Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

LukasR23 posted:

And don't diss those 1HP bees, I'm sure they'll achieve something at some point against all odds or reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Remember, the fact that the sprite is still there at the same time as the numbers means that the truck is still alive. Beware the windshield, little bee!

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 3 - What a Gas

Not much is happening yet! We’ve got one extra prophet (already featured in the review), a random event at our capital, and the report for that one battle we did.

Sadly, the event is a bad one. Technically it's 115 gold of PD lost, but that's just a numerical approximation. If someone’s attacking my cap that’s already bad news, this isn’t fatal. Hopefully the battle report is better!

Kinda good! Ten casualties isn’t great, but a win is a win. Going to have to watch the battle report to see what precisely went wrong. Because I’m really not sure why we have ten deaths when the enemy only got three kills. Friendly fire? Unfortunate Chain lightning?

Our decently hefty forces. Note Fio Auto-blessing from the outpost kit.

And the other side! That’s a lot of foul spawn, and a lot of bloodhenge druids. Independent mages are a bit of a wildcard, as while they can technically cast anything most of them have some sort of curtailed spell list. I was expecting at least one or two dark vines here, but instead it’s just a whole mess of foul spawn. Most of which are just.. Weird little malformed monster things. One has a spider body and can web people, and that’s.. About it. I bet spider-spawn got that one kill.

Future note: If there were dark vines I'd have seen them in the scouting report. I'm just dumb.

Speaking of which, the problem is somewhat visible in that screenshot. Up in the top left.

You can see the guy murdering a blood slave to cast Sabbath Master directly below the stat block. He’s combining his powers with two other druids to allow him to cast more powerful spells! Maybe he’ll cast something scary that kills people, or a strong summon. Generally I consider Sabbath Master/Slave inferior to a normal communion simply because the spell is worse, but sometimes you've just got to go with what works.

He’s effectively a Nature 2 Blood 3 caster right now, and thus can put out some decent blood spells. Now I could watch the battle and see what happens.. But it’s often a bit tricky to see who's cast what and cross referencing is frustrating. So I’m going to peek ahead a bit and check the unit overview tab for what he casts over the battle.

Barkskin is a wimpy self-buff… but poison cloud is a wimpy offensive spell. Most of the time. Generally it’s useless simply because the AI doesn’t know to lead its shots, and will toss it on a bunch of horsemen who just ride through the cloud and go back to merrily slaughtering something a dozen squares away. But here? Against my mostly static gunline?

That’s not good. The two soldiers standing slightly out in front both die horribly a frame later - one from friendly fire, the other from being eaten by the deadly spider-spawn. Knew they'd do something. There's also a sleep cloud rolling through, which is somewhat limiting my damage output due to a few men being unconscious instead of opening fire.

Bullets and smites from the FCV and Fio keep on hitting home, and it doesn’t take long for the spawn to break. Which is a welcome relief, as the soldiers chasing means they’re finally running out of the poison cloud. It turns out Eri has done nothing the entire battle, due to some bad scripting on my part - her thunder weapon has too short a range, so she just sat there while the main gunline ran forward. Going to need to fix her scripting for the next battle.

(Also that red cloud is agony, but it didn't do anything.)

She did still get to have some fun though, running in after the retreating units and getting a few cheeky kills on unconscious spellcasters. During the rout soldiers keep on dropping, poison ticks killing another four or so including that unfortunate recruit.

Even after the battle is technically ‘won’ there’s a few more rounds where poison and other damage over time effects can proc, allowing for one last death. All in all this was a decent victory, but one I’d rather not have again. Definitely should have gone for one of the other provinces first.

Although I’ve taken losses, the expansion must continue! Now with some slight scripting tweaks.

Eri gets two spellcasts before being told to use the generic ‘fire’ rather than specific fire commands, as she’ll take this as “Advance into shooting range and then fire” instead of just standing there dumbfounded. This should match up perfectly with the remaining soldiers, who will wait two rounds before advancing into firing range - assuming the enemy doesn’t get there first. The FCV-prophet has lost some HP and gained an affliction from being outside of the capital, but she’ll live. Mostly.

It’s not a bad affliction anyway. She’ll definitely live.
And we have profited from her pain! Note the magic site. That province to the north is “Milita, Archers and Heavy Infantry.” Nothing particularly dangerous, although archers can do some damage to the soldiers if they get in range before routing. This will likely be the last encounter for the Command Vehicle on this trek out, and I might have to take a turn off from expanding to get Fio and Eri some real gear as well.

