Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Empowering a rando spy in magic just to get graphs when like 60% chance he ends up dying for your trouble + many turns to get them into position is huge waste. The only scout-empower that is maybe worth it is for astral brainreaping purposes which is also kind of a big outlay for a trick that works once (but oh man, that once)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ramc posted:

The only scout-empower that is maybe worth it is for astral brainreaping purposes

That certainly is a sentence.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Night10194 posted:

Its stuff like that that keeps me reading/learning about Dominions.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Night10194 posted:

I wasn't going to talk about Mind Hunt for a while, but... Mind Hunt.

Wiki Link here.

Illwiki posted:

Mind Hunt is a spell which requires Evocation 6 and astral 4 to cast, consuming 2 astral pearls in the process. The spell causes the mage to attempt to pick a random hostile commander in the target province, and then attempt to attack them. This attack comes in the form of a Mind Burn or more potent Soul Slay, depending on Thaumaturgy research progress. If neither spell is available, the mind hunter is unable to carry out any attack. This spell cannot be cast by, nor affect, a commander that is mindless.

Additionally, each hostile astral mage in the targeted province has a 40% chance per astral level to discover a mind hunter, which will prevent the attack and result in the attacker becoming feebleminded. Additionally, the message describing this reveals the mind hunter's name.

Unlike most other rituals that target a random hostile commander, those with stealthy orders can be targets of this spell. Similarly, an astral mage who is stealthy (such as one equipped with a Shademail Haubergeon) may discover hostile mind hunters.

Generally people won't mind hunt a heavily astral nation, or will wait until they engage and see that an army doesn't have any astral mages. If you've got a hidden astral mage... then you get to reap some tasty brains. And permanently gently caress up a couple of mages by feebleminding them, which reduces all their paths to 0 until a healer gets to them - and most non-mod nations lack healers!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tulip posted:

Its stuff like that that keeps me reading/learning about Dominions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post460466608 posted:

Corn Update: Brain Reaped Again

In my continuing side-campaign against R’leyh I executed a new plan. I suited up about 40 White Centaurs to go underwater to raze R’leyh’s temples, take their land and generally mess up the place. “But Ramc.” You are saying in concern. “Corn is on like turn 64, R’leyh is going to be sporting Mindhunting. Didn’t you learn anything from Pelagia sniping your underwater raiders in HappyNewbie?”

Well to answer you, dear reader, I did. Meet Brain Reaper:

Empowered in Astral and toting two boosters Brain Reaper is geared to interdict mind hunts with 100% success. I send the WC in to attack and had her accompany the team under stealth. The Rleyh PD was rolled easily and I waited for the next turn to see if the bait had been taken.

The last one was holding his Stellar Focus global. I am sad to report that this gap in the global spell tab did not go unnoticed and I was unable to sneak in my own Stellar Focus. Nazca put up the Gale Gate but nonetheless I want to report an otherwise complete success.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Naming them Brain Reaper so your enemy could tell what was happening by the first report, when it was too late to do anything but see the tide of now-insane wizards falling like moths that flew too close to the bug zapper, is just :discourse:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

LukasR23 posted:

And there’s a ten gem way to see someone’s graphs in astral. It’s not efficient by any means, but it’s still cheaper than 50 gems wasted on a suicide unit.

Incidentally, this spell is greatly underutilized, and very much worth the price if it helps shape a major decision.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 22 - “So he basically gets one chance to dislodge me and it’s all over”
Quote from Purple.

Well. We lost a province. But not to anything hostile.
This is an interesting events set for once!

I’ve not seen this throne yet. Good for him. Mister Rje is his current prophet, for the record.

This is… free nature gems! For him, not for me. Honestly I don’t really give a poo poo about this global. It’s not one I want, and I can’t really use that many nature gems anyway unless I somehow found a poo poo-ton and empowered. But I think one empowerment is the limit for now.

We saw from the icon that we lost this one, but I’ll still take a look.

I can take em. I might, but not immediately. I don’t really care enough about that one astral pearl. Enjoy the horror marks, assholes!

Was funny to watch though. They ran over the indie PD with no issues, then flailed at an FCV for a while.

Apparently I messed up my orders a bit, and so I’ll be visiting the palace of bees next turn. Bah.
(79 defence force soldiers in my capital.)
Speaking of capitals..

It’s time. :flare:

Everyone is armed to the teeth and scripted.. Properly-ish. I hope.

