Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

Xarn posted:

Mods are text files, right? Why not just keep them in git?

Keep them in what? And no need to insult me, wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Lmao love it

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

BaronOhShi posted:

Keep them in what? And no need to insult me, wow

Pretty sure he means GitHub. I... don't know enough about programming to describe it very well, but basically it's a database for programmers to put their WIPs on.

(Saying this because it's hard to tell if you're being serious in text format.)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Pretty sure he means GitHub. I... don't know enough about programming to describe it very well, but basically it's a database for programmers to put their WIPs on.

(Saying this because it's hard to tell if you're being serious in text format.)

it was a joke

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 11 - Opening Salvo

Unfortunately this turn was lost to the Ether, so I can't go back and take extra shots.

Everything as expected. That stupid arms dealer gave me another grenade box, though. Damnit man, get some new materiel!

(The worldwide event is just the thaumaturgy thing again, nothing big.)

Hell, at this point it might be worth selling them to someone.

This is all we get for summoning Perche. I’ll show her off after the battle report. Which.. Looks pretty good!

Nobody important died, and I don’t think Fio lost her gear to some unfortunate mess-up either. We missed the caster though. Bah!
Only two notable things happened that batte. The first was Fio’s chillies only hitting when she was literally within sneezing distance of the enemy. 5 range is.. Way less than I’d thought.

The other was some rather painful friendly fire. Machine guns hurt.

Speaking of hurting.. That guy took a few blows. I’m going to peer into the combat log and check a few things.

To be exact, what sort of damage he was taking. It’s pretty clear that melee just.. Doesn’t work on these dwarves/dwalves/tiny typos. But my ranged weapons have done nasty things to them so far. I reckon that if I can do enough damage early on to break them, the entire army will rout and then probably get shot to pieces enough or disperse in a way that fucks them over. Basically halving their protection goes a huge way when you're cutting through 20 prot armoured units with shields.

But these two aren’t going to be able to take on an army. For that I need… a lot more firepower.

Meet Perche! She’ll be providing it.

She’s missing the immortality, sacred-ness, and holy levels, but my god does her weapon make up for it. And a 27 damage melee actually has good odds against 20 prot. Kinda.

20 20 Damage Armour Piercing bullets at range 30. And she gets 15 shots! This is glorious and slightly terrifying.
Sadly she loses the weapon if given anything else, but she doesn’t need anything else. God. drat. And if she dies, she can be instantly resummoned at a cost.

Dominions 5 map movement is all simultaneous. If two armies try to move into each other there’s a dice roll to see who hits first, but if someone’s going into your territory you can move in as well to guarantee an interception and a battle on your turf. Frankly it’s half strategy and half mind reading.

I don’t trust my mind reading abilities, so I’m banking on him going for the farm and moving everything there. If he goes this way, he’ll run into Perche, my Prophet, a lot of angry men with guns, and a couple of protagonists.

If he goes to the darkwoods I can split over his entire territory - especially seeing as I don’t rely on forts. I’ll also be able to just patrol my capital and gun him down with the defences there. There's no cost even if he kills the PD, either. FCVs will bring most of it back in a turn or two.

Speaking of Isurian, I’m taking all but six recruits back to the capital, and swapping the FCV for one equipped with that Effigy of War from before. This should make it look like I’ve still got ~50 soldiers there, and ensure Ramc doesn’t get any ideas.
(JonJoe jonKnows I have it, but I think he’s busy.)

Perche is under simple orders - shoot the bejesus out of anything she pleases. Once she runs out of ammo she’ll charge in and start punching, but I’d rather the enemy be dead by then to minimise the chance of her or anyone else dying. The metal slugs are on fire archers in case he's brought crossbowmen, but it does limit the chance of them blowing up my own lines.

This is another case of careful movement. That army up north cannot reach Range of Shadow this turn due to it being over the mountains - which require a heat scale to cross. My dominion is cold, and we’re in winter.
Any other province I could try to take would either be at risk of counterattack from the army in his capital or heavily defended. Or both, if I was dumb enuogh to his his cap directly. These two definitely can’t kill an army on their own yet, even with Marco coming along to help.

