Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

You never want to give UW a foothold on land if you can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also FWIW the whole reason that "cap circle" is a thing, other than just territory/being vulnerable, is because you want max resources in your cap except that DOESN'T cross the water/land boundary so land provinces don't even count as being in a uw's cap circle even if it weren't for all the other reasons.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lmaoooo

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I am also in this game as Swarmhive. Unfortunately there were some issues with this nation, I gave the game creator what I thought was the most up to date modpack of the Swarmhive nations but it turns out it wasn't. That pack was just the ants and hadn't been updated since dom4 while the super big pack with all the alexsa was up to date. By the time I realized, the mods had already been domingled and other bugfixes implemented so I offered to try and fix it myself since beardbeard was already doing a ton of fixes already. I'd never done any dominions modding before so naturally the nation is semi-hosed up but it was certainly a learning experience.

Anyway, the premise is that these are magic being ants with some humans or human forms mixed in. They're good earth, astral and nature with a smattering of air and water while also being able to go underwater with coastal forts. The ants are also all blind so they get very low precision but at least I don't suffer in darkness. Of course there are no death mages so I can't cast darkness anyway but maybe enemies will cast it if they don't bother looking at my nation.

Here are the deets, note the extra nature bless points which come in handy. They also spread sloth so it's a no-brainer to pick up sloth 3 especially when combined with the workhorse mage of the nation.

Swarm wizards are pretty cheap with a gross research score in sloth 3 and magic 3. They do have a decent upkeep but even as combat mages they're useful due to astral.

Homo godborn are the cap sacreds. I guess they're called homos because they have human like hands unlike other ants but I'll not find it amusing that one of the cap sites is called the homo breeding hive. Anyway, these dudes are pretty tough and damaging plus they have mental shock, making them very useful for paralyzing incoming enemies to spread them out. You might be wondering why the sprite has a shield and they don't and that's because I hosed up and didn't notice it was missing. That would've come in super handy against all the crazy modshit ranged units.

Godsworn are the anywhere sacreds. They're humans and not great but at least they have low upkeep. Most of the ant units have a lot of upkeep which makes it hard to sustain an economy when you go for an incarnate bless. As for why you want an awake pretender...

...it's because you want this guy. He's got great paths and you get the +2 nature bless points to boot plus super high protection, a retinue of ants, elemental resists and recuperation. One of the best expanders you could get, for sure.

Anyway, these are the good infantry. No shield but decent damage and protection, low encumbrance and mental shock. There's other units but I'm too lazy to take pictures for those. The lesser ant infantry have no arms so they can just bite and spit instead of mental shock and there's also cheap warworkers that give resources in their province to help you out for taking sloth 3. There's some expensive ant mages but they're all hampered by being low precision, most are just 5 while the average human precision is 10. Still, there's a lot of stuff that doesn't need precision so they do ok.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ants being sloth-aligned seems kinda misguided.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

"lazy as an ant" people are always saying this.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Maybe it's only the humans living in an ant colony that are the lazy ones

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

It does although the ants do get some nice events if you take production at least.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'd note that the description says that they spread Sloth outside their borders, but it says nothing about their Sloth scales going up internally. Unless there's a miswording, Production/Sloth scales within your borders presumably should stay what they're set at. And there's specifically one (human) mage in the nation with Philosopher - everything else researches normally.

gonadic io posted:

Maybe it's only the humans living in an ant colony that are the lazy ones

Yeah, it's exactly this.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Noooo!!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

I'd note that the description says that they spread Sloth outside their borders, but it says nothing about their Sloth scales going up internally. Unless there's a miswording, Production/Sloth scales within your borders presumably should stay what they're set at. And there's specifically one (human) mage in the nation with Philosopher - everything else researches normally.

Nations that spread cold in vanilla don't do it if you take heat scales. Not sure if other scalespreads function similarly though.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

doesn't that make killing all the convoluted magic poo poo with mundane armies cooler

You get it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

doesn't that make killing all the convoluted magic poo poo with mundane armies cooler

I asked MA Ulm. Sadly they didn't answer, because they were too busy loading the shotgun.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 7 - I loving hate skeletons
Not a good one today, folks.