That front pack are deliberately unscripted in the hope that they’ll rush in while shooting. Everyone else is on varying degrees of “Shoot the poo poo out of them”, and will charge into melee once out of ammo.
The bandar band are staying behind to keep the fort secured, and “Why Can’t I ride an Ostrich?” is moving in with more slugs for if this fails. Even if it does, I’m just going to dump an FCV full of soldiers to finish the job. Nothing here is irreplaceable, unless he starts flinging around soul slays. And that's a little outside of his research unless he's been rushing it as far as I'm aware.

Back at home, now that I’ve got thaumaturgy a bit researched I’m going to start searching. Bradley bunch is casting Augury on my throne province, to see if there’s any fire sites there. I’ll do the same with Air and Earth once they’re researched, as throne provinces tend to have more sites. Help my Water Broke is forging a ring of water breathing, which I can use to scout Oceania and see the other side of the oceans more quickly. Might not be optimal, but frankly I can spare the gems. Recruitment is boring - Isurian’s FCV is finishing, I’m getting a PoW there for the water adventure, and in the capital I’m recruiting three more metal slugs. Normally I wouldn’t, but I have the money to spare. And I may need them.

Oh, and diplomacy wise:
[03:00] Lukas: hah, wow
Did you put that fort there, or did you nick it off J?
[08:54] PurpleXVI: I distracted him by saying I was considering letting him have the throne while building the fort.
[14:18] Lukas: that's disgusting
I love it
[14:26] PurpleXVI: Then I admitted I was building the fort, but said maybe I'd let him have the throne if he paid for my expenses.
[14:27] PurpleXVI: Then when I was one turn from building the fort I said I'd considered it and wasn't going to let him have it. So now I have a fort in his cap circle AND I've cracked his cap fort. So he basically gets one chance to dislodge me and it's all over.

[04:11] Ramc: thats... really loving brutal KDR vs hive butchers
[04:11] Ramc: what are you feeding those cats
[04:12] Ramc: post screenshots
[04:14] j. (villain): wasps, obviously
[04:15] j. (villain): also, astral point buffs
[08:17] nurpleDCLXVI: Their etherealness is the big problem, because unlike most units with Ethereal they ALSO have 17 prot and decent HP, so they don't just get knocked over by one hit that gets through.
[08:17] nurpleDCLXVI: But oh well, always more wasps where they came from.
[08:48] gonadic ganymede: Never don't magic weapons in mods games imo

Looks like Lemnos removed Vespika from his Capital. Good on you, J! He reached out to me shortly after to see if I was going to join in.
(Image taken from discord.)

[12:21] j.: also, huh. the other reason i wanted to reach out was: purple suggested to me that he'd convinced you to invade me and i wanted to check whether that was just bluster
[12:22] j.: (or if it were true, to attempt to outbid whatever purple was paying you)
[12:27] Lukas: I can’t be outbid when my bid is “I’m going to attack whoever is losing once Dedarag finally kicks the bucket”
[12:28] Lukas: Which as of the time we talked was between you and swarmhive
[12:28] Lukas: Because frankly I can’t really handle flyers yet
[12:28] j.: fair enough
[12:29] j.: well, i appear to be winning the war vs. purple, at the very least
[12:29] Lukas: That de-wasping looked brutal

Bonus:

All this boredom drove me to mod. I’ll probably put this in a bonus post, but I’ve started putting together an Advance Wars themed nation after my experiences with a couple of firepower mods.

Next time: Fort storming!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"He has one chance to dislodge me and it's over." -Person Dislodged.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Love it. The national spells should be Super CO Powers or Dual Strikes.

Also can't wait for the Grit-themed pretender that has uber-Far Caster and +300% ritual range.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

TravelLog posted:

Love it. The national spells should be Super CO Powers or Dual Strikes.

Also can't wait for the Grit-themed pretender that has uber-Far Caster and +300% ritual range.

While I'll save the full breakdown for a modding interlude, right now I have CO powers as national spells and the COs themselves as unique summoned commanders. Dual strikes are.. not something i'm sure how to implement and frankly I've never liked them much either.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LukasR23 posted:

While I'll save the full breakdown for a modding interlude, right now I have CO powers as national spells and the COs themselves as unique summoned commanders. Dual strikes are.. not something i'm sure how to implement and frankly I've never liked them much either.

Wouldn't they just be crosspath national spells that you need to build a god/empower to cast

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Essentially, in review, what lost me the battle was that Lemnos summoned a bunch of random animals, then the mages dropped Etherealness on them, and my idiot bugs wasted a ton of time flailing at them and failing to do anything rather than just hacking the mage commanders to shreds.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

my dad posted:

Incidentally, this spell is greatly underutilized, and very much worth the price if it helps shape a major decision.

shhh, you are giving out all the pro strats.

