Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

*inserts coin*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Good thing there are absolutely not other insect nations in this game.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd disagree a bit about characterizing them as "simply better than vanilla." They lack a couple of important paths, Fire and Astral, and due to their foreignrec limits they have no way to break into them outside of expensive empowers or a PG that can summon more casters of the same time. Their huge supply requirements per-unit also start hurting them a lot as things move towards the midgame and armies start getting larger.

And while not as fragile as Caelians, they don't exactly have Ulmish armor, meaning that large numbers of low-damage enemies are actually reasonably scary for them.

There is one other noteworthy weakness that wasps have that can be summed up in a screenshot that Real Dominions Heads will instantly understand:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

SIGSEGV posted:

drat. And the Queens?

The big cap only queens have a pretty respectable 300~ year lifespan, and I think there is one other wizard that lives around 100 years, but if a Burden of Time is up 95% of your troops and mages will turn into aging, dying geriatrics within like 2 to 3 months.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

I don’t know what the dragon form looks like, but if it works well then this guy could be powerful. He’s definitely got a lot of morale and MR, and that spear looks tasty. But he’s also aquatic-only. So he’s never leaving that lake. Hopefully beardbeard can pop up with an image or something.

That's all for now. Tune in tomorrow, when we'll actually be shooting things!

That's the amphibious symbol, not the water-only one. He can go on land.

And as for Cassia, in 99% of the cases where someone's true form is revealed when they are struck down, that true form? A mere 1hp tiny bee.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Arcvasti posted:

The ant prophet is actually a lot more badass then you think, because the starting commander prophetshapes into a Myrmec Prince.

You can, with a decent bless, solo expand with your ant prophet. And with your awake pretender. And have your 40 leadership scout lead your starting army. Swarmhive's expansion game is insane.

From another game (where i was MA Cassia and there were a lot of alexa mods), these things are absolutely beastly and very difficult to deal with.

...but there are ways

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

And don't diss those 1HP bees, I'm sure they'll achieve something at some point against all odds or reason.

i would never diss a bee

Ramc
May 4, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm not, with all of those abilities, attacks and the invuln to normal weapons they are not even going to care about anything less than a heavy cav unit coming down on them with a lance.

Or a critical mass of normal troops, though that reform chance... keep asking your folks for quarters...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

You should be able to forge a Quarter out of earth gems and expend it to immediately respawn a hero.

I feel like this is 100% the case already in Metal Slug mod

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

It's single use and is immediately consumed upon death to guarantee a respawn at a random place on the battlefield. Really useful, except on the main four because of their lack of good default gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs53c0q6kHg

wrong game, but same spirit

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Donkringel posted:

See my one big problem with mod nations is that the author usually has preconceived way that the nation should be played, whether it's a mixture of random events, shuffling units to specific sites, casting spells, or using the god in a specific way. A lot of times there is some spell you are supposed to cast right away that I completely miss.

This is how I feel about Hellenika nations like feet or rocks sometimes. Ideally to me a mod nation should make it so you have plenty of options/paths to take but dont really sideline yourself out of playing it just because you picked the wrong god paths. But yes. Appreciate the honesty of Metal Slug here.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

this is violence

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gonadic io posted:

e: oh also Ramc is a very experienced Pan player who has used Dryads to great effect many times, so him seeing this image of such an expensive and useless, well, use of them is me causing violence to him.

its this 100%. swarm dryads kill a lot of things with minimal investment while been way less likely to die than the tricked out thug posted before.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

And off to the right is EA Cassia, played by Ramc.

they sound cool

Ramc
May 4, 2008

You can usually be pretty pushy with an underwater neighbor who is sharing a body of water with another UW. They are going to be locked into their thunderdome for awhile. Once the ownership of the lake is sorted out (or extremely unlikely they come to a peaceful accord) all bets are off.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc
May 4, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Ants being sloth-aligned seems kinda misguided.

"lazy as an ant" people are always saying this.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

I'd note that the description says that they spread Sloth outside their borders, but it says nothing about their Sloth scales going up internally. Unless there's a miswording, Production/Sloth scales within your borders presumably should stay what they're set at. And there's specifically one (human) mage in the nation with Philosopher - everything else researches normally.

Nations that spread cold in vanilla don't do it if you take heat scales. Not sure if other scalespreads function similarly though.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

dwalves

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

I hate everything about the names the Alexs nations pack has for its races. It feels like the Games workshop approach of "Fantasy race with the serial numbers filed off for copyright reasons" except with slightly less of the blatant greed.

