems a lot happier. He has a very cute Instagram where he posts videos of him doing exercises and cooking healthy meals. He's still a big boy, but much more sustainably now. Seems like a real sweet dude.

It's good to hear that he's getting his health back in check.

*rapturous applause*

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Before the injury he was carrying forced his withdrawal Hakuho wrecked then champion Daieisho and Takarafuji. The only thing that can stop him is him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Late on this one.

Y/O: Hakuho/Terunofuji/Takakeisho
S/K: Wakatakakage/Meisei/Mitakeumi
M1-5: Endo/Hoshoryu/Daieisho
M6-10: Myogiryu/Shimanoumi/Terutsuyoshi
M11+: Ura/Ichiyamamoto/Tochinoshin

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

URA! URA! URA! URA! URA!!!!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If I was the dude that Ura nearly fell on I would have grabbed him and hugged him, telling him he is the best boy.

I don't know what's got into the Ozeki but they're not messing around. Shodai looked like he was out for a pleasant stroll when beating Takanosho, Takakeisho looked like he was toying with Daieisho a bit, letting him think he'd won before defeating him easily and Terunofuji avenged May's loss with a very authoritative win over Endo. I hope all three of them can keep it up for the fifteen days.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hakuho just brutalised Endo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ura definitely deserved a mono-ii and I think they would have at least called a torinaoshi if not outright giving it to Ura if they went to video.

I thought that on the replay you can clearly see Ura's heel hit the ground outside the ring first. It was a good match but Chiyonoo won.

Feel a bit sorry for Endo so far. Day one a visit from a vengeful Terunofuji who beats him soundly then a boxing match from Hakuho on day two.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hokuseiho is a human that got caught in a nuclear bomb test and is now a sumo monster.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Here's a bit of fun, some Maezumo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjtqkkzAGY

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think if Terunofuji and Hakuho went into day 15 both on 14-0 and Hakuho won you'd have a good chance of seeing Terunofuji promoted to yokozuna.

Also I'm pleased for Ichiyamamoto he was a bit of a surprise promotion but he's hanging with the top guys.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 7, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Dude has 3 yushos and 2 jun-yusho in the last year. If they don't promote with at least a solid jun yusho, it'd seem churlish.

He also has three special prizes which you think would put him over the top, but never underestimate the YDC and how they see things.

Poor old Endo. Can I trade ENDO for HOSHORYU please, I want to mess another wrestlers record up! :D

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Speaking of swole sumo, university star and current undefeated rikishi Ishizaki has been hitting the gym.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If you do jonidan/sandanme

We have Hokuseiho of course and before that Ura and in 2017 thread favourite Enho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Really happy to see Ichiyamamoto getting close to KK with his first visit to Makuuchi.

I've been working some odd hours so haven't been keeping up with the sumo as much as I should be, I only just noted that Hokuseiho is 5-0, that should see him up to Juryo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Possible interesting bout coming up in Makushita. Hokuseiho and Ishizaki are the only undefeated rikishi left both on 6-0 so they'll be paired up in their last match. Has the potential to be a very interesting match up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My reaction when a rikishi I didn't pick goes make-koshi --> <-- My reaction when a rikishi I did pick goes make-koshi.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Huge test for Terunofuji tomorrow, of his last 5 bouts with Takayasu, Takayasu is 4-1 up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That double arm lock man, as soon as that was in Terunofuji was hosed.

I wonder how Hakuho will do as a coach.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

He said in the interview he's gonna keep fighting :shrug:

Just go out into the street and start slapping people?

No, I mean when he does eventually retire how he will do as a coach/heya owner.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kisenosato opens his stable next month.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

We all knew it was coming but it's great to see. I see he's mocking Hakuho in that picture with his arms extended.

I'm hoping that when Asanoyama comes back he can rocket up the rankings and retake his rightful rank before an all out attempt at Yokozuna. I'd like Takakeisho to do it but I don't think his brand of sumo can get him there. He's a very strong Ozeki though and sumo needs those as much as a great Yokozuna.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finishing 8th after such a bad start is pretty decent, glad I stuck with my guys where I could. Thanks for running the show Kenning.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

He also sent a message to Terunofuji that he was willing to do anything to win, and there's no way it didn't rattle the ozeki.

