Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

Can any Harsh Language users cuss enemies out hard enough to kill them? (Would not put it past a mod to do this...)

Of course. It does -10 damage, and is usually on units with poor strength to begin with, but if it can overcome that penalty and pierce armour, it can do damage. In theory.

That said there is an exclusive item for the Regular Army that makes a certain subset of harsh language users do a Lot more damage, maybe we'll see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

BaronOhShi posted:

Of course. It does -10 damage, and is usually on units with poor strength to begin with, but if it can overcome that penalty and pierce armour, it can do damage. In theory.

That said there is an exclusive item for the Regular Army that makes a certain subset of harsh language users do a Lot more damage, maybe we'll see it.

So... basically, yes, but only if you stack a lot of Strength bonuses? Enough so that you'd usually be better off just giving the units that have it a different weapon (preferably armor-ignoring) to attack with instead if they're forced to fight?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

CptWedgie posted:

So... basically, yes, but only if you stack a lot of Strength bonuses? Enough so that you'd usually be better off just giving the units that have it a different weapon (preferably armor-ignoring) to attack with instead if they're forced to fight?

Open ended rolls that can theoretically stack forever means technically you could one shot a doom horror with harsh language.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AtomikKrab posted:

Open ended rolls that can theoretically stack forever means technically you could one shot a doom horror with harsh language.

obligatory

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

From context, I'm guessing this translates to "you can one-shot Cthulhu by insulting him in just the right way." I mean, I obviously don't know what a "doom horror" is, but it sounds like Cthulhu would fit right in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CptWedgie posted:

From context, I'm guessing this translates to "you can one-shot Cthulhu by insulting him in just the right way." I mean, I obviously don't know what a "doom horror" is, but it sounds like Cthulhu would fit right in.
No, there's a faction where you can play cthulhus and related. Doom Horrors are things that eat gods.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Zereth posted:

No, there's a faction where you can play cthulhus and related. Doom Horrors are things that eat gods.

I meant the standard "his mere presence destroys and/or irrevocably corrupts the world" depiction of Cthulhu (which wouldn't really make a good faction for a strategy game, because they'd just show up, say "you saw me so you are now irrevocably insane, which I will use to turn you into my mindless puppet" and insta-win every game ever). So... basically, cosmic horrors rather than gods. (And no, I didn't realize that there was a faction where you play as Cthulhu cultists; you should realize this sort of thing by now.)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

CptWedgie posted:

I meant the standard "his mere presence destroys and/or irrevocably corrupts the world" depiction of Cthulhu (which wouldn't really make a good faction for a strategy game, because they'd just show up, say "you saw me so you are now irrevocably insane, which I will use to turn you into my mindless puppet" and insta-win every game ever). So... basically, cosmic horrors rather than gods. (And no, I didn't realize that there was a faction where you play as Cthulhu cultists; you should realize this sort of thing by now.)

That’s all exactly what the Rl’yeh faction does. Their dominion causes units to go insane and/or die at a rapid clip. They also have the ability to summon extra dimensional void beings and other hijinx. They’re usually banned from multiplayer because of how toxic and game ruining their dominion is to everyone else, along with the undead empire that just kills everything in its dominion.

That said, there are different beings that still eat them from beyond, like the aforementioned horrors.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

CptWedgie posted:

(which wouldn't really make a good faction for a strategy game, because they'd just show up, say "you saw me so you are now irrevocably insane, which I will use to turn you into my mindless puppet" and insta-win every game ever).

this is literally LA R'leyh, yeah

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Except for the winning the game part.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Making everyone else quit because of your DOM is a kind of winning

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Slaan posted:

Making everyone else quit because of your DOM is a kind of winning

Is it really?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
True. The only way to win dominions is not to play. Winners get out after early game and the true losers play until the end with hour long turns :downs:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
being banned from most games is the winningest thing a faction can be

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The thing about LA R'lyeh is that it isn't even a particularly strong nation - it's just a miserable experience for most people around it as well as the person playing it... unless their neighbor is LA Atlantis, in which case Atlantis will cheerfully murder them and take all their territory. The problems are that: they've got a popkill domain, but most of their good stuff still costs gold to purchase and upkeep; the madness domain makes it hard to reliably get into off-nation paths, since those mages go insane fast; and their freespawn chaff is complete trash even compared to the freespawn the other popkill nations get (undead are of course far superior, and even manikins are better), a fair chunk of it is aquatic - and thus completely worthless if you finish conquering the water... oh, and all your garbage freespawn COST UPKEEP. In a nation where you desperately need every gold piece you can get to bring out your powerful mages, you're getting a constant hit to your income by a double drain of popkill and the massive amounts of freespawn appearing and adding their upkeep.