That, or they’ll die and I need a few turns to recover. But eh. We’ll see!

This free site is by no means *useful* to me yet, but two gems of any type is one astral pearl - and two pearls means one earth/fire gem. I don’t get any native air access outside of mercenaries because BaronOhShi is cruel and hates mages, so this is otherwise kind of useless to me. Although… This was a druid province. Maybe I can recruit some independent mages?

Nope!
Regular Army is incapable of recruiting any independents. At all. Even the site ones aren’t allowed to be recruited as far as I know, or throne ones. As I've said, the mod developer is a bad, bad man.

Future Note: Throne recruits are allowed. I'll figure this out eventually.

My capital recruitment is still available though, and I’m following up the first AI with the second - and a non-unique gimmick commander to follow.

Heart has the advantage of four item slots to her sister’s two, but other than that they’re identical. I really don’t get why only one has four slots.

Future note: This is a bug. They’re both supposed to have four slots. When asked BaronOhShi had this to say.

“for some reason the shape is after the itemslots on one of them, even though I would have thought I just copy pasted
being that theyre the same really
Whelp”

And this.

Ah well. It shouldn’t matter much, but it’s still annoying.

Not that it matters much. The Arms dealer is a lot more interesting, although his gimmick isn’t really explained in-game.
Each fort with an arms dealer will generate one of about eight random events each turn, providing me with a random Regular-Army unique item. All of these can be forged at Construction 2, but this way costs zero gems and the Arms Dealer’s upkeep in gold.

They’re completely useless in a fight, so I’m expecting to get rather annoyed at arms dealers past a certain point. If you leave them patrolling they get murdered outside the fort, but if you leave them ‘defending’ they count as idle. Oh well, it’s nowhere near as bad as scout networks. The wait command cuts this down dramatically, but I hadn't learned about this when I was testing or for most of the early game.

I’ve also grabbed ten more recruits, who will be sitting in the capital for a few months before the magical tour bus takes them to go die in a foreign land. That about covers this turn, so bring on the next one!

Next time: Construction 1 researched, and hopefully a much cleaner battle.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
*shows up with beardbeard hat and beardbeard giant foam hand* Is beardbeard winning?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

For your arms dealers, you can order them to wait, I think, which I think is a command that makes them sit still and not come up as idle commanders.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ristolaz posted:

*shows up with beardbeard hat and beardbeard giant foam hand* Is beardbeard winning?

Beardbeard is Ryugo-jo, the UW dragons (and also put the game together including organising the mods mingling)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

LukasR23 posted:

Not that it matters much. The Arms dealer is a lot more interesting, although his gimmick isn’t really explained in-game.
Each fort with an arms dealer will generate one of about eight random events each turn, providing me with a random Regular-Army unique item. All of these can be forged at Construction 2, but this way costs zero gems and the Arms Dealer’s upkeep in gold.

This is a cool gimmick. I look forward to seeing a RAWKET LAWNCHAIR or HEAVY MACHINE GUN in action.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

This is a cool gimmick. I look forward to seeing a RAWKET LAWNCHAIR or HEAVY MACHINE GUN in action.

No heavy machine guns, they got lost in the Domingler transition.. somehow.

But every commando has one by default, so you'll get your machine gun action!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

LukasR23 posted:

The wait command cuts this down dramatically, but I hadn't learned about this when I was testing or for most of the early game.
You poor soul!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do the arms dealers stack? Could be pretty fun to get a ton of weapons and then sell them to pretenders on the other side of the world.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Into this bee and wasp filled world, descend with automatic weapons.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Donkringel posted:

Do the arms dealers stack? Could be pretty fun to get a ton of weapons and then sell them to pretenders on the other side of the world.

Arms dealers are once per labbed fort per turn. Also they'll occasionally bug out due to the heavy machine gun not existing in the mingled mod. Stacking them is totally possible, if a bit expensive.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 4 - “Current goal: beeline as fast as i can to the other gamers cap and smother them in the crib”

Quote from BeardBeard diplomacy during this update.

Things are proceeding uneventfully! We’ve gotten our first level of research, and it’s a fairly irrelevant one in the grand scheme of things. Construction 1 provides nothing of value to us sadly, and is merely a springboard for more powerful tools to come.