Also he’s making a fort. Shutting that down will be funny as hell. If I’m lucky, he might even make the lab before I attack!

...See if you can spot the huge flaw in my plan.

Boy am I glad I figured this one out before posting the turn, but you still get to see my flawed assumptions!

Every single Dwarf has mountain survival.
They don’t care if it’s too cold to cross, they can do it anyway. And that Dwarven Smith I saw last turn is missing. I don’t know if they’ve already gotten a commander back there, but a dozen Dwarves would be a match for two heroes. I’m going to need to send more up there.

Future Lukas Note: A generic commander can't do this, as they lack the required survival tag. Armies move at the effective speed of the slowest unit among them as far as I'm aware, so a commander without mountain survival couldn't cross even if all the men under his command could.

I’ve refactored my movement orders. Watched too Much rambo and both metal slugs are going to the Range of Shadow along with Tarma. Four heroes and two slugs should do enough damage to force a retreat. Marco and Eri will instead head to assist my prophet and Perche, and even if they die should do enough damage to handle the enemy expansion.

God, this is actually kind of anxiety inducing. I’m really not looking forward to seeing what’ll happen.

Oh, and I’m grabbing more metal slugs. I may need them.

Next time: Aaaaaaaaa

Future Lukas interjection:
Yeaaaah, not my finest moment. But I didn't want to retroactively edit it, because this is actually how my thought process went at the time. I'm kind of curious what the more skilled players think of my decision making at this stage. I still think taking the fort down before it could complete was the right decision even if it did risk me losing the other battle.

And that Cobald should have done what I was theorising he'd done with that mage rather than just sending it to the fort to build a lab.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

LukasR23 posted:

I still think taking the fort down before it could complete was the right decision even if it did risk me losing the other battle.

I think this depends on how sure you are of a win. This early, getting a free fort that someone else built could be a very nice deal, especially since early game gold for fort-building is often in short supply, so if your economy is pinched, but you're pretty sure of a win, I'd have considered waiting for the fort to go up and then moving in.

On the other hand, losing your first fort under construction is often a morale breaking event for a lot of people, and real-world morale breaks are even more devastating than in-game morale breaks.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

I think this depends on how sure you are of a win. This early, getting a free fort that someone else built could be a very nice deal, especially since early game gold for fort-building is often in short supply, so if your economy is pinched, but you're pretty sure of a win, I'd have considered waiting for the fort to go up and then moving in.

On the other hand, losing your first fort under construction is often a morale breaking event for a lot of people, and real-world morale breaks are even more devastating than in-game morale breaks.

It's a mix of that and that at the time I didn't think I could project enough power to safely siege down two forts at once. This war was very much a test run for the Regular Army in a serious combat situation, and I hadn't fully figured out how to use FCVs or leadership items to get my armies rolling outside my territory on a long-term basis.

Knowing what I do now I could probably have left the fort and taken it after it finished, but it would have given him a chance to reclaim his starting army and build more units that could conceivably threaten me.

...Man, I'm gonna need to write a big post once this war concludes. I have a lot of thoughts on it, but I'll keep most of them bottled up for now beause it's barely even started in the LP.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...Do you conquer or destroy forts you've sieged?

Also, I have no idea what those numbers mean, but Perche still looks like a horrifying abomination of a unit for anyone that isn't controlling her (and maybe a few that are, depending on scripting skill). I mean, just the "20 attacks" part would be enough to spook a lot of people, right?

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

...Do you conquer or destroy forts you've sieged?

Also, I have no idea what those numbers mean, but Perche still looks like a horrifying abomination of a unit for anyone that isn't controlling her (and maybe a few that are, depending on scripting skill). I mean, just the "20 attacks" part would be enough to spook a lot of people, right?

I'd say "I'll get into this later" but frankly fort sieges take forever sometimes.

