Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

big deal at all. Maybe its got something to do with the boomer generation getting older and not wanting to be called "Grandma" and "Grandpa" because they are clinging to their youth but I'm hearing people just casually say ridiculous poo poo like.

"Oh I'm heading up to the lake to visit my Coookie and Vava"

Like, WHO?

"Yeah just a nice stroll out with my Pim Pam, you know we really have to savor these moments"

WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Im willing to oblige a nice "Nonna" or even "Mee-Maw" if its not some kind of put on. I love your "Yia-Yia" and "Papou". I can't wait to drink some Ouzo and compliment her Moussaka.

But who the gently caress are your "Be-bop and Goldie". This poo poo has gotten out of hand. Stop letting these fossils choose their own nicknames. I don't want to sound like some sort of traditionalist but we need to save Grandma and Grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010
I called my grandparents on my dad's side Nanna and Old Daddy. Does this meet with your approval OP?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Festus The Fetus posted:

I called my grandparents on my dad's side Nanna and Old Daddy. Does this meet with your approval OP?

Old Daddy seems really cumbersome, hilarious, and probably even more old sounding than "Grandpa". Was your Old Daddy seeking to style himself after a Blaxploitation style pimp? Did he choose Old Daddy or was it something your child brain came up with?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUitxzgnT88

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wtf do half of those words mean, just talk like a normal person

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Cleo & Baxter

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
Bebop and Not-steady.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Grumblepuff posted:

Bebop and Not-steady.

I call my grandma Third Wave West Coast Ska and my granddad Pap Pap

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Is this like some sort of sexual thing, OP?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I had Papaw and Mamaw (Wayne and Evelyn) and Grandma and Grandpa (Loanne and Sam)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My son's using all Chinese family descriptors. I like it. Being Baba is cool. I never wanted to be Dad.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bloopsy posted:

Is this like some sort of sexual thing, OP?

Hanging out on the porch sippin sweet tea with my Bloopsy and Grumbo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I called my grandparents Pap and Grammy with their last names, that worked fine with me.

I heard a kid at the grocery store say "OOOMA!" and an older woman came by, so I have to assume he calls his Grandma "Ooma"? That was a new one.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think that's ethnic. Sounds eastern european

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

All my grandparents sucked poo poo and I didn't have any special names for them for the one day a year (christmas) they were forced to spend time with grandchildren

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My mom was the oldest of 5 and all her siblings had at least 2 kids so my generation has a ton of grandkids. I also have this one Aunt who for the last 30 years has been trying to get everyone in the family to call my grandparents her specific nickname for them. The problem was she tried to get all us grandkids to go with it while we were all largely too old to buy into "Mimi and Poppers" so to this day everyone but her own kids just pretend we don't know who she's talking about. The best part is my grandparents also loving hate these nicknames so they will gladly go along with it. This once culminated in my grandpa shouting at my Aunt "WAIT, WHO THE gently caress IS POPPERS AGAIN WHY CAN'T I BE MIMI?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had one Grandma and Grandpa and one Nana and Papa and I think that was just fine

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My niece calls her grandma 'grandma' and her great grandma 'granny' and I think it's adorable

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I call my grandparents dead because they are.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

They're also eatin on the train, OP

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

A Fancy Hat posted:

I called my grandparents Pap and Grammy with their last names, that worked fine with me.

I heard a kid at the grocery store say "OOOMA!" and an older woman came by, so I have to assume he calls his Grandma "Ooma"? That was a new one.

I love to spend time with my

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Where did you get a picture of my Dim-Dom?

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

kntfkr posted:

I think that's ethnic. Sounds eastern european

OOOMA would not be eastern european. Sounds more like german "Oma" if anything.

kntfkr posted:

My son's using all Chinese family descriptors. I like it. Being Baba is cool. I never wanted to be Dad.

Baba though, is eastern european word for old lady/grandma, so maybe you should reconsider liking that!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife calls her grandma 'Oma'.

Her grandmother is a German living in Canada.
'Oma' is German for 'Grandma'.

She pronounces it like "Oh. Ma." though, not like "ooomah" or whatever that kid might have said.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I really like 'Old Daddy' as a grandfather name

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Captain Jesus posted:

Baba though, is eastern european word for old lady/grandma, so maybe you should reconsider liking that!

The kid is calling him a baba yaga, lol

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Gonna visit good ol purp and slurp. No, i don't know why we call them that, something about grandpas army days and how they met?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

MC Paps and DJ Grani on the mic

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Captain Jesus posted:

sure why not

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i tried getting my kid to say "pop pop" for my dad because my dad hates it but it didn't work and so he is yéye

mama and nana are basically the same

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
gonna visit my dickface and assturd this summer!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nosfereefer posted:

:chanpop:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I call my grandmother "Grams". I called my great-grandmother "Ma" and my great-grandfather "Pop". My grandfather died before I was born, and I don't know my father or his parents. Keeping it simple.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I think I was in high school when I discovered some people don't use Grandpa/Grandma which I had thought was a universal thing. Buddy referred to his Grandma as Nana and I'm like wut?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is my dad, and his dad, Double Dad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Dad squared and inverse mom

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nosfereefer posted:

gestures wildly at the backseat that'S RICHARD AND ASTRID now BEHAVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My grandparents are all dead ):