Every unique item or summon the Regular army gets is in construction, and every one of them is worth the cost one way or another. Cropping means the final level 9 spell is off-screen in this case, but we’ll get to it once we’re a little closer. It’s a right nasty one.

Every single Earth/Fire spell on this list can be cast by my god, and we’ll be using all of them at least once in this LP if I last that long. Special mention to ‘Declare Hostilities’, as it is the catalyst for us going from a gimmick nation to an actual fighting force with a competent-ish set of commanders.

We’ll see if I actually get that far, though.

The combat actually went pretty well! Zero Casualties, and a lot of kills for one of my heroes. I’ll summarise the key events, as it looks like my scripting changes were key to ensuring this went more cleanly - although the lack of poison cloud druids helped a lot too.

The armies are arrayed in a pretty normal fashion, my forward placement letting the truck get in a cheeky smite on round 1. Their archers get a free volley in as well, but it doesn’t do much at all.

One guy gets lightly injured, nothing else.

The return volley does far more in return. Weirdly both enemy squads split at this point, the milita heading up a little while the heavies continue running directly at my gunline. ‘Directly up’ in this context meaning directly at Eri. Fools.

Her battery gets to have a proper showcase in return. It chains through up to five militia, dealing damage to each of them - although unfortunately not enough to kill on its own. Each soldier hit also has a chance to be stunned, in this case only one was unfortunate enough to fall victim to this. He’s the greyed out one at the bottom.

And is having an awful day. I’m not quite sure how a lighting bolt diseased him, but he won’t have long to worry about it.

A second volley of bullets and lighting is enough to send that squad routing, running for the hills and instantly dying once they leave because they’ve got nowhere to go. As is the fate of most independents.

The heavy infantry are still advancing however, and even manage to make it into melee range! Barely. I’m impressed by their morale rolls in this case, losing half their number should have forced some sort of check.

But their bravery comes to nothing, and one last smite from the FCV wipes them out to a man.

I’ve been ignoring the archers for most of this battle because they’ve done.. Well.. nothing of note. At all. A stray arrow did 15HP of damage to Fio, but she’s still alive and has zero afflictions so I stand by ‘Nothing of note’.

They quickly rout as well after a few lighting bolts from Eri, and the battle is won!
Perfect.

Sadly this doesn’t get her into the hall of fame. Wonder if that’s a bug?

Future Lukas Note: Units that start with a heroic ability can't get into the hall of fame. Known-ish bug, happened in Clowns.dm as well.

Both of these are mercenaries. I’m currently too poor to bid for mercenaries because it takes several turns for my scales to stabilise beyond “AWFUL” and thus I’m very gold-poor.

For now, we’re going home. I don’t feel confident taking either of those provinces with my current forces, and there’s a nice spot down south that I can definitely take with Fio and Eri while the regulars handle that rather large army in the Farseer mountains.

Baypond is probably going to be one of the last provinces I take. Knights are scary, especially against my current forces. I’ll come back with a larger force or maybe just some better equipment. If my neighbour doesn’t take it first, anyway. Say hello to Ryugo-Jo!

A nation of Crab people and dragon people. They’re the second underwater nation in this game, and frankly I like them a lot more than LA Oceania for a variety of reasons. And by “Like” I mean “I think I can kill them if they get in my way.” I’m talking to them on discord while doing this turn, and the summary is at the bottom.

Capital recruitment is the same as ever, another dozen recruits and a single POW to back up my utter lack of scout recruitment ability. Next turn I’ll start recruiting some of my more combat-capable commanders, but an early arms dealer is a fantastic investment in terms of equipment generation. Every turn he’s up is another free weapon or other item.

Diplomatic Interlude

Ryugo-Jo is run by BeardBeard, an all-around nice guy in my impression. At least so far. As a reminder, capital provinces are named after their nation and thus immediately identifiable from a distance. Oceania is two provinces south-east from me, and I’ve posted it in prior turns even if we’ve not technically made contact.

Note - these logs are slightly abridged, and Beard gave permission to be quoted. Thanks again, BeardBeard!