Essentially when you attack a fort province you first fight the province defence - and any units set to patrol. If you win this battle you control the territory around the fortress, but not the big castle/citadel/ice tower/anthill/whatever the nation has built. After this for every turn you still occupy the province the strength (literal, actual strength with some modifiers - those metal slugs count as like 30 normal humans because cannons) of the attackers is checked against the strength of the defenders. If you have more people outside than they have inside, the wall strength starts ticking down. Once it hits zero you can breach and attack the forces inside the fort, and if you win then the fort is yours to keep.

Until someone sieges it down and takes it off you, anyway.

As for Perche...

Well, she's got a few weaknesses. The most obvious one being that she's not wearing a hat. I'll let the better dominions players explain how they'd kill her though as I'm not 100% on how I'd do it beyond just burying her in cavalry or something.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Actually, how does metal slug ever siege forts? Most of your units are homesick so you rely on heroes and slugs, but those aren't enough to siege a fort right?

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Eeepies posted:

Actually, how does metal slug ever siege forts? Most of your units are homesick so you rely on heroes and slugs, but those aren't enough to siege a fort right?

...Ah. Looks like I forgot to mention this. I'll edit it into the post where I unveil their hilarious statlines.

The average human has a siege strength of 1. Each Metal slug is 43 men worth of wall damage. Also the homesickness is exclusive to the commanders - I can sacrifice one (it takes five turns to die) to siege down a fort with an army of recruits or soldiers, or use another method of gaining leadership.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

LukasR23 posted:

I'd say "I'll get into this later" but frankly fort sieges take forever sometimes.

Essentially when you attack a fort province you first fight the province defence - and any units set to patrol. If you win this battle you control the territory around the fortress, but not the big castle/citadel/ice tower/anthill/whatever the nation has built. After this for every turn you still occupy the province the strength (literal, actual strength with some modifiers - those metal slugs count as like 30 normal humans because cannons) of the attackers is checked against the strength of the defenders. If you have more people outside than they have inside, the wall strength starts ticking down. Once it hits zero you can breach and attack the forces inside the fort, and if you win then the fort is yours to keep.

Until someone sieges it down and takes it off you, anyway.

As for Perche...

Well, she's got a few weaknesses. The most obvious one being that she's not wearing a hat. I'll let the better dominions players explain how they'd kill her though as I'm not 100% on how I'd do it beyond just burying her in cavalry or something.
Isn't there that medal that gives armor could that be used to give Perche a helmet?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

LukasR23 posted:

Once it hits zero you can breach and attack the forces inside the fort, and if you win then the fort is yours to keep.

And for most factions, forts with labs and/or temples are really their only way to generate wizards and troops that are required to win the game, plus they protect your fragile temples against dickhead raiders, plus they increase province income and supplies, thus making them both economically important and useful as staging posts.

Also also without connection to a fort, any province's gold income just vanishes into the aether, so if you don't steal or build extra forts, your economy becomes very precarious.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'd get dudes with bows and shoot her, she is not wearing a helmet and is a squishy human

that 16 prot she is displaying is the average of her 20 armor suit and... well her squishy head.

Frankly in dominions having a hat is better than having body armor in a lot of cases, some units can take a lot of stabbing in the torso but if you get a bad crit on your head... you die/lose your paths/other nasty stuff.

TLDR: PUT HATS ON YOUR HATLESS PEOPLE

tankfish posted:

Isn't there that medal that gives armor could that be used to give Perche a helmet?

Perche there has a hat slot, she could easily be given a magical hat, most high protection hats are earth/fire anyway so should be craftable by the bradley bunch.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I thought if you interrupted a fort being built you could have a commander pick up the leftovers and complete it yourself? Maybe I'm just crazy, felt like that changed.

That being said, interrupting a fort build at this point is absolutely worth it! Tying up your army early game can be a sign of weakness to others. Frankly that effigy of war is super useful for projecting fake strength.

Another thing is that you don't want to be dealing with that Dorf PD. No fort means you're fighting the trash indie pd. If that fort goes up then you have to chew through heavily armored assholes.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

tankfish posted:

She's lacking the armor slot for some reason - I can give her a helmet, but I can't change out her armour because it's.. literally her body I guess.

