Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's like Marvel heard the complaints about how hard it is for casual fans to know where to start with Marvel comics and decided to just make every volume a starting place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alhazred posted:

It's pretty funny how there's been three different volume ones of New Mutants:

For a while it was alternating between Brisson and Hickman with different stories. Would make no sense to put those issues in the same volume so it appears they're just separating by author.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Servoret posted:

I like House to Astonish and Wait, What? HtA’s schedule has become very irregular as of late though, so not really the best way to find out about new books.

Jordan7hm posted:

Letters and Lines was great but seems to be done.

War Rocket Ajax is good.

Comic Books Are Burning in Hell talk about more than just the big 2.

Right on, thanks for the pods folks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Who is this character supposed to be?

And why would the Samuel L. Jackson pastiche Nick Fury have her inside a coffin in a warehouse?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's Star. She's a villain currently merged with the Reality Gem.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, that would explain the Black Cat cover with the infinity gems which are never mentioned or shown anywhere in that issue. As a stand-alone issue it was a rather confusing affair, but the creative team of Black Cat generally delivers so I'll be patient and see where it goes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, that would explain the Black Cat cover with the infinity gems which are never mentioned or shown anywhere in that issue. As a stand-alone issue it was a rather confusing affair, but the creative team of Black Cat generally delivers so I'll be patient and see where it goes.

Well Vulpes has been writing the Nick Fury backups in the Infinite Destinies annuals that lead into his Black Cat arc. So it's not out of nowhere, he's just been building to it elsewhere.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

And why would the Samuel L. Jackson pastiche Nick Fury have her inside a coffin in a warehouse?

Jr has been the only Nick Fury for like a decade now, I think, you can just say Nick Fury

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Jr has been the only Nick Fury for like a decade now, I think, you can just say Nick Fury

I don't read many Marvel comics other than X-titles and Zdarsky/Ewing books, so I wouldn't know. The last Nick Fury I saw was the classic one about four years ago in Zdarsky's Spider-Man so it made sense to me to make the distinction. But now that I think about it, I remember it was possibly during a time travel story, so uh. Guess classic Nick Fury is long gone now?

Speaking of which, still no idea why Jr had this Star lady inside a coffin or what's the deal with her merging with the reality gem. What little there was on the two wikis I visited only mentioned the merging happened "behind the scenes" while she was in prison and there's also no direct correlation to what just happened in Black Cat, as Star had a short miniseries last year where she learned to control the reality gem and that plotline seems to have ended there abruptly (again, from wiki summaries). Is that it or have I missed something?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

they just brought back og Nick fury though

Saoshyant posted:

I don't read many Marvel comics other than X-titles and Zdarsky/Ewing books, so I wouldn't know. The last Nick Fury I saw was the classic one about four years ago in Zdarsky's Spider-Man so it made sense to me to make the distinction. But now that I think about it, I remember it was possibly during a time travel story, so uh. Guess classic Nick Fury is long gone now?

Speaking of which, still no idea why Jr had this Star lady inside a coffin or what's the deal with her merging with the reality gem. What little there was on the two wikis I visited only mentioned the merging happened "behind the scenes" while she was in prison and there's also no direct correlation to what just happened in Black Cat, as Star had a short miniseries last year where she learned to control the reality gem and that plotline seems to have ended there abruptly (again, from wiki summaries). Is that it or have I missed something?

no her final scenes go from dipping on Spider-Man in a cemetery in her previous story to abruptly being in the coffin, as far as i know

site fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 31, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

site posted:

no her final scenes go from dipping on Spider-Man in a cemetery in her previous story to abruptly being in the coffin, as far as i know

The impression I got from the summaries was that the whole affair was super undercooked and I guess you just confirmed it. Hope MacKay can wring a cool story out of this weird status-quo.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The Fury story in Infinite Destinies will wrap up in August, which will explain how Fury got to where we see him in Black Cat #8.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

they just brought back og Nick fury though

I have only like half a memory of this, what happened

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc it was like, the watcher popped out of Fury's eyeball and told Fury he sucked at doing the watchers job and to get out of his house lol

afaik og Fury has not been seen in a book since then though

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Watcher brought him back in FF #25