Lukas — Today at 15:15
Yo
I'd rather not pick a fight with an UW so have a hello from me.
Oceania's cap is super close and frankly you seem easier to deal with so hit me up when the inevitable underwaterbowl happens
beardbeard — Today at 15:15
the noble crabs and dragons and half dragons with a funny anti laceania bless have nothing but respect for our land neighbors
current goal: beeline as fast as i can to the other gamers cap and smother them in the crib

(I directed him towards Oceania’s capital province on the off chance he hadn’t seen it yet.)

beardbeard — Today at 15:17
my specific bless is: lots of poison resistance so that his gimmick doesnt hurt me, darkvision (wont end up mattering) and i think defense skill because the mod author forgot to give the oceania troops attack skill
i tell you this in good faith and for the writeup
Lukas — Today at 15:19
Anyway, good luck dunking on Oceania
I'm about to hit con2, so while I'd rather not tip my hand with the unique items I can prolly provide something or other if you think it'll kick the balance in your favour
beardbeard — Today at 15:28
probably nothing i need
plan is to just send some blessed half dragons and many crabs at him until he stops moving

Right now he poses zero threat to me, and his army of blessed poison-resistant half dragons and crab people should be able to wipe out Oceania before they cause me any problems.

Next time: Construction 2, our first item/summon breakdown, and hopefully no battles!

This feels like a prescient time to remind people to not spoil events that happen on future turns. Same turn? Sure. Next turn? Please don't. Current turn? Hell no.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Gotta love the underwater thunderdome.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Yeah, as a land nation it's always extremely reassuring when the UW nations immediately declare hellwar instead of, say, living in harmony since they're the only ones that can really hurt each other this early.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, what amusing diplomatic messages!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

LukasR23 posted:

Next time: Construction 2, our first item/summon breakdown, and hopefully no battles!

The thought of not taking at least one province every turn while expanding makes me physically sick to my stomach.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The thought of not taking at least one province every turn while expanding makes me physically sick to my stomach.

My thoughts exactly

well not exactly more like "you idiot, you fool of a took!"

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I’m erring on the side of caution because of how many of my expansion tests had both heroes get brutally slaughtered unexpectedly. Better one province less than three turns waiting for them to respawn. Regular Army does not have good early expansion at all, and I’m technically doing better than I should be.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm surprised at the girls' survivability considering their seeming fragility.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

You and all the villains of Metal Slug, really.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not, with all of those abilities, attacks and the invuln to normal weapons they are not even going to care about anything less than a heavy cav unit coming down on them with a lance.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm not, with all of those abilities, attacks and the invuln to normal weapons they are not even going to care about anything less than a heavy cav unit coming down on them with a lance.

Or a critical mass of normal troops, though that reform chance... keep asking your folks for quarters...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You should be able to forge a Quarter out of earth gems and expend it to immediately respawn a hero.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

You should be able to forge a Quarter out of earth gems and expend it to immediately respawn a hero.

Maybe a Quarter item that has Phoenix Pyre as a start-of-battle spell or perhaps just grants 1-month reform immortality?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I feel like you could create a whole mod nation around the concept of an arcade.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe a Quarter item that has Phoenix Pyre as a start-of-battle spell or perhaps just grants 1-month reform immortality?

It's important that it be single-use though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There are single use revive items in the game already. So implementing it is certainly possible.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

my dad posted:

There are single use revive items in the game already. So implementing it is certainly possible.

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot that one heart item which... I'm starting to wonder why I never slapped on any thugs.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

PurpleXVI posted:

the Coin of Continuity

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like this is 100% the case already in Metal Slug mod

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Bonus update: MY GOD

I had originally had this as part of the intro post, but it got.. Lost. somehow. So it’s time to break down my pretender god options!

...oh. That’s a bit limited. Well, let's start off with the one I didn't choose for this game.

Yeah. I don’t get to choose my god. It’s chosen for me. But that doesn’t mean it can’t have a whole bucket of neat gimmicks!

My scales are going to get slowly reset to 'Normal but drain 3' as the game goes on, for the record. I don't think I commented on this much early on (this is being rewritten as of turn ~35 or so, if you want a chronological reference.)

The Regular army only gets one god. One god with one set of magic paths and scales. BaronOhShi has a lot to answer for, frankly. As combat chassis go it’s.. Really not great. It can shrug off a few magic attacks and you’re not killing it without a half decent assassin or remote attack, but if it goes outside of the capital it takes 49% of its HP in damage. Every turn.

Now you’d think it would be useless with just 1 level in two magic paths. BUT. Keen Dominions players will obviously notice those icons up there.

