Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

i think the biggest problem with this subforum is that absolutely nobody knows what it's supposed to be for, not even the mods. some people treat it as 'd&d, but with different mods'. personally I would say it's the Marxist political forum since you can do most of the same posting that happens here in the d&d forum, and it's really hard to actually argue with a liberal because you just have totally different base assumptions about the world. others treat it as some kind of weird friend zone and only post about lunch and buying respirators to brave the Wal-Mart exclusion zone. it has a lot of people posting in it which doesn't help any of this. i don't even, ultimately, particularly care what it's purpose is, so long as it has one.

also, nobody reads the stickies in this forum because the mods usually have it full of stupid poo poo, so it might be a while before anybody answers

It's probably not a mistake c-spam gets a doomer rep, because ultimately the forum sprang up partly from a D&D userbase and some of that energy is like a reaction away from the base assumptions (i.e. insane optimism) underpinning the forum ur talking about. Now sometimes that means you straighten your brain and become a materialist and other times it means you an insane russiagater crank who wants healthcare and hates the democrats and likes to post sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

flavius decided to probate some people and I was banned+30'd and it's since died.

I've oft wondered how many users are shed every time an admin/mod decides to go insane and beat c-spam with a stick. feels like huge chip damage over the years

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

WampaLord posted:

People calling honest descriptions of reality "doomposting" is a much bigger problem than megathreads, imo.

The moniker is definitely over applied to where cspam being doomer is meme level lexicon but the phenomenon is real, to an extent. Expecting bad news can act as a crutch rather than a realistic logical progression from present information.

e: to be clear, this isn't any call for enforcement (unless somebody would like to go insane like flavius) or really unique to c-spam but just goons base level over estimation of their own intelligence. Just that c-spam has discussion on actual downer topics without rigid enforcement from the happy police so it'll naturally end up in this annoyance zone from time to time.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Jun 25, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

good post from QCS that's relevant. I think it's ok to be depressed and angry but not to be either all the time, and I don't think you need to 'enforce optimism' to counter it. You simply need to not post like that all the time.

lmfao black august was a doomer, i knew it. but yeah I think, going to my last post the solution is just to probe ppl for being annoying. I think theres away been a bit of reticence about this because post have this political nature and punishments can appear as partial vs users. It always felt like Squizzle was grappling with this on how to get a handle on taintrunner, way back when, because he operated right in this zone of annoyance.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
make a 'too big, too fail' subforum and move megathreads in there imo bing bong. small cspam and big cspam. seperate but equal

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

when we talk about megathreads do we mean the threads with a large scope or the ones with a lot of traffic

the eurasia thread is the best one imo but with a huge scope but not much traffic and outside of china no one country umbrellad there could support its own thread thats why brutalist mcdonalds kept expanding the scope

hes a good poster btw not really clear why he stopped being a mod he was pretty good at it

I just think huge page count. Institutionalized threads, mostly always on page 1. i'm just still trying all these years later to make SJY's dream of small thread churn come true. It sorta can't exist because that kind of environment requires small threads to be visible on load which can't happen since theres 10 big dogs or w/e parked right there. I'm not actually opposed to big threads or anything, just think it would be interesting. change it up u kno

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Takanago posted:

since it's not like there was a "MCAFEE IS DEAD" thread.

exactly. when i woke up and theres was a "florida building front fell off" wtf do i post? i was like climate thread I guess. I rest my case mods & gentlemen

Also, while I never cared for it: it'd also make it easier to goldmine since the idea of goldmining a 800 page thread is lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the reason i rail so hard for it is that small cspam thread have had some pretty good rear end results for their size. it promotes cross pollination between posters, which is important for creating content imo. Look at the nathan robinson thread. fulfilled its purpose on page 3.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Is there a particular reason when you didn't find a thread, you didn't just make one for the topics? I mean like, OP creating effort aside, there wasn't some CSPAM rule written or unwitten that made you feel like you can't just make a thread when poo poo happens right?

I think you're fundamentally looking for engagement. The way it's set up doesn't disallow it, but also doesn't facilitate it. There is also a split in how people browse purely via bookmarks vs by clicking the subforum. So, even if you don't think it, you correlate this information into that split second decision. This is how 2 people came to different conclusions on where the same event should be posted about and all 3 of us didn't choose to make a small thread.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Jun 25, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Make a reports mock thread in cspam imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shine posted:

Taking those two extremely biased samples at face value, I'd be like "so is this a forum where white people will call me a traitor to Black America because I'm lightskinned, or some poo poo?" and that's not fair to C-SPAM.