Compare and contrast with the other major LA popkill nation, Lemuria. Who are incredibly strong (probably top 3) and have none of those problems - other than a slight weakness to Atlantis as well. R'lyeh basically just gets banned for being both a popkill and underwater nation, both of which tend to be popular ban targets, rather than its personal strength. Generally MA R'lyeh, which has many of the same strengths but basically none of the significant weaknesses, is the most well-regarded of that nation line.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

my dad posted:

Except for the winning the game part.

I won a Pankor System game as LA R'lyeh the other week. :)

Also yeah LA R'lyeh kind of sucks rear end. I think I would absolutely, if i had to rework them, scrap their insanity/popkill dom, remove the void gate, and instead give them a number of summons spells for reliably bringing their weird horrors to the world, since that's where a LOT of their actual military power is, so they're very RNG-dependent.

Perhaps keep them getting freespawn cultists and stuff still, though, and perhaps having their dom cause +Magic,+Turmoil,+Sloth sites to spawn or something to represent the mad cultists taking over provinces and making them useless for anything but staring at the stars and drooling.

Lemuria also sucks rear end, though. Anything with magic weapons or astral magic can kill them pretty easily, unless people are dumb enough to let them survive to get the Rigor Mortis + Darkness + Quagmire trifecta researched, and even then they kind of suck because... they're in the Late Era with tons of heavy armor but their units still have attack damage values that would be shameful in the Early Age. They have an INCREDIBLY hard time actually killing something. I would say that LA R'lyeh, LA Lemuria and LA Mictlan are probably the three weakest Late Age nations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CptWedgie posted:

No, I didn't say "cthulhu cultists". You can literally play Cthulhu And Friends as a faction, as has been mentioned.

Doom Horrors don't actually do much sticking around and ruining things, they show up, turbomurder something, and leave for the most part. And even if the target survives, they'll get a permanent status effect which makes doom horrors more likely to randomly turn up.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Zereth posted:

No, I didn't say "cthulhu cultists". You can literally play Cthulhu And Friends as a faction, as has been mentioned.

you can legit play the king in yellow, mother hydra or yog sothoth as a pretender chassis. sick as hell

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Lemuria also sucks rear end, though. Anything with magic weapons or astral magic can kill them pretty easily, unless people are dumb enough to let them survive to get the Rigor Mortis + Darkness + Quagmire trifecta researched, and even then they kind of suck because... they're in the Late Era with tons of heavy armor but their units still have attack damage values that would be shameful in the Early Age. They have an INCREDIBLY hard time actually killing something. I would say that LA R'lyeh, LA Lemuria and LA Mictlan are probably the three weakest Late Age nations.

They... don't need that combo whatsoever though? Sure magic weapons chew through ghosts, but how many nations in LA innately get large numbers of them? Aside from Atlantis, it generally comes down to taking a Magic Weapon bless, except not all nations have decent sacreds for that in the first place, and even with decent, massable ones it's still a build point tax that you're basically forced to take - meaning you're already being forced to react to them. And even with that, they come in huge numbers which is perfectly fine against non-magical weapon stuff - like during expansion. And unlike R'lyeh, which you can generally just lock in their fishbowl to starve, you generally have to eventually engage with Lemuria and their hellish terrain since it's a land nation.