When he’s not on the battlefield, the Command HQ is effectively at fifth level in both magic paths. Before boosters. Slots aren't fantastic though, so I can't use any booster isn't an accessory - leaving me effectively capped at Fire 6 and Earth 5 pre-artifact unless I can somehow get a skull of fire. But while my paths are capped at creation, that doesn’t stop other shenanigans from occurring. Empowerment is not forbidden, so if I can somehow scrape together 50 gems of any type…

That’s where the fun begins. I can pull myself into any path with some difficulty if I can scrape together enough gems, and immediately begin casting or forging the more powerful things it gives me. I'll admit I hadn't considered this until someone in the discord brought it up, but it's an option with hilarious potential.

In a way it's a lot like the rest of the Regular Army. At its core it's incredibly static despite the gimmicks, but the moment you start bending the rules things get weird in ways the developer probably didn't intend.

Tomorrow I'll be posting turn 5! Where absolutely nothing interesting happens. I swear.

The Lone Badger posted:

There is an extra credit item! And the non-main heroes can be resummoned for roughly the same cost when I inevitably get them killed like a moron.

It's single use and is immediately consumed upon death to guarantee a respawn at a random place on the battlefield. Really useful, except on the main four because of their lack of good default gear.

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 29, 2021

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

It's single use and is immediately consumed upon death to guarantee a respawn at a random place on the battlefield. Really useful, except on the main four because of their lack of good default gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs53c0q6kHg

wrong game, but same spirit

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 5 - Lightly Chilled Elemental

Future Lukas Note: This turn was unfortunately lost to the void, but I wrote this in advance.

I said last time that there'd be no battles unless something went wrong.

This is pretty much the definition of “Something goes wrong.” Fun fact - you can tell from the event icon whether or not a ‘battle’ event took the province off you. Going to go from top to bottom, then show off the battle.
Construction 2 is incredibly important, enabling the first level of forges for the Command HQ and our first reliable method of gearing out commanders. And our first research booster of many.

The first event is honestly fairly boring. The first item of many from our friendly local arms dealer. It’s been sent to the lab, but this is going on Fio immediately. The other event...

I’m inclined to blame Oceania. Somehow.

This is about what I expected, honestly. Most random attacks that aren’t “Thirty knights” aren’t that big a threat, especially because they don’t have any shields. I’ll still show this one off, both for content reasons and because I'm curious what killed off that poor soldier.

I bet it’s friendly fire.

...Huh. There’s something here that wasn’t in the preview. See that big blue thing on the left there?

A water elemental! A full-size one, too. It wasn’t in the battle report and the Itchycentaur can’t summon them, so presumably he brought a magic item along with him. Water elementals are nasty at the best of times - especially underwater, where they regenerate - but under normal circumstances you can’t bring them to a fight without paying gems.

And yup, there it is.

Honestly a pretty great item, but one that is forever lost to me due to my lack of water access. No matter. The rest of the fight is pretty uneventful, but I’ll still include a few gratuitous shots of bullets hitting home for the fun of it.

Especially as this is our first and possibly only time seeing the defence gun in action. They put out a tasty five 22AP shots per round per gun, but they’re also completely immobile and I don’t like units that never move. I fully expect to be proven wrong later somehow, but for now they’re.. Not on the ‘to use’ list. Nice when they join my PD, though!

Future Lukas Note: They're also wall defenders for me. Good stuff.

They’ve got Formation Fighter -1, and are unable to stack more than one per square as a result.

The rest of the battle is uneventful - the Sea dogs get shot a lot and flee, and only the water elemental gets close enough to hit something.

Poor guy.
This is immediately followed by the centaur fleeing and the water elemental slowly but surely being shot to pieces.

...Hang on. This is a cold province. Shouldn’t that have been an ice elemental?

Future Lukas Note: Not cold enough province for an ice elemental to spawn, apparently. 'Cold map' levels of cold are lower than the ones needed for ice elementals to spawn.

Questions for the ages aside, nothing else too interesting happened this turn. Our new arms dealer is sitting pretty in the capital, the scout is being sent eastwards to check on what I’ve been told is a capital province for (a) Cassia and I’m sending the ladies down while the FCV goes north with another fairly hefty force.

Fio is now toting our new rocket launcher, which should provide some useful area of affect fire against the mighty...

Dozen or so men sitting there. Normally a province this empty is the sign that someone already attacked and lost, but this province has been like this from the start. Wonder what that’s all about. Just a lucky random generation? Did they kill some crabs prior to this?