You're welcome :911:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Also a weird amount of hate for chat thread people even though I see a lot of the chat thread people out in all the other threads...

chat thread mods causing mucho problems, terrible repetitive posters invading threads they never post in, etc don't cause endearment

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

people keep saying this is a leftist forum for leftists to talk about things but i look around and mostly see liberals

nancy pelosi is a leftist. tv says so

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i prefer to think it was the result of a curse.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

skooma512 posted:

See, I don’t understand why there’s always someone demanding to atomize communities and posters into more and more specific sub forums. Leftists need to go to the leftist sub forum, ok now some are getting too rowdy in their threads so leftist poo poo posting needs to happen in C-SPAM-> Shitposting now, ok now some of that isn’t what I want to read anymore so now it needs to be C-SPAM-> Shitposting -> Double Shitposting

this is why you make the big thread subforum in c-spam. so you come in the door. boom its little bitch thread land. then you click another button to go to big rear end thread land. but as your mouse is moving over whats this, oh this thread looks interesting. boom. engagement. its loving genius, all postives with no negatives. your welcome.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Going 5 subforums in to find the concentrated shitposting thread that's two bots posting 'beefer' and 'tormp' back and forth...

I don't necessarily have an issue with CSPAM subforums though, actually. But how to split them and does doing so achieve the results people want? I mean even in this thread we have people disagreeing about which threads are 'quality' or 'sincere' or what not.

Like I'm sure the COVID19 people think they're thread is a good, serious non-chat thread. But there are obviously a number of other CSPAM posters that think its just as much of a heap as the Trump thread.

If you go for something like "effort post" v. "casual post" subforums I worry were just going to recreate D and D but yet that seems like the easier division.

I don't think it'd be split along chat vs whatever lines. Just old/established vs spontaneous/short. It's just a solution to bookmarks/crews. The idea is how do you promote engagement against threads that already have their groups established. Not necessarily effort vs no effort. Would such a structure actually do anything? Nobody knows...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Megathreads are a boon for small threads because you can post "hey I started a thread for X, come post here if you're interested" and you get like 600 people seeing it instead of just hoping interested people stumble across it before it gets knocked off page 1

You would still be able to do this if they were if big thread land was the cspam subforum

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Carving up the forum into one for big and small threads feels like changing something just to change it. Strictly categorizing threads does not seem very c-spam. The best answer might be making the button to sort by thread creation time more prominent.

Absolutely, but also Squizzle was hyping having total forum control so let's do something cool imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol snoo would have definitely fell instantly to the drama as they wielded their ikship to smite their enemies and been trapped in the cycle of grievance until naught but bones remained

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

make pener a mod. i bet he'd hate it haha

now we're talking

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

resistentialism posted:

Does (apparently) objectionable trump thread material really get posted frequently in other threads? I mean besides the times when someone who doesn't like it happening in the trump thread brings it up to argue something. I don't read a whole ton of threads most of the time so this is a real question.

duscat backed up flavius in stirring up poo poo in the marxism thread until it got deleted lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Oliwan used to pick fights in the glenn thread, and pull trump thread posters into the glenn thread.

Dustcat came into the marxism thread and only started posting explicitly to scold larry lmao.

luring people into the glenn thread is its purpose though, hell i wish it happened more

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
cumshitter, you're gay

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

What was that again about cracking down on weird group dogpiles

lol don't beg mods jfc, bear the weight of your posts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
please, regarde post in pyf like a loser

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

c-spam is, at best, completely unrecognizable from what it used to be.

part of this is because the world is obviously changing and such but huge groups of posters have left or been banned at several different points. the trump thread has mostly become unrecognizable from what it used to be, idk if its for the better or not.

honestly my energy levels for posting have gone way, way down (maybe that's for the best) and i mostly can lay it at the feet at how poorly this group has been stewarded and the complete mismanagement from lowtax and the administration.

e: this came off a bit more "get off my lawn" and whiny-as-hell than i meant it to be. i guess mostly what i'm saying is that I don't even know what the point of the forum is anymore. there were several different times I thought I "got it" and then a whole bunch of the people got banned or left for good.

To be fair, this is because your usual haunts are limited. Trump & Bernie being blown away are ofc gonna change the crews. Podcast thread, for example, same as its ever been.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah, the Climate Change thread is about the same as it was 6 years ago, too. I can understand why most people don't want to hang out in that thread, though.

climate thread occupying a ravenholm'esqe status in cspam never fails to make me lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
jeffrey unban eox plox

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

I am familiar with hundreds of users who post in the major themed CSPAM threads (Epstein/COVID/Climate/Doomsday). I barely recognize two people in here who populate those. That goes for the last two pages, the first two pages, and many in between.

Just acknowledging that an influx of randos who are absolutely unrecognizable in CSPAM themed threads are largely the self-appointed decisionmakers about CSPAM here.

When a feedback thread is made that is specific to one subcommunity, recognize that there is nothing that can be done to prevent this monopoly of influence coming in from the other competing subcommunities, mainly those who tend to gravitate towards feedback threads instead of the high-content themed threads in question.

i wish i was familiar with u shutting the gently caress up bro

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

kronix posted:

CSPAM is FYAD for losers who like politics and have no sense of humor. None of us (myself included) could have handled FYAD in its heyday.

Also, please let us make fun of DnD. Pretty please mods.

not true. I would have fired an rpg into fyad and killed htem all. handled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

I believe we should make the following sweeping changes to things that displease me, personally:

its incredible