Seriously though, it's absolutely worth it to cast it on your neighbors when considering who to attack if you ever have a lull between responding to things. Just finding out who is running away with research is well worth the gems.

PurpleXVI posted:

Essentially, in review, what lost me the battle was that Lemnos summoned a bunch of random animals, then the mages dropped Etherealness on them, and my idiot bugs wasted a ton of time flailing at them and failing to do anything rather than just hacking the mage commanders to shreds.

More pro strats. A good counter to good units is often not your own good units, but instead bad, very cheap units with enough buffs to make them die slowly, while something else kills the good units without getting hit. Also why markata are actually really good.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Tuna-Fish posted:

More pro strats. A good counter to good units is often not your own good units, but instead bad, very cheap units with enough buffs to make them die slowly, while something else kills the good units without getting hit. Also why markata are actually really good.

what about units that you can spawn endlessly in combat that have slash/pierce resist, cold resist, ignore many battlefield spells, cost 0 gems, and require only sufficient numbers of d2/d3 mages of which there's a common summon for

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

gonadic io posted:

what about units that you can spawn endlessly in combat that have slash/pierce resist, cold resist, ignore many battlefield spells, cost 0 gems, and require only sufficient numbers of d2/d3 mages of which there's a common summon for

necromancy preserves lives, it is truly the most noble school of magic

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Enjoy posted:

necromancy preserves lives, it is truly the most noble school of magic

One person dying and being raised a dozen times in a row is still only one casualty, from a certain point of view.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

scavy131 posted:

One person dying and being raised a dozen times in a row is still only one casualty, from a certain point of view.

Recycle, reuse, reduce

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gonadic io posted:

what about units that you can spawn endlessly in combat that have slash/pierce resist, cold resist, ignore many battlefield spells, cost 0 gems, and require only sufficient numbers of d2/d3 s2/s3 mages of which there's a common summon for

but enough about horde of lightsabers

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Skelespam is eternal

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Skellies should be squishier than they are.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

goatface posted:

Skellies should be squishier than they are.

You're thinking of ghouls.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brittler than they are? I don't think the bones need to snap. Less invisible tendoned than they are?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
they're plenty squishy if you have enough priests

emphasis on enough

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

my dad posted:

emphasis on enough

What if I have enough priests but they are the ones spamming the skeles?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
tactical skeletons or strategic skeletons?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Then you are part of the problem.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

goatface posted:

Then you are part of the problem.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
tfw you lose all your scouts because your opponent was patrolling with their national hero stardust the skellyspamming sperm

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stardust would be kind of like the Metal Slugs, only you could only ever have one unit and he would auto-win every battle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stardust is a PG. The skeletons are freespawn.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What can be a pretender? Titans. Wizards. Monsters.

What is inside all of these?

Skeletons.

Skeletons are the real pretenders. They just wear funny costumes doing it

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

my dad posted:

emphasis on enough

"Enough", you say?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Slaan posted:

What can be a pretender? Titans. Wizards. Monsters.

What is inside all of these?

Skeletons.

Skeletons are the real pretenders. They just wear funny costumes doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBya93-vWc

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LukasR23 posted:

I wasn't going to talk about Mind Hunt for a while, but... Mind Hunt.

Wiki Link here.

Generally people won't mind hunt a heavily astral nation, or will wait until they engage and see that an army doesn't have any astral mages. If you've got a hidden astral mage... then you get to reap some tasty brains. And permanently gently caress up a couple of mages by feebleminding them, which reduces all their paths to 0 until a healer gets to them - and most non-mod nations lack healers!
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get some astral mages and give them items that grant stealth instead?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Why would you ever use a load bearing mage (global) to mind hunt?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AtomikKrab posted:

Why would you ever use a load bearing mage (global) to mind hunt?

I once had an immortal god so as a joke I sent him to the people's arena, intending to just suicide him to get rid of the collar afterwards.

...turns out he was holding gift of health...

(the death was no problem, but getting feebleminded from wearing the collar even for 1 turn dropped the global)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

wiegieman posted:

"Enough", you say?

enough

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Zereth posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get some astral mages and give them items that grant stealth instead?

It would be, circumstances permitting. Ideally you already have a stealthy astral mage natively, in which case people generally will be careful about mind hunting you anyway.

If you have astral mages natively and have them with your stack, that's good too. If you have a death-earth crosspath wizard (not common) you could then make the shademail that grants stealth and have them sneak along.

Pan doesn't have native astral access, though, so had to make do with a stealthy mobile national unit as my base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Its actually better to be a nation NOT known for astral, if you are like ryleh, nobody is even going to try to mindhunt you.