But otherwise you'd be correct! The standard medal of protection the mod provices gives both normal protection and head protection for a reason.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Donkringel posted:

I thought if you interrupted a fort being built you could have a commander pick up the leftovers and complete it yourself? Maybe I'm just crazy, felt like that changed.

That being said, interrupting a fort build at this point is absolutely worth it! Tying up your army early game can be a sign of weakness to others. Frankly that effigy of war is super useful for projecting fake strength.

Another thing is that you don't want to be dealing with that Dorf PD. No fort means you're fighting the trash indie pd. If that fort goes up then you have to chew through heavily armored assholes.

Remember that Mu lp where, uh, machaka was sieging sceleria's cap for like 20 turns

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Perche there has a hat slot, she could easily be given a magical hat, most high protection hats are earth/fire anyway so should be craftable by the bradley bunch.

It also depends a lot on unit size, units attacked by bigger units are ostensibly more at risk of getting hit in the head. So a size 2 commander needs a hat more than a size 6 commander.

Donkringel posted:

You can pick up your own fort building if the province is still yours, but not other people's fort building.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

It also depends a lot on unit size, units attacked by bigger units are ostensibly more at risk of getting hit in the head. So a size 2 commander needs a hat more than a size 6 commander.

You can pick up your own fort building if the province is still yours, but not other people's fort building.

That is true, size does matter in this game since they added that in.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If your size is bigger than enemy size + weapon length, you can't be hit in the head at all.
Size 4 and size 6 are the most important sizes in that regard. Size 4 can't get hit in the head by a human swordsman, and size 6 can't get hit in the head by a human spearman. Ranged weapons and cavalry lances can headshot anyone, tho.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
She does at least have 22 hp and isn't going to die to one monkey throwing a rock or militiaman with shortbow hit like most human sized things without helmets do

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

She does at least have 22 hp and isn't going to die to one monkey throwing a rock or militiaman with shortbow hit like most human sized things without helmets do

So, funny thing. In a game recently I decide to play as Mekone with an awake Gorgon for a PG. Load her up with tons of Earth magic and a Fortitude bless, she's a real terror against the indies! Runs rampant grabbing territory while the giants lag behind and snag what's out of dom. As I notice Lanka approaching from one side, I fly her in to score an unusually fat(for Early Age) farm province and, of course, there's a bump.

Turn 1: Gorgon flies in and gibs the Lanka prophet commander, everyone on Lanka's side routs.

Turn 2: A fleeing Apsara gets stuck on the gorgon, distracting her

Turn 3: A single brave Markata sees this conflict winds up, pitches a stone and.... instantly bonks her down to single-digit HP(from somewhere in the 40's or 60's, HP-wise) and makes her start bleeding out.

Turn 4: Gorgon dies.

Absolutely loving hilarious.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Perfect I Want To Believe moment, that

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

I have no idea what his crafting options look like, but from what OP's saying even just slapping the weakest leather hat in the game on Perche would go a long way to mitigating that particular weakness.

Plus, from what I can see the Medals go in the torso slot so you can probably wear a helmet in addition to a medal to double up on head protection. If there's a good helmet that also protects the torso I'd probably wear it, in particular, for maximum tanking.

PurpleXVI posted:

So, funny thing. In a game recently I decide to play as Mekone with an awake Gorgon for a PG. Load her up with tons of Earth magic and a Fortitude bless, she's a real terror against the indies! Runs rampant grabbing territory while the giants lag behind and snag what's out of dom. As I notice Lanka approaching from one side, I fly her in to score an unusually fat(for Early Age) farm province and, of course, there's a bump.

Turn 1: Gorgon flies in and gibs the Lanka prophet commander, everyone on Lanka's side routs.

Turn 2: A fleeing Apsara gets stuck on the gorgon, distracting her

Turn 3: A single brave Markata sees this conflict winds up, pitches a stone and.... instantly bonks her down to single-digit HP(from somewhere in the 40's or 60's, HP-wise) and makes her start bleeding out.

Turn 4: Gorgon dies.

