Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Athanatos posted:

There seem to be a lot of not politics threads for a politics forum

I think more than anything, being leftists means we have a different attitude towards even what would be normally considered "non-political" topics. I want to say we're pretty much all in agreement that everything is political, which will definitely put us at odds with the denizens of other subforums that usually focuses on those topics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Athanatos posted:

At odds how? Does that make CSPAM a Safe Spot or a Quarantine Zone? Kinda joking with that 2nd question one there...but also wouldn't mind some elaboration.

the answer is yes, haha. I don't really mean that we're a bunch of raucous people who are hard to get along with, but I understand wanting to talk about some of these "off topic" subjects with more like-minded people in CSPAM because there's a culture and an approach to subject matter that's endemic to this forum. moreover:

Larry Parrish posted:

i think it's ok to have off topic poo poo but I don't think it's terribly ok to have off topic threads if that makes sense. the gaming thread is kind of an exception because there's a lot to talk about when it comes to politics in books and games and movies. music is a less useful discussion topic imo but related. parenting and gardening and etc have basically no place here and appear to just be chat threads. i guess you could make the argument that the gardening one could be about organizing community gardens but somehow I doubt it.

I suppose there's a gradient here as to how related to the forum's "purpose" a thread is, but I don't know why a given forum's community can't have a little off topic thread about something. if there wasn't a desire for a parenting thread in CSPAM, it wouldn't be frequented and wouldn't be on the first page. but I think other people have a stronger idea of what a forum's purpose is meant to be than I do, which I respect

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the only thread I've seen where I'm worried about the posters' mental health (in a genuine way) is the covid one. I don't know what to do about that, though

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Granted, is the current chat thread a big deal beyond it has its own thread culture that a bit out of step with Cspam? (That said, it was perhaps time it was relabeled considered how far is strayed.)

the current CSPAM chat thread isn't really, it's just the Trump thread remade like minutes after the last one was gassed and forbidden for being weird.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't think the Trump thread is in tune with the rest of CSPAM but I don't care because I don't read it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a way we can discuss the covid thread? maybe tomorrow? I don't want to be antagonistic towards them, either, but I do think it bears talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

wasn't the Trump thread originally gotten rid of during the Flavius incident for a reason? it seemed really blatant when they just remade it and called it something else. still the same people in it