Purple sent me gems to fulfill an earlier bet, so that’s nice of him. I won’t have to retroactively call him an rear end in a top hat or anything.

He’s also spammed everyone in the game!

This message nearly started a war with Lemnos, because an unintentional bump alongside a vaguely taunting message sounded like a declaration of war.

[03:31] j. (villain): @purpleDCLXVI did I just get... intentionally bumped?
[03:32] j. (villain): or was the ingame message an oddly timed coincidence
[03:32] j. (villain): and it just happened to arrive at the same time as your wasp army brutally killing my innocent cats, who had only just finished hunting some lizards for food?
[03:32] correct abt condiments, avocados: i assumed the message was to everyone
[03:32] j. (villain): oh, that makes more sense
[03:33] Lukas: The buzzing message was to me as well
[03:38] JonJoe: yes we all got buzzed
[03:38] JonJoe: also i dont think purple is evil enough to intentionally bump people like I did to him in another game >:)
[03:39] j. (villain): yes it seemed a little out of character and also, it did not seem like a situation where my expansion route was predictable

-
[03:41] Tagichatn: who won the bump
[03:42] j. (villain): not me
[03:43] j. (villain): i hadn't been expecting to fight flying enemies
[03:43] j. (villain): so my commander died turn 1
[03:43] Tagichatn: rip
[03:43] j. (villain): but then: the routing cats still killed like half the wasps
-
[08:45] purpleDCLXVI: Yeah, that was a surprise because I actually expected you to NOT go there. If I wanted to gently caress with you I'd have moved into your cap circle instead, because that's where I expected you to go first.

We’ve hit construction 3, which is once again just a stepping stone. I’m definitely a fan of how hard early research accelerates, because the sooner I hit Con4 the sooner I can summon the first metal heroes.

Today’s present from the arms dealer is a box of grenades, which I’ve.. never really had much luck with. I guess it’s only one handed, so you can carry a shield or something as well?

Eh. I probably won’t use this unless I get a really silly idea, or one of the summons gets really high strength. “Bad rocket launcher” does not make for a good weapon.

I did get another fun present, though.

This is pretty much entirely for meme value. I’m going to put it on my god for now and see what it looks like from other players, because honestly there’s nothing else to do with it except intimidate people. Although if you've got no troops in the province you can get some pretty silly results, like an army with ~50 monoliths.

Good battles first. This is better than I’d expected, although there’s still some light attrition in there. Time to watch and find out who killed what!

Off to a.. Poor start. It turns out the horse tribe have a longer range than my rifles, and all three of those kills were scored from them firing uncontested. Shouldn't have set them to hold and fire.

They quickly break once the return fire hits home, though. There's not much I can say about this one except "We shot them a lot".

And now onto the.. Less good.

God drat it. Not only did they die, but everything else died. Vespika will probably take this province before I can get up there.

Time to see what went wrong, I guess.

Not many units on offer here.

But note the necromancer! He’ll be raising skeletons the entire battle, because he’s a jerk with nothing better to do. That staff he’s carrying interacts with some death rituals, but it’s useless to me.

The first shot of the battle is… Fio missing a banishment. Fantastic.

This proves to be her downfall as all five lances hit home and murder her instantly.

Eri wipes them a few seconds later with the battery, the chaining effect coming in handy. The last one turns and runs towards the middle of the map, where Fio has respawned!

Without any of her equipment. And busy banishing the slow trickle of skeletons while a bunch of light infantry run at her with spears. Reform is nice, but she’d be doing a lot more if she was using that rocket launcher on the infantry. Or shooting the infantry. It doesn’t take long for her to die again at their hands, this time more permanently.

And Eri is busy.. Hurting herself by using the battery on single targets at close range. There’s not much left to cover here, Eri basically tazes herself to death while killing the last few infantry and is overwhelmed by skeletons. I’m going to take a stab at retaking this province, but I somehow doubt I will. Ah well.

Hero unit death count: 3. Fio died twice.
They’ll respawn in three months with no gear, ready to fight and die again. Until then I’ll have to make do.

I think the biggest mistake here was going for this province in the first place. Undead are bad to fight with only two Heroes as they don't really rout like normal units do. If I'd had Fio keyed to spam smite and Eri just out in front it might have gone better? But as the lances killed her right through the medal of service I don't know if that would have changed anything. If anyone has any more input on this feel free to provide it, but I don't think any level of scripting would have won me this battle.