But going back to the "how effective they are" point, even ignoring that hordes of Ethereal chaff is still perfectly usable against many nations and indies, what makes Lemuria so dangerous are the thugs and mages - the cheap, easily accessible Immortal ones. What easy answers do most nations have early on to a couple Consuls with a proper thug bless, wielding Enchanted Pikes or the like? Hell, you're a nation that doesn't give a poo poo about scales - take that Awe/Fear bless you always wanted! Sure, they alone won't take forts, but they're incredibly hard to stop raiders, and even if you do stop them, they're back in 3 months - added on to this, they've got one of the most dangerous base game heroes in the game who's also immortal... and getting him is likely since Luck 3 is pretty common for them. Mid/late game, teleporting Grand Lemurs can easily dump Winds of Death or any number of other miserable spells on large armies and not give a poo poo about whether they die or not unless you actually manage to land a Soul Slay effect (not an easy task). So yes, the ghostly chaff itself isn't super strong - though it's still perfectly usable in any number of situations - but even when it's not great their point is to cover the battlefield tying things up while your thugs and mages do the actual killing.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
In JBBM lemur consuls and grand lemurs are dominion-immortal rather than just immortal which makes them much less useful as offensive weapons. they're still effective in the appropriate circumstances but the ability to use them as consequence-free raiders / army-killers is gone; you need to either actually support them on the attack and also accept that their deaths are meaningful, use them purely on the defence, or have extremely strong dompush.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Mid/late game, teleporting Grand Lemurs can easily dump Winds of Death or any number of other miserable spells on large armies and not give a poo poo about whether they die or not unless you actually manage to land a Soul Slay effect (not an easy task).

??

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nods sombrely

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Same root word, amusingly. From 'Lemures'; the ghosts/spirits of the dead in Latin.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

a computing pun posted:

In JBBM lemur consuls and grand lemurs are dominion-immortal rather than just immortal which makes them much less useful as offensive weapons. they're still effective in the appropriate circumstances but the ability to use them as consequence-free raiders / army-killers is gone; you need to either actually support them on the attack and also accept that their deaths are meaningful, use them purely on the defence, or have extremely strong dompush.

Yeah, restricting them to dominion-immortal would definitely make the the nation weaker - and I was judging the nation at base rather than JBBM - though I'd still argue against them being one of the weakest nations.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

gonadic io posted:

Not to steal Lukas' thunder, but if you're interested in another modded dominions sslp between updates of this one, consider checking out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902681

E: that unit, who wields Cruel Jokes in battle, is from the nation in that lp.

thank god i have to wait between updates for this LP or else something like this would happen where the entirety of yesterday disappears as i read the entire thing in one sitting

dominions 5 is one of those games i enjoy reading about more than playing. some of the funniest poo poo i've ever seen comes outta this game

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Wait, how the hell is LA Mictlan bottom three when recruit anywhere Jaguar Warriors exist? I can understand them not being *good*, but so many problems can be solved with hellblesses

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

the Orb of Zot posted:

Wait, how the hell is LA Mictlan bottom three when recruit anywhere Jaguar Warriors exist? I can understand them not being *good*, but so many problems can be solved with hellblesses

You can't maximum hellbless from the start anymore, your god has to be on the map for the really good ones to work. The sacred rush is nowhere near as good now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

wiegieman posted:

You can't maximum hellbless from the start anymore, your god has to be on the map for the really good ones to work. The sacred rush is nowhere near as good now.

This, restricting the blesses really puts a hurt on mictlan.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Lord Koth posted:

They... don't need that combo whatsoever though?

Vaetti, Caelum, Gath, Atlantis and Ulm annihilate LA Lemuria by the dozen with their magic weapons options. Additionally, Marignon, R'lyeh and Mictlan have shitloads of priests for banishing away, and then there's anyone with easy Astral access who can spam away with Solar Rays and the like. And you can count on LA Ulm, Vaetti and Atlantis being present in almost every LA game, by my experience.

Lemuria also has very little benefit from a bless except for their expander PG, because their access to sacreds is pretty unreliable and their sacreds frankly aren't very good even if they do get a decent amount.

Thugs have the issue that if you have a huge chaff swarm either: you put them at the front, the chaff does nothing OR you put them at the back, the chaff gets in the way of their actually getting to engage any enemies because the chaff gets in the way. And the big spells that make their mages matter are around research 5 and 6, so they have a long period where they are supremely easily rolled.

Take it from someone who's actually won a multiplayer game as LA Lemuria: they suck rear end. The only reason I won at all was that Vaettiheim was good enough to accept peace rather than eternal war, and everyone else was foolish enough to leave me alone.

the Orb of Zot posted:

LA Mictlan has a lot of issues, as mentioned mostly the fact that their troop selection in EA, MA and LA are the same, with only their anywhere sacreds changing(Jaguar to Eagle to Jaguar, and I'd argue the Eagle Warriors are the best to have as anywhere sacreds).

The Jaguar Warriors have a decent-ish attack, but they still haven't learned to wear armor by LA, which means that by their raw values they easily get used for target practice by just about anything, so rather than EA, where they're strong, and the bless further builds on that, in LA their bless is about patching up weaknesses. The second issue is that, in having bad troops, initial expansion is suddenly a lot more hungry for an expander PG... but LA is also a bad era for expander PG's since every second indie province has heavy cavalry, AP-damage crossbows, or both.

If they're allowed to get going, they can be strong, since they have great blood magic access and LA has a lot of high-pop provinces compared to EA, but they are, again, very easily murdered to start out, and people have to pretty much leave you alone on purpose to let you get anywhere.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Could someone actually show off the popkill nations? I don't mean running a game with them, but a brief review of their various units and spells, maybe pretender build strategies? We are very unlikely to ever see them again in an LP, considering all that has been said, and I would really like to have a closer look.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

Could someone actually show off the popkill nations? I don't mean running a game with them, but a brief review of their various units and spells, maybe pretender build strategies? We are very unlikely to ever see them again in an LP, considering all that has been said, and I would really like to have a closer look.

If you don't mind (1) a VLP and (2) that it is mod popkill nation Mu (author of clowns.dm) has an LP of him playing a popkill mod nation of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPPZqwpR9Q

tankfish
May 31, 2013
All of Mu's nations are really solid. Has anyone tried his newest one yet? I haven't had time to really sink my teeth into it yet.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Raine posted:

thank god i have to wait between updates for this LP or else something like this would happen where the entirety of yesterday disappears as i read the entire thing in one sitting

dominions 5 is one of those games i enjoy reading about more than playing. some of the funniest poo poo i've ever seen comes outta this game

I once lost a week after buying SA's archives update and just going back through old LPs. I did try to bully Baudin into getting one of his older LPs archived in the course of this game, but so far he hasn't gone through with it. Sadly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

I consider myself pretty cool with Lemuria(I got a win!) and Asphodel(I almost got a win!) so say the word if you want a detailed rundown of one of those two.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

I consider myself pretty cool with Lemuria(I got a win!) and Asphodel(I almost got a win!) so say the word if you want a detailed rundown of one of those two.

I'm going to charitably assume you're not talking about the time you subbed in for some poor bastard who had Turmoil 3/Misfortune 3 Asphodel and are actually talking about a Normal game.

JonJoeGods Is/Was a treasure, I'm not sure if it's still running but I do know I got knocked out early with a distressingly normal C'Tis build.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

LukasR23 posted:

I'm going to charitably assume you're not talking about the time you subbed in for some poor bastard who had Turmoil 3/Misfortune 3 Asphodel and are actually talking about a Normal game.

JonJoeGods Is/Was a treasure, I'm not sure if it's still running but I do know I got knocked out early with a distressingly normal C'Tis build.

Naw, this one time I got a random Stalker for an event just as the monkeys attacked me, and I used him to stab some vital mages in the brain, even win the tournament, and I was a real terror until I went up against someone, in the end game, who could Mind Hunt all my dudes.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

LukasR23 posted:

It is! On turn 59 currently.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I will do this thread the favor of posting that game's gods after the game is over.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

PurpleXVI posted:

You also won one as LA Ry'leh so I think the appropriate punishment would be to do rundowns of the popkill nations.

Generally though yeah they're all pretty bad against a normal nation who knows what they're doing and aren't even very fun to play, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

tankfish posted:

All of Mu's nations are really solid. Has anyone tried his newest one yet? I haven't had time to really sink my teeth into it yet.

You mean Ocaf? I'm playing it in a game currently. I may do a writeup once the game advances a little further.