Absolutely loving hilarious.

Sounds like that guy got a really big crit to me. As in, big enough that armor wouldn't've really helped much in that situation. (I can't see a rock doing 40-60 damage in one go any other way unless it's a boulder thrown by Hercules or something.)

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

I have no idea what his crafting options look like, but from what OP's saying even just slapping the weakest leather hat in the game on Perche would go a long way to mitigating that particular weakness.

Plus, from what I can see the Medals go in the torso slot so you can probably wear a helmet in addition to a medal to double up on head protection. If there's a good helmet that also protects the torso I'd probably wear it, in particular, for maximum tanking.

Hats cost gems. But more importantly, hats cost mage turns. Earlygame regular army is a really weird balancing act between forging research boosters and actually summoning/forging/doing things to avoid dying horribly in the early game. I could forge Perche a decently strong (24 prot!) metal hat for 5 E gems and a god turn, but that's a turn I'm not making a research booster. Or summoning one of the other metal heroes. Or site searching.

Honestly I also just kind of didn't realise how important helmets were until like.. turn 20 or so. But I've got a few different hat options by then so I'll go over the hows and whys of my choice of hat(s) once we get htere.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Another equipment-related question: Do you have any decent melee units that you could equip Chilli to? Because that seems to be the only thing you'd really want it for, given its pathetic range.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I am sorely disappointed in the lack of actual slugs. :colbert:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Poil posted:

Metal slug type beings are the forte of Agartha

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
RAD GODS -> BAD MODS -> MAD SODS -> DAD BODS

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Araganzar posted:

BAD GODS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg4fV1WMTMo

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Poil posted:

Sorry you want the alien faction for those.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Araganzar posted:

NADPODS

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 12 - Unfriendly Fire
Things are good! And a touch weird. We’ve had our first year, and it’s been an interesting one.

Growl will be discussed later, but it’s the end of the first year - Spring immortality units are returning (read: Bees), and gods will be waking up soon.

[04:19] Ramc: happy spring

And some friendly icicle donated gems to my cause! These’ll come in handy. Now: Battle reports!

Uh
Hm. Well I’m glad to be wrong in terms of reinforcements, but that’s 400 gold down the drain.

But this more than makes up for it. Time to give them both a watch and see what caused these outcomes! I’ll get to that third battle report afterwards. It’s a funny one.
Range of shadow first!

That’s.. Not a lot of PD. And they lack shields.

There’s also this jerk, who opens with an astral shield and otherwise does.. Nothing of note. He’s probably here to build a temple and lab so this can be a real fort - I think he'd have been better suited bringing ten Dwarves down here to help, but I can understand the why.

He’s also standing in with the archers.

This may have been a poor decision.

They missed him, unfortunately. And he just put up Twist Fate (Negates the first successful hit) so the second one likely won’t kill either. Jerk. Their return barrage is… a lot less effective.

This game has given me a new appreciation for metal slug spritework. The second metal slug barrage does hit the sage, but he’s transformed himself into a lens flare and the hit is negated with twist fate.

The other squad of knife-wielding PD is utterly obliterated, which makes the archers rout. Note this third crew through… they’re heading right for my backline. Uh oh…

Nature takes its course.

Goodbye, Watched Too Much Rambo. You will be missed. The knife-wielding goons move up.. I bet that’s going to happen to the other one too.

Nope! Lucky knife hit. Last thing they’ll ever do.

Well. That was embarrassing. John Steele In a Cheap Suit should really have had the extra credit in hindsight. Oh well, I’ll shift it over to Perche or Growl once they regroup. It’s better on units that respawn with real equipment. This is still a profit for me though with that fort cancellation. Onto the better battle!

This line of Dwarves is kind of terrifying. 23 protection, invulnerability if it’s activated (I don’t remember how, but I think it’s a specific spell). Oh, and Darkvision. Everyone has darkvision or spirit sight.

It’s a scary combination that I really wouldn’t want to deal with normally.

But I was confident in my gunline, and that confidence has been rewarded! There’s a few points of PD way over to the right, but they’re irrelevant.