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I would read the hell out of this.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/1391948687102775296?s=20

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I replied to him on Twitter, encouraging him to do it. I would love that so much!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
*Thinking about how much Bendis would fit into 400 pages.*

Hmm, must not have a lot of stories to tell.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

site posted:

iirc it was like, the watcher popped out of Fury's eyeball and told Fury he sucked at doing the watchers job and to get out of his house lol

What kind of moronic nonsense is this? I'm utterly baffl--

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Watcher brought him back in FF #25

quote:

(authored by Dan Slott)

Oh...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

What kind of moronic nonsense is this? I'm utterly baffl--

Is it really any more moronic than how Nick Fury got the Watcher position?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I assumed that was from the same book, thus the "what the gently caress is site talking about". Different book? When did it happen anyway? Because yes, that is also pretty out there development for the character instead of, I dunno, letting him retire in some island in the Pacific.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

You have a point but you don't counter stupid with stupid

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, here it is, something called Original Sin by Jason Aaron. Apparently Nick Fury killed the Watcher and was forced into becoming the new Watcher as punishment. Okay. Comic books.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, here it is, something called Original Sin by Jason Aaron. Apparently Nick Fury killed the Watcher and was forced into becoming the new Watcher as punishment. Okay. Comic books.

Yeah but it led to The Orb acquiring the Watcher's eyeball and popping up in a bunch of Aaron's books which was awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did he ever show up in Thor during Aaron's run?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I replied to him on Twitter, encouraging him to do it. I would love that so much!

Fortune & Glory Vol 1 is a lot of fun

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Comics sure are cool, 'ey folks? I've been digging into comic podcasts lately, any favorites there?

I like the Savage fincast, Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, and I was just trying a bunch of other ones like 11 O'Clock Comics and Comic Geek Speak. In general I like that format where a few people riff and talk about a selection of 5 to 10 books or whatever. Seems like if I find a few pods I like I may know more of what comics are hitting.

I'm a big fan of the Savage Fincast, I just started listening to it and have been deep diving into their back catalog, it's pretty dope that they've been doing it for close to a decade at this point and keeping good pace with Erik Larsen and his road to Savage Dragon Issue 300.

I'm also a big fan of Cartoonist Kayfabe but it's more of a video podcast than an audio one since they do flip throughs of a lot of awesome books.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0v4IGzj2wK-PmjASkK2Rg

And it's not about comics, but Evan Dorkin's Tear Them Apart Podcast is pretty good if you like hearing Evan Dorkin rant and rave about bad movies.

https://tearthemapartpodcast.home.blog/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on! Gotta love good pod (and comic talk in general). And I definitely dig movie talk.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Good news everybody, Captain America showers.

https://twitter.com/updatevans/status/1423662637594910723

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was looking at Kickstarter and noticed one for a comic called Mary Machinegun. It featured a few pages from the comic to get people interested. Check out these horses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is Willy Wonka just chocolate Batman?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Batman is just good guy Dracula so Wonka is actually chocolate Dracula.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dragonshirt posted:

Batman is just good guy Dracula so Wonka is actually chocolate Dracula.

Count Chocula already exists.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1422206382938464263
(Kaine is gooigi)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will never accept the premise that Venom is Spiderman's Wario.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The best candidate for being Gooigi is Spiders-Man from Spidergeddon.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I will never accept the premise that Venom is Spiderman's Wario.

He's bulkier, started as an evil version of the other character, gained popularity and the went of to have a spin-off series.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We gotta get Venom visionaries like Erik Larsen or Todd McFarlane to draw some Wario sketches.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Wait, does this mean Carnage is uncircumcised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Wait, does this mean Carnage is uncircumcised?

I'm pretty sure Kletus Cassidy is an American with protestant parents, so he's probably circumcised. No idea what the tradition around symbiote dick is.