One final battle, and it’s not me this time!

One of my scouts got to watch the dwarves stomp some independents, so we’ll see how that goes. This is probably their starting army, with a few cap only sacreds sprinkled in on top.

And spot their prophet! He looks nice even if the description is a bit dumb. Ungeared he’s straight-up a match for Fio or Eri, but they had the advantage of guns. And armor piercing.

Looks like most of that comes from the bless. 15 poison resistance? I’m no god expert, but that looks like a whole lot of nature and astral. Plus.. blood and earth? We’ll see how it works out. Most of his actual force is just dwarves, with a few blessed units mixed in. This seems like it’s mostly built towards making spellcasters better between the penetration and the HP. Good penetration bonuses are hard to find.

Some of the militia get broken by a smite, but the rest are piling in on the front line. Right in smite range, and with how defensive the Dwarves are there’s no danger of them losing anyone before the Independents break and rout.

Speaking of Smites, note the little entangling there. The prophet is casting a unique smite variant - Word of Thorns. If your god has a path above.. I believe 5 or so they get a unique version of smite and banish, and this guy clearly has a high-nature god kicking around at home or napping.

They’re slaughtered to pratically the last man due to some good morale rolls. Which isn’t that great for me, because all of these dwarves have an ability that lets them become a better troop after getting enough combat experience. Might be where those red shielded guys came from.

But we’ll see how much that actually ends up become a threat. This has basically certified the Dwalves as my first target, so I’ll be attacking them once Eri and Fio respawn at my capital. While I can’t siege down their cap with the command vehicles, they’re close enough that I can definitely take territory with my standing forces. I'm going for Dedarag specifically for a couple of reasons.

1 - They're not really using any ranged units, and that bless is built for melee sacreds.
2 - There's no air shield in their bless or anything that would let them get to me quickly.
3 - Better to kill them now than fight all those astral mages once they've researched.

But for now I’m pulling back. I want to at least take a stab at that throne, and while I’m reasonably confident my current forces can take it but I want to take a month to grab those slugs all the same.

Recruitment this turn is simple - an extra FCV to boost my unit generation, and another swarm of recruits. I’ll probably end up building some PoWs next turn so I have more scouting, and I don’t feel that building more commandos right now is worth the huge cost.

Rumi is being sent to the blightlands in case purple takes it so I can get some information on his bless and setup, while the HQ forges the first of many shotguns for use in my armies.

Powerful, has a close cone, and unlike the battery it won’t turn around and shock my own units to death.

Oh, and I've spotted Lemnos just north of the Dwarves. Whether that’ll lead to a war is yet to be seen, but I can maybe get them involved.

Next turn: Construction 4! The real fun is about to begin.

Turns might be a bit slower from here on out. Going through some personal stuff. Like 95% of this is pre-written though, so I'll do my best to keep to the schedule!

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 5, 2021

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What kind of bastard with a massive bless and hell sacreds would intentionally try to throw their weight around by trying for plausibly deniable bumps??!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

dwalves

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Eldves

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
I hate everything about the names the Alexs nations pack has for its races. It feels like the Games workshop approach of "Fantasy race with the serial numbers filed off for copyright reasons" except with slightly less of the blatant greed.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

LukasR23 posted:

I hate everything about the names the Alexs nations pack has for its races. It feels like the Games workshop approach of "Fantasy race with the serial numbers filed off for copyright reasons" except with slightly less of the blatant greed.

Copyright reasons AND Search Engine Optimisation! :pseudo:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

Chillithids

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I just want to, like, eat your brains man. Like chill, bro. We can hang until then

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Slaan posted:

I just want to, like, eat your brains man. Like chill, bro. We can hang until then

kicking back, sunglasses on, drinking brains out of a skull with a straw and a tiny umbrella. a nation i can get behind

Mathwyn posted:

AND Search Engine Optimisation! :pseudo:

cursed

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
They are dwarves. DWARVES. D. W. A. R. V. E. S. All spellings involving an l shall be met with military might.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

gonadic io posted:

What kind of bastard with a massive bless and hell sacreds would intentionally try to throw their weight around by trying for plausibly deniable bumps??!