The rocket launcher itself is one of many items unique to the Regular Army. 18AP damage isn’t bad, and the precision is.. Reasonable. But that’s a nice tasty AoE as well, so hopefully it does good work - or at least softens up the enemy enough for Eri’s battery to finish the job.

Future Lukas: that +8 Precision is REALLY GOOD. Precision above 10 is doubled, so Fio gets effectively 30 precision with it. She'll still miss, but she's a lot better with it than other weapons.

Speaking of which, their orders have changed. Again. Eri has the outpost kit now so she can smite before charging in, and Fio is just under orders to fire the rocket launcher repeatedly. Arrows can still hurt her, but she’s just one size 2 unit so hopefully there shouldn’t be any trouble.

I’m a little less certain about the other province, although if 41 recruits and soldiers can’t kill a bunch of men armed with blowguns and knives then my history textbooks lied to me. Under normal circumstances I’d order my army to be in a line rather than a box of shame, but for some reason the FCV cannot do any squad shape commands at all beyond the default box or skirmish. And skirmish is just asking for trouble due to the -1 morale penalty.

The only other thing of note this turn is the discovery of ANOTHER neighbour. Meet Dedarag, who are… off-brand dwarves. I think. They’ve got a decent starting area, but they’re a bit close to me for my liking. VERY heavy astral, so that definitely makes me want to rush them. Late and even Mid-game astral magic has lots of ways to permanently gently caress up my immortals, so killing them before they can soul slay me is absolutely on the table. Still not sure yet though. Cassia and my Southern Neighbour haven't shown themselves, and they might be easier targets.

My god is being set to forge one of the many unique items the Regulars get, and the only non-combat item given to me at Con2. It's a research booster!

Sadly the 1.1 does not stack with itself, but each AI can equip one for +200 total research. It’ll help me hit my research goals that much faster.
Recruitment is a little more interesting - another set of recruits, and my first Commando.

Commandos are basically baby versions of my heroes. 20% reform chance, none of the immortality or invulnerability, but they get some decent equipment to make up for it. The Heavy Machine Gun! is something that can be forged with the mod normally but a weird domingler bug lead to it being removed. Not a huge deal, because these guys get one for free alongside some half-decent protection. I’ll probably be using a lot of these guys, as they’re useful backup for the main four and they can cart around all those excess weapons I'll be getting from my arms dealers.

Next time: Two Provinces at once!

This turn was a little empty, unfortunately. I've got my opinions on Dedarag written at this point but it's coloured by events that happen ten-fifteen turns out so I'm holding off on it for now. Future Zero-battle turns will be boiled in with a bonus update in the same post or just straight-up bolted onto another update, depending on how many off those I have at the time.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

(01/09/19 05:37)
<arcvasti> oh my god this random indie had a water bottle as a starting item and now my expander is dead

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
See my one big problem with mod nations is that the author usually has preconceived way that the nation should be played, whether it's a mixture of random events, shuffling units to specific sites, casting spells, or using the god in a specific way. A lot of times there is some spell you are supposed to cast right away that I completely miss.

I appreciate this mod because it gives you one option. One path. Not gonna miss anything because their is nothing to miss with your pretender, scales or magic choices.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
The refreshing simplicity just lets me go off the rails in new and exciting ways. I'm pretty sure I've given BaronOhShi a migrane at least once while detailing my plans to him.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Donkringel posted:

See my one big problem with mod nations is that the author usually has preconceived way that the nation should be played, whether it's a mixture of random events, shuffling units to specific sites, casting spells, or using the god in a specific way. A lot of times there is some spell you are supposed to cast right away that I completely miss.

This is how I feel about Hellenika nations like feet or rocks sometimes. Ideally to me a mod nation should make it so you have plenty of options/paths to take but dont really sideline yourself out of playing it just because you picked the wrong god paths. But yes. Appreciate the honesty of Metal Slug here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RAWKET LAUNCHER.

You heard it in your head the moment it dropped, don't lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Couple questions, one about the mod pack and one about the game.

Mods: Was there maybe an item ID conflict of some sort? If so, something might've overwritten the equippable HMG. (We'll find out for sure if something weird turns up from the Arms Dealers, I guess.)

Game: I know you can't tell us much, if anything, about turns that you haven't posted in an update yet, but can you at least tell us the current turn number?

Night10194 posted:

RAWKET LAUNCHER.

You heard it in your head the moment it dropped, don't lie.

I did not. I heard RAWKET LAWNCHAIR! No launchers here, philistine. :arghfist::cheeky: