Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Zurui posted:

Your trope is...

Yeah, I don't know how you're going to make that one work either!

LaSquida posted:

What did I ever do to you

I'll take it off your hands. I love the idea of attempting to make a game about slapstick.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Looking ahead: How do we submit the first round entry? To you by email?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The trick is to spew bad game design ideas so that your competition pick them up and you win.

*ahem hem hem*

"I'm going to start writing a D&D hack."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I started thinking about it today.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Alright, done.

I'm pretty pleased with what I came up with -- it's incomplete but I think it's a decent core of something.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I favour anonymity until the final round, when all three creators are named next to their final work.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think I'm going to grab me Entry #8, although there are a lot of strong contenders.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The hardest part at this point is not expanding this into a full thing. Need to leave enough room for someone to put finishing touches on it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hmm. So I've reached 3000 words and it's just a mess. There's a hint of a game in there somewhere but it's going to need some substantial expansion.

On the other hand, since people can choose which entry they want to work on I feel less bad about submitting something that needs so much work. Folks can just avoid it if they like.

I suppose in theory I've got enough time to rewrite the whole thing to be more compact, but in practice I do not, in fact, have that time.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's only the second phase, so I think it's more important that you do something than that thing is complete or even good.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Antivehicular posted:

Same! There's definitely stuff here that will need a rework, to the point that I could probably put a FIX THIS, AUTHOR 3 section at the end

I'm pretty certain I did exactly that. Just draw a big circle around the bits I wanted to do but didn't and label it HINT HINT.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think I will take BUTTON MASHER. Got a few ideas for how I could expand that.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Antivehicular posted:

Let me know if you'd like a link to the original Google doc, btw; I just looked over the PDF, and a lot of the formatting got screwed with in the conversion. (Also the tables I made are gone? THANKS GOOGLE)

That would be pretty useful, yeah, thanks.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Alright, third-round entry in. I didn't really change much, just expanded on what was already there.

That said, I'd been kind of burned out on game design before I signed up for this little contest and this was a fun way to get back into it -- just doing small bits and pieces, a mechanism there, some lore here, limited to a couple of thousand words a go, that kind of thing. I've enjoyed all three stages and I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with the stuff I made in prior rounds.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Zurui posted:

Y'all have turned in some amazing stuff and it sounds like there's till more cooking!

Here is the list of entries so far

pre:
DalaranJ	Sćhrímnir
JMBosch		Tempo City Dreams
Hostile V	MAGICON
LaSquida	Shadow of the Moon Wizard
Antivehicular	In the Court of the Invisible King
Lux Animus	Skeleton Justice Warriors - Wizards Must Die!
Let me know if I missed anyone.

I'm on the spreadsheet but not on the above list, and I definitely sent you the link a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My original was the step-die resolution system. To answer someone's comment from back then, I'd heard of 20XX when I wrote it but never actually looked into it, so any similarities are entirely a case of convergent evolution.

It was also I who changed 'The Wizard Came From The Moon' to 'Shadow of the Moon Wizard' when I chose it as my stage 2. I feel like there were a lot of directions that the original could have gone in, and I chose... one of them.