Chillithids

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Slaan posted:

I just want to, like, eat your brains man. Like chill, bro. We can hang until then

kicking back, sunglasses on, drinking brains out of a skull with a straw and a tiny umbrella. a nation i can get behind

Mathwyn posted:

AND Search Engine Optimisation! :pseudo:

cursed

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

it's the only reliable way to resist Foul Vapors for human-sized troops (10 doesn't cut it for extended battles). I'm not sure which mod nations here actually have innate access to that, but it's an incredibly oppressive spell that's never bad to have protection from.

bees and ants at least, I think

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

They are dwarves. DWARVES. D. W. A. R. V. E. S. All spellings involving an l shall be met with military might.

LukasR23 posted:

More dwarves stomping things. Looks like the archers got a single kill, good for them! The fight isn't that interesting, it's just a bunch of dwalves stomping their way through four times their number in chaff. Which is pretty brutal, but not interesting to watch.

staggering diplomatic ramifications here

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

That's... kind of atrocious. Would you have to implement it as as a secondary weapon to have a dual-type weapon work properly? (I.E fire damage on top as a secondary affect instead of a fire/blunt weapon)

More or less, though that might invite its own weirdness by being two separate damage instances.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

Oh, that makes sense.

I am now imagining how strong MA Ermor would be against something like clowns, feet, rocks, or glitches

with the exception of rocks i feel 'still pretty strong'

Ramc
May 4, 2008

JonJoe is pretty good. We had a pretty memorable long running dustup where his LA Pan fought my jojo bizzare adventure themed LA Ulm (vampire queen specced to cast time stop eventually) and it was good times. v brutal all around

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LukasR23 posted:

[04:19] Ramc: happy spring

nice

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I do remember thinking "seems like a strangely large amount of guys on that metal slug throne"

Bless-wise, FSR is mostly for my god when expanding, but trickles down well to my freespawn and sacred mages. The recup is also for my expander (who I don't think we've seen yet?) but also my freespawn. Immortal units have a chance of healing afflictions when they resurrect, but its only a chance, and the homesick spring immortal guys can get pretty messed up. It keeps them fighting trim and not dying to limps/crippled movement status and disease.

Witherweapons I went out of my way to get for my bee swarms and troops as a good on-hit weapon bless that can sideways kill stuff.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I appreciate that the dwarf army is still stranded after its bump with Lemnos.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Nice horrormark you have there on your vital unique unit.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

MA and EA Oceania are pretty forgettable and sort of boring to play. MA barely even has sacreds and you just end up massing lots of uw hoplites who are not even great on land because poor amphibian. The Sirens are a little funny I guess.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pladdicus posted:

what???

clowns.dm is a work of art in the truest of senses

Ramc
May 4, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

(which wouldn't really make a good faction for a strategy game, because they'd just show up, say "you saw me so you are now irrevocably insane, which I will use to turn you into my mindless puppet" and insta-win every game ever).

this is literally LA R'leyh, yeah

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Zereth posted:

No, I didn't say "cthulhu cultists". You can literally play Cthulhu And Friends as a faction, as has been mentioned.

you can legit play the king in yellow, mother hydra or yog sothoth as a pretender chassis. sick as hell

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

Could someone actually show off the popkill nations? I don't mean running a game with them, but a brief review of their various units and spells, maybe pretender build strategies? We are very unlikely to ever see them again in an LP, considering all that has been said, and I would really like to have a closer look.

If you don't mind (1) a VLP and (2) that it is mod popkill nation Mu (author of clowns.dm) has an LP of him playing a popkill mod nation of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPPZqwpR9Q

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I was getting a lot of milage out of mercs for my expansion this game, and I think I threshed through quite a lot of them.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Labs are, like sites, not visible to neighbors unless they have a spy or something there. Temples are visible however. I usually try to build my temple the same turn the fort would complete so there is less of a 'burn this province down' red flag for neighbors.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Am I right in thinking goons try and always be truthful in diplomacy in dom games with other goons, even if it's misleading? Or is that a myth?

That is generally true. The outright lies are usually saved for when you are about to win the game, for which everyone is like 'fair enough' by and large.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Vanilla Pan is still busted as hell, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Dominions factions tend to be kind of malign, but there are a few benign (if not 'good') nations out there. As for this mod game I guess it is an exercise to you, the reader, to absorb the lore and decide if it would be a good thing or a bad thing for the average person if a given faction took over.

wasps, uh, well it probably would not be great on average