I take offense at the idea that anything I do is premeditated, I assure you that everything I do is a dumb idea I had on the turn I did it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

LukasR23 posted:

Looks like most of that comes from the bless. 15 poison resistance? I’m no god expert, but that looks like a whole lot of nature and astral. Plus.. blood and earth? We’ll see how it works out. Most of his actual force is just dwarves, with a few blessed units mixed in. This seems like it’s mostly built towards making spellcasters better between the penetration and the HP. Good penetration bonuses are hard to find.

I'm assuming it's a Monolith - E/S/N starting paths, and that covers everything in the bless, no blood needed (strength's available in earth and blood). Not too expensive either in build points - it's not cheap, but certainly reasonable if you potentially want access to certain rituals. Poison Resist 15 isn't terribly uncommon, as it's the only reliable way to resist Foul Vapors for human-sized troops (10 doesn't cut it for extended battles). I'm not sure which mod nations here actually have innate access to that, but it's an incredibly oppressive spell that's never bad to have protection from.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

it's the only reliable way to resist Foul Vapors for human-sized troops (10 doesn't cut it for extended battles). I'm not sure which mod nations here actually have innate access to that, but it's an incredibly oppressive spell that's never bad to have protection from.

bees and ants at least, I think

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

I'm assuming it's a Monolith - E/S/N starting paths, and that covers everything in the bless, no blood needed (strength's available in earth and blood). Not too expensive either in build points - it's not cheap, but certainly reasonable if you potentially want access to certain rituals. Poison Resist 15 isn't terribly uncommon, as it's the only reliable way to resist Foul Vapors for human-sized troops (10 doesn't cut it for extended battles). I'm not sure which mod nations here actually have innate access to that, but it's an incredibly oppressive spell that's never bad to have protection from.

Yup, it's a monolith! E5S5N6, to be exact :science:. Did some testing to get the exact setup and the points mathed out correctly, and Cobald confirmed it for me as well later on. As paths go I really like this, it's got enough astral to make rings (with a coin) and enough earth and nature with rings to cast some of the really tasty globals. And rings are pretty important for some of Dedarag's national spells - which can only be cast by their cap-only mages who would otherwise be a few boosters short.

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 7, 2021

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 8 - Lots of fighting, none of it me

I may not kill anything, but we've got a lot of violence to unpack!

Starting off with more smug wasps. This is going to start a war, I can just tell.

Yup! Saw this coming. Even if the fight is probably just a stomp, we'll still take a look. It has important information!

Like how pathetic the undead forces are now.

Without his gems, this guy is already unconscious. He'll wake up occasionally, cast a spell, then immediately pass out again. That Lightning rod is at least going to a home that can't use it - if JonJoe even gets it.

Future Lukas Note: just asked. He didn't even notice.

This might just be a bunch of really messed up units stomping everything, but it's still useful information.

This is Oceania's weapon of choice. Their Cap-only sacred. Kinda slow, low precision and average attack skill, but that's some nasty strength - before we even get into the coral spikes. Right now he kind of seems like a giant tank? Size 4 means only one per square, too.

Buuut... remember that one in the previous image is flashing red. And that fourth icon.

When he gets mad, hit attack skill and strength skyrocket. And frankly.. anything hitting up close will get poisoned so that defence malus isn't as bad. This is a nasty unit, and it's absolutely going to rip and tear through most things.

I also caught his bless!

This makes sense, considering Oceania is 100% berserkers and has a lot of defensive poison tools as it is. Make them last longer, hit harder, and ignore a lot of magic. Shock Resistance+Fire resistance implies FSR, which means at least some of that is earth. Cold resistance is only water, HP is nature (or blood), and strength is.. earth or blood? I'm not 100%, but I know there's no incarnates here at the very least.

More dwarves stomping things. Looks like the archers got a single kill, good for them! The fight isn't that interesting, it's just a bunch of dwalves dwarves stomping their way through four times their number in chaff. Which is pretty brutal, but not interesting to watch.

The one that did die took a very impressive amount of killing. As a reminder, the standard Dominions Random Number is an exploding 2d6 - to get more than 12 requires at least one six, possibly two.