Perche starts the party with her hilariously long range minigun, throwing 20 armour piercing bullets at the dwarves. And doing.. Less than I’d have liked. A quick peek at the unit log shows me that she got a very low damage roll on this one, despite landing seven hits. Oh well.

I'm not quite sure why. Anyone in the thread know?

It’s difficult to really track things, but the main gunline is doing damage. Just.. not much of it.

By the time they’re this close we’ve only killed one, but half are hurt in some way or another. And Marco’s just gotten into laser range. It launches a big spray of white particles that are hard to catch, but the results are far more obvious.

Those are tasty numbers, and now a bunch are.. On fire? Marco’s doing a lot of work, because a protection of 23 is enough to lessen the impact of the normal shots a lot even after being halved. But Marco’s laser is working against an effective protection of 0.

The grenades do basically nothing, but they at least look cool and light a few more on fire. I’m going to skip out on the screenshots for a bit, but this particular laser shot killed four of them on its own. Going to need to make more of those, I think.

On the contrary, the grenades can bugger off. They’re useless. Marco was definitely the MVP here, and Perche and the soldiers weren’t slouching by any means. But I’m going to need a lot more firepower to crack their capital. As you can see they've made it into melee range - if barely.

They turn and run right after from the morale check of losing about half their number, and are slowly but surely cut down under a wave of smites and bullets and laser beams. A success! Except for Eri. She can go back home and put those grenades back in the box.

And now for the third battle! Which isn’t technically my forces, but it’s relevant all the same. Someone let the dogs out, apparently.

Woof.
This all adds up a situation that I, personally, am happy with. Two provinces taken, one denied to the enemy, and a fat stack of sacreds (750 gold worth!) dealt with alongside a destroyed palisade (600 gold).

Forging for this turn is a little non-standard. My weapon luck has been awful and I’m running out of earth gems, so this turn I’m forging a Sceptre of Authority.

That command bonus will let Eri bring some troops to places the FCVs aren’t able to stay, like the enemy citadel.
Oh, and meet growl.

Growl is fun. (+Str from heroic bonus)
He’s not actually that good in this specific case, but I’m going to use him to take a few extra provinces on the side before regrouping for the final push. He’s fast, and all those weapons will rip through unarmoured units.

So he’s going to the Worldsteeth mountains, where his sheer volume of attacks and actual melee ability should let him kill the undead.
Eri is returning to HQ to grab that sceptre, while Marco, Perche and the Prophet-FCV move to take Baypond. After that the FCV will return home to heal, and I’ll have Eri take over troop leadership duties.

Actually pushing into his territory is going to be the hard part, but I can have an FCV assist in taking the wetlands and otherwise use them to push any other attacks out.
Tarma and Fio are also retreating, because they can’t take 30+ Dwarves on their own and I think he’s finally gotten a commander up to star peaks for his expansion army. Maybe I’m being a little too cautious, but slow and steady is the best course of action. I can afford to take losses he can’t, because I’ve almost got a second fort and he’s going to have cats bearing down on him soon.

Oh, and everyone gets a message. Because my god I have four of these things now and they’re useless to me. Maybe someone else will want one.

[23:16] Ramc: once i accrue enough E gems i will buy grenades
[23:16] Ramc: not because they are useful but because it is real funny
[23:17] Lukas: They're useful in a lot of situations
[23:17] Lukas: just not my current one
[23:22] Ramc: dwalvessss
[23:23] Lukas: Dwarves are not allowed to buy grenades because they'll just throw them at me
[23:28] Ramc: tough but fair

Cassia’s been moving near me again. I don’t like it. Not at all. Hopefully the effigy convinces him fighting me is a bad idea, and failing that the 40+ recruits sure as hell should.
Two turns remain on the fort, so I’m recruiting the arms dealer early. A bit too early technically, but.. Eh. Better now than forgetting.