I know it's clipping a short bit of your very interesting post but do you really think it rattled Terunofuji? I always feel that he's a bit more self confident than that and probably thought 'that'll get a reaction' that rattled him. The big problem is we don't get to see a lot of who the wrestlers really are, certainly not through post bout interviews so you could be absolutely on the money.

Kenning posted:

I'm loving fascinated with what Hakuho will be like as an elder. Once his concern is no longer his own record and desire to win I have no idea what sort of things he'll want to accomplish in the JSA. I don't think he'll be quite the flamboyant reformist that Takanohana was, but somehow I don't see him as a middle of the line conservative either. I also wonder what the YDC will find to complain about once their ultimate bug bear is finally out of the ring.

I'm interested to see how he and Kisenosato will do.

I can't wait to see how the next Japanese born yokozuna will be hailed.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Might be waiting a while for that.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I don't think Shodai is looking to change his shikona anytime soon.

Yeah I still think Asanoyama is the best bet at the moment and we all know how that's going.

Kenning posted:

He's definitely confident, I'm not disputing that. I also suspect he was studying tape and thinking about what Hakuho was likely to use against him. If you're psyching yourself up for a whole tournament to face Hakuho and on day 14 he does something he's never done before I feel like it would at least plant some doubt. The thing is, whether or not his weird tachi-ai rattled Terunofuji, Hakuho created the possibility that it could do so, which is in line with what my basic argument is about him being a perfect athlete. He never stops trying to create an advantage.

I suppose if you are looking at tape of Hakuho you'll understand quickly that he always looks to gain an advantage no matter how small and they had fought before. But like I say while I'm not totally convinced the Shodai tachi-ai rattled him I'm not dismissing that it could have done, his reaction to it is pretty good. just being opposite someone like Hakuho must have an effect on you he's that great as you have said.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 21, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

26 year old Takataisho, has been in Sumo for 10 years and still climbing through Sandanme, we probably won't ever see him in the salaried ranks.

That's not great, but I've found Hatachijo. 36 years old and highest rank Sandanme 66. He's currently Jonidan 29 and went 3-4 in July.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

net work error posted:

No Hakuho in the opening ceremony? What the heck

He wasn't there at all?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tochinoshin vs Aoiyama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5wpXtYEQe4&t=140s

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was rewatching the Ishizaki/Hokuseiho decider that saw Hokuseiho take the yusho. Ishizaki has to get into Juryo soon if he keeps going like he is. He's Ms56 at the moment, his July 6-1 record will have him shooting up the Banzuke but maybe not into the Ms15 golden zone. You'd think that November would see him go up though, if he keeps his winning pace up as I say.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

We’ll see what comes of it, but that’s what Kisenosato is doing with his heya. His Masters(?) thesis was on new ways to train in sumo and he’s opening up shop next week. If nothing else it certainly looks different than your normal heya, even if he has caught some poo poo for moving it so far outside of Tokyo.

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1420049561356283907?s=21

Really interested to see how this works out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

He'll probably be at the exhibition mini-tournament between the Olympics and the Paralympics, if they're still doing that.

Seems a little unfair but good on them for being inclusive I guess.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teddybear posted:

One of the all time greats has retired. The man. The myth. The legend.

Shonanzakura (formerly Hattorizakura). He retires after six years, finishing with a 3-238 record. His streak of 104 consecutive losses will live forever.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202108250000576.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

Pour one out for a real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0apLxFzMA

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

For some reason I'm really hoping Ishizaki can take the Makushita title this time round.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think Terunofuji will feel it's his duty as a yokozuna to appear and win the basho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Alright, lets see how this goes,

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Takayasu
Ichinojo

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Chiyoshoma

M6-10:
Ura
Chiyotairyu
Okinoumi

M11+:
Endo
Ichiyamamoto
Chiyonokuni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wait what does Chris Sumo do that's bad? :ohdear:

Don't know if it's bad but maybe he's referring to the series of videos Chris did on Asanoyama's suspension. Or what Khizan said.