This is disappointing, but not surprising. Afflictions just.. Happen a lot of the time, and there’s no real way to guarantee you’re protected against them. Affliction healers can do it, but I don't really care much if a recruit gets limp or crippled or whatever and dies from it.

The arms dealer only supplied an extra credit, but this other event is a pretty solid one.

We’ve got the full crew!
Kinda. Fio and Eri are dead for another two months.
Marco and Tarma are identical to Fio and Eri, except for their bonuses. Tarma has magic resistance, and Marco has...

Oookay then. Marco brought a shotgun and Tarma brought a “Chilli”, which is an interesting one.

I’ll probably not be using it right away though. For now he gets the second shotgun.

I’ve unlocked the second level of forges, but right now my plans have been thrown a bit out of whack. I need these guys geared up and ready to win a war in the next few turns, so I’m forging another medal of protection because Mr. Arms Dealer isn’t giving me any. Recruitment is a single Spec Ops Commando, no troops - I want to get a fort up soon as well, and money is getting tight.

Everything that can fight is going to visit the throne, and it seems like the dwarves lost a province?
Sending Rumi up there to check that one out, because I’m curious and I’ll be able to catch their second army if they retake it this turn.

Future note: I’m an idiot. I just couldn’t see who owned this province because I wasn’t bordering it.

My new FCV, Jacuzzi in the Back, is staying behind to generate more troops. This large swarm of infantry plus shotgun support should be able to force a rout by virtue of sheer volume of fire, but we’ll have to see how it goes next turn.

The Metal slugs have a long enough range that they’re set to fire archers, and should mulch any supporting fire and maybe a mage on top of that.
Next time: Summons! Shotguns! War preperation!

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 7, 2021

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

LukasR23 posted:

Marco and Tarma are identical to Fio and Eri, except for their bonuses. Tarma has magic resistance, and Marco has...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NtCESDAw2k

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

They are dwarves. DWARVES. D. W. A. R. V. E. S. All spellings involving an l shall be met with military might.

LukasR23 posted:

More dwarves stomping things. Looks like the archers got a single kill, good for them! The fight isn't that interesting, it's just a bunch of dwalves stomping their way through four times their number in chaff. Which is pretty brutal, but not interesting to watch.

staggering diplomatic ramifications here

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

so this is how the LP ends, not with a whimper, but with an l

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dominions players posting their ls online.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Ramc posted:

LukasR23 posted:

More dwarves stomping things. Looks like the archers got a single kill, good for them! The fight isn't that interesting, it's just a bunch of dwalves stomping their way through four times their number in chaff. Which is pretty brutal, but not interesting to watch.

This huge error has been fixed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Very well. You may live. For now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huge spoilers itt on how the underwater murder engine is going.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

I heard that before I even opened the link.

On an unrelated note, are there any Metal Slug units you haven't implemented yet that you might consider adding? Kinda curious about future updates, even if I'll never see the results.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

On an unrelated note, are there any Metal Slug units you haven't implemented yet that you might consider adding? Kinda curious about future updates, even if I'll never see the results.

I actually stopped working on the mod proper about a year ago when my enthusiasm fell off. I've been doing some bugfixing and balancing lately in response to this LP and another game, but am still not really up to doing any real additions.

Things were always pretty under-polished on this mod because around the time I made it, I wasn't really seeing anyone play it, so I kind of just went "Well I personally get to see funny cartoon men do a fight, so I'm satisfied". I'm a terrible dev.

That said, there are three other nations in the mod pack, all far less gimmicky than the one lukas is playing:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

BaronOhShi posted:

I actually stopped working on the mod proper about a year ago when my enthusiasm fell off. I've been doing some bugfixing and balancing lately in response to this LP and another game, but am still not really up to doing any real additions.

Things were always pretty under-polished on this mod because around the time I made it, I wasn't really seeing anyone play it, so I kind of just went "Well I personally get to see funny cartoon men do a fight, so I'm satisfied". I'm a terrible dev.

That said, there are three other nations in the mod pack, all far less gimmicky than the one lukas is playing:

Well, if you don't feel up to any major work on it, then I guess you can't really do anything big. Fair enough.

Also, while that tank has lots of guns, I'd say it needs EVEN MORE. Because dakka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Is that a Troop?

Would 100% GoR it