Next time: Counter-Counter-Attacks! One turn remaining on the throne fort after this. Hopefully Ramc!Cassia doesn’t decide he wants a piece of me.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

LukasR23 posted:

Perche starts the party with her hilariously long range minigun, throwing 20 armour piercing bullets at the dwarves. And doing.. Less than I’d have liked. A quick peek at the unit log shows me that she got a very low damage roll on this one, despite landing seven hits. Oh well.

I'm not quite sure why. Anyone in the thread know?

Yep, one of the things that makes single target ranged weapon attacks (i.e. Non-AOE ranged attacks) so...not great overall (and hence why a lot of the guns in the metal slug mod SEEM overpowered) is that when defending against a ranged attack, the damage is reduced by 2X the parry bonus of the shield. So when you consider, say a tower shield, with its parry bonus of +7, any ranged attack against such a target automatically does 14 points less damage. Even the generic "shield" item would reduce it by 8.

LukasR23 posted:

Oh, and meet growl.

Growl is fun. (+Str from heroic bonus)

Growl is a good boy with a good cat.

BaronOhShi fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 17, 2021

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
At the very least, those Commandos didn't die in vain. I mean, they still died, but they died victorious (or something). Not like those misspellings that got mauled by a pack of wolves; they may have been outnumbered like 6 to 1 but only taking one of them down before getting wiped out is still pretty embarrassing for how heavily-armored you say they are (I have very little frame of reference here).

Anyway, from what little I can parse Growl would be a decent candidate for a melee (or might-as-well-be-melee, like the Chilli) weapon, assuming equipping one doesn't overwrite his current loadout.

And that turn was definitely a massive setback for the dwarves; I mean, that 1350 gold in losses you mentioned is over twice your current income! Plus they lost multiple territories along with whatever income they provided, meaning they'll have more issues replacing what they lost.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

LukasR23 posted:

And now for the third battle! Which isn’t technically my forces, but it’s relevant all the same. Someone let the dogs out, apparently.

This looks an awful lot like a 2nd lost fort too. Two lost forts and possibly temples/labs in year one is incredibly brutal, I'd almost be tempted to go AI right now if I were them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And that's why you put more than 1 point of PD in your provinces, especially if you're building a fort there. 6-10 PD won't stop charging knights, but it will save you from this kind of bullshit.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

At the very least, those Commandos didn't die in vain. I mean, they still died, but they died victorious (or something). Not like those misspellings that got mauled by a pack of wolves; they may have been outnumbered like 6 to 1 but only taking one of them down before getting wiped out is still pretty embarrassing for how heavily-armored you say they are (I have very little frame of reference here).

Anyway, from what little I can parse Growl would be a decent candidate for a melee (or might-as-well-be-melee, like the Chilli) weapon, assuming equipping one doesn't overwrite his current loadout.

And that turn was definitely a massive setback for the dwarves; I mean, that 1350 gold in losses you mentioned is over twice your current income! Plus they lost multiple territories along with whatever income they provided, meaning they'll have more issues replacing what they lost.

Chilies definitely have some use, but they're just so much worse than every other option. If I was fighting something weak to fire I might bring them out, but as it is they're just another weird niche equip. Like that battery I was using early on.

As far as Dwarven protection goes...

They're on par with the strongest armoured human units I've ever seen in Vanilla Dominions 5 - Ulm. And unlike Vanilla Ulm they have more magic resistance on top.

(Removed this part because it kind of spoils future events. Sorry.)

gonadic io posted:

This looks an awful lot like a 2nd lost fort too. Two lost forts and possibly temples/labs in year one is incredibly brutal, I'd almost be tempted to go AI right now if I were them.

Jesus. This would definitely explain why. Two forts and his entire pack of capital-only sacreds in one turn.

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 16, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

At this point Vespika is running out of space to expand into without bumping into someone and I'm hungrily eyeing Lemnos who still have an untaken province in their cap circle. A throne, at that, and I start pondering what'll happen if I take it.

Hellwar? Will Lemnos just suck it up and deal with it? Will it be funny? Despite my choice of nation in this game I usually struggle a lot with being decisive and aggressive in Dominions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Right, the same way Kitfox struggles a lot with buying sufficient province defense.